Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

The "Boooooom" drive

chershey

So, for the last few months whenever a friend and I play we hit what I like to call a "Booooom" drive on a couple of holes. This is a drive where we have to yell BOOM as loud as we can during the downswing and try to rip it. What I find interesting about this, other than the fact that we haven't gotten kicked off the course for yelling at the top of our lungs, is that these are usually our best drives of the day. They always seem to end up down the middle and long. This has made me wonder if I should be doing this every time.

Now, this brings in a few issues. One, I would feel like a fool yelling Booooooom every time I hit a drive, especially if I misfit one and people that remember the amazing "Hammer" driver would think I'm trying to impersonate the incredible Jack Hamm from the infomercials. While he is an idol in the game of golf, I may still look like an idiot. Two, I might be pushing my luck with too many Boom drives and this may anger the golf gods. All of us avid golfers know this is always a bad move!

So, I am now trying another tactic. Instead of yelling Booooom, I think it as loud as I can during my downswing and try to rip it. Believe it or not, in my experimentations at the driving range, it's added about 5 mph of club head speed when testing using my ES14 launch monitor. The drives also seem to be long and straight. I have yet to try this on the course but I'll be testing it later this week and you better believe that if it works you'll see my infomercial coming out in the coming months!

In all seriousness, I think what's really happening with these hard swings going so straight is that I'm staying on path and not trying to steer the ball down the middle. It's not very often that I hear someone who says they try to swing their driver "easy" hit the ball very consistently. I'm firmly in the "grip and rip it!" belief camp.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

"Boom!" Great post!! Now I won't be able to keep that out of my head while swinging the driver. I've found really trying to rip it for me leads to a big ol' over the top and a pull hook into Wisconsin. Let us know how it works for you.

Hey, if it works, the why doesn't really matter.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I like this post. I was at the point for a while earlier this season where I was trying to "swing easy" to hit more fairways. For some people I'm sure it works well, but not so much for me. Slowing down gives me more time to think and to try and steer the ball and control my impact (stupid). Trying to make adjustments in the downswing is no way yo play golf. The results were disastrous.

I guess I got to the point where frustration led me to the brink and I just stopped caring where the ball was going to go. My buddy who conveniently doubles as my coach has been trying to get me to this point of not caring for a year now. Obviously I care and want to play well but I'm finally there. No thinking about mechanics, no thinking about the result. Just choosing my target and making a confident and aggressive swing. Most importantly, accepting bad shots by laughing it off instead of beating myself up.

I'm in on the "grip it and rip it" camp. Golf is fun again.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I have on several occasions swung out of my shoes after screwing up a hole and bombed a drive. Nothing like letting go and ripping. However, I've noticed a more controlled swing also produces good drives especially when I'm cruising.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I've found that I can swing hard as long as my head and spine angle stay fairly steady. I'm finally getting the hang of it.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I would imagine this working for certain players. There are plenty of pitchers who grunt when they throw or tennis players who do the same when they volley. It doesn't sound all that crazy to me.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

There is certainly something to this.  In my own experience, if I say or think don't go left I usually find myself going left.  

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

There is certainly something to this. In my own experience, if I say or think don't go left I usually find myself going left.

That's because the brain cannot process negative thought, so when you say to yourself don't go left, your brain hears, go left. What we should say to ourselves Hit it straight.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I would imagine this working for certain players. There are plenty of pitchers who grunt when they throw or tennis players who do the same when they volley. It doesn't sound all that crazy to me.

Yeah, it might also have to do with exhaling during the downswing because while yelling Boom. I know from working out, you have more strength and power to lift that little bit extra when your breathing out. Maybe working hard on controlling your breathing, like we've heard some many golf teachers state, is the key.

I think Peter Jacobson used to say or think "Haaaaaaaaaam Buuurger" during his swing. Ham on the up swing nice and slowly then burger on the quick down swing...frankly, doing this will make me hungry and I'd be thinking about eating a hamburger after the front 9...lol. My only swing thought is to make a full shoulder turn and everything unwinds automatically. Always seem to hit it longer with a full turn.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

V pc n793rd

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I was struggling with my drives yesterday and when I got to the last hole the group in front of me was on the green and there was no one behind me so I decided to give this a try.  While I didnt have the best drive of my life, I did have a much straighter ball flight and it was right in the middle of the fairway.  I didnt yell "BOOM!", but I did say it somewhat loudly.  I then took out a second ball to see if it would work two times in a row, and it didnt.  But that was more user error I think.  Yelling/saying "BOOM!" is an interesting idea, and I might try it more if I am struggling, or really need to get one in the fairway.

Driver: Ping G30 SFTech Stiff Flex

3W: Cobra F9, Atmos TS Blue 7S

5W: Cobra F6

4H: Cobra F7 4-5H 22* Stiff Flex

5-PW: Taylormade RSI TP +1/2", 2* Upright, Stiff Flex (DG S400)

50, 54: Titleist Vokey SM6 Steel Grey, F-Grind/M-Grind

So far, so good. I played yesterday with the Boom drive mentality and crushed a few drives past where I have ever been on the course. The most impressive part was that I didn't have any drives that put me in trouble. I shot 5 over on a day when my putting was very, very poor (how do you miss a 3 foot birdie putt?! How?!), but the rest of my game was pretty solid.

• 2 weeks later...

I had 3 rounds in Myrtle Beach this weekend. So far the grip it and rip it mentality is paying off. I hit some of my longest drives of all time this weekend and only had a few drives that got away from me.  I still can't compete with my verbal "Booooom" drives though. I had 3 drives where I yelled Boom very, very loudly, and hit it 312, 291, and 265 (that one was dead into the wind). Just for reference my average drive on my Gamegolf Live system before I started this new mentality was around 250. This weekend I averaged 270 and hit 50% of my fairways. Grip it and rip it is here to stay! Of course, I was only use the 4th longest rated driver in the MGS Most Wanted Driver test. Just imagine how long I'd be with the extra 5 yards I'd get with a Taylormade M driver! :)

BOOOOM!

works for this guy. Need an MGS review

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

My group and I tried this on one hole last week and unfortunately all 4 of us hit our worst shots of the day, I really really really wanted this to work for me

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Weird! Maybe you guys didn't yell it loud enough. Haha, I guess it's not for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Maybe if you beat your chest while swinging...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Archived