Testers Wanted: Precision Pro Titan Elite Rangefinder ×

How old were your kids when you started taking them to the course?

Evening everyone,

I have a 3 year old at home who’s shown some interest in golf on tv and hitting some balls around the yard with me. I’d love to get her out on the course with me just to expose her to the environment even if it is only for a couple holes at a time during twilight where she can help rake bunkers and hit some putts etc. 

how old were your little ones when they started going to the course with you and even if they weren’t playing? 

D=Stealth 2 - Accra TZ RPG Tour M4+ 462 (D7)
FW = Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Triple Diamond - Tensei AV White 75 Tour X(D5)
Ping iCrossover 3 iron - Hzrdus Red RDX 6.5(D5)
4-5 =Titleist T100 - Modus 120X - 2 Deg. Flat (D6)
6-P =Titleist 620CB - Modus 120x - 2 Deg. Flat, 1 Deg. Strong (D6)
50/54 =Callaway Jaws Raw - Modus 120X 2 Deg. Flat (D6, D7)
58= Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe - Modus 120x - 2 Deg. Flat (D7)
Putter - Taylormade Spider Ghost (2024) 
Ball - Titleist ProV1X Left Dash
Bag - Vessel Players 3 Carbon Navy

I want to say my son was 6/7 or so. He didn’t have the attention span prior to that. I believe he was 8 when he started junior group lessons and 11 when he started PGA Jr. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D7 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

Hello @jbsap,

Hope so you're having fun these days, it's great that your 3-year-old is showing an interest in golf and enjoying hitting balls with you at home. To nurture her interest, you can continue engaging her in golf-related activities in a casual and fun manner. As she grows older and her skills and attention span develop, you can gradually introduce her to the golf course environment, starting with shorter visits or playing a couple of holes during twilight hours.

Cheers,

Bryce June 

Edited by Bryce June

I think my son was 6 when I first took him to the course.  He would hit a couple of shots but then go straight for the snacks I brought along for him.  Every kid is different, but small doses at the start so they don't get bored is probably the way to go.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :L.A.B.: DF3, Press Pistol 2°

I took my oldest when he was about 3, it was a short par 3 course (The Loma Club, Sam Diego). He spent a lot of time wandering over to the sand traps and not much time golfing. Key is stay patient, they're kids and have no idea of the rules or etiquette. We went when the course was wide open and I let him hit when he wanted and play in the sand when he didn't. 

Ian Lydon

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9.5

3W: Cobra LTDx

3H: Callaway XR 16 Pro

Irons: Titleist T100 (2023) PW-6, Titleist T200 (2023) 5-4

Wedges: Sub 70 (52 and 58 Tester)

Putter: Ping Anser G2

Also a recommendation, take her over to the club later in the day, may only be time for like 3-4 holes and ask to take her out to play. The few times I've done this they just tell me to take a cart and go for free. Worth a try, locks in the short window so it's not too much on her and possibly saves you a few bucks for a round of golf that may not have a lot of golf in it.

Ian Lydon

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9.5

3W: Cobra LTDx

3H: Callaway XR 16 Pro

Irons: Titleist T100 (2023) PW-6, Titleist T200 (2023) 5-4

Wedges: Sub 70 (52 and 58 Tester)

Putter: Ping Anser G2

• 6 months later...

I have taken my 2.5 year old daughter out on the course. During the week it's slow and the wife joins. She will make it 9 holes.  Loves riding on the cart and I have her plastic clubs she will play with.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

My son was 7 but I had taken him to the range at 5-year-old. My Grandson was 5 when my son and I took him out this year. He did pretty good. Two things though my son had taken him to the range, and he has played ice hockey since he was three. 

Coming back to golf

My 5 year old plays.  We primarily go to par 3 courses but he has been out to a shorter 9 hole course with me.  He has his moments and occasionally he needs to skip a hole, but for the most part he does pretty well and I keep him moving along.

IMG_2813.jpeg

Edited by Medic170979

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* 
Tour Edge E722 3wd 15* 
Titleist u505 3
Tour Edge C722 Hybrid 21* 
Mizuno JPX 921 HM 5-7, HMP 8-GW (PX LZ 6.0)
New Level Triweight 54* & 60* (KBS Hi Rev)
Scotty Futura X 35" (Gravity Grip)

We've been taking my son out since he was about 1 just for some outside time and riding in the cart with my wife and me. He's had clubs most of his life of varying materials and insists to take turns hitting into our net in the backyard. He's 4 now and can last 18 holes with me and my foursome. I think it's important to have him interact with your friends and on the slow holes where you are waiting for the group in front of you to let him hit some shots or run in the bunker. Snacks are key, as is a tablet for when they finally tire out and want to lounge in the cart. Kids find it fun to do the same things are grown-ups. He also loves filling in all the fairway divots with sand and running around with my TM Spider putter bc it looks like a rocket ship. Keep it fun and fast, even kids hate slow play. 

Never did.  I did not take up this crazy game until 1984, when I moved to S Carolina.  My daughter was 14 at that time and lived with her mother in Houston, TX and we only got together a couple times a year.  We made the most of our visits and golf was not something she was interested in.  She loved the beach.  My current wife and I made sure she had pleasant visits and did things that interested her.  She only got to visit for a short period time in the summer and at Christmas, after she had Christmas with her mom.  There is a golf course where she lives and they collect golf balls from her yard.        

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S, 58.08M 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I started taking my daughter when she was 4.  Mostly to low key, casual courses.  She would often get in the way, but she sure loved hitting 5 balls off the tee box and watching them roll.  She would pick up and wait to hit again until we got close to the green.  

I was surprised how fast she picked up on the rules and etiquette of golf.  I'd suggest going to a casual par 3 course when they are 3 or 4 years old and see how they do.  Lazrus has some great golf sets for 4 year olds for around 100 bucks. 

Some of my favorite rounds have been with my daughter.  So I'd definitely recommend getting your kids on the course as soon as possible.  Best of luck!

• CALLAWAY Epic Max LS 9°
  • CALLAWAY Epic Max 5W
  • Cleveland Mashie 18°
  • PXG 0311 5-GW
  • LAZRUS V-Milled 52°, 56°, 60°
  • Odyssey White Hot OG 2-Ball
  • K-Sig V3

This past spring I took my daughters, aged 10 & 8 at the time, out for a walking round of 9 holes at the local muni. They had a blast and we plan to do it more often in 2024. 
IMG_0496.jpeg

IMG_0497.jpeg

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 Kai Li White 70x

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :cameron-small: Special Select Del Mar

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Well, I don't have kids! 😆

However, I was 13 when I first visited a Golf Course in Houston with my aunt. But my experience with the golf is way too bad at starting as this one has so much technicalities and so much to learn.

My aunt has taught me about the game and she joined me Creek Golf Club. Since my dad is in Navy so I spend a lot of time with my aunt.

I'm Anna Smith, and I am thrilled to welcome you to my golfing journey. For me, the world of golf isn't just a game; it's a passion, a challenge, and a source of boundless joy.

A Swing Through Time: From the first moment I gripped a club, I knew that golf was destined to become an integral part of my life. As the years have passed, I've honed my skills on the course, learning the art of precision, patience, and perseverance. Every swing is a new opportunity, every fairway a blank canvas for me to paint my story.

⛳ Exploring the Greens: Whether it's the lush greens of local courses or the excitement of new terrains, I find myself continuously drawn to the serenity and challenges that golf offers. The camaraderie shared with fellow golfers and the mental battles waged against the elements and me – these are the experiences that shape my journey.

🌟 A Golfer's Philosophy: To me, golf isn't just about numbers on a scorecard; it's about the journey, the friendships forged, and the lessons learned both on and off the course. The way I approach the game reflects my values: dedication, sportsmanship, and a constant pursuit of improvement.

Join Me on the Fairway: As I navigate the twists and turns of this beautiful game, I invite you to join me. Let's discuss strategies and favorite courses and share the anecdotes that make golf a truly unique experience. Whether you're a seasoned player or just stepping onto the greens for the first time, there's always something new to learn and enjoy.

Fairways and friendships,

Anna Smith

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2023 at 3:58 AM, jbsap said:

Evening everyone,

I have a 3 year old at home who’s shown some interest in golf on tv and hitting some balls around the yard with me. I’d love to get her out on the course with me just to expose her to the environment even if it is only for a couple holes at a time during twilight where she can help rake bunkers and hit some putts etc. 

how old were your little ones when they started going to the course with you and even if they weren’t playing? 

my son started golf when he was 10 years old.