Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

The unofficial official 2016 Players Championship thread

Undershooter

Yup, that 2 iron was insane, 308 yards !? What the... he's da man !

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Fortunately I was playing but anyone who hits GW into 18 at Whistling is ridiculous. Its no shock that he would hit a 2 iron 308.

In regards to the course I don't know who they want to win. I'm confident that they prefer Day, Spieth or Rory because they need to replace Tiger. They messed up on the set up because they intervened twice.

This course was designed to host a tournament in March. It now hosts it in May. You will have radically different course conditios, dryer course and less wind most years. It is what it is.

They should have let the course be.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Fortunately I was playing but anyone who hits GW into 18 at Whistling is ridiculous. Its no shock that he would hit a 2 iron 308.

In regards to the course I don't know who they want to win. I'm confident that they prefer Day, Spieth or Rory because they need to replace Tiger. They messed up on the set up because they intervened twice.

This course was designed to host a tournament in March. It now hosts it in May. You will have radically different course conditios, dryer course and less wind most years. It is what it is.

They should have let the course be.

Agreed. Although I think that's part of the reason they are putting in the tifeagle and taking out the miniverde. To try and counteract the Tourney date being later in the year. Next year is gonna be super firm with new greens. Bet they aren't gonna be rolling near this fast or we are gonna hear some real complaining from the players.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Understood although the greens weren't really fast until Saturday. Tiff eagle can be ridiculously firm. We did a nice job of demonstrating that today. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Next year with new greens you'll hear a lot of the new green excuses. I think as long they are consistent and roll true it'll be fine.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

These greens will be the same as the ones they put in at my club - it will level the playing field for sure because everything about them will be different than what they have currently.  They are the same grass as Pinehurst number 2 BTW.

I believe this is the 3rd different grass used for the greens at Sawgrass.  I wonder if they will reshape the greens a bit?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

These greens will be the same as the ones they put in at my club - it will level the playing field for sure because everything about them will be different than what they have currently.  They are the same grass as Pinehurst number 2 BTW.

I believe this is the 3rd different grass used for the greens at Sawgrass.  I wonder if they will reshape the greens a bit?

Yea I know they've redone them before. Did they add undulation or change them last time? I'm afraid I was prolly a little young to remember the last time they fooled with them. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

As I recall they softened them - not as in made them softer but rather made larger areas on the greens for a wider variety of pin placements. 

When that course first opened there was nothing like it.  The greens had section each of which were like little table tops that rappelled the ball away if it wasn't hit perfectly. 

Also the tournament was played in March which is a very windy month in Florida.  It was brutal - interestingly though the course that was used prior to TPC was even tougher because it was right on the water making the March wind obscene. 

The last redo increased the sections of the greens to make them more playable and then the move the May (a good one IMO) along with other courses like Sawgrass being designed and played regularly made lots of its teeth go away.  It's not as different anymore -

It will be interesting to see if the new greens start to put some of the fire back into the course.  I like to see big events - Masters, Open, PGA, Players won at around -8.  The US Open can continue to serve as the outlier where par is good.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived