Ready Golf - The New Norm?

14 hours ago, Sanjeev Thakur said:

Ready golf is a great thing for non-tournament games. A lot of time is lost in looking at the ball till it lands even though your playing partner is spotting the ball for you. Many a time marking the ball is not essential on the green too or a quick mark and clean the ball process suffices. Another delay is when iron covers are used

I don’t agree with this assessment. Full disclosure, I am a scratch golfer that plays tournaments, money games and casual. Ready golf and the basics behind it can apply all the time. Caveat in match play when the player away must play first. However, you can still be ready and not be slow. Second, we play here with a lot of older players. Their eye sight is not as good anymore. Spotting the ball for them is appreciated and saves us time. Marking the ball doesn’t make the group slow. It’s not being ready to go when it’s your turn. Lastly, I have iron covers and I can play 18 in 2 hours when the pace of play allows. I am a fast player. I have a set pre-shot and when I step in I execute the shot. Putting on an iron cover while someone else is hitting or walking with the club in your hand and replacing it doesn’t slow play. The key is being efficient, ready and moving. 

Play like a champion today!

1 hour ago, Javs said:

I don’t agree with this assessment. Full disclosure, I am a scratch golfer that plays tournaments, money games and casual. Ready golf and the basics behind it can apply all the time. Caveat in match play when the player away must play first. However, you can still be ready and not be slow. Second, we play here with a lot of older players. Their eye sight is not as good anymore. Spotting the ball for them is appreciated and saves us time. Marking the ball doesn’t make the group slow. It’s not being ready to go when it’s your turn. Lastly, I have iron covers and I can play 18 in 2 hours when the pace of play allows. I am a fast player. I have a set pre-shot and when I step in I execute the shot. Putting on an iron cover while someone else is hitting or walking with the club in your hand and replacing it doesn’t slow play. The key is being efficient, ready and moving. 

May I ask a question?  Please don't regard it as trivial or negative,  I simply am curious.   When you are playing your pace, and it's a full course that day, what do you do when you are stuck between groups, but they are keeping up with course pace (2 ish hours per 9)  Obviously you can't play through, so how do you cope with that " slow pace" compared to yours?

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

40 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

May I ask a question?  Please don't regard it as trivial or negative,  I simply am curious.   When you are playing your pace, and it's a full course that day, what do you do when you are stuck between groups, but they are keeping up with course pace (2 ish hours per 9)  Obviously you can't play through, so how do you cope with that " slow pace" compared to yours?

Great question. If we are out first not an issue; however, we often have morning and afternoon shotgun starts. So, in those cases we are at the mercy of the pace of those in front. On those occasions, I will actually spend more time talking with my fellow players in my group. I still do all the normal things when we are ready to go. However, when you are stuck and they are playing within the 4 to 4:15 range then it’s hard to get mad. I usually will hit last. That is for two reasons. The first being that I am very fast. The second being because I have good length and I have to wait on drives and for my second shot on par 5’s. We will let the shorter hitters play first. BS a little and then take our turn. Hope that answered your question! 

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

For me, if everyone's keeping up with the group ahead and there is a backup at the par 3s then there's nothing that can really be done. If a group is playing exceptionally slow, I might ask to play through or even be willing to skip a hole to get ahead.

I am always paranoid about the group behind me and always try to keep up pace. But sometimes it's outside your control. My last 2 full 18s have been 5 hours and it's frustrating. I'd like to play at a 3:45-4:00 pace but it doesn't always work out.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

5 hours ago, Rob Person said:

There’s not a great deal you can do about it and it’s just one of those things. I play quite fast and regularly complete 18 in 2 and half hours if no one ahead. You just need to learn how to deal with the slower pace of play and try not to let it frustrate or distract you. I find that I try to walk slower between shots when it’s like this so I am not stood waiting to play a shot or use the time to clean my clubs so I don’t feel as though I’m waiting and am doing something

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg King Tec 3 hybrid

Irons: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg Forged Tec 4-PW + GW

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws 56

IMG_5733.jpeg.1e4058deebcd18f2f88ac5dcaa6c8149.jpegSM9 52

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

For me and the guys I play with, ready golf is the norm.  It really did not take much to get used to it, and I cannot see any reason to going back.

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       TSR1
  • Fairway.      635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Halo XL Hy-Wood 4+
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                Epic Flash 3H
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         CBX2 - 54 degree, CBX Zipcore 52 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg       Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png        Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

With all the emphasis on speed, I'm amazed this hasn't become more popular.  But then courses would need to incorporate "speed golf" rounds into tee sheets.  Lots of increased revenue potential.  This is the epitome of ready golf.... anyone ever done this?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

9 hours ago, Rob Person said:

I relax and shoot the breeze with my playing partners.
I will admit that few are as patient as I when it come to delays,
but they honestly just don't bother me that much.

Often, we make jokes about the people in front of us,
even more so if we know them.

If it's women slowing things up, 
their anatomical features will likely get discussed
as if we were a group of fifteen-year-olds instead of geriatrics.

Also, as a weekday only player, I rarely see it get that bad at our club.

9 hours ago, Rob Person said:

It is very frustrating being held not by the group immediately in front of me but the group or groups, maybe several holes ahead, that is the "back up" group.  It helps a little if the Ranger, AKA Customer Relations representative, comes by to tell us how far ahead the backup starts. At least then, we have an idea of when pace may pick up again.

Sadly, slow play is a part of golf for as long as I've been playing. I'm 74, started playing at 36, and I've been fortunate to live in areas where there are many courses to play. If one is consistently slow, 2 3 4 rounds on various days of the week, I just won't go back.

48 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

With all the emphasis on speed, I'm amazed this hasn't become more popular.  But then courses would need to incorporate "speed golf" rounds into tee sheets.  Lots of increased revenue potential.  This is the epitome of ready golf.... anyone ever done this?

In my M-W-F group, we (4 ball) have the 1st tee time.  We complete the 1st 9 in 1:00 - 1:15 hours. (Course is 9 holes) At the turn, sometimes we get ahead of the 8:15 group, we will finish by 10:30 or sooner.  If we do not arrive before the 8:15 tee time, we finish at 10:45 - 11:00.  Sometimes the starter will send us back to play 7, 8 typically, or 9 again, which allows us to finish a bit sooner.  NOTE: The other 3 groups in our league are typically that far behind us.  

The "speed rounds" probably have to be the 1st off the 1st tee and no 10th tee starts.  At many courses I play, the 10th tee starts are for early 9-hole groups - finish the 1st 9 "too fast" and you wait your turn. 

14 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Thanks for the answers.  The reason I asked it is two fold.

First being, as a Marshall, I see it alot where the speed golfers will get pushed in-between groups playing at pace, just not their pace! I handle a number of complaints from both sides of it and wanted some insight.  Not everyone is as polite in life as they are in these responses though, nor as understanding.

Secondly,  quite a few here mentioned prior to this question how frustrated they become playing  behind slow players.  How do you know they aren't maintaining an appropriate pace unless you are timing them, or get cart message warnings about PoP?  

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I do most weekday mornings. I started a little after 7 today and still finished just after 9.  I wasn't rushing but no one in front and a single on a cart. 

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

Secondly,  quite a few here mentioned prior to this question how frustrated they become playing  behind slow players.  How do you know they aren't maintaining an appropriate pace unless you are timing them, or get cart message warnings about PoP?  

It's not necessarily about the group in front of you on busy days. It could be 4 holes up and you are having multiple groups meet at the tee box.  Slow play sometimes is determined by gaps between groups and a number of other things. 

Easy math is 4 hr round breaks down to roughly 13 min from tee to tee.  

I know I play quick and on busy days, I will play a second ball or practice chipping in order not to make the group ahead feel rushed if it's just backed up. Communication with the marshals also helps

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

46 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I know I play quick and on busy days, I will play a second ball or practice chipping in order not to make the group ahead feel rushed if it's just backed up. 

Great idea, but don't do this if playing a handicap round or tournament!

-XY

:redrooster: Sussex and Rain Rooster
:titleist-small: ProV1X
:taylormade-small: QI10 LS
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3-wood
:taylormade-small: 4H Stealth 2, stiff
:ping-small: i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
:vokey-small: SM10 52, 56, 60
:L.A.B.: DF3 Broomstick
:ping-small: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
MGI electric cart

1 hour ago, GolferXY said:

Great idea, but don't do this if playing a handicap round or tournament!

Well of course 

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

4 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

I do most weekday mornings. I started a little after 7 today and still finished just after 9.  I wasn't rushing but no one in front and a single on a cart. 

I had many a rounds like that in Montana.  Often solo, I played two balls, and was still able to complete most rounds in under 3 hours.  I can also do that here from now, from noon on, until early November when the snowbirds start returning.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

5 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Well of course 

Comment wasn't really pointed at you but to those who are new to handicap and tournament play.😉

-XY

MGI electric cart

On 5/14/2024 at 6:58 PM, Javs said:

How have you been able to not feel rushed, while trying to be ready for your turn on the green? 

1. Driver Ping G5
  2. 3 Wood Ping G5
  3. 22 degree hybrid Ping G5
  4. Irons Ping G5 4-SW
  5. Putter Ping Anser 2
  6. Ball, anything that finds water

22 minutes ago, AverageSizedDog said:

How have you been able to not feel rushed, while trying to be ready for your turn on the green? 

Another great question. Yes, often people will feel rushed when it’s their turn. Additionally, in tournament play I used to find myself being extra fast to make up for the slow guy or guys in our group. I have learned to play my game. In a post last year, I posted that I start my pre shot routine when I put my glove on. From that point forward I do the normal things to visualize the shot, pull my club, get a feel for it, then step in mind clear and execute. Never worry about the result trust your process. Accept what happened and move on. I between shots rest and occupy yourself with something else. Discipline is the key to your routine. Knowing I am fast allows me to execute my routine without worry. Hope that answered your question. 

To quote Joe Bishop from Columbus Day:

"My alter-ego is No Patience Man!"

As much as I appreciate the desire for some to take time to smell the roses during a round, please remember that you aren't the only one on the course, and consider the effect of your pace of play on those who share the course with you. If you aren't able to show some consideration for other golfers, perhaps a walk in the park would be a possible remedy for wanting to go at your own pace and damn anyone else.

-XY

MGI electric cart

On 5/15/2024 at 8:51 PM, AverageSizedDog said:

As a younger man I would hustle to the ball and then take As much time as needed to properly execute my shot. Not being able to hustle to the ball these days, I try to steal time by prepping while others are hitting and honestly I often hurry my shot. My fault, I can't hang with the young guys mentally any more. Age affects more than the physical limitations imparted by injury, aches and pains. However, if either of these works for you it may help to alleviate the rushed feeling you get when someone behind you is waiting on you to hit.

-XY

MGI electric cart

Posted (edited)

Perhaps this has been discussed and I missed it, but, I usually approach people I'm paired with on the first tee box by introducing myself and saying, "I usually good with ready golf, so please don't wait for me if you get to your ball first, but please communicate it when you're up." 

This always goes over well. 

Example: if I'm on the green approaching my tee shot but someone is further away but not yet at their ball, I may say, "I'm ready, Okay?" (or something like that) 

Just be curteous, be smart and move along! 

Edited by TriciaPug

I'm a skier, ski bootfitter, ski reviewer and forum owner for SkiTalk.com

WITB: Cobra

Driver Aerojet Max set at 13.5

AirX  3W, 5W, 7W, 4H, 5H, 7H,

Irons, 7, 8, 9, PW, GW, SW

King Cobra 3D Printed Putter with modified shaft

48 minutes ago, TriciaPug said:

Perhaps this has been discussed and I missed it, but, I usually approach people I'm paired with on the first tee box by introducing myself and saying, "I usually good with ready golf, so please don't wait for me if you get to your ball first, but please communicate it when you're up." 

This always goes over well. 

Example: if I'm on the green approaching my tee shot but someone is further away but not yet at their ball, I may say, "I'm ready, Okay?" (or something like that) 

Just be curious, be smart and move along! 

Communication is always key with ready golf. 

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

Posted (edited)

I played Saturday. My brother and I had no one behind us and a twosome in front that moved along just fine. I still grabbed a couple of clubs and walked to my ball while he drove to his. After I hit my shot, I walked to the green and waited until he got there to put my clubs away and grab the putter. This s*** aint rocket science. We finished the round in 3 hrs. 15 minutes.

Now, this was a special day where we had decent players in front of us and no one behind us on the front and back. I wish it could always be like that, but................. I guess the point is, we still played ready golf and did nothing different with no one behind us.

edit: I want to add.... when you can actually play golf without having to wait on the group ahead of you, things go much faster. I think the biggest reason for slow play is slow people (inexperienced players) in front of you. Add two more inexperienced groups ahead of them and there is no way you are getting done in under 4 hrs.

Edited by silver & black

I understand the attraction of ready golf,
but for seniors, playing in proper rotation
means more eyes on every shot,
and for us, that can actually save time.

It's also more in line with golf tradition,
but that's not the main thing.

The main thing is that our gang leaves the weekends
to the young people who work during the week,
and on the weekdays, we play in the way that works for us.

1 hour ago, silver & black said:

I played Saturday. My brother and I had no one behind us and a twosome in front that moved along just fine. I still grabbed a couple of clubs and walked to my ball while he drove to his. After I hit my shot, I walked to the green and waited until he got there to put my clubs away and grab the putter. This s*** aint rocket science. We finished the round in 3 hrs. 15 minutes.

Now, this was a special day where we had decent players in front of us and no one behind us on the front and back. I wish it could always be like that, but................. I guess the point is, we still played ready golf and did nothing different with no one behind us.

edit: I want to add.... when you can actually play golf without having to wait on the group ahead of you, things go much faster. I think the biggest reason for slow play is slow people (inexperienced players) in front of you. Add two more inexperienced groups ahead of them and there is no way you are getting done in under 4 hrs.

I do agree slower players need to let ppl play around but it isn't just newer guys..we had 4 kids (late teens) ahead of us who u would swear was trying out for the PGA tour..read a green for 5 min..bent down, stood up, walked the line, talked about it, backed back up, looked some more, talked about it again, lined up, backed off, lined back up and pushed the putt right 6 foot left on a 12 ft putt slight left to right

:PXG:Bubba Ivy 

We typically play ready golf but let everyone know you’re about to hit cause we’ve had accidents with errored shots or whatever. Also with spacing time between groups dropping with how many people are getting on the course. We played a few weeks back and the spacing between times was 8 mins cause there was a 45 min fog delay in the morning so by the time we played at 1 we didn’t actually tee off till almost 2 and groups were backing up everywhere. We had a group of very nice ladies playing behind us but playing off the reds and cause of course layout we found ourselves hitting balls over them just cause of blind tees and things were getting a little dangerous. 

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

48 minutes ago, PrismFlopper said:

We typically play ready golf but let everyone know you’re about to hit cause we’ve had accidents with errored shots or whatever. Also with spacing time between groups dropping with how many people are getting on the course. We played a few weeks back and the spacing between times was 8 mins cause there was a 45 min fog delay in the morning so by the time we played at 1 we didn’t actually tee off till almost 2 and groups were backing up everywhere. We had a group of very nice ladies playing behind us but playing off the reds and cause of course layout we found ourselves hitting balls over them just cause of blind tees and things were getting a little dangerous. 

agree that courses are overbooking tee times causing a lot of the backup issues.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...

We always play ready golf.  It speeds things up and the better players don't get so frustrated.  

If we truly wanted to speed up play.  Encourage those who are going to hit the ball off into the woods every time not to spend 5 minutes trying to decide what to do.  You do not need to plumb bob each of your 4 putts on the green, just hit the stupid ball.  We are not professionals, and we usually have people waiting on us.

Further, quit playing by committee.  Everybody in the foursome doesn't need to give input to each shot one another plays.  Then they move ten feet and do it again.  Can't you make your own decision?  Why can't cart riders walk 10 yards to their own ball, while waiting for someone else to hit? Amateurs who can't break 80 on a regular basis should not be playing for money...it is kinda sad. It slows the game down.  You do not need to stay on the green for 5 minutes discussing the "great shot" someone hit while people are waiting in the fairway.  If no one is around, have at it, otherwise move along.  We are all thankful you are so talented, but get out of the way.  

I am a fast player, when the pace allows.  Love to move.  Have even been known to run between shots.  I am 65 and can still walk faster than the cart crowd seems to be able to move.  That said, I can play slow and not lose my s*&% if necessary, but it would be nice for people to be cognizant of the people around them and act accordingly.  When we were terrible, we let everyone play through....even kids and ladies.  Don't be proud. 

Cobra LTDx one-length 6-SW

Cobra Aerojet 2,3,4,5 Hybrids--85g stiff shafts

Cobra F8 10.5* Driver 

Cleveland CBX 58* Wedge

Bettinardi Mercedes-Benz putter

Dedicated Walker

The problem with ready golf is that seniors like all the eyes in the foursome on the shot so that somebody is likely to see where it went.

Younger players don't seen to understand this.
As it is, my friends and I play weekdays and leave the weekends to the people who are still working for a living. [I had a good week this past week!]

I believe in playing briskly and being considerate of everybody on the course.  I just don't like playing out of conventional order.

1 hour ago, alii1959 said:

Amateurs who can't break 80 on a regular basis should not be playing for money...it is kinda sad. It slows the game down.  

Disagree. I’ve played for money or some kind of bet as a 90s plus golfer and other similar golfers in the group and it didn’t slow things down. Slower golfers slow things down and some of those who are gambling become even slower than they normally play.