Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

The Search is Over

fixyurdivot

28 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

For your top-end gap question (5w, x-over or hybrid), only some testing will tell of course. I'm partial to woods myself and suggest that if you are comfortable with your 3w, that a 5w may be a good and easy transition. You and I seem to have very similar yardages looking at your data so far (nice write-up btw...). So as an example only, my G400 5w is my 185-200 club and I can count on that distance with it nearly every time.

Your prowess with that 5w and 7w did not go unnoticed 😉.  Yeah, my immediate thought is a G400 5w - hate to mix up the bag with some inferior product 🤣.   I've never played a x-over or hybrid so I will need to test hit some of each and see what works best.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

22 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Your prowess with that 5w and 7w did not go unnoticed 😉.  Yeah, my immediate thought is a G400 5w - hate to mix up the bag with some inferior product 🤣.   I've never played a x-over or hybrid so I will need to test hit some of each and see what works best.

Yeah, those clubs save my bacon more often than not

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

First round with the new irons complete.  A 40/45 but that was largely due to a hot putter and solid driver.  Wow, this is going to take a bit more adjustment than I had thought.  Yardages are around one club up from my PE2's... I'd say more like 1.25 up on the longer irons.  This is making things a bit challenging.  After 32 years with one set of irons, I knew their distances really, really well.  What I'm noticing most with the G410's is the larger span in distances produced.  Flushed shots rocket off these irons.  Oh yea, it's fun seeing them fly, but a wee bit nerve wracking if there is danger lurking behind the target 😱.

I'm sure hoping I can get these dialed in sooner than later.  It's really weird staring into the bag and not feeling like I know which arrow to grab.  To those of you who changed irons after having played a set for a long time, how long did it take you to establish yardages?

Range session after playing 18:

Club     Min | Avg | Max Carry

4i          159 | 176 | 196

5i          145 | 167 | 184

6i          144 | 161 | 186

7i          133 | 152 | 167

8i          109 | 131 | 156

9i          113 | 124 | 148

PW         96 | 108 | 123

UW         77 |   93 |  103

SW         49 |   67 |  81

14 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

First round with the new irons complete.  A 40/45 but that was largely due to a hot putter and solid driver.  Wow, this is going to take a bit more adjustment than I had thought.  Yardages are around one club up from my PE2's... I'd say more like 1.25 up on the longer irons.  This is making things a bit challenging.  After 32 years with one set of irons, I knew their distances really, really well.  What I'm noticing most with the G410's is the larger span in distances produced.  Flushed shots rocket off these irons.  Oh yea, it's fun seeing them fly, but a wee bit nerve wracking if there is danger lurking behind the target 😱.

I'm sure hoping I can get these dialed in sooner than later.  It's really weird staring into the bag and not feeling like I know which arrow to grab.  To those of you who changed irons after having played a set for a long time, how long did it take you to establish yardages?

Range session after playing 18:

Club     Min | Avg | Max Carry

4i          159 | 176 | 196

5i          145 | 167 | 184

6i          144 | 161 | 186

7i          133 | 152 | 167

8i          109 | 131 | 156

9i          113 | 124 | 148

PW         96 | 108 | 123

UW         77 |   93 |  103

SW         49 |   67 |  81

Bill, I wouldn't be able to answer your question directly since I have yet to change up my irons, but would only suggest what I'd do based on your experience so far and the data you've presented.

I'd simply take these average numbers and type up a yardage chart small enough to fit in your pocket, but with font large enough to read. Laminate it of course ( I use a couple of layers of regular packing tape). Keep playing and keep practicing with the LM and adjust the chart as needed. After a while, you won't need the chart anymore. Also to start, I would also think about adding a few yards to each average distance just to pad the number a bit to maybe help myself feel more comfortable with those flushed shots flying further than "normal".

It's certainly going to be a process no matter how you go about it...just have fun doing it!

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

2 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

I'd simply take these average numbers and type up a yardage chart small enough to fit in your pocket, but with font large enough to read. Laminate it of course ( I use a couple of layers of regular packing tape).

We are of like mind... I've already created a spreadsheet to capture range session data and, hopefully, establish a reliable cheat sheet. 

56 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

We are of like mind... I've already created a spreadsheet to capture range session data and, hopefully, establish a reliable cheat sheet. 

I kind-a figured you'd be waaaaay ahead of me, so kudos! Keep after them and don't get frustrated. You are a good ball-striker. Trust what you see and go with the gains!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

I feel your pain at seeing the PE2s leave the bag! I've been playing them there short while that I've starting taking golf more seriously, and they're tough to get away from. Seeing somebody else change em out tho might convince me to follow suit 😏

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here