Testers Wanted! Volvik Golf Balls ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

10 hours ago, BallsLeon said:

Had my first chance to swing the autoFlex last night... so here's a teaser to entice folks to join us in the autoFlex review thread! 

Haha me and the Fiancé both loved the song choice 👌🏽 

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

My warm up before playing a round at Kicking Bird was solid. I generally hit a few balls with a driver then a PW. Next I hit with a 3 wood then 9I. I try mix my club lengths so that I have to learn how to use different lengths on the fly. Now my time on the course after warming up is a discussion I do not want to have.

Practiced at the range while my daughter took golf lessons.  Worked on the take-away to break my habit of rolling my wrists and getting the club stuck behind me.  Finally back to hitting some solid shots.

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Day 109 (4 May 24) - Easy pitches w/Pw in the backyard.  Focused on smoothly coming thru the ball.  Kept the distance to 20yds or less.  

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

4 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Had a really amazingly interesting garage range session this afternoon. I've been working with Jayson Nickol for a while now on my swing, and this past week, he mentioned this video in which Justin Rose talked about his pre-swing feel and the way it shapes his actual swing:

Like many of us, I've struggled for quite some time to have a feel to consistently shallow the club and neutralize my swing path.

So I took this thought to my garage, measuring everything with Mevo+ and DeWiz (which measures whether your hand path on the downswing is above, below, or on plane with your backswing, and whether your steepening or shallowing the club in transition, among other things).

So here's a version of me rehearsing the feel, and what it looked like with an actual swing (8 iron):

For the, the feel is

• Stretch to the top of the backswing, with the intent of pointing the shaft parallel to the target line, then
  • Drop the hands to the trail pocket before turning, 
  • With my trail hand palm pointing back toward the camera
  • Then turn and hit the ball.

20240504_185217~2.jpg

This isn't the longest 8 iron I've ever hit, because I'm still trying to get comfy with the new pattern. But I don't often see a right path on my swing, so that was encouraging.

Very smooth transition!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

10 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Had a really amazingly interesting garage range session this afternoon. I've been working with Jayson Nickol for a while now on my swing, and this past week, he mentioned this video in which Justin Rose talked about his pre-swing feel and the way it shapes his actual swing:

Like many of us, I've struggled for quite some time to have a feel to consistently shallow the club and neutralize my swing path.

So I took this thought to my garage, measuring everything with Mevo+ and DeWiz (which measures whether your hand path on the downswing is above, below, or on plane with your backswing, and whether your steepening or shallowing the club in transition, among other things).

So here's a version of me rehearsing the feel, and what it looked like with an actual swing (8 iron):

For the, the feel is

• Stretch to the top of the backswing, with the intent of pointing the shaft parallel to the target line, then

20240504_185217~2.jpg

This isn't the longest 8 iron I've ever hit, because I'm still trying to get comfy with the new pattern. But I don't often see a right path on my swing, so that was encouraging.

Thanks for sharing @GolfSpy MPR - looks like a great practice session!

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Today's focus is loading my front side in transition to use more ground force instead of getting over-the-top trying to generate power. Practice is video'ed dry swings off carpet. Started to see results on camera and can now associate them with a specific feel during those swings. Next step is to bring this to the range on Tuesday to see what ball flight looks like with (hopefully) replicated feels.

• Callaway Epic Max LS
  • Cobra Radspeed 3w
  • TM RBZ 19º Hybrid
  • New Level 902-PD 5-PW 
  • Callaway Jaws 52
  • Cleveland RTX 56
  • Alien 60
  • Odessy Dual Force II CS#5 Putter

Will probably be setting up the nets for a little backyard practice while tending the meat making hot boxes...

Need to work on slower swings for better consistency results. Although a net won't tell me path, it will show me mishits and slight trajectories. 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

14 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Looking pretty good, Sir!!

I've been working on something very similar - although the instructor referred to it as "lowering" the club head. Also fwiw a key move that Monte Scheinblum advocates. 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

For the, the feel is

20240504_185217~2.jpg

Wonderful. Looking really good and it’s awesome to see your progress! Saw you posted this in X and had to give it a try myself. It’s quite an amazing drill. I would do it in the past but never did the trail palm away from target. I think that is the key. Thanks for sharing!

here is me doing it today filmed slo mo for anyone interested. 

Edited by Vegan_Golfer_PNW

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 70g (back up :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" )

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Another thing I’ve practiced the last week is improving my green reading. I am a big fan of Rebellion golf and Monte’s work. Forgot I had this video as part of a series (you’ll need to pay and I won’t spoil the magic). Seriously I kinda laughed and then tried it on the putting green. It was insanely close and deadly within 10’. I then tried it at home (my floor is not level) and it worked there as well. Basically similar to aimpoint but uses triangulation. 

https://video.rebelliongolf.com/programs/voodoo-green-reading

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 70g (back up :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" )

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Day 110 (5 May 24) - mirror work today, focused on “feel of weight onto lead foot” to enhance trusting foot for full pressure of weight. 

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Got to the range today and hit balls for just under an hour.  Worked through the entire bag, hit some good one and some bad ones…just wasn’t very consistent.  Will keep working on it!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I took even numbered irons &PW, to the course to practice a variety of shots . Trying to use different clubs for stock yardages on the other odd numbered irons .

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

On 5/4/2024 at 5:17 PM, ILMgolfnut said:

Rypstick session today. Speeds at the end weren't quite what I got earlier in the week but the last swing was 83, which is more like my new "normal". The rest were high-70s.

Also, Rypstick offers a free swing analysis by its inventor, Dr. Luke Benoit, who is a PGA pro as well as a biomechanical expert (thus the doctoral degree). They have you take video face on and down the line. Since I was already warmed up from Rypstick, I had GF video my swing out in the driveway and emailed it to them. They said it will take a few days for Dr. Benoit to get back to me with the results.

Then I hit about five balls in the garage just because. Might get on the treadmill later; my hikes through airports last week convinced me I need some more cardio. I might even do it with my golf bag slung over my shoulders.

Stick with the training. It works wonders. Some weeks will be lower, some will be higher. I'm 4 months in now. Started at an average of 95. I hit a new PR of 112 on friday.  When playing it's around 105ish. Some of my weeks are fast, some of them I slide backwards. It's okay though. 

Driver - Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 9 degree @ 44.5"

3 wood - Cobra LTDx max 

Taylormade sim 4hybrid through PW

Mizuno S22 wedges - 50, 54 and 58

Putter - Odyssey white hot OG 1

Making time to practice is so essential. I hardly ever practiced before in the past, but now I'm getting out at least once a week even if it's just wiffle balls in the backyard. I go out often with my neighbor to play an executive course because we get to play free since his father-in-law lives in the community. I was able to meet them on the back 9 and started off with 3 pars and then a birdie. Next I had my blowup hole with 2 OBs off the tee, but finished with a triple, then par bogey par bogey on last 4 holes. If I was smart I would've just dropped on the first OB and saved most likely 2 strokes. Overall I was very happy and love to see all the practice show up on the course. I'm playing Torrey Pines South this Friday, so I plan to hit the range tomorrow and Thursday to work Driver a little plus chipping and putting. 

Cheers!

:taylormade-small: R11

:1332069271_TommyArmour: 3H 18°

:adams-small: 4i-PW XTD Tour

:titleist-small: SM9 52° & 58°

Top Flite Gamer Putter (Previous: Ping Anser from my dad, but he took it back 😠😅

PFM! Pure...Magic!

Swung some practice clubs in the backyard...

20240506_173915.jpg.6933b8c2364082c4e498b8ec65db9187.jpg

The small headed Orange Whip is their Light Speed .. I alternate between the regular Trainer and this.

Then the Lag Shot 7i helping me get the feel of moving my wrists better coming into and thru impact. Bottom is an old tempo trainer that I probably use (and need!) be most. 

Hopefully tomorrow some range, and maybe a little course, time...

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

32 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Swung some practice clubs in the backyard...

20240506_173915.jpg.6933b8c2364082c4e498b8ec65db9187.jpg

The small headed Orange Whip is their Light Speed .. I alternate between the regular Trainer and this.

Then the Lag Shot 7i helping me get the feel of moving my wrists better coming into and thru impact. Bottom is an old tempo trainer that I probably use (and need!) be most. 

Hopefully tomorrow some range, and maybe a little course, time...

All good training to be able to swing the Autoflex Dream 7 shaft.  😃

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8 hours ago, Haile said:

Stick with the training. It works wonders. Some weeks will be lower, some will be higher. I'm 4 months in now. Started at an average of 95. I hit a new PR of 112 on friday.  When playing it's around 105ish. Some of my weeks are fast, some of them I slide backwards. It's okay though. 

Oh, I'm sticking with it, along with Fit For Golf at the same time. Nice work on the 112 PR. I would be thrilled to get into the 90s consistently, or at all. Consistent 85 on the course would suit me. I'm already seeing better distance on the course too.

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

All good training to be able to swing the Autoflex Dream 7 shaft.  😃

Nice - we'll have to do a swap driver test!!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Had a solid simulator practice session today. Since it’s been rainy cold here in northern Utah, the simulator came to the rescue! After playing 9 holes to get some swings in I wanted to spend time on my approach shots. I bounced between 60, 80 and 95 yard shots. 
Today was my day apparently! I averaged distance to the hole under 15 feet out of 30 shots! I need to remember everything I did today so a routine can be made 😂

It’s been raining on and off for what feels like forever. Busted out a cheap Amazon find and practiced in my home office. Real focus was just making good contact and consistent swings. The kids even joined for a round or two. 

IMG_0348.jpeg

“Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented.” -Arnold Palmer

So, still waiting for the putting mat that I ordered, but still chomping at the bit to get some putting in with the DF3... need to start getting accustomed to the feel! So, I stood in the house wondering, then it came to me. Flip the area rug around and use one of the furniture impression marks as a hole! Damn if it didn't work! 

Now I have an alternative to the putting mat! In all seriousness, I've been chomping at the bit to work with the DF3 and the weather here has been rainy/overcast/foggy/humid, so not much is getting done outdoors right now. The biggest problem now? The wife is gonna KILL me! 

Was able to get outside and do some work with the 8i after setting this up and hitting several putts, so overall a productive lunch! Now, I need to grab a bite to eat! 
Hope everyone has a great day and that golf figures into your plans as well! 🏌🏼⛳

Driver: image.png.f2fe7619b0a04dd4a12ac39783f39b10.png Aerojet LS 10.5 image.png.3c329ee54f4af0d332191de3b277d11b.png Kai Li 60R                 3 wood: default_taylormade-small.jpg.79932727ec2389ce0aa081d30367fb26.jpg M2

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Speedblades 4i-PW                                                 Wedge: Cleveland.png.d2fe634fd9a3aaef5fed913a65c8e7dd.png CBX

Sand:  Wilson.gif.d7be7e11732484fb3c7959312e0e3bf3.gif Wilson Pro Staff                                                    Putter: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Spider / Tester:  image.png.b7573f2e65bd0b7d6e014f5a8fa57579.png DF3

Ball: image.png.3706b1d653d1cf95b7231645d19bf8ad.png Pro shade                                                                        Cart: image.png.c49446b33f13453112cc2c4ef189d63d.pngQuad XL

"The more I work and practice, the luckier I seem to get.” -Gary Player

“The proper score for a businessman golfer is 90. If he is better than that he is neglecting his business. If he’s worse, he’s neglecting his golf.” -St Andrews Rotary Club Member

Day 112 (7 May 24) - Pulled out the old MacGregor blades today for some backyard swings with the old irons.  Hit the 7 and 6 focused on tempo in addition to setup.  Had some solid swings, but some were very heely (thankfully I was using the hard foam balls).  Fun day with the old clubs. 

Hadn't touched my clubs for a week before yesterday, I've been studying to take the PMP exam and something had to give. Since working, cooking for the family, and lifting are non-negotiable, golf has suffered but I'm looking at this brief two week break like an early season bye week in the NFL: a chance to get some rest and reload for the season.

Still, I got everything I needed to do done early and was able to hit the range yesterday. I did the "Top 12" game twice and predictably after not hitting for a week, the first round my handicap was 24.5. I immediately did it again and brought that down to 10.4, but the truth is somewhere between those two numbers. Because the Top 12 game is only driver and shots <150 yards I did one of approach challenges that had some 170-200 yard shot in it to finish off the range session. The long approaches did not go well, most were short and offline, but I looped through again and was able to score a little bit better on the second go round.

All in all, a satisfying session. 

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

Rypstick again tonight after dinner. Speed session at the end came back with an average, or something, of 82 mph; I've emailed them to find out exactly how they derive that number. But the first swing came back at 91. So after I concluded the official session I left the radar unit on and took two more swings: 90 and 84. If that thing is accurate and I am actually reaching 90 on 30% of my swings (two out of seven), I'm ecstatic with that. It's also telling me that my carry tonight, if I'd actually been hitting drivers, was 197 with rollout to 212. Not the best session I've had; the session April 16 had 197 carry and 224 total. Considering that I was hitting drives 160 two years ago...

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024