Testers Announced! Stix Golf Sets ×

Which driver?

Ken Takagi

I have been changing my drivers constantly to find the best match.

History is this few years back (it it longer) 

Maverick

TSI3

SIM2

STEALTH Plus

TSR3

STEALTH 2 Plus

Qi10 LS

I have selected more the athletic drivers but starting to feel forgiveness is more important and current considering in changing to Ping G430 10K max.

My shaft has been the same. Graphite Design Tour AD - DI5 S. Would like to get feedback whoever changed from Qi10LS to G430 10K max.

Ken Takagi

One thing to consider is spin and launch. The different heads have different weights, different cg locations, different faces. Forgiveness for the most past is moi which is there to reduce gear effect. With higher moi spin js typically going to be higher and we see that in the ping heads where even their lst model Is higher spinning than other lower spinning heads.

How the shaft feels with a head will play a role. I’ve had the ad di and it’s worked in some heads and not other. Had it in the m3 and hated it in m5/6.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Thank you for your advise.
I never really understood spin and launch etc where all that data comes out on the screen.

What are some of the points I need to look at when I am ie. testing different drivers - testing them.

I just really go with the feel... and that usually ends up not being right after a few rounds.

Ken,

Ken Takagi

2 hours ago, Ken Takagi said:

Thank you for your advise.
I never really understood spin and launch etc where all that data comes out on the screen.

What are some of the points I need to look at when I am ie. testing different drivers - testing them.

I just really go with the feel... and that usually ends up not being right after a few rounds.

Ken,

Club delivery plays a role in spin with dynamic loft delivered, path, face to path, and face angle. The lower on the face the more spin and less launch happens and vice versa for higher on the face.

from a head design perspective I have found the tm heads even the supposedly more forgiving head to be lower spinning than pin heads. Titleist seems to fall in between those two brands.

As to what to look at is face contact. Spray the face with foot powder spray or use impact tape(this will affect launch numbers if using a launch monitor) the foot spray not so much. You want to be middle of the face to about 5mm above center and 5mm towards the toe.

Feel is important because when things feel good there’s a chance we will produce better swings compared to something that feels bad or not as good. The ones that don’t feel good could cause for us to manipulate our swing to get the club to hit the shot we want.

Ball flight is key. Make sure the ball isn’t getting to its apex and then ballooning up this is too much spin. On the reverse side you don’t want a ball that flies low just drops out of the sky this is too little spin.

While self testing is fun a fitting with a reputable fitter would help you find the best combo

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

@Ken Takagi since the driver is generally a tougher club to hit, and given that you’ll have more variation in performance based on stock setups, I’d highly recommend a fitting where you can compare models and obtain real data. It’s always helpful when you can vary head and shaft combos. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

32 minutes ago, Hacker60521 said:

@Ken Takagi since the driver is generally a tougher club to hit, and given that you’ll have more variation in performance based on stock setups, I’d highly recommend a fitting where you can compare models and obtain real data. It’s always helpful when you can vary head and shaft combos. 

The same thing can be done at a pay superstore, 2ndswing, golf galaxy and so on. They have clubs to demo and one can swap between them.

What variation in performance will be seen with stock setups?