GolfSpy MPR

How much difference does course length make?

2 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

And this is a big reason why courses should stick to labeling the tee boxes with colors only. As soon as the terms “senior” or “ladies” tees get used, some people’s egos take over against what is best for their game (as if it is an insult or something).

I regularly play with guys I drive it 30-50yds past and they insist on playing from the same boxes as I do. They’re giving up 3-4 clubs on some holes, and then get frustrated when I’m hitting 9 iron and they’ve got 6 iron. Just move up! That’s why we have different boxes!

... Amen! Thank goodness many courses are replacing the red "LADIES" tees with green "FORWARD" tees. I got paired up with a guy a few weeks ago that moved up to the green tees and admitted he would never play from red tees. Same course, same tees but ego would not allow him to play from reds yet greens are acceptable 😳. He was a typical high index player and struggled from the forward tees and I cant imagine what he played like from the longer tees.  

• Like 6

... Amen! Thank goodness many courses are replacing the red "LADIES" tees with green "FORWARD" tees. I got paired up with a guy a few weeks ago that moved up to the green tees and admitted he would never play from red tees. Same course, same tees but ego would not allow him to play from reds yet greens are acceptable . He was a typical high index player and struggled from the forward tees and I cant imagine what he played like from the longer tees.  

Maybe I should do a study to see what color most would find acceptable to play from. Then courses can just paint the tee markers whatever appeals to most golfers.

Or maybe call them the names of famous golfers. Like the ‘Hogan tees’ or the ‘Nicklaus’ tees. Give no indications of anything other than length and a fun historical golfer.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

Maybe I should do a study to see what color most would find acceptable to play from. Then courses can just paint the tee markers whatever appeals to most golfers.

Or maybe call them the names of famous golfers. Like the ‘Hogan tees’ or the ‘Nicklaus’ tees. Give no indications of anything other than length and a fun historical golfer.

I don’t think color or name matters. It’s perceptions that need to change and until that happens many will play the wrong tees because of some aspect of ego. Those with realistic views of their game will play appropriate tees.

i was behind a 2 some recently (thankfully I didn’t take the starter up on the offer to join them and got paired with a dad and his two sons that were cool to play with). The 2some played the tips which are a fraction shy of 7000. One guy never saw the fairway on par 4&5. His buddy hit every tee shot on same holes to the right and neither reached a green in regulation. The dad and his one done and myself could have played the tips but the son wanted to play the tees he was going to use in his junior competition the following week. The other soon who didn’t hit it as far always tees up one tee box in front of us. Both kids (12&15) knew their game and where they should play from. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:
I don’t think color or name matters. It’s perceptions that need to change and until that happens many will play the wrong tees because of some aspect of ego. Those with realistic views of their game will play appropriate tees. i was behind a 2 some recently (thankfully I didn’t take the starter up on the offer to join them and got paired with a dad and his two sons that were cool to play with). The 2some played the tips which are a fraction shy of 7000. One guy never saw the fairway on par 4&5. His buddy hit every tee shot on same holes to the right and neither reached a green in regulation. The dad and his one done and myself could have played the tips but the son wanted to play the tees he was going to use in his junior competition the following week. The other soon who didn’t hit it as far always tees up one tee box in front of us. Both kids (12&15) knew their game and where they should play from.  

For sure it’s an ego/realism problem first and foremost, regardless of how you slice it.

I just wonder if a change in the lingo might help in some way (as to chisag’s most recent post in this thread).

Edited by ChasingScratch

19 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

For sure it’s an ego/realism problem first and foremost, regardless of how you slice it.

I just wonder if a change in the lingo might help in some way (as to chisag’s most recent post in this thread).

It’s possible but in my experience guys look at the scorecard look for the front tees aka women’s and then go back 2-3 tee boxes from there depending on how many tee boxes there are. Myself and most of the ones I golf with look at distance and play where we feel comfortable.

19 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

I really think a big mental issue is that most people don't feel like they "are playing golf" unless they are playing from whatever tees they perceive golf should be played from.

My in-laws are prime examples of this. They play at the same course I do, where the yellow (forward, though on some holes they are marked "Ladies," unfortunately) tees play 4,929 yards, white tees 6,075 yards and blue tees 6,216 (where I play from). 

I've played with them both a couple of times this year, and it never seems like they have all that much fun. My mother-in-law drives the ball about 125 yards with a good swing, maybe 150 if it's bone dry and freshly mowed. My father-in-law hits his driver about 150-175 playing a huge slice. On almost every hole they are hitting woods and hybrids two or three times, and the only time they use an iron is around the green. 

My wife has told them numerous times that my father-in-law should play from the forward tees and my mother-in-law should map out a better course distance (like what @GolfSpy MPR does for his son) and tee it up in the fairway. They don't play for handicap or money, so what's the point of being frustrated? But neither will do it, with my 65-year-old father-in-law saying the yellow tees are for older people. Oh well...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

As long as they don't have Corey Pavin tees, I'm sure those wouldn't get used much at all 😋

There is a course here in NOVA that was designed by Fred Couples, the tips are called the Boom Boom tees. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, edingc said:
I really think a big mental issue is that most people don't feel like they "are playing golf" unless they are playing from whatever tees they perceive golf should be played from. My in-laws are prime examples of this. They play at the same course I do, where the yellow (forward, though on some holes they are marked "Ladies," unfortunately) tees play 4,929 yards, white tees 6,075 yards and blue tees 6,216 (where I play from).  I've played with them both a couple of times this year, and it never seems like they have all that much fun. My mother-in-law drives the ball about 125 yards with a good swing, maybe 150 if it's bone dry and freshly mowed. My father-in-law hits his driver about 150-175 playing a huge slice. On almost every hole they are hitting woods and hybrids two or three times, and the only time they use an iron is around the green.  My wife has told them numerous times that my father-in-law should play from the forward tees and my mother-in-law should map out a better course distance (like what [mention=58668]GolfSpy MPR[/mention] does for his son) and tee it up in the fairway. They don't play for handicap or money, so what's the point of being frustrated? But neither will do it, with my 65-year-old father-in-law saying the yellow tees are for older people. Oh well...

To this point, when I went to Branson with my wife for vacation, we played the Mountain Top par 3 course the first day. For her, most holes were around 100-150yds. She had a blast and hit the flag on her second tee shot. 

The next round we played was at Branson Hills. She insisted on playing for the forward tee box on the front nine (even though she was using my old set which is way to heavy for her, shafts not right, etc.).

She started to really struggle so I gently encouraged her to just play from 150-200yds out on the back nine. She had much more fun and decided to not give up on the game after all!

One of my Instagram followers brought up this idea the other day, “Play the most forward tee box until you can shoot par from there, then move back one tee box, then repeat the process.”

I really thought that was a fascinating idea!

Thoughts?

It’s almost like earning your learners permit before you get your drivers license. Or mastering a module 1 before you can progress to module 2.

Or what about this? Have a “front tee box challenge” and see how low you can go! Make it fun. That would be good for me because it would force me to hit more than just Driver and wedge on most par 4’s.

Edited by ChasingScratch
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

Or what about this? Have a “front tee box challenge” and see how low you can go! Make it fun. That would be good for me because it would force me to hit more than just Driver and wedge on most par 4’s.

I think playing from a different set of tees every now and then would be totally fun and worth it. For example, jumping up to the 4,929 yard tees at my course would require a completely different strategy. I'd be hitting way more mid-irons from tees and far fewer drivers. I'd anticipate about the same about of short work since a lot of my game is driver-wedge already. But I would definitely have at least one eagle opportunity if I played everything right. I'll have to give that a go before the season is over.

• Like 1

I think playing from a different set of tees every now and then would be totally fun and worth it. For example, jumping up to the 4,929 yard tees at my course would require a completely different strategy. I'd be hitting way more mid-irons from tees and far fewer drivers. I'd anticipate about the same about of short work since a lot of my game is driver-wedge already. But I would definitely have at least one eagle opportunity if I played everything right. I'll have to give that a go before the season is over.

Yes!! I’d give it a go as well, the challenge would’ve convincing my partners to go for it.

Posted (edited)

Duplicate post for some reason, apologies. 

Edited by ChasingScratch

1 hour ago, ChasingScratch said:

To this point, when I went to Branson with my wife for vacation, we played the Mountain Top par 3 course the first day. For her, most holes were around 100-150yds. She had a blast and hit the flag on her second tee shot. 

The next round we played was at Branson Hills. She insisted on playing for the forward tee box on the front nine (even though she was using my old set which is way to heavy for her, shafts not right, etc.).

She started to really struggle so I gently encouraged her to just play from 150-200yds out on the back nine. She had much more fun and decided to not give up on the game after all!

One of my Instagram followers brought up this idea the other day, “Play the most forward tee box until you can shoot par from there, then move back one tee box, then repeat the process.”

Thoughts?

It’s almost like earning your learners permit before you get your drivers license. Or mastering a module 1 before you can progress to module 2.

The play til you shoot par is a fun challenge and my be something for newer golfers to use but once golfers start hitting the ball with length it becomes course management type play which isn’t a bad thing but most golfers have the mentality of par 4 or par 5 I have to hit driver off the tee. The group of seniors I play with haven’t changed their approach off the tee since they moved up a box. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The play til you shoot par is a fun challenge and my be something for newer golfers to use but once golfers start hitting the ball with length it becomes course management type play which isn’t a bad thing but most golfers have the mentality of par 4 or par 5 I have to hit driver off the tee. The group of seniors I play with haven’t changed their approach off the tee since they moved up a box. 

For fun I left driver in the bag one round.  I hit nothing but 5iron off most tee boxes.  Still had birdie looks on par 5's and par 4 holes.  I was really struggling with driver (bad toe hooks) and figured I could play my 2nd from the fairway or 4 from the fairway using driver.  Fascinating stuff.

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Myself and most of the ones I golf with look at distance and play where we feel comfortable.

This is how I play. I will also factor in course rating, and look more specifically at where yardage is added (if I have time). I've learned from doing this that a lot of courses will add most of the yardage on par 3's, and sometimes that will be the deciding factor.

My current limit for total yardage is about 6800 yards at sea level. That is the absolute max I would feel comfortable playing and even then I know that I have got to have a good day on the course to score within expectations.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Thoughts?

I've had this thought before, but it's unrealistic for me quite frankly. While I don't play tournaments every week (or even every month), the tournaments I do play in typically require me to play from the back tees. If I'm going to play tournaments then I have to be able to hit the shots required by those tournaments. However, I will mix up the tees on occasion just for fun or depending on who my playing partner is and what they are comfortable with. I'll be driving to KC on Monday to play with a friend who I don't expect will be eager to play from the same yardage I typically would. We'll play from wherever he's comfortable so that the round is enjoyable for both of us.

• Like 1

And a golfer can make a “short” course as long as they want. Just play less club off the tee to make it “more realistic.”

One nine-hole course I played had several holes that were right around 300yds. However, there was a creek in front and woods behind one of them, and another one had a moat all around it right at the green and a creek that split the fairway into two parts. No chance to fly the green in one with that much risk. They did a pretty good job of protecting those short holes. It was funny to hit PW off the tee on a par 4 though

56 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

And a golfer can make a “short” course as long as they want. Just play less club off the tee to make it “more realistic.”

One nine-hole course I played had several holes that were right around 300yds. However, there was a creek in front and woods behind one of them, and another one had a moat all around it right at the green and a creek that split the fairway into two parts. No chance to fly the green in one with that much risk. They did a pretty good job of protecting those short holes. It was funny to hit PW off the tee on a par 4 though emoji23.png

How many avg weekend golfers do you see choose to hit something other than driver on par 4 and 5? Even those who watch pga it lpga golf and see the pros hitting less than driver still wont do it because their mentality is I don’t hit it as far as they do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Why are you forced to play from back tees? I play with several seniors who used to play back until they found out a buddy of ours who moved out of state moved up a tee ox, now they do too.

we play money games and their handicap is adjusted for the tees they play just as ours are if we decide to go back to the tips.

golf is supposed to be fun and handicap system is there to account for the differences in skills.

Because it's a group of 25-30 players and the leader of the group assigned an arbitrary age of 70 to move to the blue tees, despite complaints from those of us not quite 70.  As he's in his 50s, we don't really expect him to change until he's older and we're too old to play 🙂   So, if I want to play with this group, I play the gold tees.  I can still play from the gold tees, but it is much tougher for me to hit GIR.  Still, I manage to win a skin or two in the group, as we reward both gross and net skins.  The game is 2 man best ball net (of a team of 4) and handicaps range from scratch to 19.  We have ages from 40s to mid 80s.  It's a fun group, so I put up with having to play the longer tees, but give him complaints about it at every opportunity 🙂

• Like 1

How many avg weekend golfers do you see choose to hit something other than driver on par 4 and 5? Even those who watch pga it lpga golf and see the pros hitting less than driver still wont do it because their mentality is I don’t hit it as far as they do.

Very rare for sure. So many just grab driver on every par 4 or 5 without thinking about the risk/reward. There are holes on some of the courses I play where driver is 100% the wrong play. Even if you hit it perfect you are screwed (think about doglegs if you can’t work the ball on command, you might go through the fairway into the woods and be dead).

I started making Yardage books for the courses I play frequently. It’s amazing what you can learn about how to play a hole if you look from a birds eye view before hand. Some fairways are extremely wide if you play 3 wood instead of driver. Now you have 8 iron into a green from the fairway instead of PW from the trees. For some the fairway is a better play all day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

Because it's a group of 25-30 players and the leader of the group assigned an arbitrary age of 70 to move to the blue tees, despite complaints from those of us not quite 70.  As he's in his 50s, we don't really expect him to change until he's older and we're too old to play 🙂   So, if I want to play with this group, I play the gold tees.  I can still play from the gold tees, but it is much tougher for me to hit GIR.  Still, I manage to win a skin or two in the group, as we reward both gross and net skins.  The game is 2 man best ball net (of a team of 4) and handicaps range from scratch to 19.  We have ages from 40s to mid 80s.  It's a fun group, so I put up with having to play the longer tees, but give him complaints about it at every opportunity 🙂

I feel you. The group of seniors I play with used to be 16-20 regularly when they were all working full time. They were pretty much set on playing certain tees and age didn’t matter. 

They are usually fun to play with too so even though I’m not a member at that course any more I play with them periodically. 

1 hour ago, ChasingScratch said:

Very rare for sure. So many just grab driver on every par 4 or 5 without thinking about the risk/reward. There are holes on some of the courses I play where driver is 100% the wrong play. Even if you hit it perfect you are screwed (think about doglegs if you can’t work the ball on command, you might go through the fairway into the woods and be dead).

I started making Yardage books for the courses I play frequently. It’s amazing what you can learn about how to play a hole if you look from a birds eye view before hand. Some fairways are extremely wide if you play 3 wood instead of driver. Now you have 8 iron into a green from the fairway instead of PW from the trees. For some the fairway is a better play all day.

Learning course management had a big impact on my hdcp going down. Sometimes I throw it out the window and hit driver as much as possible. Confidence has been high with driver lately and not so much with woods and hybrid. Also there are days where I’m like I’m going to figure out this driver if it is the last thing I do

if more people learned to think their way around the course and put ego aside their scores would drop 

• Like 1