Project X vs Project X Flighted

bmb1984

I ordered new Irons recently (Srixon zx7) and ordered what I thought to be the same Project X 6.0 shaft as my previous set of 09 callaway x forged, which turned out to be a Project X 6.0 flighted. 

In my first few rounds i noticed a much lower flight on long irons and higher on short irons as well as a very soft ball flight but exceeding my old clubs distance numbers do to an extra degree or two of loft. 

Up until now I was not aware of the difference between the two. In doing some research I found that the flighted version can play softer and leads me to the only concern I have with the new clubs. 

Although im getting more distance is softer trajectory a sign that the new shaft is too stiff for me or just a feature of a higher end forged club?

I don't know what "softer trajectory" means.   

The shaft profile of the two shafts are different which is why they have different flights.  Flighted shafts are designed to launch the ball higher than the non flighted.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

After recently taking an interest in the same PX Rifle Flighted shafts, what I've found out is that they have a progressive profile through the set. Looks like the longer irons come with a softer tip to help get the ball up in the air more easily and with less effort. The mid irons are close to a standard (for PX) flex and the short irons are a hair stiffer in the tip as to create a lower and more "tour preferred" flight. 

Overall, I believe the flex frequencies are fairly uniform and true to PX flex throughout the set but the top, middle, and bottom end of the set have slightly different feeling profiles based on their intended flight characteristics. That might be a little jumbled but at least it's in the ballpark.

My conundrum is what overall flex will suit my swing? I've been a DG 105 S300 guy for a few years and have never used PX, Rifle, or flighted. I recently bought a "nostalgia" set of Mizuno irons with some discontinued Rifle Flighted 6.0 shafts that are just magical. I've poked around and found that PX Rifle Flighted 5.5 might be a close match so I found a full set at a very cheap price and I'm taking the gamble. 

I can provide feedback if you'd like. 

Although I've been playing well with a 1/2" tipped S300, it looks like the overall profile of the 5.5 might still be a good fit for my swing. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG