TESTERS ANNOUNCED: Graphite Design Tour AD Shafts ×

Price of a golf round

JCole

On 6/9/2024 at 11:45 PM, AverageSizedDog said:

I feel golf has gotten pretty expensive. I feel that golf has gotten popular, or least my algorithm has told me that. Because of the popularity of golf, course pros raise the prices because of demand. 

That's possibly, but I think that golf is expensive because of what it costs to maintain and manicure 150 acres this day and age.

In my area, we've had more courses close than open.  With the cost of housing in the Northeast, a non-member owned course is worth incredible money in house lots, and the owners take notice.  Although I belong to a modest little club, there was a green fee course in my area that I loved to play at least two or three times a year.  It was a very pretty executive length course that I could comfortably walk.  It's gone.

Golf began as an elite game in America, almost on a level with yacht racing and polo, at least here in the Northeast, and became widely available to the working class during the booming economic expansion of the 1950s.  That was Arnie's Army time, and people began playing in droves.  I'm not sure that that's still the case today. 

in flux

This one is definitely relative in my opinion.

Here in the Winston Salem, NC area, you can still find plenty of options <$70 per round range (with a fair number of $40-50 options).  I would consider that to be a reasonable value for the courses in the area that I have played at least.

That said, we just moved here from Orlando, FL and that place has exploded.  Good luck finding much of anything <$100 per round unless its twilight golf.  The Disney courses made the jump a few years back and it seems like everyone else followed suit.  Now, to be fair the courses are quite a few steps above what I have locally now, but over $100 to play 18 is a hard sell I think.

- Beale722

Winston Salem, NC

WITB:

• Cobra Radspeed XB 10.5*
  • Taylormade M3 3W & 5W
  • Taylormade Sim Max 4H
  • Taylormade Sim 2 Max 5-AW
  • Taylormade HiToe SW,LW
  • Taylormade Spider Tour

In some cases - absolutely. In other cases....sort of?

In Canada, some public courses (usually your lower-mid tier courses) sit around $40-$60 for 18. That's not including if you take a cart which is a standard $20 easily for a lot of the spots around here. Walking has really helped.

Some of the better spots can be $80ish at least with some getting to ~$100There is also the situation of location - in the sports where people cottage/vacation - alot of courses are similarly priced. 

COVID grew the game, but it also shrinked our wallets on the courses...in a way lol

"Larry, I'm gonna give us both twos back there. We weren't in any emotional state to putt."

Yes and no. You’re always going to expect to pay more for courses that are known to have professional tours come through and more than just concessions and a beer cart. I never make a teatime with any course directly. I use the golf now discount app I end up getting around for what I would like to pay at one of the more expensive courses. it works out 🙂 also, there are hidden gems everywhere. There’s a small course in Gettysburg off White Church Road and some people poopoo it—

Thing is it’s 18 holes. It has a tremendous amount of difference in elevation all throughout the course. The greens are without a doubt, absolutely loved by someone; they are spongy and beautiful and roll naturally.
There’s no clubhouse-no 19th hole….there’s no beer cart. You can bring beverages on the course. 

On any given day, nine holes with the cart and clubs if you just happen to forget them, it’s $13. 
Middle of the summer primetime after 5 - 9 holes w cart $8 

You cannot get better than this and the courses well loved and really excellent to play on especially at these prices. 

I have no patience.  The ONE exception is golf; I have all the patience in the world when practicing or playing. 
picked up clubs about a year and a half ago - play or practice daily (even in the rain) 7 hcp  40-something 🙄

Where I play, the single membership is between $210 and $220 a month (I don't have the statement in front of me).  I am retired and play a lot, so that is a good deal for me.  Having said that, over $200 a month is a lot of money for most people in our country.  And pay as you go golf costs in my area are in the range of $50 to $70 per round.  Again, that is a lot of money for most people.  Golf remains an expensive hobby.  I wish it was cheaper so that more could enjoy the game, but it just isn't, especially given the expectations of players concerning the maintenance of the course.  It costs a lot of money to keep a golf course in the shape players' want.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Hindsy1987 said:

Definitely as a kid it was $5 in green fees at my most recent club "Margaret river" its over $40 for 9 holes.... this doesn't change even when coring 

i agree that courses should reduce the fee after aeration.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.