Match 3 wood to driver or play the field?

hbetts

Do you match your woods and/or hybrids to your driver or try out multiple and go for what works?

I have a Ping G410 driver, no 3 wood, and a TM R15 Rescue. I would like to add a 3 Wood between those and was wondering if I would be pretty safe to get a Ping G410 with the same shaft as my driver or if I should put more work into it than that. I would rather not get a fitting as my local fitter left a lot to be desired last time I went there. 

WITB:

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.8* Turned to 9.5* with Alta CB Red Stiff Flex

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade R15 Rescue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: Lazarus 52, 56, and 60

Putter: Putter Designed and Built by me!

7 minutes ago, hbetts said:

Do you match your woods and/or hybrids to your driver or try out multiple and go for what works?

I have a Ping G410 driver, no 3 wood, and a TM R15 Rescue. I would like to add a 3 Wood between those and was wondering if I would be pretty safe to get a Ping G410 with the same shaft as my driver or if I should put more work into it than that. I would rather not get a fitting as my local fitter left a lot to be desired last time I went there. 

I try clubs myself and get what works; typically used clubs.   There is no guarantee that the matching the 3 wood and shaft to the driver will work, but it probably would be terrible.   For me the bigger question would be does it fit the gapping I want and need.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

There's no harm in trying the 3w that's the same line as your driver, however I think checking other brands might lead to some happy surprises. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

You want a great fitting by the folks at sub 70 they have  two training facilities partnered with them! Not sure how willing you are to drive for a fit but there is one in bowling green KY and one in Atlanta! They are well worth it! Or pay for demo clubs and send them back! 

Georgia 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/4t9QLtHbvW8k9xYu6?g_st=ic

Kentucky

https://maps.app.goo.gl/6wKR1gdvySXgFmGS9?g_st=ic

And here is the site!

https://www.golfsub70.com/sub-70-fitting-cart-locations/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#GoBallsOutAlways #GoRickieGo

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip
Driving Irons:     :Sub70:699 Pro 2-:truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips

Irons:     Custom:Sub70: 639 CB 5-Pw :truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips   
Wedges:   WedgeFx 52,56,60-:truetemper: DG S400Shafts-NO1 50 Series Grips 
Putter:      :Sub70: Sycamore 007-NO1 P90 Pistol Grip
Ball:           :odin:X1

Bag:     Side Street- Back9 Backpack Bag

Link to my Bag Boy ZTF Review!

12 minutes ago, OdinSnipes414 said:

You want a great fitting by the folks at sub 70 they have  two training facilities partnered with them! Not sure how willing you are to drive for a fit but there is one in bowling green KY and one in Atlanta! They are well worth it! Or pay for demo clubs and send them back! 

Georgia 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/4t9QLtHbvW8k9xYu6?g_st=ic

Kentucky

https://maps.app.goo.gl/6wKR1gdvySXgFmGS9?g_st=ic

And here is the site!

https://www.golfsub70.com/sub-70-fitting-cart-locations/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the Atlanta fitter is Elite Fit Golf or MobileClubMaker on youtube. I thought really hard about making the drive to see him for my driver fitting but decided to give the local shop a try. Looks like I should have just went with him in the first place. 

WITB:

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.8* Turned to 9.5* with Alta CB Red Stiff Flex

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade R15 Rescue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: Lazarus 52, 56, and 60

Putter: Putter Designed and Built by me!

10 minutes ago, hbetts said:

Looks like the Atlanta fitter is Elite Fit Golf or MobileClubMaker on youtube. I thought really hard about making the drive to see him for my driver fitting but decided to give the local shop a try. Looks like I should have just went with him in the first place. 

It's never too late ..... I still need to get down to Sycamore IL to see Jason and get fit for some irons its about the same distance from me as Atlanta is to you.

#GoBallsOutAlways #GoRickieGo

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip
Driving Irons:     :Sub70:699 Pro 2-:truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips

Irons:     Custom:Sub70: 639 CB 5-Pw :truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips   
Wedges:   WedgeFx 52,56,60-:truetemper: DG S400Shafts-NO1 50 Series Grips 
Putter:      :Sub70: Sycamore 007-NO1 P90 Pistol Grip
Ball:           :odin:X1

Bag:     Side Street- Back9 Backpack Bag

Link to my Bag Boy ZTF Review!

I would see the matching 3 wood as a starting place for testing or a fitting but I would not immediately assume that it is going to be a great fit. As others have mentioned, it also depends on what you need from the club in terms of gapping, forgiveness, primary function (tee/fairway), trajectory, etc.

I have used the fact that it was the matching 3W as the tiebreaker before when I was getting almost identical performance from two options while testing

My fairway woods(Ping  425), my hybrids(Titleist 818), my driver(Mizuno STZ 220) does not match either.  It is a good idea to get fit, but, if you don't have to get fit, at least try before you buy. Your local golf shop should have demo's for you to try.  And, you might want to consider a 4 wood vs a 3 wood for little more versatility.

play what works! I would guess that the only reason that tour players 'match' is because they are sponsored and are paid a LOT of money to and there isn't a big discernable difference for them.

there's nothing wrong with finding a good head/shaft combo that fits you and your swing and, in some cases, you can save quite a bit of cash doing it that way.

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I choose my driver, then buy the matching woods/metals - just a personal preference (see sig below). I’d definitely recommend playing the field picking a driver, but not quite as crucial for other woods as long as they’re also fitted (shaft weights would be different). But there’s nothing wrong with mixing and matching - whatever YOU are comfortable with will work for YOU. YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

I buy what fits my desired carry distance. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I think you can make damn near anything work these days, regardless of whether you stay in the line or not. It’s mostly about look/sound/feel at this point.
I’ve stayed in the Titleist family for the most part for the last 15 years with only a couple deviations, but I could play any of the current offerings in the fairway woods.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65TX
Titleist TSR2 15º -  LAGP Tour AXS Blu 70X
PING iCrossover 3i - PING Tour Chrome 2.0 X
Mizuno MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper 
Mizuno T22 47.5º, 52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

IMHO play what works for you. Am 77 yrs old. Play senior shafts in all my woods None match. Driver is 9deg PXG 211 (220 yds), 4wd is Tour edge (195yds), 7wd is Ping G430 (175 yds) and Callaway Steelhead 9wd (160 yds). Works for my game.

Retired Army aviator. 2 Vietnam tours flying Hueys.

I agree with some of the other replies that it’s best to try several different models. If you’ve never carried a three wood, you should definitely try some different ones out. They are no always the easiest things to hit. I recently ditched my 3 wood and went to a Titleist TSRi 4 wood at 16.5 degrees and it’s the smartest thing I have done in recent memory. Has become one of my favorite clubs in my bag.

On 6/27/2023 at 8:10 AM, hbetts said:

Totally play the field.  Just because you like your driver, that goesnt mean that you will like the matching 3-wood.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I have a PXG 0811 driver and PXG 0211 5W & 7W, followed by a Tour Edge 9W. Because I could not get a PXG 9W….

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER2 w/Gravity Grip or  ER6 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip or Tommy Armour Impact No. 3

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Bridgestone RXS Mindset, Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

So this is such a hard question to answer without knowing your game, seeing you swing, etc.  

Maybe three wood is a bad choice for you, period.  Especially as a higher 'cap it might be that you are best with 5 wood or 4 wood.  I caught that your fitting didn't go well I'm assuming the fitting was for driver.  If you don't like the driver it doesn't make sense to double down on a 3 wood that matches a club that you don't like.  Driver  and fairway wood shafts rarely match up - normally a fairway wood shaft will be a bit heavier - but not always.  

You could go back a couple of generations and try used stuff to see what works best and fit yourself that way but I would start with something that has a lot of loft - a 4 wood to start probably.  Maybe a 5.  Ping generally makes really good fairway woods so that's not a bad starting point.

Good luck

Driver: Taylor Made Xi10 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

7 hours ago, revkev said:

So this is such a hard question to answer without knowing your game, seeing you swing, etc.  

Maybe three wood is a bad choice for you, period.  Especially as a higher 'cap it might be that you are best with 5 wood or 4 wood.  I caught that your fitting didn't go well I'm assuming the fitting was for driver.  If you don't like the driver it doesn't make sense to double down on a 3 wood that matches a club that you don't like.  Driver  and fairway wood shafts rarely match up - normally a fairway wood shaft will be a bit heavier - but not always.  

You could go back a couple of generations and try used stuff to see what works best and fit yourself that way but I would start with something that has a lot of loft - a 4 wood to start probably.  Maybe a 5.  Ping generally makes really good fairway woods so that's not a bad starting point.

Good luck

I think trying a used 3W and a 5W sounds like a great cost effective idea to see if you should add another wood to your bag.  Even if it’s not the optimal fit, I believe it’s an inexpensive way to test the distance and trajectory for your game.  Then you can see what you should get fitted for and what these clubs can do before you get properly fitted.  

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User