I don't care .... and neither should you

3 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

This is something that I struggle with and a reason I try to avoid getting paired up with people I don't know. Not because I think they will care if I am worse or judge me or whatnot, but that I don't want to hinder their round or negatively impact their enjoyment of the course. I don't know that I would say I get embarrassed because I know where my game is currently and it's just not consistent, but I don't want to hold someone up or make them play slower than they are used to because I'm not as skilled. I would venture to guess that most folks truly do not care at all, but it's my own self perception that causes me to feel that way. 

I have had experiences in the past when I was just starting out and was truly awful, that I was with an older guy who had played forever. He asked me if I minded if he joined me and I said no and told him I was not good, and after like 3-4 holes he just went ahead and played on. Wasn't rude about it but also didn't say anything about it, just kind of finished up that hole before I was to the green and kept going. I can't say that I enjoyed that because it gave the feeling of "wow, I must really be bad" lol. 

I think coming out upfront at the beginning of the round and saying "my game is not where I want it to be and if it is effecting your round dont be shy on going ahead and playing through. Either way is fine", not saying "bad" because the term is relative IMO. We all have our bad rounds but golf is a b*tch of a sport so no one should feel that being on the course is hindering other folks.

Walking ahead and not saying anything is kind of a d*ck move IMO. Screw that guy.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

3 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

This reminds me of a round. True story! @sirchunksalot and I decided to meet up at a golf course halfway between our homes. I'm not going to get into all the details of the day, but at the end of the round he came out and said what a great time he had. Then followed it up by stating how nervous he was to play golf with me before we started. I'm guessing he went through all the same thoughts you have. He can chime in on this if he wants to. 

Golf is supposed to be fun. You can be supportive by acknowledging their good shots. You can keep quiet. You can even rip on your buddies if that's how the group is. The truth is everyone was there at one point in time when they were learning and finally getting out on the big course. All I'm looking for when I play with others is to enjoy the day and their company.  The score doesn't matter. Don't turn something you enjoy into something you don't just because others are around. 

Jason and I played another round together last season as well. So, I guess he did enjoy our round together.  

And I know these experiences are out there too and probably far more likely to happen than a negative one. I would love to get to play a round with a good handful of members here on the forum. I need to step out of my comfort zone and join groups if I am ever playing solo at my club this year. I would venture to guess I would be pleasantly surprised, given the reaction and interaction my 6 year old gets from a lot of older members at the club when they see us on the course.

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

1 minute ago, Jnoble89 said:

And I know these experiences are out there too and probably far more likely to happen than a negative one. I would love to get to play a round with a good handful of members here on the forum. I need to step out of my comfort zone and join groups if I am ever playing solo at my club this year. I would venture to guess I would be pleasantly surprised, given the reaction and interaction my 6 year old gets from a lot of older members at the club when they see us on the course.

the good thing about this is you'll know right away who you will want to play with or not. keep on keepin on and enjoy yourself out there. 👊

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I sure remember the feeling when I was relatively new to the game. And then recently, when I struggled for an extended period of time. Although I don't let myself get caught up in the insecurities anymore, I understand how people might.

When I've had apparently new to the game or less skilled players say similar to me, "I'm really struggling today," or the like. I'll maybe say something like, "I was once very self-conscious around others when struggling. If you're anything like that with others, please don't be with me. I understand, I get it, and I judge no one. I like to meet people, not their golf games."

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

This reminds me of a round. True story! @sirchunksalot and I decided to meet up at a golf course halfway between our homes. I'm not going to get into all the details of the day, but at the end of the round he came out and said what a great time he had. Then followed it up by stating how nervous he was to play golf with me before we started. I'm guessing he went through all the same thoughts you have. He can chime in on this if he wants to. 

Golf is supposed to be fun. You can be supportive by acknowledging their good shots. You can keep quiet. You can even rip on your buddies if that's how the group is. The truth is everyone was there at one point in time when they were learning and finally getting out on the big course. All I'm looking for when I play with others is to enjoy the day and their company.  The score doesn't matter. Don't turn something you enjoy into something you don't just because others are around. 

Jason and I played another round together last season as well. So, I guess he did enjoy our round together.  

Well stated Tom! Golf is supposed to be fun! 
 @Jnoble89 absolutely not cool by the man to simply take off and not say word.  That was bush league! As Tom stated we all were at one point in time learning. Don't let that one jerk jade you! I do believe the majority of people would not do simply walk away without saying anything!  

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

Sometimes I also struggle when playing with people that I do not know because I get in my own head. I’ve been playing 9 holes on Wednesdays after work with a buddy of mine from back in high school. The first couple times were a bit nerve racking because he seems to be much more relaxed and played better than me.  I got passed this feeling and now we have a ton of fun. I actually think that playing with him has helped to calm my nerves a bit when I get around other players that I do not know.

There are times when I think that playing with better players helps me to play a little better. Getting the occasional compliment definitely helps to feel better about my game and seems to bring out a few more good shots than normal. It also has helped me realize that others really do not care about my game. For the most part, I’m the only one who really cares how I play. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black Official Tester Review

:BagBoy: Nitron push cart Unofficial review  

Over the years, I’ve met some interesting people, playing as a single. Some good, some not so good. That goes for their personalities as much as their golf games. I’ve also grown into wanting to play with golfers that are better than me. It took me a little while to figure out, but a round played with a better golfer is an opportunity to observe how they approach the game and make mental notes about aspects of their games that I may want to adapt into my own. Plus, my competitive nature drives me to play a little better. I’ll focus on the little things better than when I’m out for a round with my usual buddies. 

As to playing with other spies, I joined the forum a bit too late to make this years outing, but I hope to attend in 2024!

WITB:

D: :titleist-small: GT-2 10° w/ GD Tour AD-UB 6s

3W: :titleist-small: GT-3 15 Tensei Black 75 X

5W: :ping-small: G430 18° Tour 2.0/Stiff

4i-PW:  :PXG: 0317t Project X LZ 6.0

50°,54° & 58°: :vokey-small: SM-10

P:cameron-small: Super Select Newport 2+

Ball:  :titleist-small: ProV1x

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

8 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

We're all out here to have fun and enjoy ourselves, not to be judged. 
I'm having fun. I'm being myself. I'm doing what I love. That's all that matters.

I'm social when with others but honestly - I'm usually so wrapped up in my own game that on most holes I literally could not tell you what the other players' scores were or even where their shots went most of the time... 

Maybe that sounds selfish..? I'm just focused on trying to improve.

The exception, of course, is when I'm out there with my wife and we try to track each other's shots to help locate those wayward ones.

Doesn't really bother me if others we get paired with are better or not than me .. as long as they play at a reasonable pace and observe decent golf etiquette.

WITB of an "aspiring"   play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A*)
3W...Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (ProForce V2 HL 5F3)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour/Tour S. Or a found Pro V1/x.

* (current) Forum tester for the Newton Motion driver shaft (2024)
Forum tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

20231223_133657.jpg.960669f48157ee1fbafde043ef7f132a.jpg

For Sale in Classifieds: SkyTrak home launch monitor in excellent condition

Timely topic. I filled in for a league last night and my partner (~12-14 handicap) and myself were paired with another twosome consisting of a 34 and 46 handicap (league handicaps adjust to 18 holes - non-official). We had a blast playing with them as neither took the game too seriously at all. As the one said, they play for the one or two shots per round where they do something special, and both of them hit a handful of great shots throughout the nine.

As I've gotten older (wiser, perhaps?) it's been easier to avoid getting so wrapped up into a score. I obviously like to play well, but realistically golf is a brutal sport with so many highs and lows. That being said, it's also one sport where the playing field in a casual round is vast. Everyone is at a different level so I don't take offense to the low handicapper who is frustrated with his game because I get it (and I've been that person before). I just hope they are not obnoxious about it.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 3.6 / Anti-Cap: 9.9 (Last Updated Sept. 1, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

16 minutes ago, edingc said:

As I've gotten older (wiser, perhaps?) it's been easier to avoid getting so wrapped up into a score. 

This is a great point and something that Jon Sherman discusses a lot. You should never show up to a golf course expecting to shoot a certain score; you hope to play well and take what comes but as soon as you decide on that particular score before you even swing a club you could be dooming yourself.

Woods-

Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Interesting topic. Other than a tournament, I can't remember being nervous about playing with people I don't know. I think the 3 bullet points about having fun need to be followed by me more. I used to despise playing with people as a kid. I was the lone one from sun up until sun down playing as a solo at our dog track public course. I actually enjoyed when some guys I'd see on occasion would ask me to join them. if it's a league setting I get more upset when not doing well as I think, however, I may try to get paired up at some local courses and just play, with no worries how i do.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

This is good advice not just for golf, but life in general.

I skew introverted/shy and caring what people think about me, so I often have to remind myself that literally nobody besides my family and very close friends probably even thinks about me at all, and thats a good thing! 

I don't remember some random guy topping his driver while i was waiting at tee box. I'm sure it's happened plenty, but after it's out my sight, it's pretty much gone from my brain. And that goes for anyone watching me tee off. Literally nobody cares, but we create this whole ordeal in our head. We humans are dumb 

Lefty Gang

Cally Mavrik 10.5 - Rogue White 60 TX

Cobra Radspeed 5w at 16* - Motore F1 7x

Srixon ZU85 3i - Tensei Blue 80tx

Srixon Z785 4-PW - DG X100

Cally Jaws MD5 Raw 52*

MD3 56* & 60

Scotty Phantom X5.5

• 1 month later...

This topic comes up quite frequently with my wife who is starting to play more golf finally since our daughter will be in college soon. She used to just play once or twice a year at work events and now is playing several times per month with me at our club. She is always worried about people thinking she's a bad golfer, should she be out at our club on the weekends, etc. I tell her the same thing every time - we've all been there, starting out or our game isn't where we'd like it to be but NOBODY can get mad at you if you keep your pace of play up with the group and are an enjoyable partner.

Just don't be the jerk yelling constantly in frustration, taking 400 practice swings to hit it 3 yards, waiting for the group in front to clear on your 2nd shot that is further than you've ever hit your drive, don't play ready golf, etc.

Short of my regular group, I play with a lot of random members at our club, most of which are a higher handicap than me. I can count on one hand the number of times I legitimately did not enjoy myself playing with someone new no matter how they played and it's for the reasons mentioned above...

image.png.3ae44848eaa91e16529cc2da1115da30.png                        Driver:  Ping G425LST Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X shaft
image.png.095cd3d760c79d0eb767623ffdf42310.png                           Fairway Wood:  Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 (yep, OG 1999 all original)
image.png.573c1776da590d9bf6c6c64be1737d23.png                        Irons:  Ping i525 irons - Ping AWT 2.0 Xstiff
image.png.5ba727eab99bc410c525de418412911b.png        Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 52/56/60 SM9 (12deg/D grind)
image.png.5d5b33118fcaf8994d51632d9c6b8c8b.png                       Putter:  Ping Tyne 4 putter
image.png.bd6d95a9eb5ec85777f017c339995ccb.png                         Bag:  Titleist Hybrid 5
image.png.e9ac768bf1e829ed0c20f60071eef305.png                         Ball: Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash

my brother in law - who's a banker and a runner and not a golfer - pulled me aside this weekend and I could see the anxiety on his face.

he's been asked to play in a charity best ball tournament and is *extremely* nervous. He's worried about slowing everyone down, esp the people behind him.

I looked him in the eyes and told him that nobody cares what you shoot. Nobody will care if you shoot 150 or 70. Just be ready to go when it's your turn and do your best. They know you're not a golfer and they're not expecting a miracle. Golf. Is. Hard.

He's still petrified. Asked me to meet him at the range for a couple tips, tells me that he wants to drive it well. I told him that's the hardest club to hit and focus on the short shots and putting.

1. it's a best ball tournament so he can hit it OB every time and it won't matter.

2. the tournament is over a month away and he's already panicking...

Woods-

Ball- Maxfli Tour X

In all my years of playing. I’ve had only one person decide to leave our foursome during a round. Due to our abilities not matching his. He came up with some excuse that he had an emergency call. And we watched him jump ahead after he left us to the back 9 and join another group. He was really striking the ball well for the time he did join us as a random. Personally I would never leave a group mid round if people weren’t playing up to their level. But I guess whatever makes one happy 

23 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

my brother in law - who's a banker .... he's been asked to play in a charity best ball tournament

*Charity* tourney - all he needs to bring is a fun attitude and a whole lotta money!!!

Seriously .. tell him yeah it's nominally about the golf but it's really about getting people to come out .. and hopefully have fun (there's usually plenty of adult refreshments available at those things) .. and hopefully spend dollars in support of the cause (raffle tickets, 50-50s, silent and/or live auctions, etc etc)

WITB of an "aspiring"   play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A*)
3W...Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (ProForce V2 HL 5F3)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour/Tour S. Or a found Pro V1/x.

* (current) Forum tester for the Newton Motion driver shaft (2024)
Forum tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

20231223_133657.jpg.960669f48157ee1fbafde043ef7f132a.jpg

For Sale in Classifieds: SkyTrak home launch monitor in excellent condition