How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

52 minutes ago, TAGolf13 said:

Ok, so it wasn't just me yesterday. Made absolutely nothing on the greens. Five or six very makeable birdie putts. Nothing!

My brother in strife.  40. 40 putts on the day. I sold my putter before I got home. Well actually traded it. But you get the point

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

Another great round for me this past Sunday.  Played at a local county course in SE WI...love it there.  18 holes for $30 (walking and with $5 discount for being older than 58...what a bargain.  Shot 38-36 (74).  Game is on right now.  Hope it stays.  Going to Phoenix area this weekend to see my son and play some good golf.  Have rounds at Troon Nort, TPC, Southern Dunes and The Raven club.  Hope it make ok...tempss still hovering around 105 or so.

Hit em Straight!

Edited by mwade4040

MPW

36 minutes ago, Off Map Oscar said:

My brother in strife.  40. 40 putts on the day. I sold my putter before I got home. Well actually traded it. But you get the point

multiple times this year i have shot low 40s (9 holes) and had more than half of my shots due to putts. i feel the pain

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS

3 wood - Callaway Rogue Max ST

5 wood - Ram

4 hybrid - Cobra T-rail

Irons (5-AW) - Taylormade Speedblade HL

Wedges, Taylormade Milled Grind 3 56

Putter: Taylormade Spider GT

Bag: Cobra cart bag

Balls: Taylormade TP5 Pix or Bridgestone E12 contact

Tracker: Arccos

On 8/18/2024 at 5:03 PM, Byrnzee said:

Played Naperbrook Golf Course today about an hour outside Chicago. My friends and I have been playing some tougher tracks lately, so we decided to play here as it's a bit less challenging, yet still a fun course. Only about $70 including a cart, which is pretty reasonable anywhere near Chicago. Weather was very nice in the low 70s and sunny with a slight breeze.

Ended up playing the blue tees at around 6400 yards and shot 84 (42-42). Definitely should've been a lower score today, but ball striking wasn't the best. Had a few good drives, especially with my 2-iron, but irons were all over the place. Two doubles and two 3-putts didn't help the score either. Finishing strong with a birdie on the recently reworked par-5 18th, which was a nice way to walk-off.

No golf for the next couple weeks as I'll be in Italy for my honeymoon. Hope to get back at it when I return in September. Until next round 🫡

Have an awesome journey! I guess the new bride doesn't play, eh? How cool would it be to share a round in Italy with your sweetheart. Maybe one day.

Still swinging after all these years

24 minutes ago, TAGolf13 said:

Have an awesome journey! I guess the new bride doesn't play, eh? How cool would it be to share a round in Italy with your sweetheart. Maybe one day.

She doesn't, although she has rode along a few times and enjoys that part. We've talked about potentially getting her a starter set and getting some practice in at the local driving range.

With how much moving around we're doing, it just didn't make sense for the trip to try and sneak some golf in. I've played plenty so far this year and have some fun golf trips to look forward to when I return, so I don't mind the break 😅

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425 Max 9.0º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Blue Velocore 6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Red Velocore 7S

Driving Iron: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png U505 2-iron, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85S 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: default_odyssey-small.jpg.a7dc06ee6fc9b8df09953a46df717684.jpg Ai-ONE Jailbird Mini DB 35"

Ball:  Maxfli_new(1).png.543c09044d6b6e8a80c748512567d803.png Tour X

4 hours ago, JAYER38 said:

Redemption round for last Thursday!

Summary: Went back to Kiln Creek Golf Club & Resort for my 2nd time to see how I could fair now knowing the course a bit better. Was very happy with it for the most part. Driving was worse as I somehow just lost the feeling mid way into the front 9 and it shows on the scorecard... But it did allow me to test my skills in the rough again haha. Once I got the feel back it was on ending the round with 5 pars in a row!!

Bad: Gave away alot with losing the feeling for the driver swing. Unsure how this happened but it is a new feeling so takes time to engrain and I had to just work thru it. Chipping was still mediocre at best, left alot short as last time I was hitting them way long and it cause alot of long putts which we all know you can grind on but so long during a round....

Good: Grinding away honestly. Walked away from the round very satisfied knowing the 80's are right around the corner! Just have to keep those triple & penalties off the card which is easier said than done but enjoying the new driver swing and engraining this feeling that is so foreign but works so well and make effortless speed!!

Score: 95

Pars: 6 (1/5)

Bogeys: 5

Triple Bogey+: 2

Putts: 34 (18/16)

Fairways: 4 (2/2)

Penalty's: 4 (3/1)

KILNCREEKSCORECARD.jpg.df07c47756b3146de703d5a766740c74.jpg

Excellent example for me! I'm heading back out on Friday morning to a course (Magnolia Landings, in North Fort Myers, FL) that beat me up yesterday...and I was only playing from the green tees (68.7/121)! It's a course I hadn't played in years, and with my senior decline, didn't remember it at all. All I remembered was that I really liked this track, and that memory was on point. Other than being in a gated community, this track is one of my all-time favorites...and it wasn't even in tip-top shape yesterday. 

Anyway, it's a course that requires some local knowledge and better use of a rangefinder than I managed yesterday because there are some blind tee-shots, interesting angles off the tee, water on all but two holes, and neatly mounded fairways and great bunkering. The greens range from small to large with subtle undulations, and I'm not doing this course justive here. Even though it rained early in the round, two of the greens were temporary greens, and two others had some obvious recent repair, it was a joy to play. 

There aren't too many times that I thoroughly enjoy shooting 93, but this layout is so delightful, and my beloved was along for the ride, that I booked another round for Friday. I'm going to use no warm-up, not even a putt, as my excuse, but I know it's only an excuse. With a bit more course knowledge, and better club selection as a result, even if I don't putt any better tnan I did yesterday I imagine I'm going lower than I did yesterday. Of course, that's contingent on me striking the ball well, which I did most of the round yesterday. I can't remember the last time I had 6 penalty strokes. Six! I had five birdie putts under 12 feet and made ZERO! Even missed a a 3-footer for par to end my run of 3 conscutive pars from 9 - 11. I think missing all those birdie putts got to me. With the Myrtle Beach World Am on the horizon next week, I have to get back out there and try to shoot for a score. Yesterday was about fun. Friday I will be testing myself. Mental game needs even more work than my physical game.😒 Let''s hope I leave the course on Friday feeling like you did when you left Kiln Creek JAYER38!🤞

As you can see from the scorecard, I was all over the place yesterday. I'll post Friday's round even if it's worse. Redemption round coming up!

MAGNOLIA_0820-2024.jpg.aa0c60cbf1c7f9029bd4aeb80d5f0e0f.jpg

7 minutes ago, Byrnzee said:

She doesn't, although she has rode along a few times and enjoys that part. We've talked about potentially getting her a starter set and getting some practice in at the local driving range.

With how much moving around we're doing, it just didn't make sense for the trip to try and sneak some golf in. I've played plenty so far this year and have some fun golf trips to look forward to when I return, so I don't mind the break 😅

Happy honeymoon partner! My beloved rides along often and enjoys that as well. She's talking about giving golf a try again though and I'm looking forward to that. Her swing is gorgeous, but in the past, once she put a ball down the results haven't been what she wanted. Perhaps a lesson or two before she hits the range might be a consideration. I think that's how we're rolling this time and with a female pro. Wishing you both the best on the trip!🥂

3 hours ago, Off Map Oscar said:

Yeah brother. I feel your pain. 36 putts on my round. I'm pretty sure it's me and not the putter though. I've putt really well with that thing on a number of occasions, just not lately. Made three birdies in a row for the first time a month ago, then out of the blue got the yips for a day. Only yipped one putt yesterday (3-footer for par on 12), but man those missed opportunities sting! Just picked up a part-time gig on a beautiful track today and I'll be bugging the pros for help with my game and hitting the practice area like gold is buried there.

FOREST_3BIRD_0723-2024.jpg.54de283cd33f709ea1766aadae8a44e6.jpg

12 minutes ago, TAGolf13 said:

Yeah brother. I feel your pain. 36 putts on my round. I'm pretty sure it's me and not the putter though. I've putt really well with that thing on a number of occasions, just not lately. Made three birdies in a row for the first time a month ago, then out of the blue got the yips for a day. Only yipped one putt yesterday (3-footer for par on 12), but man those missed opportunities sting! Just picked up a part-time gig on a beautiful track today and I'll be bugging the pros for help with my game and hitting the practice area like gold is buried there.

FOREST_3BIRD_0723-2024.jpg.54de283cd33f709ea1766aadae8a44e6.jpg

Ouch. My boat was slightly different.  I had been trying out a broomstick and I lost all feel with it. I could hit straight every time. But no distance control over 10 ft. 

1 minute ago, Off Map Oscar said:

Ouch. My boat was slightly different.  I had been trying out a broomstick and I lost all feel with it. I could hit straight every time. But no distance control over 10 ft. 

I sure hope I get some feel back before Monday. Everytime I step up to a putt the past couple of weeks it feels like I just crossed the border into a foreign country. My distance has been good 90% of the time, but I'm beginning to feel like Rory: nothing's dropping! Keep me posted on your putting journey. It might help me find my way back to some decent putting. I tried the long putter years ago and might have to try it again if this keeps up!

I traded into a lab DF3 counterbalance and trying to get the feel for it now. I do a ton of under 7 footers on my matt and it helps with confidence on striking square. Distance I've got a drill that I put in the how did you practice thread. Been watching a bunch of videos on green reading as well. Not sure what technique I want to use yet. Usually just winging it based on feel had been okay but it's not good enough to get me down to the single digit handi I want. If I could consistently be under 30 putts a round I'd be happy. 

Individual low net with gross and net skins today at men's league.  37/41 with four 3 putts... it's been awhile since I've done that 🫣.  Ended up +3 for T12 with no skins.  One in our group had an absolutely awful day, coming in dead last in the low net, but picked up a gross and net skin on one hole.  That's how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Played at Crockett Ridge in Kingsport, TN today. I play here about once a month. Usually a pretty nice track, but the greens are in terrible shape right now. There’s a bunch of dead spots in the greens, and while they’re usually super-fast, they clearly haven’t cut the greens in a day or two – making the greens excruciatingly slow and impossible to read. I can conservatively say the condition of the greens cost me 3-5 strokes today.

Still really struggling with driver off the tee…might need a lesson or something, because it’s ridiculous that I can hit every other club in my bag well but can’t hit a 460cc club like an adult on a consistent basis. It’s really costing me on the par 5s and long par 4s.

Other than driver, I hit the ball really well from tee to green today – however, the offset in my Callaway Mavrik irons is becoming a bigger issue for me, especially when I try compensating for it and end up hitting it off the toe. While I dream of bespoke P790s or T200s, Takomo is really starting to call my name.

I had five putts for birdie and 7 for par today between 6-10 feet and missed them all. Some of it is because I’m terrible, some of it was definitely because of the greens.

44 on the front, 41 on the back for an 85. Probably should have been 79-81 but for the greens…still haven’t broken 80 since 4/2/24. Irritating.

Of note: Although I had zero birdies today (can’t remember last time that happened), one of the guys I played with put his 2nd shot on the par 5 18th to about 3 inches for a tap-in eagle. I’ve holed out for eagle, chipped in for eagle, and made long putts for eagle – but I’ve never had a tap-in. It was a great shot.

Also - I started using Maxflix Tour X the last few rounds in lieu of ProV1x. Awesome distance, I haven't lost any spin on approach/around the green. A little firmer off the putter, but not enough to make a huge difference…and of course, the cost difference is huge, especially considering that you can currently get 4 dozen for $110.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5 loft, dialed down to 9.5

Callaway Mavrik 3 Wood 15 loft

Tommy Armour 845 2 iron 

Callaway Mavrik 3 Hybrid

Callaway Mavrik irons (5-AW)

Vokey SM9 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5+

49 minutes ago, Nick_Chilelli said:

I went back home to Philly last week to visit family and some friends for a make-shift golf trip that I haven’t seen in years and played absolutely lights out. We played four courses that we would regularly go to before I moved to South Carolina and the memories came flooding back. Golf is a very reminiscent game for me, and while I tend to always remember a course after playing it once, these feel like the back of my hand. Shot a collective 4 under across the four rounds and lowered my handicap to a +3.2. Now that I’m back in Charleston the grind continues, and I’ll be putting in more range work to get the consistency even more dialed in. 

IMG_8649.jpeg

Great playing. Congrats

Callaway Epic Speed 9*

Callaway Rouge ST Pro

Oddessy Rossie OG

Played 18 holes on Monday, I will have to say it was the worst day I have had in a long time. The only club I could hit was my 3 wood. Shot 92.

No comes today, played the same course and shot an even par 71, the best round ever. 

not sure why the 2 totally different days in the same week

Cobra LTDX 10.5driver

Cobra LTDX 3 wood

Cobra Aerojet 3 hybrid

Cobra King Tour irons 4 thru p UST Recoil 680 shafts

Cobra Snakebite 48, 54, 60

Cobra Vintage Stingray 40

Snell Prime 3.0

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

Just miss all the greens.   I’ll be happy with 36 if I hit all the greens.  

I played a round recently where I had 11 putts on the front nine…amazing putting day, right?

Well, I chipped in twice and only hit 2 greens.  The chipping was getting close enough to salvage a decent round…but stats alone can be deceiving.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

6 hours ago, Off Map Oscar said:

If I could consistently be under 30 putts a round I'd be happy. 

Me too! My putting is even worse than putts per round as I chip in or close often and end up with one putt on the card. My putts per GIR would be pretty ugly. Likely over 2 with the 2 or 3 three-putts I throw in per round 😔.

32 minutes ago, Boris119 said:

The only club I could hit was my 3 wood.

The silver lining here is that despite the score you had a great day with the most difficult club in the game  😉

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Ventus Velocore+ Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&3 -- Tensei CK Orange

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 56/10º@55º  58º/10  C-Taper Lite 110

Putter

Test.png Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

Quick little exec 9 in the 100+ degree heat.  I was the only doofus out there since its walking only on this course.

+3 for the day with only one real hiccup where I shorted a chip and ended up doubling the hole.  Highlight of the day was my putter turning a +4 into a +3 via a 30 footer for birdie.  I was very happy because it meant I could get back into the shade/AC and not have to putt again.  😆

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Ventus Velocore+ Blue

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Test.png Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

1 hour ago, TJ Hall said:

but stats alone can be deceiving.

Definitely.  As I have learned more about golf over the years I have learned how the "traditional" metrics don't really give the right information.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Had anyone taken lessons and gotten substantially worse because of it?

I'm like 4 weeks in on lessons and it has royally fd my game up to the point I'm debating quiting. When I signed up I was a 15 handicap trying to get better. When they started I was an 11 that would fairly consistently hit 80. In the last 4 weeks since they started everything has fallen apart and I realized today during my round that I'm hearing the instructors in my swing thoughts and in my pre shot. It's messing me up. I was knocking on the door of even par.... now I'm constantly closer to 90 and it's not fun. 

47 minutes ago, Off Map Oscar said:

Had anyone taken lessons and gotten substantially worse because of it?

I'm like 4 weeks in on lessons and it has royally fd my game up to the point I'm debating quiting. When I signed up I was a 15 handicap trying to get better. When they started I was an 11 that would fairly consistently hit 80. In the last 4 weeks since they started everything has fallen apart and I realized today during my round that I'm hearing the instructors in my swing thoughts and in my pre shot. It's messing me up. I was knocking on the door of even par.... now I'm constantly closer to 90 and it's not fun. 

It can takes a while to make big changes and even longer to unlearn old habits.  I regressed a lot when I first took some lessons...  Wife bought me a series of five and I should have spaces them out over a year, but I didn't.   It was too much information too quickly and it took a long time and a lot of frustration to get the changes to solidify.  If id spaced it out I probably would have taken the same amount of time with less frustration.

There are two things that helped me install the changes.

1.  Drawing a solid divide between play and practice.   In practice you get to think about the things your coach tells you and work on them.   When you play, just play the swing you've got for the day.   The course isn't the place for mechanics.   I try not to think about my swing at all when I'm playing.   Just do my pre shot and go.   

2.  It also helps to just go out and not keep score every once in a while.  The mental game is arguably more important than mechanics (it was for me). The single greatest thing I've learned over the last few years is entirely mental.   None of us(almost none) are putting food on the table with our golf game so why are you putting pressure on yourself that's so great that it's interrupting your enjoyment of the game?   The moment I clued into this late last year was the breakthrough that I had been pushing so hard for for years.  It let me play relaxed almost all the time and I've gone from bouncing back and forth between 11-12.5 to 8.5 with legitimate chances to shoot in the mid 70s and regular rounds under 80. 

Good luck. 

Driver

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Test.png Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

Another horror show front 9, and the back wasn’t much better.

sometimes the mind and the body just refuse to speak to one another 

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

23 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

That sounds a lot like when my lower body gets tired of hauling my upper body around and abruptly decides that it will no longer participate in the golf swing in any meaningful way.

Driver

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Test.png Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

10 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Another horror show front 9, and the back wasn’t much better.

This was me on the back 9 a few days ago. Couldn't pull together a decent drive, approach,  or putt.  Yesterday was heading that way too after hole 12.  Not sure if it's the 110⁰ heat or the playing late afternoon after being so since 0430, but it was almost time to call the round in and just card the front 9.

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

7 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Yesterday was an exciting round for me. Had a decent day of fairways and approaches. Putting was great from inside 12' but I had bad issues with longer putts and lagging to the hole. Granted, a few were from the off fringe.  Had my closest shot at grabbing a Hi1 too! I always try to record my par 3s if possible. Especially if playing solo.

Anyway,  here's a few of the holes I did manage to record.

Longest drive was 262 yards. Not sure how much was roll out. Average drive was approximately 245 yards. 20 yards further than I'm used to. Only changes I've made to my swing was going back to an interlocking grip, and trying to stand taller at address.

Did have 1 bad blowup hole on the back 9, a dang greenside bunker got me. 😠 

I love the Vlog Rob! What kind of camera are you recording on? We gotta get you a shot tracer in there!

Taylormade Stealth 9 Degree Fujikura Ventus Red 5-S

Titleist TS2 15 Degree Project X Hzrdus Smoke 70g

Titleist TSr1 18 Degree Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75g

Mizuno MP-32 True Temper S400

Titleist Vokey SM8 56, 60 Degree

Ping Anser 2 2024 Release