MyGolfSpy Forum Member Testing 2025

It was an exciting year for testing that's for sure!  Probably was unrealistic to think this pace would continue.  

30 testing opportunities is nothing to sneeze at either.  Sometimes quality is better than quantity.  

Looking forward to see what MGS has in store for next year.

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ Red 6S

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:callaway-small: Apex Pro 16

rivl.jpg.451a4db0b8a2d10598295b520557b7c9.jpg  Rivl 52 Black

rivl.jpg.451a4db0b8a2d10598295b520557b7c9.jpg  Rivl 58 Black

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

Appreciate the transparent approach to the 2025 outlook and beyond. It has always been a blast following this group through the years and finally getting myself into the mix after so long. I really do believe in quality over quantity, but still, the outlook on the number of tests is still pretty damn solid. I do agree trying to keep up with the numerous tests can become daunting, but that is the beauty of following along with what interests you.

I also see this as being a great opportunity for those to already use what you got and provide some quality "unofficial" tests that members may want to get in front of the masses. This may allow those opportunities to be a spotlight if it is a well written assessment on something that is trending or has been missed in the past. As @EasyPutter mentioned prior, I love the idea of helping those very interested individuals in how to tell a story and frame their reviews. There is such a high ceiling with this group and I hope it only continues to hit that height and challenge even further. I look forward to 2025, but still want to enjoy 2024 too! Keep up the good work mod-peeps and thanks for all you do!

Edited by Chux13
Fixed a run-on

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

:callaway-small: Opus Platinum Blue 53º S Grind and 58º Z Grind

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

2 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

,why not release the type of products that will be reviewed and when.  For example, in June, we're going to be reviewing a rangefinder, sand wedges, a golf bag and a driver.  At least with the genre, there could be guesses (even a poll) of what the product is.  It may help build a little excitement and will tell those interested in one of those items that a review is coming up.  Just a thought.

That is an interesting take!  It would make sense.

I am curious how well the companies recieved the testing reviews as well . It certainly is a driving factor if they want to offer another opportunity every year.  Perhaps there is an opportunity there to help understand what we, as members,  can do better in the future. 

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I agree on certain dead periods. Offseason testing is really hard for a lot of folks

I will say, like others, kudos to all the work the mod team and forum staff has done lining up tests. 

I do agree in dialing back and having more quality reviews vs having a large quantity of tests. I get it gets more forum members involved but TBH, if I followed every test, I would never be able to get any work done, lol.

I think some great test ideas could be as follows:

Having tests based on most wanted testing and seeing if that testing result is supported by our forum members.

Game improvement tests, which some have happened this season. I think this makes us more of a golf community than just equipment.

For me personally I am more picky signing up for tests, trying to do things that I could actually use or are interested in. That is why a schedule would be nice for planning purposes but I totally get not giving out the whole enchilada of details

Testing competitions are also fun to see. Makes the testing more engaging.

Something that could also help is having a google form or something, with buttons for rating (like a survey) and then testers can put their comments in that way or depending on the test, whatever bubble you select it gives questions specific to why you rated it that way or something like that.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 60g 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

On 9/16/2024 at 3:13 PM, Golf2Much said:

Instead of releasing the actual products that are going to be reviewed, why not release the type of products that will be reviewed and when.  For example, in June, we're going to be reviewing a rangefinder, sand wedges, a golf bag and a driver.  At least with the genre, there could be guesses (even a poll) of what the product is.  It may help build a little excitement and will tell those interested in one of those items that a review is coming up.  Just a thought.

Support this!

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 60g 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I joined the forum this year. I never expected to get selected this year for a test. I am hugely thankful for the opportunity to test that I was selected for. This is a great community and valuable resource. The member testing is one small part. I have hugely enjoyed participating in the VCT.  I find lots of wisdom and answers here on the forum when I have questions.

If the testing list is shared in advance I will make a short list of tests that I think I would be able to provide meaningful input and will apply for them as they come up. If the tests are announced week by week I will still only apply for a small amount of them using this same criteria.

Thank you mods for all you do!

Switch hitter, RH Driver, LH Irons

Callaway Mavrik Driver (RH)

Sub 70 3i Driving/Utility iron (LH)

Maltby STi2 4i-PW, GW (LH)

Mizuno MP R Series 52 degree 

Wilson Jim Ferrier Signature SW (LH)

Mizuno TP Mills blade putter (LH)

On 9/15/2024 at 4:20 PM, LeakyValve said:

As someone who has tested in the past at a quicker than some might feel rate, and who's getting ready to do another test, I think for me I'd like to know how I did personally. 

What did I do well? What did I miss? Too much in my "official review post?" Too little. Pictures, videos etc. 

I kinda relate it back to this game that's brought us here. If a buddy is always doing the same thing thinking it's fine and we never tell him "hey man you need to fill your divot, or fix your ball mark on the green," he will never know. 

I understand that could make things a bit tricky telling someone "hey. This review didn't cut it this time," since they would never know if they would get the chance to do better. I also can see this being a bit trick in terms of man power too. Having to go through everyone's reviews with all their content etc and grading it can take lot of the staffs time. 

Just a thought is all. (Thank you again for the opportunity to test) 

I feel this way too. I really appreciated the feedback I got from staff during my test (and the opportunity to correct my mistakes when I made one in the beginning) and I’ve received a little feedback post-test, but I never got my score or a “lessons learned” after the fact. I truly appreciated the opportunity, and would love to have a chance again at some point in the future, so I’d love to know if my review was good, bad or otherwise.

I also understand the desire to have quality over quantity and the pressure that staff had to endure coordinating all the set up, walking reviewers through expectations, ensuring the actual testing good arrived, moderating comments, tracking status updates and then writing the recaps so it could be formally distributed on social, the Web and Email.

To me, it was a joy (dare I say dream fulfilled) to be selected as a tester and to be able to contribute to this community in this manner. I said when I started that if my review helped one other member make a decision then my review would be successful. I hope that I did so.

Thanks moderators and staff for everything. I truly hope this decision to reduce down the review amount in 2025 helps everyone involved to have a better experience on the site. I will still be tuned in to read through the reviews that do occur and be an active part of the other elements of this forum community. The amazing aspect of this forum/site is the people and not just the testing products.

Edited by frazzman80

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 10* | Taylor Made Mini Driver 13.5* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Haywood CB/MB combo set (4-7 CB; 8-PW MB) | Edison 2.0 wedges 51*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

You mean we're not going to see a review of the Hammer-X weighted anti-slice gloves in the forum in 2025 (that also somehow increase clubhead speed 5-10mph)? 

I'm heartbroken 💔

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C_TDqhmvpnt/?igsh=M2R6amxyb3RkaGpm

Seriously though, the best part of the forum has and always will be the community and the members and mods, not the tests, so this is perfectly fine imo. Quality over quantity is never bad either. 

Edited by Fongle

Driver - :cobra-small: King SZ 1w 7.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110MSI 60x

Woods - :cobra-small:King SZ Big Tour 3w 13.5° w/ Fujikura Pro 65, King SZ 5w 20° w/ Tensei CK White 70

Driving Iron - :cobra-small: King Utility 2i 16° w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 85

Irons - :callaway-small: Apex '24 Combo set - 4i Pro, 5i-8i CB, 9i-10i MB w/ KBS Tour V 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 52° - S 10° grind, 56° - C 8° grind, 60° - C 8° grind w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue 115

Putter(s) - :odyssey-small: :callaway-small: :scotty-small: :titleist-small: :ping-small:  :nike-small: :wilson-small: O-Works 2 Ball Black, Big Bertha Warbird, Special Select Squareback 2.0, Red X2, Bullseye Original Flange SC, Bullseye Standard Flange SC, OG Bronze Anser, Method Midnight 007, R.Mendralla 8802

My take, because I know y'all hang on my every word.🙄

I loved all the testing opportunities that were available this year, signed up for two myself and I hadn't put my name in for much over the years

There were so many tests, that it was indeed hard to keep up with all of them and you find yourself picking & choosing where to spend your limited time

I'm cool with quality over quantity as long as they are "quality products" and you're weeding out the fringe stuff

Moderators did a fantastic job overseeing all the opportunities while keeping up with their normal forum duties. This is a thankless job and we sincerely appreciate everything you guys do to keep the forum running smoothly

I value average Joe golf reviews over UTUBE pros, whose livelihood depends on them giving positive reviews to everything they get from the OEMs

I just finished a NGF survey in which they asked where do I get most of my golf product information and I listed MGS as my #1 resource

Looking forward to what 2025 brings

Hammer out!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I have roughly 17 of our slots for next year locked and loaded. We will do a slow release of tests throughout the early part of the season then aim to have weekly tests from April to August before winding down again. 

Out of curiosity, what brands or products do you want to see coming for next year? We still have a few to sort out, but are happy with our core group of companies involved. 

What small companies do you think would be valuable to have? What tech type products do you think would be valuable? What non-club products should we look at? 

I know jumbomax is either a hit or miss on here with opinions and thoughts but it could be a very interesting test.  Heavy draw or fade testers and what it does with their game.  I know they aren't necessarily "small" but primarily they sell direct. 

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I like the idea and do think grips have their place, but I do think for a typical member test moving forward we are going to avoid items like grips, apps, training aids, gloves and even possibly golf balls. 

We still have the idea of doing sampling opportunities, which again won't be member tests, but things that we announce here, no newsletter where people can get involved for products that are more plentiful and less extensive a little similar to the Bridgetstone opp last year. 

With the fewer numbers we do want to make sure they are really ones that members will get excited for. 

I was just going based off this for smaller companies/tech but love the idea of the sampling opportunities!

"What small companies do you think would be valuable to have? What tech type products do you think would be valuable? What non-club products should we look at? "

As for bigger testing opps and tech....

Simulator setups/packages would do well.  Any overhead system

I would say range finders but I feel like they are all so similar.

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I guess by smaller companies I mean some other DTC companies we may have not had. 

I should have been more clear 😞

Foreward Golf if you could get them to do it.  There fitting system is pretty unique. 

I know wilson isn't a DTC but their lineup this year is incredible looking. 

Edited by Josh Parker

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

With all the new launch monitors/simulators coming out it would be cool to see some more of those. Launch box, nova from optishot to name a couple.

anything sub70 they are coming out with a lot in the coming months

1 hour ago, Josh Parker said:

I know wilson isn't a DTC but their lineup this year is incredible looking. 

Wilson would be awesome as well. 
any golf watch catches my interest 

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, PXG 0311 P Gen 7 irons (4-GW), 54&58 degree Sub70 246 wedges, Tommy Armour #2 wide blade putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I guess by smaller companies I mean some other DTC companies we may have not had. 

I should have been more clear 😞

I was thinking some DTC companies, there are probably many out there that I’m not aware of.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Avoda combo or one length.

Golfyr carbon putters

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter