Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

We Tried It: Alphard CB Sidekick Review

GolfSpy_APH

Depending on the cart you have it attached to - if there is a constant pull in one direction it may need some adjusting. The BBQuad had some tension bars I needed to adjust to keep it straight.  Make sure the gyroscope is on. 

sorry to hear the frustration. I always had good luck. The were responsive on email and sent videos on how to replace the motherboard and battery.  I was very nervous opening up the case but followed it step by step and it all worked out fine. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

IMG_2416.jpeg.bec9cb5bb6c57f2b196fdab051f119d9.jpeg  IMG_2415.jpeg.df8378ef230b3a13657a0c5fc3115c07.jpeg

No more wheelies. R2D2 worked great at the PClub this weekend. Handled the hills very well. 

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my Sidekick last week after emailing them and complaining a bit that I was told it would be a March delivery and here I was in late May with no Sidekick although I knew some had been shipped. The response was that it was built and being shipped to their warehouse so mine would be expedited (and apparently it was so thanks Alphard CS Team!)

So I charged everything and took it out back in my yard for a very quick setup and trial run just so I would not be totally confused on the course. That went well so I took it to my home track yesterday. It absolutely takes practice and trial/error to find the sweet spot when using it. There are several factors that can and will interfere with the connection between the remote and sidekick. Like WaffleHouse above I also found the right side follow with remote on my right backside was the best and most consistent connection.

After 3-4 holes I also realized that the remote is actually a 2 piece system and is held by magnet to the cradle. I also liked that once it was discovered. So overall impression was good (not great). I probably got it to actually follow me handsfree on 1/2 of the fairways. The others involved some type of disconnect or other interference that required using the remote buttons. It also tried to run over me twice when I forgot to disengage the FL button.  

Bottom line I would purchase it again anyway in spite of this first impression. I know with each round I will become a better operator and work out many of my initial quirks. The overall experience was good and I think this is the 1st step too way better follow systems and maybe even "AI" carts that will do much more than just follow you around out there. 

Bonus FYI...I purchased the Alphard cart designed for the V2 E Wheel system and I do not experience wheelies. As a matter of fact I never use the (2) wheely bars shipped with the unit as I never see it tip and they are noisy when in use. 

*See below....Opinions change with circumstances

Edited by GolFlikeaNUT

TM Stealth HD, G425 Irons and a pleather of TM FWs...Putter? Lab Golf MEZZ.1 MAX 

• 2 weeks later...

First thing to understand is that the sidekick and remote operate on line of sight (if they can't directly see each other, they lose the connection).  Since the Alphard cart handle only has 1 position and it is fairly low, I can't mount the sidekick to the cart handle as the bag and clubs block the signal.  If you want to attach to the cart handle, it has to raise the sidekick above the clubheads so it can "see" the remote.  I have the sidekick mounted to my bag (have to be careful pulling my putter out).  As others have posted, don't bother using the B (for behind) follow mode.  Use either the L or R option.  It follows within 2 - 3 feet to the side and slightly behind so walking on 1 side of the cart path or bridge allows me to keep it in follow mode almost the entire round.  It is very predictable when following to the side.  Maybe once a round, I have to turn the sidekick off and back on as it loses orientation after teeing off (I keep the remote in the cup holder when hitting as the remote will fall off the magnetic clip on a full swing when attached to my back pocket).  Make sure to orient the arrow to the front before turning the unit back on.  You can tell when it needs to be rebooted as the white stripe on the sidekick doesn't point to the remote as I move it from the cup holder to the clip. Once you get use to the routine of hitting the follow button every time you are going to hit and again to get it to follow, it's been great.  I often play with people that are riding so when you are letting them pass you in a confined space, turn follow off or as you move to the side, the cart will have an issue with whatever is confining you to a narrow strip of land.

Overall, it's working well for me and I'm glad I got it.  BTW, the sidekick and remote will not charge using a high power charger.

• 1 month later...

I'm about ready to send R2D2 off to the jawas.... Oh sure, he may shoot your lightsaber to you when you fighting over the pit of the Sarlacc; but he really just more likely to run off in the middle of the night on some damn fool mission...  Seriously, my Sidekick has really been troublesome lately.   Not following, or suddenly running off in another direction.  In fact, yesterday its spun off twice heading right while in follow mode - crashed into a parked cart so hard that it broke off the right front wheel on my BagBoy Quad.   Ugh.  Luckily, I could still finish my round with three working wheel (and played today as well)  but now I need to replace the BBQuad.  Thinking hard about just getting the OmniCart that Alphard sells.  Avoid having to get brackets and retrofitting another cart. 

On 6/2/2023 at 8:06 PM, SDHacker said:

Since the Alphard cart handle only has 1 position and it is fairly low, I can't mount the sidekick to the cart handle as the bag and clubs block the signal. 

SDHacker - do you have the OmniCart?  Are you saying you can't get the Sidekick to work with their own OmniCart?  Thanks. 

2 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I'm about ready to send R2D2 off to the jawas.... Oh sure, he may shoot your lightsaber to you when you fighting over the pit of the Sarlacc; but he really just more likely to run off in the middle of the night on some damn fool mission...  Seriously, my Sidekick has really been troublesome lately.   Not following, or suddenly running off in another direction.  In fact, yesterday its spun off twice heading right while in follow mode - crashed into a parked cart so hard that it broke off the right front wheel on my BagBoy Quad.   Ugh.  Luckily, I could still finish my round with three working wheel (and played today as well)  but now I need to replace the BBQuad.  Thinking hard about just getting the OmniCart that Alphard sells.  Avoid having to get brackets and retrofitting another cart. 

SDHacker - do you have the OmniCart?  Are you saying you can't get the Sidekick to work with their own OmniCart?  Thanks. 

Welp...My Sidekick dies suddenly after about 4 rounds...Just D E A D and not responding

So I email Alphard and get Tony who responds they think the gears are getting chewed up but send it back and he will send me another. I get to thinking....another will also just fail quickly so I ask for a refund and Tony agrees. He even sends me a return label and everything. 

BUT

Even though I returned it immediately and confirmed they got it through tracking here I am a Month later with no refund. To make it even worse...Tony is MIA...Alphard support is MIA....My money is MIA....

Im soured on them...was a big fan

Alphard? Not a good look

Edited by GolFlikeaNUT

TM Stealth HD, G425 Irons and a pleather of TM FWs...Putter? Lab Golf MEZZ.1 MAX 

On 7/27/2023 at 7:07 PM, GolFlikeaNUT said:

Im soured on them...was a big fan

Sorry to hear that.  Despite my gripes above, I’ve always found their customer support to be very responsive.  In fact, I had a thread going w their support team on Thursday - they recommended the bag holder for the sidekick however it’s on back order. So while I’m not happy w that, I have had good luck w communications w them. 

On 7/29/2023 at 8:04 AM, WaffleHouseTour said:

Sorry to hear that.  Despite my gripes above, I’ve always found their customer support to be very responsive.  In fact, I had a thread going w their support team on Thursday - they recommended the bag holder for the sidekick however it’s on back order. So while I’m not happy w that, I have had good luck w communications w them. 

Guess their attitude changes when they owe you money...At least that's been my experience

Edited by GolFlikeaNUT

• 3 weeks later...

I've put the Omni Cart sold by Alphard into play.  It works - but I gotta say it could be better.  The nice thing is that the wheelie bar brackets are built in.  No install needed.  Here are my four gripes:

1) Just the sheer size of it.  I take the front wheel off each time after use and put that in my "grass clippings catcher" duffle bag the eWheels stays in to catch the grass.  But the frame of the OmniCart is still so big - too big to fit in my BagBoy Quad's bag - which is surprising.  You can see there is a lot of unused empty space - it is not very compact.  Consequently I struggle to find the right way to orient it to fit in my trunk. 

IMG_4067.JPG.5fd2a942d46439d5d811d30f2eaced7b.JPG

2) The cup holder... small thing - but the frame and the "stuff" holder by the handle are all stuck in place.  There is no selecting the angle or tilt - it is fixed.  But I think the cup/bottle holder is kinda small, and considering the fixed nature it isn't built to hold the bottle upright.  Better have a closed lid. For what it's worth - the regular SideKick bracket holder works just find on the handle.  They got me the bag mount - but I had trouble attaching to my bag - I have an unusual bag so I don't hold that against them.  Luckily the handle mount put the SideKick high enough. 

IMG_4125.JPG.faa49243335762dbc8ecd4efc08fe41e.JPG

3) You'd think you could fit score cards in the scorecard holder...  I miss the little pouch that hung under my BagBoy's "console" - throw in a sleeve of balls, shove a wind jacket or something in... I can get used to that, but I just think they didn't design this well.  I like to keep scorecards, reuse them, etc.. doesn't fit...

IMG_4066.JPG.8e04050058cef77f61e05f679366265a.JPG

4) I can't figure out where to attache the sand/seed bottle I got from them to fit on this cart.  You attach a bracket around a tube, and the sand bottle slides on and off it - but I can't figure out where it should go.  If anyone has had luck with that, I'd love to see where you stashed it. 

IMG_4067.JPG

Omni Cart

Ive had it for almost a year and I can attest that its a monster. The positive side is that it has never turned over on its side but I have had it flip backwards on me more than once. It is a royal pain to break down though and MGI carts really beat them in this category.

*BTW I finally got my refund for the Sidekick by contacting them through the Alphard site....It still baffles me as to why Tony quit responding to my issue and left me hanging. Not a good look for Alphard or Tony but all is well. I think many Sidekick owners are going to be out $300....they have a major internal issue that will break sooner than later

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2022 at 6:39 PM, Joe_T said:

I have the alphard v2 with the tether follow system ($150) on a rovic.  I had a bat caddy remote and have to say I love the tether.  Hate to say it but ran the bat caddy into things more than I'd like to admit.  Unfortunately with the tether about 5 times a round the tether disconnects, and I have to walk the 5 feet back to my bag to reconnect the magnetic tether (I also have to avoid walking on big sidehills as the v2 can't always stay the straight line on the sidehill).  Other than the disconnecting I actually like the tether because I know the bag is still following me.  I don't like when it disconnects though and wondering how I'll know if the CB sidekick loses me.  Similarly, if I turn the follow off to help a friend look for their ball in the woods when I restart it 20 feet away does it come to me and start the follow or do I need to be close to start the follow.

Updating after using the sidekick for a good part of the season.  The sidekick isn't perfect but I prefer it to the tether.  If money is an issue definitely get the tether system because it gets you almost there. 

The things I like:

Remote is magnetically attached to the clip. 

Once it's following it's pretty rare it stops following (tether would sometimes seperate with bumps or if I walked to fast)

Things I don't like:

When going back to follow mode after being stopped for long periods (greens and tees) it sometimes takes awhile to find where the remote is and doesn't follow.

It makes noise constantly as it kind of twitches around.  It doesn't bother me but worry it bothers people I'm playing with.

I have to remember to charge after each round (not sure how long the battery lasts).

- Joe

11 hours ago, Joe_T said:

The things I like:

Remote is magnetically attached to the clip. 

100%. Big improvement 

11 hours ago, Joe_T said:

Things I don't like:

When going back to follow mode after being stopped for long periods (greens and tees) it sometimes takes awhile to find where the remote is and doesn't follow.

110%!!!  Hate when that happens. I’ve walked off the green or tee too often to find out it isn’t following and now it doesn’t “see” me. Room for improvement there. 
The charging has just become a post round routine. Set up a little charging station in the garage for the eWheels, remote, sidekick and arccos link.