Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Has Anyone Done a Putter Fitting?

Hacker60521

My current putter is an Odyssey O Works blade putter which I’ve played for several years and seems to get the job done for me. I borrowed an Odyssey Ai-ONE Seven DB putter which is a mallet-style putter from my pro shop. I’ve made at least 150+ putts from 5’ and 15’ with each putter and not finding a big difference in the outcomes. What I have learned is that when my putts are offline they tend to go right and my face angle gets to around 1 degree or so. So definitely enough to miss the cup but I’m not seeing big misfits. 

My question is whether anyone has done a putter fitting and how much benefit you’ve gained from the fitting. 

Thanks in advance!

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

I did a putter fitting and the biggest difference between the putter I had used for 15 years (Yes! Tracy) and what I got was that with the Tracy, I had to consciously hold the face open on the through stroke in order to start the ball on line. After the fitting with the new putter, the stroke was more automatic and I was confident the ball would start on line without conscious face intervention. The fitter also ensured the ball was starting rolling as soon as possible, but there wasn't much difference between my old putter and the new one. They both started rolling well.

Edited by Blueberry_Squishie

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

I have done multiple putter fittings.   Some have been good and some have been mediocre but I have learned things in all of them.  

My first question is what kind of fitting are you looking for?   You could do a basic fitting that is going to simply look at the length and lie angle on the putter  or something more indepth that uses tools like capto, Puttlab, or Quintic.   Or you could so something in between.    You mention that you were 1 degree open at impact so I am assuming that you have some kind of tool to do putting assessments.  

I think putting fittings are valuable and can help improve your putting.  They help you determine which putters you aim best, get you setup in a consistent position, launch the ball correctly,  and get the proper rotation to return the putter to the right position at impact to start the ball online.   However, the more you learn about putting the easier it is to fit yourself because you understand how the design aspects of the putter influence the stroke.  

The biggest issue is that you really need someone that is knowledgeable about putting and doesn't just read the numbers from the device.   I believe finding a good putter fitter is harder than finding a good full swing fitter.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@cnosil nailed it!  I've had a couple putter fittings, some good and some OK.  But I also learned something with each of them.  I always wondered why I always migrated to a certain putter.  Sure enough, a face balanced mallet putter was best fitted my putting stroke.   I felt going in to the fitting it was better to find a putter that matched my stroke than trying to change my stroke to fit the putter.  It would be difficult to fight decades of putting stroke muscle memory and make it sustainable.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

I have done multiple putter fittings.   Some have been good and some have been mediocre but I have learned things in all of them.  

My first question is what kind of fitting are you looking for?   You could do a basic fitting that is going to simply look at the length and lie angle on the putter  or something more indepth that uses tools like capto, Puttlab, or Quintic.   Or you could so something in between.    You mention that you were 1 degree open at impact so I am assuming that you have some kind of tool to do putting assessments.  

I think putting fittings are valuable and can help improve your putting.  They help you determine which putters you aim best, get you setup in a consistent position, launch the ball correctly,  and get the proper rotation to return the putter to the right position at impact to start the ball online.   However, the more you learn about putting the easier it is to fit yourself because you understand how the design aspects of the putter influence the stroke.  

The biggest issue is that you really need someone that is knowledgeable about putting and doesn't just read the numbers from the device.   I believe finding a good putter fitter is harder than finding a good full swing fitter.    

Wise words of wisdom from @cnosil  I’m lucky in that I’ve been fit for my putter at TXG using Quintic. It takes a knowledgeable fitter to interpret the numbers with what they’re actually seeing together with an appropriate selection of putters.  The first time, I had them install the BGT stability shaft together with Evnroll gravity grip based on their recommendation   Not an inexpensive option but it made a huge difference.  Combined with putting lessons, a putter is fitter is indeed worthwhile and you do learn something every time you do one. But I would do my homework first and have a shortlist of putters that you tried or like.  Which is the most consistent with your stroke, which is helpful in alignment, setup, etc. 

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

The place where my swing coach works installed a Quintic system a couple of years ago, and since he knew that I was looking for a putter, offered to fit me for free if I was willing to be a guinea pig.  Umm, yeah!

I'm a retired engineer, and as such, am a sucker for numbers, gadgets and anything technical.  And man, the Quintic spits out a lot of data! I won't go into everything,  but I had a tendency to miss putts to the right, and I always thought that I was pushing them.   Nope.  The data showed that my path was fine, but that I was leaving the face open, and was imparting a cut spin on the ball.  The fitting turned into a lesson, and we fixed that.  

I ended up with  Bettinardi BB8-W, in no small part because it got my putts rolling the soonest.   

:ping-small: G430 Max HL Max Driver

:ping-small: G430 Max HL 5- and 7-Woods

:ping-small: G430 Max  HL 4-Hybrid

:titleist-small: T300 6-GW Irons

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 52 and 58 degree Wedges

:titleist-small: Vokey SM9 56 degree Sand Wedge

:bettinardi-small: BB-8W Putter

:titleist-small: ProV1x Balls

Semper ubi, sub ubi.

On 3/4/2024 at 11:27 AM, Hacker60521 said:

My current putter is an Odyssey O Works blade putter which I’ve played for several years and seems to get the job done for me. I borrowed an Odyssey Ai-ONE Seven DB putter which is a mallet-style putter from my pro shop. I’ve made at least 150+ putts from 5’ and 15’ with each putter and not finding a big difference in the outcomes. What I have learned is that when my putts are offline they tend to go right and my face angle gets to around 1 degree or so. So definitely enough to miss the cup but I’m not seeing big misfits. 

My question is whether anyone has done a putter fitting and how much benefit you’ve gained from the fitting. 

Thanks in advance!

I did one at Club Champion and it was amazing. When you get on the SAMM putting machine it will show you everything you need to know about your putting. They will have putter options if your current putter in not a match. They will also make sure your loft, lie, length and grip are the correct specs. Overall, I highly recommend Club Champion. They usually cost about $100 dollars, but they will credit it back on a new purchase.

SjW

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the same putter for over 12 years.  Putter was a Mizuno Black Carbon Mallet made by Bettinardi with the fit face.  Ten years ago I did a putter fitting with an Edel cart.  After over an hour of the fitter trying different combinations he told me my original putter suits me best.  The grip was worn so I had him put on a round grip which I really liked.

Last year I had another putter fitting with TXG (have all my clubs fitted there).  Alex did the fitting and wanted to change the grip very slightly heavier on the Black Carbon putter.  Seemed like it would not be much of a difference but everything fell in place after that.  His parting words to me was never replace my putter. 

A lucky Ebay buy.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3