Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

2017 Apple iMac 21.5

perseveringgolfer

Who has, or uses, or knows a lot about the 2017 Apple iMac 21.5" entry level pc?

I've used MS pc's for ever but my young son is keen on graphic design and needs a pc for schoolwork so I thought the iMac would be better long term, plus they just seem to work and I don't want him bogged down with all the horrendous issues you can get with Microsoft pc operating systems (I get them daily).

I'm looking for pro's and cons from my fellow spies. It's already at the budget maximum. 

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I’ve used Mac computers for 12 years. I’ll never buy anything but for one reason.

They work every single time I needed them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I can't speak for a 2017 iMac, but my wife and I have been Mac users for over 20 years.  My wife owns a photo lab business and has 5 macs, including a 27" iMac that is her main imaging computer.  I have always had mac laptops from my company, and when I retired I bought a MacBook in 2015.  Love it.  We have never had any hardware issues; only some 3rd party software issues.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

We’ve had our iMac for around 10 years!!! I have had pc laptops, and pc towers, and they just never ran as well as my iMac. We love it! It helps that we have iPhones, iPads, etc, so they are all in-concert with each other. Expensive, but they last!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Anything with a power button can break. For every one person who has had a great experience with Apple/Mac, there are 10 people at the genius bar every other week getting stuff replaced -- same goes for Windows-based PCs. Apple makes a killing off of huge markups because of their brand name while offering very minimal differences in anything outside of their displays.

If I were in the market, I'd pay up for the retina display because that's, to me, what sets them apart from saving hundreds of dollars on a comparable (spec wise) Windows-based PC. I'm not buying any computer that doesn't have an SSD (Solid State Drive) at this point in time. It makes 0 sense to buy a computer in 2018 that still uses a platter disk for a boot drive. It's like playing golf with persimmon woods that cost as much as last year's drivers.

FWIW, I'm an IT consultant and I have clients who use both. I wouldn't let my friends buy an Apple product with a few exceptions.

• iPhone/iPad -- Whatever, it's personal preference and if you can afford it, do it.
  • Social status -- Want to ball out and show off, go for it
  • Familiarity -- Don't want to take the time to re-learn Windows because you've been using OSX for so long? Go for it.
  • Media -- Final Cut Pro is great software

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Pmookie hit the nail on the head. If you are already a Apple loyalist the iMAC is the next step. I for one just made the plunge. While I’m still learning and have yet to shake my Microsoft muscle and brain memory I have really enjoyed the MAC. Plus! The Apple store has all kinds of free classes to get you started.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Thanks guys, I'm already an iPhone and iPad lover (not in the Biblical sense 😉 ).

Can't stand Android OS as it's not intuitive for me.

Getting familiar with the iMac OS will be the most challenging aspect I think. I'm keen to get him one but just needed affirmation or some things to avoid in the spec, but as the entry level is at budget max then I probably dont have an option. But it's good to hear they just work!

Is it true I'm unlikely to need to buy expensive virus and adaware software for a Mac as Microsoft pc's it's essential.

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Thanks guys, I'm already an iPhone and iPad lover (not in the Biblical sense  ).
Can't stand Android OS as it's not intuitive for me.
Getting familiar with the iMac OS will be the most challenging aspect I think. I'm keen to get him one but just needed affirmation or some things to avoid in the spec, but as the entry level is at budget max then I probably dont have an option. But it's good to hear they just work!
Is it true I'm unlikely to need to buy expensive virus and adaware software for a Mac as Microsoft pc's it's essential.

Like anything else it’s repetition. When you get comfortable with the mouse and layout of the software it becomes automatic. Over the years
They’ve adapted their programs to attract the folks on the fence who have greater familiarity with PC formats.

As you said, you won’t need expensive adaware software or pop up blockers. This was always the greatest selling point for me. Why buy something knowing that I’ll need to pay extra every year just to make sure I can turn it on.

Even better, they retain their value for resale. Each time I upgraded my Mac notebooks after 3/4 years of use I sold them for $200-300 each time. My Dell and Lenovo notebooks weren’t worth using as a cutting board after 3 years.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

44 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Like anything else it’s repetition. When you get comfortable with the mouse and layout of the software it becomes automatic. Over the years
They’ve adapted their programs to attract the folks on the fence who have greater familiarity with PC formats.

As you said, you won’t need expensive adaware software or pop up blockers. This was always the greatest selling point for me. Why buy something knowing that I’ll need to pay extra every year just to make sure I can turn it on.

Even better, they retain their value for resale. Each time I upgraded my Mac notebooks after 3/4 years of use I sold them for $200-300 each time. My Dell and Lenovo notebooks weren’t worth using as a cutting board after 3 years.

Thanks, good to know. Would you still recommend a virus checker software or are Apple pretty robust for prevention?

Thanks, good to know. Would you still recommend a virus checker software or are Apple pretty robust for prevention?

In 12 years I’ve never (knock on wood) needed it.

That’s me. Your use may differ, I’d suggest reading further and asking others. Good luck!

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

In 12 years I’ve never (knock on wood) needed it.

That’s me. Your use may differ, I’d suggest reading further and asking others. Good luck!

Thanks, it will be schoolwork, youtube,  kids games and graphic design via apps so I think I'll also risk it, but I hear what you are saying. Thanks

As much as I hate the prices apple charges, I don’t think we will be going back to the pc unless apple goes out of business. We have had power adapter issues with the laptops (running on dirty Peruvian 220V) and when we took it to the store to figure it out, they just replaced it. It wasn’t under warranty anymore.
I have advised others to go the iMac route. They saved a few hundred bucks then had issues immediately after unboxing and ended up with an iMac in a year anyways.
We have been able to get 7-10 years out of our iMacs and laptops without hardware failures. I would question the 10:1 Genius Bar:happy owner ratio. My experience would have me think that the happy client to dissatisfied customer ratio is much higher for apple than for PCs.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

• 4 weeks later...

So we have the iMac now and set up was easy.

Quick question though, he wants to add some of his fav apps like Netflix, skygo, BBC iPlayer etc but none of them show in the app store.

A quick google shows you cant put them on an iMac, yet you can for APPLE iPhones and Apple iPads!!

help please 🙄

So we have the iMac now and set up was easy.
Quick question though, he wants to add some of his fav apps like Netflix, skygo, BBC iPlayer etc but none of them show in the app store.
A quick google shows you cant put them on an iMac, yet you can for APPLE iPhones and Apple iPads!!
help please 

You are correct. There are no apps for viewing Netflix and such on an iMac.

Set a bookmark and access through Safari or Firefox.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

10 minutes ago, bens197 said:

You are correct. There are no apps for viewing Netflix and such on an iMac.

Set a bookmark and access through Safari or Firefox.

DOH! never thought of accessing via a browser

Archived