Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

LAB DF3 - the honeymoon is over

When I was reviewing the DF2.1, I showed it to anyone who was interested. And I believe I was directly responsible for at least 5 LAB putters being purchased (2-2.1s, 2-3.0s and a Mezzo). What is interesting is that the issues voiced here were also echoed by a few of those guys who purchased theirs after seeing mine.

Case in point ... I loaned my 2.1 to a friend who used it for a round and came back raving about how much better he played with it. However, he didn't want to buy online opting instead to pick up a stock model at the PGA store. Which I believe was a mistake. In any case, he played it 3 months and was thoroughly dissatisfied with it, saying the same thing mentioned here, that he ultimately did not like feel plus he was leaving them short. He reached out to me for a copy of my putter specs, and he then bought a matching 2.1 directly from LAB ... which he loves. Needless to say the 3.0 has been relegated to the club bin in his garage.

I do wish to add a bit of my own personal experience: Last season the first 6 months I used the 2.1 I loved it, then I went into a slump and blasted everything pas the hole. I tried 4 of my old putters (Ping, Wilson blade, a wooden mallet, & Spyder) only to come back to the 2.1 because of the feel. I work in a proshop and the putting green is right out the front door, so when it's slow, I putt and chip. Experimenting with the 2.1, I discovered that if I loosened my grip, I stopped over putting. So this season, I've gone from several frustrating 3 putts per round, to only an occasional 3 putt per week. There are days I can't miss, and when I do have a 20-25+ lag, I'm leaving then within a foot. And now, the 6 footers I had regularly blasted 6 feet past the hole, are either dropping or 1-2 inch misses.

I had posted that you would have to pry my 2.1 out of my cold, dead hands. And I believe that. But I have also posted that I suffer from "Next Club" disease. "I wonder if that club over there might be better than what I'm currently using." And I can't help but wonder, what it would be like to use the LAB Mezzo. If someone invents a Golf Lobotomy please let me know. I desperately want to STOP the "kill" instinct at the top of my swing and to STOP wanting the next new club!!!!!

PS: The guy who purchased a copy of my putter was told by LAB that it would be a month before they could fill his order. He called LAB and informed them that he had a golf vacation in 2 weeks, and they shipped his order the next day.

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

8 minutes ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

When I was reviewing the DF2.1, I showed it to anyone who was interested. And I believe I was directly responsible for at least 5 LAB putters being purchased (2-2.1s, 2-3.0s and a Mezzo). What is interesting is that the issues voiced here were also echoed by a few of those guys who purchased theirs after seeing mine.

Case in point ... I loaned my 2.1 to a friend who used it for a round and came back raving about how much better he played with it. However, he didn't want to buy online opting instead to pick up a stock model at the PGA store. Which I believe was a mistake. In any case, he played it 3 months and was thoroughly dissatisfied with it, saying the same thing mentioned here, that he ultimately did not like feel plus he was leaving them short. He reached out to me for a copy of my putter specs, and he then bought a matching 2.1 directly from LAB ... which he loves. Needless to say the 3.0 has been relegated to the club bin in his garage.

I do wish to add a bit of my own personal experience: Last season the first 6 months I used the 2.1 I loved it, then I went into a slump and blasted everything pas the hole. I tried 4 of my old putters (Ping, Wilson blade, a wooden mallet, & Spyder) only to come back to the 2.1 because of the feel. I work in a proshop and the putting green is right out the front door, so when it's slow, I putt and chip. Experimenting with the 2.1, I discovered that if I loosened my grip, I stopped over putting. So this season, I've gone from several frustrating 3 putts per round, to only an occasional 3 putt per week. There are days I can't miss, and when I do have a 20-25+ lag, I'm leaving then within a foot. And now, the 6 footers I had regularly blasted 6 feet past the hole, are either dropping or 1-2 inch misses.

I had posted that you would have to pry my 2.1 out of my cold, dead hands. And I believe that. But I have also posted that I suffer from "Next Club" disease. "I wonder if that club over there might be better than what I'm currently using." And I can't help but wonder, what it would be like to use the LAB Mezzo. If someone invents a Golf Lobotomy please let me know. I desperately want to STOP the "kill" instinct at the top of my swing and to STOP wanting the next new club!!!!!

PS: The guy who purchased a copy of my putter was told by LAB that it would be a month before they could fill his order. He called LAB and informed them that he had a golf vacation in 2 weeks, and they shipped his order the next day.

I was properly fitted - in person and through their online service.  It got off to a good start, but I couldn't get used to the changes it requires the user to make to their swing.  It doesn't suit everyone otherwise everyone would be using one. 

Driver: Ping G430LST, Kaili White S

3 Wood: Ping G430Max, Alta Stiff

3H: Callaway Paradym, Tour AD-DI 8S

4&5H: Callaway Apex Pro, Tour AD-DI 8S

6-PW: Taylormade P770 ('23 model), KBS Tour Lite S

50/54/60: Vokey SM9, KBS Tour Lite S 

Putter: Toulon Atlanta with KBS OneStep shaft

Ball: ProV1x (or Wilson Staff Model X)

21 minutes ago, Braehead said:

I was properly fitted - in person and through their online service.  It got off to a good start, but I couldn't get used to the changes it requires the user to make to their swing.  It doesn't suit everyone otherwise everyone would be using one. 

I would never mean to imply this is the end-all in putters. Putters are like cars, lovers, & pizza … go with whatever works for you. 

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

I am not (yet) a LAB guy,  I am a BIG proponent of cross handed, and I also GRIP TIGHTER on the short putts to make sure I don't twist the putter.  Don't tighten grip on the long ones. 

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

39 minutes ago, Braehead said:

How long did you give it? I got off to an awful start with the DF3, but hung with it and after about 5 weeks I started putting much better with it and my confidence returned. I have had many great putting rounds, and no bad ones in over a month.  

I inadvertently put my Evnroll ER5B in the bag for a round a couple weeks ago - it felt awful and I couldn't make a putt to save my life. I had loved playing Evnroll putters exclusively for over 5 years prior to the DF3. As many have said, it takes some guidance and quite a while to get used to a LAB putter versus any conventional (toe hang) putter - but it was definitely worth it IME. But like any putter, it will work for some, not others. I suspect no one will take to a LAB putter immediately, they're just too different.

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

47 minutes ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

It's worse if you are a home music hi-end stereo system person.  It's called "audiophilia nervosa".  The reviewer of the $10,000 speakers or amp I bought last year, just reviewed a new $9,000 competitor and said that God reached down from the heavens etc. etc. etc.   My cure is to remind myself that I'm Jewish and I like seeing my money in my bank account, not hoping to recoup some on ebay.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

11 minutes ago, Middler said:

How long did you give it? I got off to an awful start with the DF3, but hung with it and after about 5 weeks I started putting much better with it and my confidence returned. I have had many great putting rounds, and no bad ones in over a month.  

I inadvertently put my Evnroll ER5B in the bag for a round a couple weeks ago - it felt awful and I couldn't make a putt to save my life. I had loved playing Evnroll putters exclusively for over 5 years prior to the DF3. As many have said, it takes some guidance and quite a while to get used to a LAB putter versus any conventional (toe hang) putter - but it was definitely worth it IME. But like any putter, it will work for some, not others. I suspect no one will take to a LAB putter immediately, they're just too different.

It's all detailed in the first post - 22 rounds plus several detailed practice sessions.  Fully backed up with putting data from Tangent.  

My SGP is +0.3 relative to scratch for the 35 rounds I've played since I sold the DF3.  Again all backed up with objective data.  

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like PXG intro their version of a zero torque putter, they call it Allan.  $450.  Looks like a modern mallet design.  With an S shape hosel that puts hands in a forward press position.  I expect the other brands will follow (as soon as they can invent one without copying a patented one.)  I will take a gander at it if the San Diego store has it in stock later this week.  

7 minutes ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

It looks like PXG intro their version of a zero torque putter, they call it Allan.  $450.  Looks like a modern mallet design.  With an S shape hosel that puts hands in a forward press position.  I expect the other brands will follow (as soon as they can invent one without copying a patented one.)  I will take a gander at it if the San Diego store has it in stock later this week.  

The PXG Allan is actually at least the third putter that has been introduced with an alleged "zero torque" design.  Performance Golf has been selling their SQ putter for about a year -- https://www.performancegolf.com/sq-putter/google-search/shopping-sc?g_acctid=458-668-7298&g_adgroupid=164580770596&g_adid=705361380439&g_adtype=search&g_campaign=PG+|+SQP+|+Search+|+All+Dev+|+FMU18%2B+|+US&g_campaignid=21461055757&g_keyword=best golf putter&g_keywordid=kwd-41534693&g_network=g&g_type=search_display&gc_id=21461055757&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz7C2BhDkARIsAA_SZKblkifjCjh0fcquRbWGZRYXiLzDBe0i4QI1PWaWA5kw9e3HUXTuLWYaAhXrEALw_wcB&h_ad_id=705361380439&sxid={adid}&utm_campaign=pg-sqp&utm_content=705361380439&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=search&utm_term=21461055757&gad_source=1

In addition, there was a putter that Justin Rose was using (I forget the name) that supposedly had this feature.

DR - Titleist TSi1 (with additional sole weight), Ventus TR Blue 5R (tipped 1/2”)

4W - Titleist TSR2, Miyazaki Kusala Mizu 7S

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Tour Edge Exotics C722, XCaliber 95-R graphite (hard-stepped)

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll Ev8

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

1 minute ago, funkyjudge said:

JR used the Axis 1 (I think it was) but it's interesting to see he's now using a new Scotty Phantom.  Aaron Rai had been using the same Axis putter for a while and had also moved, first to a Scotty mallet and now to a TM mallet.  Maybe a lack of torque isn't for everyone.....

7 hours ago, Braehead said:

JR used the Axis 1 (I think it was) but it's interesting to see he's now using a new Scotty Phantom. 

yes,  it was the Axis 1 Rose model.    There are a few players using different  models of Axis 1.  For example Tyler Duncan and it has been reported that Fleetwood has been testing a new one off design. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Sorry to hear that it is not working out for you! I have the Mezz and thoroughly enjoy playing with it. Hopefully you can get the putting going again as I know the cost of these putters is significant. 

Driver: image.png.0460b0562110773c713b4c28d906f6b7.png AI Smoke Max, 10.5°, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 55 Graphite

Irons:image.png.0460b0562110773c713b4c28d906f6b7.png AI Smoke Irons

PW: image.png.0460b0562110773c713b4c28d906f6b7.png AI Smoke

SW: Wilson Tour TC2 55°

Putter: image.png.e939fc84f4a8abfaa093ecca9f517339.png MEZZ.1 Custom, Heavier 34", Press Pistol 2°