DTC or Used.

jaayjay11

I’m looking to upgrade my old Nike CCI forged irons. Are these DTC specifically Takomo worth it. Or am I better off getting a used set of irons from somewhere. I just don’t like not being able to try the clubs. I also don’t have a bunch of money to spend on a new set of performance irons from a Titleist, Callaway, or Taylormade. 

TIA 

Driver: Taylormade Tour Burner 9.5*

3 Wood: Callaway Diablo

Irons: 3-PW Nike CCI Forged

Wedges: Clevland CG15 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Ice #9

if you read the Takomo forum review thread you will get testers opinions on the clubs, but in general they like the clubs and are worth it.   Some DTC offer demo programs to allow you to try the clubs.  If you go used,  you might have the ability to try the clubs but no guarantee you will find the best setup in a store.   

if you are trying the clubs I am also assuming you have some basic fitting knowledge or will leverage some type of fitter to determine if the clubs are a good fit.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

So many great DTC brands these days and many offer demo clubs. Make sure to check out all the member test done on here.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Tons of great DTC options out there, and I would argue another benefit aside from cost savings is that you can get them built to your specs if you don't just play standard L/L/L. For me, the used market is extremely limited as I play my irons +1" and 3 degrees upright. So if I go used, I would be looking at most likely re-shafting, re-gripping, etc.

Driver: :cobra-small: DARKSPEED X 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X 

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Cobra Darkspeed X Driver Unofficial Review (link here)

I had never considered the DTC brands before, but all of the reviews have been very positive and seems like there is some good stuff there!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Seeing as you are a 10 hcp, I would suggest comparing your current set loft and lie numbers, shafts, etc against whats out there in person first. Find a place to demo club(s) that works well for you, get some numbers off that demo session. Compare that to yours, and then you can research those that fit your criteria.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I've never considered DTC clubs until joining MGS! 
Reading opinions & reviews and the education by MGS confirming the legitimacy of the DTC companies, absolutely changed my mind.  Sub70, Takomo, Maltby & I'd even consider Ben Hogan clubs. ⛳

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

8 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

Sub70 has a great demo program, where they'll send you a 6 & 9 iron of the model you're interested in. They charge $120 up front, but when you return them they refund you $100. So for $20, you get 2 clubs to test out for a couple of weeks. If you call them directly, they may even allow you to test out 2 models at once for the same price (they did that for me a couple years ago). But no promises since it's been a while since I did the program.

New Level has a demo program. Haywood has a demo program. Takomo doesn't to my knowledge.

The Haywood CB/MB's just completed a forum test and last season the Takomo irons were tested. Worth checking out the two forum review threads to get some more detail.

I haven't really gotten along with my Takomo 101's, but did enjoy the Sub70 639CB's.

The DTC's aren't the giant question mark the used to be. Sub70, Takomo, Haywood, and New Level are all quality products. Sub70 has the most options and most customization, but they are all good clubs.

DTC offers some great options.  I agree with many on this thread. Testing is important and if you demo or use / borrow another persons DTCs that have a swing similar to yours may be a great option.

i remain a very satisfied Takomo 101T tester and gamer.  I can say that these clubs have been great for my game.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x (MGS Tester ‘24) / GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  5 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current MCC Plus 4 Sensor / Club Sensor User

I like the idea of DTC clubs, honestly I am really looking forward to the Vice irons but equally I want to see how well they perform compared to the seasoned manufacturers. I can look up reviews of clubs from at least twenty years ago and see how people like them and comparatively how they perform. I also like used because I feel, I can find a cheaper option rather than brand new. 

1. Driver Ping G5
  2. 3 Wood Ping G5
  3. 22 degree hybrid Ping G5
  4. Irons Ping G5 4-SW
  5. Putter Ping Anser 2
  6. Ball, anything that finds water

8 hours ago, AverageSizedDog said:

I like the idea of DTC clubs, honestly I am really looking forward to the Vice irons but equally I want to see how well they perform compared to the seasoned manufacturers. I can look up reviews of clubs from at least twenty years ago and see how people like them and comparatively how they perform. I also like used because I feel, I can find a cheaper option rather than brand new. 

Pretty good start with reviews for these clubs. Granted, he's a way faster swing speed than me, it's the first review I've actually seen so far.
He also did reviews on the wedges and putters.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver, 11.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter: Maltby Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

My Sub 70 experience has been excellent. From the quality of the clubs to  their service. 

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

I can't say enough about the stix clubs I'm using.   With steel and graphite options,  the Perform series is really good!  

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I can't tell you how many times I purchased used clubs.  With the exception of the Callaway Paradym X irons (which I got for a MyGolfSpy review) and my Ping G425 Max driver (a warrantee replacement for a used Ping driver), every one of my current clubs were used before I got them.  

The one downside I've found is that often I had to settle for something when I purchased used.  Maybe the shaft wasn't the exact one I wanted or needed.  Maybe the loft and/or lies weren't perfect for me.  Or the grips all were the wrong size or needed to be changed.  Very rarely did I find the perfect club I was looking for.  So, compromise came into play!  Also, depending on the source, there's always concerns about counterfeits.  

With DTC clubs, you can specify exactly what you want, have them made personally for you and delivered at a very competitive price.  No compromise.  Plus, they are guaranteed.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

The best thing you can do is get fitted. Then you will at least know what shaft and lie angle is best for your game. There probably will be DTC sets similar to what worked for you. The worst feeling is getting excited for a newly purchased set, and finding out on the course that they're wrong for your game. 

IG: @albatrossleather  

https://www.Albatross-Leather.com

Current WITB

Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport Champions Choice

58° - Vokey SM9 Raw  /  54° - Vokey SM8 Raw  /  50° - Vokey SM8 Raw

PW-4i - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro ~ KBS Tour 120

Hybrid - Cobra Dark Speed 3H 19° ~ Hazardous Smoke Black S

Hybrid - King Cobra 2H 17° ~ Hazardous Smoke Black S

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9° ~ Graphite Design Tour AD HD 70g S

On deck - (3W - PXG 0341X Gen4 ~ MCA Diamana S+ 70G)(2i Mizuno Fly-Hi ~ Graphite Design Tour AD DI S)