Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

4-Iron Shaft in a Hybrid?

I have a spare 4-iron shaft since I don't use a 4-iron and I was thinking about ways to utilize it.

I know a utility iron makes the most sense, but I don't really hit those well either.

Has anyone put a hybrid on a 4-iron shaft? Is that a thing or is that a really bad idea? I know there are dedicated hybrid shafts, but I just thought if it's the same length required, can the 4-iron shaft work on a hybrid.

Thoughts?

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

10 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Has anyone put a hybrid on a 4-iron shaft? Is that a thing or is that a really bad idea? I know there are dedicated hybrid shafts, but I just thought if it's the same length required, can the 4-iron shaft work on a hybrid.

Thoughts?

Need to know the tip size.  Hybrids are often more wood shaft centric and use .355 or .355 tipped shafts. 

Here's a guide for you to browse.

https://www.golfworks.com/oem-hybrid-guides/

As long as you can match up the tip size,  I say give it a try.

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am in the same situation sorta... I have an extra spot in my bag currently and was thinking about putting a hybrid shaft in a 3 or 4iron and just use it as a driving iron. 

:ping-small: G430 LST - Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 XS

:callaway-small: AI Smoke Hybrid 3 & 5 - LA Golf A Series 105 XS

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKII 5i-AW - :Nippon: 1150 GH XS

:ping-small: - ChipR

:cobra-small: - Black SnakeBite 53 & 57

:scotty-small: - Super Select Golo 6.5

:taylormade-small: TP5x Yellow / :titleist-small: Left Dash / :bridgestone-small:B X / :srixon-small: ZStar 🔹

:Ogio:  

:Arccos:

@Shrek74  If you have a 4-iron shaft it's most likely .355 or .370, so you would need to pick a hybrid with the correct hosel bore to fit you shaft for an easy build.  Hybrids can come in .335 or .355 or .370 or .350, and a few older models could be an oddball size.  I'm assuming you are looking at a used club to disassemble, but new component heads would be another choice and less hassle.

Hopefully, your iron shaft is graphite which would be lighter and better suited for hybrid use than steel.

@anotherburntsteak  a little easier for you... determine whether .355 or .370 and selecting a hybrid or iron shaft with the characteristics that match what you are looking for.  That might be the difficult part; so many to choose from.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 1/22/2024 at 12:03 PM, Kenny B said:

@anotherburntsteak  a little easier for you... determine whether .355 or .370 and selecting a hybrid or iron shaft with the characteristics that match what you are looking for.  That might be the difficult part; so many to choose from.

I recently got fitted at Club Champion and fit into the LA Golf 105 A shaft for my hybrids -- I found a great deal on one online and I figured I could just take it to my local club builder (guy does a ton of work for me already) and see if he can put an iron head into it. I am just going back and forth between a driving iron or a 3/4i that matches my ZX MKII

In my mind this makes a ton of sense but I feel like I am missing something and just dont know what I dont know lol (so to speak)

:taylormade-small: TP5x Yellow / :titleist-small: Left Dash / :bridgestone-small:B X / :srixon-small: ZStar 🔹

26 minutes ago, anotherburntsteak said:

I recently got fitted at Club Champion and fit into the LA Golf 105 A shaft for my hybrids -- I found a great deal on one online and I figured I could just take it to my local club builder (guy does a ton of work for me already) and see if he can put an iron head into it. I am just going back and forth between a driving iron or a 3/4i that matches my ZX MKII

In my mind this makes a ton of sense but I feel like I am missing something and just dont know what I dont know lol (so to speak)

The shaft has a .370 tip size so whatever iron head you pick needs to accommodate the size of the tip.   

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The shaft has a .370 tip size so whatever iron head you pick needs to accommodate the size of the tip.   

I guess I have never looked at that info... Is that easy to find on the iron spec sheets?

4 minutes ago, anotherburntsteak said:

I guess I have never looked at that info... Is that easy to find on the iron spec sheets?

It is relatively easy to find.  Golfworks has a chart: https://www.golfworks.com/oem-golf-shaft-replacement-guides

If you have the head already you can also get some calipers to measure.   A call to the OEM customer service is a quick way.  Asking on forums or google search works too.   

Sanding down the tip to fit in a. Iron could be a bad thing and lead to a tip that is unstable and could lead to breaking.  Boring the iron hosel is another possible option 

The iron shaft you select is primarily based around the headweight. Classic head weights are as follows:

1: 232

2: 239

3: 246

4: 253

5: 260

6: 267

7: 274

8: 281

9: 288

W: 295

Wood Shafts

D (no trim): 204

3 (if trim, usually 1/2"): 214

5 (if trim, usually 1"): 222

Hybrid Shafts

No Trim: ~230

1/2": 237

1": 245

Most headweights are kinda all over the places these days, 7 irons have kinda gone down to the classic 6 weight, but whatever is closest to the weights I'd pick that shaft instead of saying "I'm gonna put a 6 iron shaft in a 6 iron". Read your OEMs shaft trimming guide.

• DRIVER: Maltby KE4 TC, Aldila Tour Green 75X, Tipped 1.5", 44.75"
  • 3W: Ping G425 LST, Aldila Tour Green 85X, Tipped 2", 43"
  • 3H: Ping G425, Aldila NV 2KXV Green 85X, Tipped 0.5", 42"
  • 4 - 7: Maltby TE+ Forged, Project X LZ 6.5
  • 8 - G: Maltby TS4 Forged, Project X LZ 6.5
  • SW, LW: Maltby TSW, Nippon Modus 120X, +0.5", 2* Flat
  • Putter: OpenSourceGolf Proto NP2 1/1, 347g, 35.5", Golf Pride Pro Only Red Star
  • Grips: Lamkin UTX Cord Blue
  • Balls: Titleist ProV1x Left Dash