What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

24 minutes ago, ILMgolfnut said:

Got a cortisone shot in my right shoulder then went out and hit about 70 balls. As I sorta expected, the first few shots were hitting the big ball before the little one, but it got better. Worked through the bag from wedges to driver. Also did some bunker work and hit some putts. Direction with the DF2.1 is good, speed needs work. But 7-9 rounds in the UK should provide that.

Man - looking forward to hearing how the trip to the UK goes - that is a bucketlist item in my book.  Hope you have safe travels and all time best scoring. 

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

48 minutes ago, Willie T said:

Man - looking forward to hearing how the trip to the UK goes - that is a bucketlist item in my book.  Hope you have safe travels and all time best scoring. 

I've got a Scotland preview of my first tournament (at Royal Dornoch) already posted, to be updated after the tournament on the 6th. Goal: Avoid DFL.

And I have all sorts of tips on how to make that bucket list trip a reality without requiring a Chapter 7 filing. Happy to share with you if you want them.

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

I went out to the range today after work to celebrate the start of summer shutdown. It was a bit warm out there with temps in the low 90's and humidity making it feel around 100. Fortunately, it was cloudy for part of the time I was out there and there was a pretty nice breeze blowing. 

The bad thing was, it was mats only today with the hot, dry weather and the one I was in had a hole near my feet. 

It started out kind of rough, I wasn't making the greatest of contact but I sorted that out after a while. I did figure out that I'm not committing to the shot and seemed to be decelerating at the moment of impact. I finally started to commit and the shots got better. 

I only hit driver a couple of times since I couldn't get my tee far enough down in it, but I did not hit those shots well at all. 

Spent some time on the chipping green to finish the day off. It took a few shots but I finally started to get in a groove. My distance control needs some work, but contact is getting better. 

On 6/27/2024 at 4:17 AM, Donn lost in San Diego said:

I started doing that also a few months ago on the range.  I only take 3 or 4 clubs, but I hit 1 or 2 balls, switch club, hit 1 or 2 balls, switch club, and I jump around, I don't progress from shortest to next shortest.  Teaches me how to mentally RESET and re-address each shot.  I feel sad to see especially newcomers swinging at ball after ball without any mental processing. 

Going to the range is conducive to hitting balls like a robot, I like playing with 3 balls off the T then pick the worst position ball and play the 3 balls again and again from the worst lie until holed. This is something I wished the teaching Pro I had before taught me but all he did was try to get me to hit a bloody 7 seven iron 😢 bloody dumb 😱

I never realized I should have been conducting an interview, yeah I have a low opinion of Golf pro's...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

39 minutes ago, ILMgolfnut said:

I've got a Scotland preview of my first tournament (at Royal Dornoch) already posted, to be updated after the tournament on the 6th. Goal: Avoid DFL.

And I have all sorts of tips on how to make that bucket list trip a reality without requiring a Chapter 7 filing. Happy to share with you if you want them.

I'm green with envy but I'll enjoy what you post on your trip, wish I could do it 👍

Edited by Bang60
Error

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Spent about an hour putting this evening while listening to the recap of the community call with Vice (highly recommend listening to this if you haven’t yet!).

Still seeing some inconsistency with my stroke on a number of putts…work in progress.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

11 hours ago, TJ Hall said:

Still seeing some inconsistency with my stroke on a number of putts…work in progress.

What's your  process and what does inconsistency with stroke mean?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Practiced chipping from 5 to 10 yards short of the green this has always been a weakness in my game. It has been improving this year but my distance control still isn't where I want it to be, I'm either too long or too short and most of the greens on the course I play slope from back to front so chipping above the holes is not good. I am so afraid to go above the hole that I leave my chip way short, so practice, practice, practice. 

Frank musolino 

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

What's your  process and what does inconsistency with stroke mean?

I have a tendency to get the club face open on the back stroke which results in a push or over compensating and pulling the putt.

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

1 hour ago, TJ Hall said:

I have a tendency to get the club face open on the back stroke which results in a push or over compensating and pulling the putt.

so stop rotating your hands/forearms  🤣

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Big moose said:

I am so afraid to go above the hole that I leave my chip way short, so practice, practice, practice. 

What are you afraid of?   You'd rather just leave the chip way short/double chip than get the ball on the green?   putts of the same distance uphiill or downhill don't have that much of a difference in make percentages. 

53 minutes ago, cnosil said:

so stop rotating your hands/forearms  🤣

Thanks @cnosil, I was wondering what I was doing wrong!!!  Along the lines of just stop missing putts.

Much easier said than done…putting has been a struggle the last few rounds.  RNK/Kingsmill broke me!

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

What are you afraid of?   You'd rather just leave the chip way short/double chip than get the ball on the green?   putts of the same distance uphiill or downhill don't have that much of a difference in make percentages. 

These greens are sloped so severally that if you are 5 feet above the hole and miss the putt you might putt it off the front and have to chip again. That's what I'm afraid of. 

Frank musolino 

38 minutes ago, Big moose said:

These greens are sloped so severally that if you are 5 feet above the hole and miss the putt you might putt it off the front and have to chip again. That's what I'm afraid of. 

Then you have unfair greens or pin placements.  Why don't the chips roll back off the green?

Edited by cnosil

I’m either stubborn or stupid.

Titleist TSi 1 driver 10 degrees. Straight as an arrow. Will win a closest to the line every time. Club settings are normal A1 position. 40 gram Aldila Ascent shaft stiff flex. 
Cobra Aerojet Max 10.5 degree. Always a large fade. Set to draw position and still a large fade. Helium 5F3 shaft Reg flex. The 16 gram weight is rear center with the 8 gram in the heel.

I keep trying to get along with the Aerojet but the Titleist says. Get back in the closet. Center strikes on both clubs.
Here is today’s Aerojet strikes. IMG_0882.jpeg.51a41b9354e0b02bc25aff2732219889.jpeg

I going to switch the weights and see if that helps. I really do want to get along with this club.  Another session tomorrow after my round. 
Funny part is the 3,5, and 7 woods have the same shaft and they go straight. Hmmm

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Day 163 (29 Jun 24) - a little backyard fun with the grandson today.  We had a chipping contest - club of choice, soft foam ball mandatory.  I stuck with the scoring irons (8-PW) while he went long (5h-3w-D).  I love his confidence to hit off the deck, especially driver….needless to say he’s pretty doggone accurate, while I pretty much parred (we play the holes as threes) he captured a couple of birdies.  

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Duplicate post….

Edited by Willie T

It’s hot here in Fort Worth.  Hit the range for 30 mins, chipped for 30 mins and putted for 30 mins.  That was about as much as I could handle in this heat without playing.

In My Bag

TM Qi10 Core, PX HZD Smoke Black, 6.5 

TM Qi10 5W, PX Hzds Smoke Black, 6.5

TM P-UDI 2i, PX Hzds Smoke Black, 6.5

TM P790 4-PW TT DG X100

TM Hi Toe Raw 50, 54, 58

Evnroll ER5 Hatchback

TM TP5X Yellow

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I’m either stubborn or stupid.

Titleist TSi 1 driver 10 degrees. Straight as an arrow. Will win a closest to the line every time. Club settings are normal A1 position. 40 gram Aldila Ascent shaft stiff flex. 
Cobra Aerojet Max 10.5 degree. Always a large fade. Set to draw position and still a large fade. Helium 5F3 shaft Reg flex. The 16 gram weight is rear center with the 8 gram in the heel.

I keep trying to get along with the Aerojet but the Titleist says. Get back in the closet. Center strikes on both clubs.
Here is today’s Aerojet strikes. IMG_0882.jpeg.51a41b9354e0b02bc25aff2732219889.jpeg

I going to switch the weights and see if that helps. I really do want to get along with this club.  Another session tomorrow after my round. 
Funny part is the 3,5, and 7 woods have the same shaft and they go straight. Hmmm

Just goes to show how one may need something different in driver than woods and how things like length, weight, balance can affect timing

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

was trying to play 9 or 18 yesterday but couldn't find a dry spot in central Florida, so I ended up at the driving range...

hit through a small bucket, about 4 or 5 balls per club then went off to do some short chips (10ft-12ft) from the short rough around the green...

then i finished the session on the putting green... and i have to say putting practice has really worked... a lot...

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ~John Stuart Mill

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope." ~Winston Churchill

Currently Gaming:

Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke 10.5, Ventus Blue Velo 6S

Woods: Callaway Ai Smoke 3W, Callaway Ai Smoke 5W, Project X Hzrdus Black 6.0 70g

Irons: Mizuno MP 245 (4I thru GW), NS Pro Modus Tour 120X

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM10 54.10 S Grind, 58.14 K Grind 

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

Good session today. Working on some swing feels of up, down and around. Seemed to go well. Then did some shot shaping experimentation and then face strike drills. Did the Distance wedges with the Dewiz and both wedges. Full SW about 105 and LW about 85.  Realized that my full swing wedges launch so high. I don’t need that. May be looking into new wedges with higher cg and the 8i spinner trick to lower launch. Finished with driver which was pretty good. 

Did some short game practice with both wedges. Regaining some confidence with my 58°

Putting green working on my eye like. Saw a Malaska video talking about it. I started holing a lot more putts that I have typically been missing lately. Need to trend the data. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 70g (back up :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" )

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Had a productive range day today. Worked on throwing my hands down faster and through my downswing. Also worked on sitting into my downswing. Signs point to improvement but you never know until you can repeat it and take it to the course. 

Qi10 Max was pretty good on the few that I hit. Working on my increasing my launch angle a bit, getting there. 

Also got in a little wedge practice, still holding pretty well in that area. Same goes for putting, the Mizuno M.Craft is just so solid. I cannot recommend it enough.

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :mizuno-small: M.Craft Type VI

Ball: :odin:

Just a little indoor putting practice, working as always on quieting my hands and wrists and reducing face rotation in the stroke.

Also testing out the claw grip to see if that helps. Also left hand low. They both feel awkward but will keep practicing and see if either becomes better for me over time...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Been having a terrible time now that I'm all healed up. That'll teach me to play golf while injured (ha, unlikely!) Now that my rib pain is gone, I'm back to my full range of motion and speed, and I am way out of kilter. I can't close the club face on my irons for the life of me! My woods are pretty spot on still, need a little more working but they go mostly straight with a small fade or push generally. The real issue now is that I swing them differently from my irons with a fast tempo. Before my ribs got jacked up, I swung my irons the same, but I had to slow it down or I would chunk it while my ribs were messed up. Now that I'm healed, I lost the feel of it, and I'm just can't close the face, I don't know what the hell happened. It's getting very frustrating. I had a fitting scheduled at Club Champion, but it didn't matter what they gave me, I was slicing it way offline. The fitter felt bad and so I have another fitting scheduled tentatively for next month. Current plan: I ordered a matzilla and a net and am going to be spending a lot of time in my backyard trying to figure out how to hit the ball straight again.

Day 164 (30 Jun 24) - 1/2 swing Sunday w/7i…Right knee a little tender, so just did some punchy iron shots using the hard foam balls.  Focused really getting core rotation.  Hit about 20 shots total - 1/2 from flat lie, 1/2 from varied lie (above feet, below feet, taller grass, etc).  

This drill has helped me so much with my irons 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8k830dNhGK/?igsh=MXJoN285MWxmNjdrMQ==

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Setup4Impact (Kirk Junge) Drill-1 with a 9i; did lead hand, trail hand and both hands 20-reps each without a ball and 10-reps each with a ball. This drill involves a very short swing (about the length of a short chip) but from a full swing setup and is designed to get the body working correctly through impact.

Then practiced chip shots to a target about 3-paces ahead with SW and 9i about 10 reps each. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft 

Ping ChipR - Alta CB regular flex shaft

Cleveland CBX4 50*- Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Tour Edge Exotics Wingman 56* M/N - Recoil DART 90 F3 shaft

Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Seven DB with Garsen Max grip 

Other: Vice Pro or Snell Prime 3.0; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Did a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

Day 165 (1 Jul 24) - Continued work with setup and easy pitches with 7irons and hard foam balls while working with the ClawDaddy gloves and well used grips…

22 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

This drill has helped me so much with my irons 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8k830dNhGK/?igsh=MXJoN285MWxmNjdrMQ==

I was coming here for a drill to help me with shaft lean at impact  and you provided without me even needing to ask! Thank you!

Started playing June '23. Currently a 19 hcp

2024 WITB

Dr - Kirkland Signature 10.5* 

5w 18* - Callaway Mavrik 

4h 20*- Callaway Mavrik

9w - Callaway Big Bertha

5i-PW - Maltby TS-1

50*/54*/58* - Maltby Max Milled Wedges

P -  (L.A.B. DF3 Coming Soon!)