5 Wood or Hybrid, which do you prefer?

5 Wood

With my hybrid, little draw adds 10 yards; a little fade drops 10 yards short. Then there's the wind; it has too much affect on the high flying balls that stay in the air as long as my hybrid shots do.

My hybrid's in my work shop, my 5W is in my bag.

Dr: G430Max10K

3W, 5W: Stealth 2+

4i - 9i: T350

P, G, S, L: Vokey

Putter: Bettinardi BB46

On 8/9/2024 at 12:31 PM, RMarx_Golf said:

5w (Callaway UW 19º) for me as i've always struggled with any hybrid even after lessons. I can move my hands down on the UW a bit to get the ball out of most any rough. If I cant then i doubt a hybrid would help. Also looking to add a 7w to possibly replace the 4i.

Hybrids are obviously great clubs for the right players, but I've never enjoyed success with them.

I hate to be  stereotype because in more ways I'm an outlier, 
but honestly, I can't not turn them over.  

On 7/30/2024 at 10:05 PM, Javs said:

I would try to  dial it to 15.5 and see if you like it.

@Javs a quick update on the 3HL Paradym Metal, I tried the 15.5 setting for 4 rounds and wasn't comfortable with it off the tee. Used the 3HL in place of drive for 3 rounds, off the tee.  Off the deck, it wasn't too bad and performed like a 3 wood. However, I'm more comfortable at the 16.5 degrees setting was more relaxed. I think it's a better trajectory too, even into the wind.  
So this past Monday I changed the setting back to 16.5 with a draw bias, played at that setting for the last two rounds. Result very pleased with the feel & performance of the club.  

My Woods/Rescue set up will be:
Driver at 9 degrees, draw bias
3 wood 16.5 degrees with draw bias 
3 Rescue set at 19 degrees - 1 degree upright / draw
4 rescue set at 22 degrees - draw bias

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

8 minutes ago, tdroma98 said:

@Javs a quick update on the 3HL Paradym Metal, I tried the 15.5 setting for 4 rounds and wasn't comfortable with it off the tee. Used the 3HL in place of drive for 3 rounds, off the tee.  Off the deck, it wasn't too bad and performed like a 3 wood. However, I'm more comfortable at the 16.5 degrees setting was more relaxed. I think it's a better trajectory too, even into the wind.  
So this past Monday I changed the setting back to 16.5 with a draw bias, played at that setting for the last two rounds. Result very pleased with the feel & performance of the club.  

My Woods/Rescue set up will be:
Driver at 9 degrees, draw bias
3 wood 16.5 degrees with draw bias 
3 Rescue set at 19 degrees - 1 degree upright / draw
4 rescue set at 22 degrees - draw bias

First off @tdroma98 thank you for the update on your journey. I must of missed that you were setting them with draw bias. In the case of draw bias set on the hozel adjustment vice shifting a weight or lead tape will change the optimum point of impact on the club. It should also impart draw spin and a lower more penetrating flight. So to me it makes perfect sense that the 3 wood set at 16.5 with the more upright draw bias might be your sweet spot.  Sounds like you dialed in the secret sauce for those clubs! Good luck and hit them well!!

Play like a champion today!

I have trouble trusting a hybrid to not turn over and go left on me. I have not tried a 5 wood but my workaround thus far has been trying to play a fade on the hybrid, which makes it uncomfortable. Maybe it is just the fact I am a bad ball striker.

Callaway mavrik driver and 3 wood

Taylormade sim 2 max os irons

Callaway CB mack daddy wedges

LAB DF 2.1 Putter 

Srixon Z star Diamond ball

Typically for most, hybrids are swing like irons so there’s a shorter learning curve 

woods have their own swing which complicates things. I’ve ditched the woods overall because the lie matters a lot. During a round it’s added too many strokes 

Just started !

I am a bit of an anomaly here. I actually carry a 5-Wood, no 3-wood and instead opt for a 2-iron. Never have hit hybrids very well so I just stuck with the 5-wood.  Goes about 245-250 when struck well and I can shape it both ways. Fits the gap pretty well.  My 2-iron is more for off the tee and will go about 230 carry so there is a bit of overlap but it allows me a bit of versatility during any given round. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

16 hours ago, Cls98 said:

I have trouble trusting a hybrid to not turn over and go left on me. I have not tried a 5 wood but my workaround thus far has been trying to play a fade on the hybrid, which makes it uncomfortable. Maybe it is just the fact I am a bad ball striker.

Had the same problem hooking the hybrid. Try the 5 wood, much less likely to go left

Driver: Titleist TSR2 10 degree Tensei AV Blue 55 shaft 

Fairway woods: TaylorMade Burner 15 degree and Titleist TS2 18 degree 

Irons: Ping G425 irons 5-PW w/ Alta CB graphite shafts

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 921 gap 51. Ping Glide sand wedge 56. Titleist Vokey SM-07 lob wedge 60

Grips: Golf Pride MCC midsize plus 4 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom (right and left handed)

Balls: Titleist Pro V1 and Titleist Velocity

Presently I am carrying my 3 and 5 wood along with a 4 hybrid. Depending upon the course, I will swap the hybrid for a 7 wood.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5 at the Flat Setting

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons     Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist

All shafts are Ping's CB Alta, Regular in Woods and Hybrids, Stiff in the irons ( I just like these shafts and never saw a reason to look for 

others)

I use a 5 wood, I find for me hybrids are harder to hit consistently. I was fitted for my 5 wood and it is pretty lethal at this point plus I can hit it off the tea and out of the rough. 

Seth

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X w/ Nemesys 55 Four 

3 Wood: Taylormade QI10 w/ Graphite Design UB 6S 

5 Wood: Taylormade QI10 w/ Kai'li Blue 70S Shaft

7 Wood: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Denali Black 70S

Irons: Srixon Utility 3 Iron w/ Project X 6.0 

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P w/ UST Dart V F4 

Wedges: Callaway OPUS 50, 54, and 60

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour (Scottie Scheffler) 

Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X

I have always gravitated towards hybrids, have never found a fairway wood (of any loft between 14* - 18*) that I could hit well off the deck. 

In the article that @Javs posted in the first post of this thread, this section jumped out to me as to why:

image.png.8fa0560ba80035f1c1b8f4e072112d35.png

I have, historically, been steep into the ball. Either because I was coming over the top in my earlier days or because I come into the ball with my hands more ahead now (working on that). Also I prefer a shorter shaft which the hybrid provides. Yes, they are almost impossible for me to fade but I play a draw already so it is a flight I am used to seeing. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5*/STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25*/ Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
HackMotion Official Review -- 

I love a good 5 wood. I will swap that out with a 3 hybrid if I need less trajectory on my ball for high winds. 

Driver:   Srixon ZX7 w/GD Tour VR X 60g w/ Midsize ZCord

5W: TM Rocketballz RBZ with kai'li White X 60g w/ White VTC Cords

3-6 : PING iBlades DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords

7-PW: PING Blueprints DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords 

Wedges: TM MG3 52, 56, 58 DG S300 w/ White VTC Cords

Putter: Scotty Cameron Del-Mar 35" w/ Dancing Scotty Golf Pride Grip

3 hours ago, vandyland said:

I have always gravitated towards hybrids, have never found a fairway wood (of any loft between 14* - 18*) that I could hit well off the deck. 

In the article that @Javs posted in the first post of this thread, this section jumped out to me as to why:

image.png.8fa0560ba80035f1c1b8f4e072112d35.png

I have, historically, been steep into the ball. Either because I was coming over the top in my earlier days or because I come into the ball with my hands more ahead now (working on that). Also I prefer a shorter shaft which the hybrid provides. Yes, they are almost impossible for me to fade but I play a draw already so it is a flight I am used to seeing. 

Very valid points. I carry a 3 wood which I love, but also have a 17, 22 and 25 degree hybrids. I basically phased out the 5 wood and long irons. 

Play like a champion today!

5 wood.  Tried lots of hybrids, and just cannot get the proper descent angle.  Once I find one, or get fitted I'll get a hybrid.  Until then 5 wood!

If wanting 14 clubs in my bag, I have to choose to take out one of these;

5 wood

3 wood

62 degree

I usually carry 15 unless in a tournament, lol

Edited by Shifty

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

CURRENTLY TESTING T-Squared TS-912 putter

• 2 weeks later...

Both are great weapons. Currently and for some time using Honma tw 737c 5 wood, 18*, 55S Vizard butt cut 1/4inch for 178-192 yards, and Mizuno clk 22* set to 21*, with swapped out Titleist Bassara 65gm Stiff, for 160-178.  

The Mizuno is money in the bank, but don't and can't work it much.  The Honma is great for working draws and cuts and coming out of deep lies in rough with no real distance loss. I adore that Honma.  For a while it was my only fairway--3 wood has long been my weakest club.

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

hybrid I can use in the rougher stuff or on a fairway. where my 5 wood is just mainly for fairway I find hybrid is alot easier to hit and control.  with a ai smoke 3h I get about 180 200 yards out of it.  

chris

I played a hybrid for the last 5* years filling the gap between 4 iron and 3 wood. Purchased a 5 wood a couple of months ago with the same loft and I like it better. For some reason just have more confidence in it. Maybe the shaft, not sure.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.0 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - Ventus TR Reg
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 9 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

hybrid you can uses it in the  rough and fairway very versatile. I find it easier to make contact with hybrid but everyone different. I even like the feel off the tee from a hybrid I struggle with the woods so for me my hybrid are my wood clubs. 

chris

Honestly, I am not great at hitting woods or hybrids. My woods stay really low, but do travel a good distance if the course ahead is flat enough. With hybrids, I end up popping them about 120 into the air and they drop. So I'm in the "I don't know what I'm doing here" category. Still working on my swing to get one, or both down. 

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max 10.5°

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 25°, :titleist-small: Tsi2 21°

4i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM10 - 50° 12f, 54° 14f, 58° 14k

Putter:  :mizuno-small: M.Craft Type VI

Ball: :vice: Pro Air

Bag: Ghost Golf Maverick 14-Way 

Glove: Nexgen Nano-X Pro Tour+