Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Played 27 yesterday, in Michigan, on Dec. 13th, but golf was never so hard.

There was heavy fog for 3 holes, there it was thin, wet lies, flaring mid irons, chunked 3 shots in a row in front of a lake that ended up a "pentuple" bogey, then the short game was not stellar and even though I didn't know it, I fell in the hole.

Shot 45/41, then we goofed off with a 9 hole scramble. I tried to be thankful for the rare opportunity to golf in December, but I was shocked and humbled how hard the game of golf can be.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

We had a strong low pressure system move into the area on Friday night. Saturday was breezy, today was a bit less, although there were plenty of gusts in the 20 mile per hour range. Needless to say with a balky driver Saturday was rough and today was slightly better. The flat stick was working yesterday, but today was meh. Missed a lot of makable putts the last few days.  I hit prob around 96 yesterday but a 45 on the back. Today shot 43 and was gunning for the first under 90 round in awhile before dark hit and my shots went to heck. On the plus side played last 18 holes with one ball, so my swing is coming around a lot better. The problem is still hitting off the heel of every club. Frustrating.

Also- side note we had what I call an illegal pin position. The pin was set on a side hill, of a recently cut and aerated green. All four of us hit putts that didn't stop until it was off the green. Two of us actually hit putts that went up and then came back to our feet. It was easily the worst pin position of the day, mostly because anything that didn't hit the hole would roll 20 plus feet. Just wondering ever play a green like that?

They put the pin on hole 1 during the club championship about 5 inches into the crown of a little knob on the back of the green, if you didn't hit the hole the ball would run some 15 feet away either side, I had a 10 foot birdie putt that I tried to just cozy up to 2 putt and I left myself a 15 foot par putt. They did the same on 6, there is a false front the pin was placed about 3 inches just above the false front, if you missed your putt on the low side it would roll some 25 feet off the front and you had to chip or make a long putt attempt at it, sometimes there are ridiculous pin placements that you just have to shake your head at.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Played 27 yesterday, in Michigan, on Dec. 13th, but golf was never so hard.

There was heavy fog for 3 holes, there it was thin, wet lies, flaring mid irons, chunked 3 shots in a row in front of a lake that ended up a "pentuple" bogey, then the short game was not stellar and even though I didn't know it, I fell in the hole.

Shot 45/41, then we goofed off with a 9 hole scramble. I tried to be thankful for the rare opportunity to golf in December, but I was shocked and humbled how hard the game of golf can be.

December golf in Michigan, nice, I remember occasions like that, but I'm finding that December golf in South Carolina is much better

KAD, did you re-locate to South Carolina?  Are you a Lions fan?

It was nice to play.  Some of the guys felt kinda of weird, guilty, I felt like we deserve this stuff, at least give us this one day a month.  El Nino came through this year but the polar vortex guy will get even.

In more week, the days start getting longer!!   

Would love to play golf in South Carolina in December, January, February, etc.  That is why I keep buying Lotto tickets.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

It was sunny, no wind and 50* so I went to my new course.  Thought I would just play nine and go home, but caught 3 guys on #3 so I joined them.  They are members so I might be having a regular game from now on.  

I had a very good ball striking day.  I made it to a long par 4 in two; hadn't done that before on that hole, but I had more 3-putts than all the rounds I've played since I joined the club!!  I felt like I putted OK except for speed and line.   :lol:    Two of the three guys were pretty decent players but the third guy really struggle hitting the ball.  He has been playing there for about 4 years and he reminds me of... me about 20 years ago, except he is my age.  Twenty years ago was when I said if I can't hit the ball straighter, I'm giving up this game.  I really felt for the guy. 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

KAD, did you re-locate to South Carolina? Are you a Lions fan?

It was nice to play. Some of the guys felt kinda of weird, guilty, I felt like we deserve this stuff, at least give us this one day a month. El Nino came through this year but the polar vortex guy will get even.

In more week, the days start getting longer!!

Would love to play golf in South Carolina in December, January, February, etc. That is why I keep buying Lotto tickets.

Yes, relocated by work 5 years ago now. The golf is great year round, I don't miss the winters up there for sure, I lived in the south west side of the state, grew up in the Benton Harbor area. Yes unfortunately I have been a Lions fan my entire life. We are like the Cubs Fans of football, there's always next year, or we have so much talent how can we not win.

I was embarrassed at several of our regular Tuesday-Friday group today.  We had 8 players today.  There was a light mist as we arrived at the club and it was forecast to continue for about an hour.  BUT, it was a constant 72/73 degrees and NO wind whatsoever.  Four of our guys decided not to play!  "Too unpleasant"  "I live in Florida, I don't need to play in this."

Egads, it turned out to be an almost perfect golf day, the mist stopped after 2 holes.  Never even used my towel.  I'm sure in January, they'll look back at this day as a wasted opportunity.  Their loss.

Round was disappointing.  Driver was hit or miss, almost literally.  Hit 7 "quality" drives, one average, but 6 poor to bad drives.  Four of the bad drives resulted in double bogeys.  Normally, I hit fewer quality drives, mostly average/good drives and maybe 1 to 3 bad drives a round.  A very all or nothing situation today.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Played horrible today. Shot an 81 but it was a whipping. 6 fwys, 6 grns, 35 putts. Ouch!! I hardly ever 3-putt but had three today. One birdie that I stiffed on a par three. It was bogie galore all day it seemed. Fairly breezy/windy conditions that wasn't really a big factor in my round. Just didn't strike that ball all that well. Bright side: I did manage to shake a few buck off the other guys in my foursome. Ha!

Today was probably the final round I'm able to record for the year. Me and some guys are going to play New Years Eve but I doubt I'll be able to get it into GHIN in time.

Looking forward to great golf in 2016. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to everyone.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Monster numbers this weekend! Drove the ball well. Made a lot of putts with my new Bellum Winmore 707. But totally screwed up my approach and chip shots. I did have a short spurt of good golf today with a string of pars on the back nine, 4 in a row, followed by two triples on 17 and 18. 98 yesterday and 91 today.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Shot a 92 yesterday. couldn't get it going fully, but thought I turned the corner with the driver. Last 3-4 holes I was hitting some bombs. Then today happened. I hit 2-3 good ones and the rest were mediocre or downright terrible. Irons are a mixed bag. Then 16 hit. A par 3 down hill 30-40 feet playing 170. I hit 7 iron the day before but the pin was another 15 foot back. I decided to go with a soft 6 instead of a hard seven. I shanked the first one, then pulled the next two. The last one I shanked right and had enough. Wooosh woosh woosh snap. Broke the 6 iron. I wasn't done yet. I got down to the green and didn't find a single ball. That mean the shaft had to take another beating. MY partner could only laugh. 2015 was my best year by far, but the last 2 months have been awful. I lost any siwing I had and the 6 iron was 2 months of frustration coming out.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Playing 2-3 times a month is simply not enough to even maintain. I love this game, but nothing is more frustrating than knowing where you can be, and then going out and playing to a level about 10 strokes worse than that.

On the upside, it is that time of year when most of the people around you are struggling too, so somehow, despite playing terrible, I still managed to break even on the weekend rounds :)

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Well, we had rain, snow freezing rain late last week.

Dec2015golf.jpg

On Saturday the ball rolled OK on the first 9 holes because the ice made the greens nice and smooth, but the second 9 was tough because of all the footprints that broke up the ice.

Yesterday, it warmed up to 45* and the sun came out in the late afternoon and the snow melted, so I thought It would be a decent day to play today.  Clouds rolled in again early this morning, and it started to rain about 8am, THEN the wind picked up and it's blowing 30-40mph with gusts to 60.  No golf today.

The good news is lots of snow in the mountains which we need.  Last month we were 2.5 inches below our annual rainfall norm.  If this keeps up through the end of the year, we might make our average of 7.13 inches.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Played horribly yesterday. Things have been hectic in December so it's only the second time touching a club. It's amazing how quickly I can lose my touch around the greens. Regardless, playing on December 21st with the ground not frozen is a bonus that I'm thankful for.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I played last week one day @ Irish Hills near Mount Vernon. Took my boys and we were in shirt sleeves for part of the round (only played 9). Didn't play well, but I figured any golf in shirt sleeves in an Ohio December is probably a sufficient enough gift. Maybe I'm too easily pleased :-) We're in NC for Christmas - anyone familiar with Red Fox Country Club (Columbus, NC)? It's scenic enough and looks like a nice course. I played 9 on it several years ago, but that's it. Used the range yesterday for an hour. From what I've gathered they might be hurting a bit. Clubhouse burned a few years ago (so I read online) and it doesn't sound like it's been the same since. Currently the course is for sale, if you know anyone looking for one, here's an opportunity! Hope to get out on the course and play it this week sometime.

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

Started slow but shot 78 with a 37 on the back. Pretty pleased with how I'm hitting it, not perfect but it's coming.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Shot an 87 yesterday at the 5500 yd Babe Zaharias course in Tampa.

I would have a nice string of pars going then shoot myself in the foot with a couple double bogeys.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Idont care what I shoot today..... its 85 degrees outside...... 

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

70° on Christmas Eve in Pennsylvania, I'm headed to the club.

Shot a 5-over 78 today. Irons are still suspect but I think they're coming around. Short game is really coming together and kept me in it today. Easily could have shot an 85 or worse the way I was striking the ball. Holed a bunker shot on #2 for a birdie and chipped in on #14 for another one.

Got a chance to play today at the last minute.  Great weather, no wind.  Great for me off the tee today, only two poor drives (poor because they found the water, they were actually not bad hits except for the line).  Hit only four good irons, two very good 4 irons and two very good PW's.  Everything between was yuck.  Putting and chipping was yuck until the last four holes.  A very disappointing 93 considering the driving.  9/14 fairways hit, 6 GIRs and only two pars.  Playing again tomorrow, we'll see.  

Well, I teed off from the Old Fart tees(Senior) today, shooting a 40/42:82 today. Had one birdie and missed three others by a hair. Overall, good play. The course definitely looks and plays different from the Senior Tees.

What a difference a day makes!  Played again today, 42/41 83 with a birdie and an eagle!  Chip in from 5 yds off the green on par 5 17th.  Had a 5 ft putt on 18 for birdie that I swear was in the cup before it somehow spun out, so I didn't get my 3-3 finish.  Could have been much better, didn't make a putt of any consequence all day, figure I left 3 to 6 strokes on the course 'cause of the uncooperative flat stick (4 three putts).  Nonetheless, 11 strokes better than yesterday.  Driver was awesome today again, good drives were 20-25 yds longer than where I was a couple of months ago, and a LOT more of them.  Over last few rounds, I've been hitting wedges through 8 irons versus 7s through 5s.  Not really taking advantage of the improved distance, but loving the opportunities.

I played yesterday, and I played bad! But... I played the day after Christmas in Ohio!

It was the worst round of the year. I shot 91. I can't remember the last time I pulled that off! I'm sure it will happen again, but I hope it's a long time coming...lol. It was a great day, despite turning cold and misting at the end. 

Shot a 42/44:86 today.....trying to adjust to the yardage difference between the white and senior tees. Put a 3UP ball in the lake on #13, . I am enjoying the play from the seniors as I have been really struggling lately. Now I have some birdie chances and really enjoy tap in pars.

Three rounds in a row in the 70's and 79,80,73,78,79 my last five. Guess which round was played in windless conditions. Not today's! By the time I get to 18 the sand was blowing across the green from the bunkers and the flag stick was waving. I had to work for my double.

Best golf moment of the day was walking into the Pro shop and having the Pro ask, weren't you thinking of trying a G30? I just had someone trade his in and it's barely used lets go hit a few on the range to see how it fits and tweek settings if need be. He's letting me try it for the rest of the week.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

No play today, but I did regrip my old Powerbilt AFO irons with Lamkins(Lime Green).

Gonna play them tomorrow at The Babe.