Chipping from 50 yrds in

Handy

19 hours ago, Bang60 said:

I tried one 30 years ago and hated it unless I was in a once a day position just off the green and had a perfect lie....

30 Years? I mean a lot can change in that amount of time. It's a similar club but newer tech, we're different golfers than 30 years ago. Heck 30 years ago I did eat tomatoes but I eat them now, point is things change 😛  Just messing with ya

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Everardo said:

30 Years? I mean a lot can change in that amount of time. It's a similar club but newer tech, we're different golfers than 30 years ago. Heck 30 years ago I did eat tomatoes but I eat them now, point is things change 😛  Just messing with ya

Rick Shields did a review of the ping chipr and said almost the same thing I did, if it works for you why not but bet it's too expensive for me lol...

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 8:29 PM, Bang60 said:

Rick Shields did a review of the ping chipr and said almost the same thing I did, if it works for you why not but bet it's too expensive for me lol...

Yeah saw that, good review and like him I kind of agreed, that's a valuable space in the bag to remove a wedge but who knows, I'm always up for testing. 

2 hours ago, Everardo said:

Yeah saw that, good review and like him I kind of agreed, that's a valuable space in the bag to remove a wedge but who knows, I'm always up for testing. 

I only carry 7 clubs, D 7wood 7 9 G L and putter. I walk so I've lightened the bag...

• 2 weeks later...

I just caught this thread and thought to add my technique...fwiw.

I will use any club from 7i to SW for chipping and pitching, depending on lie and how far I need to carry and factor in roll.  PW rolls out about as far as it carries, 9i the ratio is about 1/3 carry, 2/3 roll.  The longer clubs will roll out more with less carry.  It all depends on the lie, what is between the ball and the green, and how far you need to carry, etc...

I use a narrower stance and put my weight on my front foot to keep weight ahead of the ball and use a left hand dominant strike for 50 yards and in, with the thought of hitting the ball with the back of my left hand.  I use a LW for when I get short-sided or when I am pitching onto a steep slope and need carry with little to no roll out, opening the face as needed.

If I don't think left hand strike, my right hand takes over and I end up blading the ball because I didn't hold my wrist hinge...

Weight forward has helped me make ball-first contact; I was terrible with wedges, hitting fat AND thin shots until I tried this.  Now I'm much more consistent and confident with those shots 50 yards and in. 

I'm 68 now, retired, love the game, and still able to break 80 a couple times a year.  

Driver: Ping G5, 10.5 (TFC R)

3w: Ping G5 (TFC R)

3h, 4h, 5h: Maltby M890 ((Maltby Pro Series Hybrid shaft, R)

PinHawk SL irons 6-Aw (Maltby Pro Series R)

54*w, 58*w: Maltby TSW (Maltby Pro Series S...I'm experimenting with the "spinner shaft" hack, lol)

Maltby Pure-Track Tour Milled Putter, 33", plus 2' loft

With my weakness being my approach shots off 7, I consider my short game to be pretty good but can have some bad days.

image.png.a94737d86976d289449015d65ddb1a87.png

Really only use 2 clubs a 56' wedge and a PW.

The majority of shots I play are stiff wristed and try to promoted shoulder turn thru the ball with a quiet bottom half.

From around the green my chipping setup is normally off my back foot which promotes the shoulder turn and consistent take away. I look at the chip and the landing area then choose the club that will hopefully get me close to the pin. to run it in I will use the PW, more lofted route 56'. With the 56' I can work it more with the face, opening it for more loft but I try to still keep it off the back foot again for the consistency of swing.

Moving further out It tends to be a similar philosophy with course condition dictating the club. I like to fly the ball onto the green and would normally pick my landing spot, then just use visualization with my 56'. Maybe open the face for a more lofted shot in. At the moment with the dry conditions and firm greens this is impractical, even pitching on the front  it is near impossible to stop the ball. So I'm dropping it short and looking to run it in, club selection is now down to terrain between me and the green, chip and run in with the PW or 56'. With either I again look at the best landing spot and decide which is more likely to hold the green.

Over the years I have noticed if I start setting up further forward the more inconsistent my strikes become, if my wrists come into play again the more inconsistent my strikes become.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag