2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

The Good Evening Thread

Erin B

Good evening fellow spies… Less than 48 hours away from getting the verdict from the Medico doubleheader on my health status and possibly being released from NO golf purgatory……  
  Going with Murphy’s Law here. I am guessing since “ Those People “ want to send me off to earn my daily bread on Monday; that the Medico’s turn me loose to start playing golf again. IF so, there very well will be a hell of a lot of golf played this coming weekend. 
   Back to “ Those People “ and this morning’s Zoom call. Had some youngster from HS&E give us a pep talk about the coming summer and possible heat index’s around plus/minus 115-120°. We were told that the heat was deadly if not prepared for it. She ( always seems to be a SHE that is voicing statements about my health and possible death 😇 ) then stated that as a 71 year old man that I needed to do my diligence when it came to heat… I first informed her that I was 72, not 71 and that I was born in hell and currently living with the Devil’s sister. The Zoom call ended soon, very soon after that.  
  Good night my fellow spies.  

Good evening everybody!

Current view at Port Hueneme Pier

IMG20240501171555.jpg.2e0028e2ba9b145143d6e1aff949b06a.jpg

Doing a little fishing before we head back into traffic to Long Beach!

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

Just now, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

Good evening everybody!

Current view at Port Hueneme Pier

IMG20240501171555.jpg.2e0028e2ba9b145143d6e1aff949b06a.jpg

Doing a little fishing before we head back into traffic to Long Beach!

Catching anything?

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Catching anything?

Just a couple little local bay fish. I'm not really the fisherman, we just like to come out from time to time and relax.

IMG20240501173908.jpg.2c67cc15988b1cc8dc64c0d10213badd.jpg

Edited by Michael.Sandoval33

WITB

4 minutes ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

Just a couple little local bay fish. I'm not really the fisherman, we just like to come out from time to time and relax.

IMG20240501173908.jpg.2c67cc15988b1cc8dc64c0d10213badd.jpg

That's what it's all about!  I can run the boat and just go out to enjoy the coast and nature. Don't get me wrong, love to fish and catch, but it's just peaceful. 

Good evening MGS troops!!! Got out to play today. 
IMG_4891.jpeg.73ceadfb1391749cc60e8b2c3b177a83.jpegIMG_4892.jpeg.6292f7507ef57fd374053fb51a849e77.jpeg

It was a scramble day. Have a great night!!!

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver-5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

Ping 425-6 Dot Newton tipped 45" shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver-5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft 

Woods: Ping 425 Max 3-Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1+ shaft

Hybrid: PXG 0317 17*-Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1+ shaft

Irons: New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons 6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

Wedges: PXG 311 Gen 3 52-56 Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Putter: TaylorMade Truss Heal

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Ball: OnCore VeroX 

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63748-bridgestone-mindset-golf-ball-testing-sampling-and-shot-scope-ops/?do=findComment&comment=1046248

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

16 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

That's what it's all about!  I can run the boat and just go out to enjoy the coast and nature. Don't get me wrong, love to fish and catch, but it's just peaceful. 

Most definitely, I've always lived near the ocean so it was always what we did to get away for a little while and enjoy the calm. Can't beat it.

WITB

3 hours ago, buckpillar said:

FINALLY ITS INSTALLED!!!

Just wanted to share my newly installed backyard putting green, also the first putts on the green just so happened to be with the mindset balls. 

So far I'm happy with the green, I still need to roll it to get out the bumps and make it smooth. Lucille(Odyssey AI#1 CH) felt very good with the mindset balls today, better than the last time I played.

The mindsets will be in play tomorrow for a quick 18 with an old friend that just returned to town.

Check out the video and pictures, I will be landscaping in the near future.

20240501_172926.jpg

20240501_173536.jpg

20240501_171258.jpg

Ok, that's pretty cool!  Great job!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

20 minutes ago, buckpillar said:

OUCH!!!

Yeah, it's healing,  but man i miss the ability to use it beyond tapping on a phone !

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

3 minutes ago, buckpillar said:

Nice round

Thank you! I was scrambling which is good and bad. Was short on shots that I shouldn’t have been short on. Putting could have been better, left some birds out there, but I’m working with a different putter so it’s to be expected.

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63748-bridgestone-mindset-golf-ball-testing-sampling-and-shot-scope-ops/?do=findComment&comment=1046248

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

7 minutes ago, Erin B said:

Thank you! I was scrambling which is good and bad. Was short on shots that I shouldn’t have been short on. Putting could have been better, left some birds out there, but I’m working with a different putter so it’s to be expected.

Going to play tomorrow, using the Bridgestone mindset balls , see if they will do better than last time. Using the new Takomo irons also

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

10 hours ago, buckpillar said:

Going to play tomorrow, using the Bridgestone mindset balls , see if they will do better than last time. Using the new Takomo irons also

I’m eager to hear about your Takomo’s. Do you have the 201s? I’m liking my new levels but am always curious about different manufacturers. I think my mindset balls were ok, I like the concept, but not the ball itself. My review is in my signature if you’re interested in reading it.

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

19 minutes ago, Erin B said:

I’m eager to hear about your Takomo’s. Do you have the 201s? I’m liking my new levels but am always curious about different manufacturers. I think my mindset balls were ok, I like the concept, but not the ball itself. My review is in my signature if you’re interested in reading it.

I went with the 101's getting older need to get the distance back, so far really impressed with them, I ll check out the review, I think I'm right where you are currently about the ball, my thought is that I don't need anything looking back at me being a distraction. We will see how it goes, going to let my friend try them today also when we play.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

4 hours ago, buckpillar said:

I went with the 101's getting older need to get the distance back, so far really impressed with them, I ll check out the review, I think I'm right where you are currently about the ball, my thought is that I don't need anything looking back at me being a distraction. We will see how it goes, going to let my friend try them today also when we play.

Awesome! Yeah, I let my friend try them too. He likes them and they’re more his style. He hits straighter with them than with his gamer ball.

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

4 hours ago, Erin B said:

Awesome! Yeah, I let my friend try them too. He likes them and they’re more his style. He hits straighter with them than with his gamer ball.

Played pretty well today,  Takomo irons felt awesome hit some bullets close, madea couple birds burnt several edges.  Then of course 2 blow up holes.. no 3 putts

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

Good evening spies! All I did was work and wash los poopies. No golf. Anyone wanna guess why? 
IMG_4897.gif.de43175d9cbff7467d226142626f0577.gif
Damnit!!! I had a new tipped shaft to try out. Anyway that’s about it. Hope you have a great evening! 

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

20 minutes ago, Erin B said:

Good evening spies! All I did was work and wash los poopies. No golf. Anyone wanna guess why? 
IMG_4897.gif.de43175d9cbff7467d226142626f0577.gif
Damnit!!! I had a new tipped shaft to try out. Anyway that’s about it. Hope you have a great evening! 

That time of year for the wind. It was cranking here too. 

Good evening spies. I would like to say I accomplished everything I set out to do, but had a few hiccups along the way. With the lawn mowed I proceeded to tackle the gutters,  and had a life eclipsing moment as a 50mph gust caught my backside and pushed me off the roof.  In true Clark Griswold fashion, I grabbed the gutter. My feet were just s a little over 10 feet from the ground,  As i was seriously contemplating the adventures of my youth of jumping from rooftops, the 20 year old gutter made up my mind for me as it gave way.... slowly.  Enough that I was able to let go at about 4 feet high. 

The next 4 hours was alot of cussing, 3 lowes trips, and the dreaded call to the lady boss. I was expecting an "are you ok?" But instead was quickly reminded that we have 50 guests arriving Sunday,  and the next 2 days we will be out of town for the head ceremonies. 

And yes, I am OK. 😆 

2 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Good evening spies. I would like to say I accomplished everything I set out to do, but had a few hiccups along the way. With the lawn mowed I proceeded to tackle the gutters,  and had a life eclipsing moment as a 50mph gust caught my backside and pushed me off the roof.  In true Clark Griswold fashion, I grabbed the gutter. My feet were just s a little over 10 feet from the ground,  As i was seriously contemplating the adventures of my youth of jumping from rooftops, the 20 year old gutter made up my mind for me as it gave way.... slowly.  Enough that I was able to let go at about 4 feet high. 

The next 4 hours was alot of cussing, 3 lowes trips, and the dreaded call to the lady boss. I was expecting an "are you ok?" But instead was quickly reminded that we have 50 guests arriving Sunday,  and the next 2 days we will be out of town for the head ceremonies. 

And yes, I am OK. 😆 

I am not NOT taking on the gutters in the wind here. I have a two story house and no way am I many with that in our wind. I’m happy you’re ok though! 

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

Glad to hear you're okay @Rob Person I too remember my roof jumping activities and thinking back on it, I would've done it all over again!

Well, today was a great birthday out on the course, which is all that I wanted. Ended up shooting +25, again! I can't break this number for the life of me. It was my first time playing at Hesperia Golf & Country Club where they had previously cancelled my res. for some still unknown reason.

(9) 3-PUTTS!!! 44 putts total so it has gotten worse. The next purchase is a putting mat without a doubt. 

Still, any day golfing is a great one!

WITB

4 minutes ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

Glad to hear you're okay @Rob Person I too remember my roof jumping activities and thinking back on it, I would've done it all over again!

Well, today was a great birthday out on the course, which is all that I wanted. Ended up shooting +25, again! I can't break this number for the life of me. It was my first time playing at Hesperia Golf & Country Club where they had previously cancelled my res. for some still unknown reason.

(9) 3-PUTTS!!! 44 putts total so it has gotten worse. The next purchase is a putting mat without a doubt. 

Still, any day golfing is a great one!

Trust me when I say it will happen! It took alot of time, patience,  and practice! (And a ton of reading here, and some personal advice too!)

Become consistent with one part of your game at a time. Doesn't matter which part.  

I also moved up a tee to gain confidence,  then moved back once I hit a point I was consistent.  I still struggle with any iron above the 8i

Glad you had a great birthday. 

12 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Trust me when I say it will happen! It took alot of time, patience,  and practice! (And a ton of reading here, and some personal advice too!)

Become consistent with one part of your game at a time. Doesn't matter which part.  

I also moved up a tee to gain confidence,  then moved back once I hit a point I was consistent.  I still struggle with any iron above the 8i

Glad you had a great birthday. 

Definitely, I take all the advice and tips and put them to use but with anything it will take practice. I actually thought this would happen where I would reach a certain point because I was getting better pretty fast, and then hit a small plateau where I needed to start working on other parts of the game to improve. Putting is the one that is definitely standing out, but its also about my approach. Still love the feeling of hitting those one or two really great shots each round and I feel like that is a lifelong chase 🏃‍♂️

WITB

@Rob Person glad you’re ok and always good to know where you fit on the list of priorities with the boss so you don’t get your expectations too high 😉

@Michael.Sandoval33 pleased you enjoyed your birthday. I’d echo Rob’s advice and say concentrate on one thing at a time and you’ll get there. I’d also say forget about beating +25, the more you concentrate on that the tenser you’ll become and your game will suffer. Try and just play without adding extra pressure on yourself. 
As we all know there is no easy fix and this game can be so frustrating at times but that’s part of the fun. 
My advice would be to concentrate on your putting. This is where we can gain the most strokes as it’s the club we use the most. Once you can get some consistency with the putter you will see your scores tumble. 
Stick with it and you’ll get there 👍

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik 3 hybrid 

Irons: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik  4-AW,

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws MD5 50 and 56 wedges

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

IMG_5085.jpeg

9 hours ago, Rob Person said:

And yes, I am OK. 😆 

Haha. I can see the slow mo replay!  

My wife would have laughed, but then again she grew up that way and has no problem pointing out the duds. Ha. 

Glad you survived and got the gutter repaired. 

9 hours ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

Step back and let’s figure out what is happening.  What is the reason for the 3 putts?.

from 0-3 feet you should be making 95+%, as you short moving away from the hole misses should be within about 10% of the total distance.  As you start getting into the 35+’ range you’ll get some 3 putts creeping in.  

are you missing the short putts, do you have poor distance control?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Step back and let’s figure out what is happening.  What is the reason for the 3 putts?.

from 0-3 feet you should be making 95+%, as you short moving away from the hole misses should be within about 10% of the total distance.  As you start getting into the 35+’ range you’ll get some 3 putts creeping in.  

are you missing the short putts, do you have poor distance control?  

It has most certainly been poor distance control on my behalf. From around 15-20' I have been leaving the putts short early on in the round, the ball stopping somewhere near the halfway point and not setting myself up for a good second go. And then I begin to over-correct and start pushing the ball far past the cup without really finding a good middle ground by time I walk off of the 18th. 

Overall I had maybe 4 putts yesterday that were in the proximity I was looking for from the longer distance. And a few that I was able to two putt considering the beginning distance from the pin.

WITB

18 minutes ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

It has most certainly been poor distance control on my behalf. From around 15-20' I have been leaving the putts short early on in the round, the ball stopping somewhere near the halfway point and not setting myself up for a good second go. And then I begin to over-correct and start pushing the ball far past the cup without really finding a good middle ground by time I walk off of the 18th. 

Overall I had maybe 4 putts yesterday that were in the proximity I was looking for from the longer distance. And a few that I was able to two putt considering the beginning distance from the pin.

my thoughts:

Okay so speed control.  Unfortunately that is a hard thing to buy an aid to try and fix.   It really comes down to having a consistent rhythm that carries over for all putts.   A metronome is probably the one thing that can help.   

you should do all kind of ladder drills and such to practice but we also need to work on the skill of having good touch and how you need to move the putter.  

Uses a phrase like one potato two; one potato is said for the backswing and two is the forward swing.  You can say it slow or fast but it is consistently the same tempo for all length putts.    Next the mind is a powerful thing.  You can probably toss a ball different distances, putting is the same.   I’d suggest finding a putt and making an overly large swing for that distance and the. Look at the hole and let swing length adjust based on the need to get the ball to the hole.  Then use that swing for your putt.  Move the putter back with one potato and let it fall through with two.  You shouldn’t need to add any effort to the putt, just let it happen.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG