Tigers Return

Our Sponsors

• SPY VIP

I was very happy to see Tiger return today, but I was hoping for super human Tiger, not human Tiger.

I bet he will get it together soon, but those chips, and some of the putts, were painful to watch.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @golfspy_dave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I was very happy to see Tiger return today, but I was hoping for super human Tiger, not human Tiger.

I bet he will get it together soon, but those chips, and some of the putts, were painful to watch.

I think this could be a really good year for him. Even though yesterday was abysmal the swing looked great and he found the fairway with the driver a lot.

• Like 1

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Now, Tiger has an opportunity......to dig out of the hole he encountered yesterday and return to respectability.  I'll be there on Sunday to watch....Hopefully, he put on a better show than yesterday. 

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

For all of Tiger's detractors who says he has lost it.... 

I would gladly give one of my kidneys to be able to play like him in his worse form. Hell... I'll throw in half my liver if I could put like him as well  :rolleyes:

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

I think this could be a really good year for him. Even though yesterday was abysmal the swing looked great and he found the fairway with the driver a lot.

His full swing looks great!

His short game... hmmm... seem to flub his chips / pitch a bit. But I doubt that's something that will trouble him for long.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Gotta admit I've kinda developed a soft spot for Tiger and his past troubles over the years. It seems that post accident/scandal he's kind of lost his hubris, which is what made him behave the way he did, but also gave him that aura of invincibility on the course.  

He's still a great player - now one of many.  Think his struggles at the majors are health related or head related?

I've been trying this for the past five years with very few takers/converts so I will try it here again.......

It's about the putter!

It happened to Snead, Palmer and Watson in their early to mid 30's. After that they all could compete and even win regular tour events for quite some time but not majors. it's like that for Tiger and it started before the personal issues or coach changes or comebacks or anything else.

Check out the stats, he was not hitting the ball particularly well towards the end of his tenure with Hank and his body was a mess. He won a US Open on a broken leg because he holed the putts that he needed to hole to win.

Since that time though it's all changed. In his comeback Masters he was on a roll until a short miss of an Eagle putt on 13 stopped the run. That was a putt that he had never used to miss. He's constantly struggling with his speed in majors, blowing it by, leaving it short and that leads to short game issues (if I don't get this tight I'm making bogey) to approach shot issues (dunk it or settle for par) to driving issues although it's been a long time since he was a good driver. After his first return he was striking the ball great, winning regular tour events, even World Golf events, heck he returned to World number 1, but he could not win majors.

For Tiger it's all about the putter. Of course his legacy is greater even than Snead, Palmer and Watson but I don't see any more majors or certainly not enough to threaten Jack unless the putter changes. Even when Watson had that incredible run at the Open it was the putter that did him in. That's where Tiger is at.

It's not physical, it's not ball striking and it's not mental unless that's what is causing him to miss putts. It's all about the putter for him. He should take care of his swing himself and go see Dave Stockton.

• Like 1

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

Revkev, I tend to agree with your take on this, if for no other reason that I think as we get older we lose some of the "instinct" or natural coordination of vision and muscles we were able to rely on when we were younger.

When I was a kid, even though I didn't play golf, I did play Putt-Putt courses and was pretty good at it.  Even though I didn't start to play golf until I was 50, I could putt better than I do now, without really having to think about it.  I could, more or less, instinctively see the line and strike the ball well enough to make the putt or get close enough to tap in.

Once that natural ability declines, we start to "think" about our putting and the brain gets in the way.

What's In The Bag

Driver :titelist-small:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Tom Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 569-A

Hybrid  :cleveland-small: Hibore 22* Aldila VS Proto Blue

Irons  :ping-small: G series 5-P

Wedges :ping-small:Glide 54* SS / 60* TS - SCOR 53*

Putter     :nike-small: Nike Method 001 / P2 Reflex grip 35"

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

Revkev, I tend to agree with your take on this, if for no other reason that I think as we get older we lose some of the "instinct" or natural coordination of vision and muscles we were able to rely on when we were younger.

When I was a kid, even though I didn't play golf, I did play Putt-Putt courses and was pretty good at it.  Even though I didn't start to play golf until I was 50, I could putt better than I do now, without really having to think about it.  I could, more or less, instinctively see the line and strike the ball well enough to make the putt or get close enough to tap in.

Once that natural ability declines, we start to "think" about our putting and the brain gets in the way.

:)

Perhaps it gets better as dime tai kicks in and we start to forget the misses.

It's strange age effects people differently. I've gotten to be a better putter with age. Some no all of that is a matter of confidence and clearly I'm not doing it for a living, under pressure, day after day. Clearly there are those who loose their stroke earlier than others.

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

:)

Perhaps it gets better as dime tai kicks in and we start to forget the misses.

It's strange age effects people differently. I've gotten to be a better putter with age. Some no all of that is a matter of confidence and clearly I'm not doing it for a living, under pressure, day after day. Clearly there are those who loose their stroke earlier than others.

I play better, in all aspects of the game, the less I think about it.  Maybe I'm just forgetting the misses - lol

What's In The Bag

Driver :titelist-small:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Tom Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 569-A

Hybrid  :cleveland-small: Hibore 22* Aldila VS Proto Blue

Irons  :ping-small: G series 5-P

Wedges :ping-small:Glide 54* SS / 60* TS - SCOR 53*

Putter     :nike-small: Nike Method 001 / P2 Reflex grip 35"

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

I've been trying this for the past five years with very few takers/converts so I will try it here again.......

It's about the putter!

It's not physical, it's not ball striking and it's not mental unless that's what is causing him to miss putts. It's all about the putter for him. He should take care of his swing himself and go see Dave Stockton.

Totally agree about the putter. He doesn't seem to have he same confidence he used to have. Stockton would be a good choice, but I would also add that since he is going back to his early swing, Tiger should also dig his old putter out of the closet.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I feel like we are witnessing a legend become human. I find it interesting about age and putter. Then again I find that stat a little scary since I am closing in on that age. But it can't make my putting much worse. The Tiger of days past have gone. He is a normal PGA player. He will have good weeks and bad weeks. We need to start watching the young guys begin to carry the work load and carry the future of the PGA to another new level. 

What's in the Bag

Bag- Sun Mountian 

Driver - Callaway Rouge 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow
Fairway wood - Ping G15 3 wood

Hybrid - Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 19* 
Irons - Callaway XR 5-PW
Wedges - Cleveland 588-RTX 52* 56* 60*
Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3 - SuperStroke Wrist lock Grip

I feel like we are witnessing a legend become human. I find it interesting about age and putter. Then again I find that stat a little scary since I am closing in on that age. But it can't make my putting much worse. The Tiger of days past have gone. He is a normal PGA player. He will have good weeks and bad weeks. We need to start watching the young guys begin to carry the work load and carry the future of the PGA to another new level. 

I doubt Tiger sees himself as a regular PGA player now. He is going to have to figure a new way to score low, similar to how Michael Jordan had to figure out how to score when he could no longer jump over everyone, so he went to the fadeaway.

Wonder what is going to be Tiger's fadeaway?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Great point Theoo. And maybe Tiger switching his gear is like MJ going to 45. 

What's in the Bag

Bag- Sun Mountian 

Driver - Callaway Rouge 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow
Fairway wood - Ping G15 3 wood

Hybrid - Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 19* 
Irons - Callaway XR 5-PW
Wedges - Cleveland 588-RTX 52* 56* 60*
Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3 - SuperStroke Wrist lock Grip

Great point Theo, the legends always find a new trick to get them over the next challenge and remain great.   I remember when the Mailman started taking mid-range jumpers and I thought, "What are you doing, take it to the hole!"   Then he started hitting them and uh-oh, he had another weapon.

I think there is a difference in the MJ and Tiger analogy, however.  MJ never stopped thinking he was MJ.  It seems to me that Tiger may think he's human now.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

It's what makes great players great. Like some of the guys said, his full swing looked really good. We all know short game and the putter comes down to feel. He must have really taken the time he needed off and not touched any clubs while he was out. With all that has happened to him though, I still wish him the best and hope to see him give Rory a run for his money.

DRIVER:                  :mizuno-small:  ST190, 10.5*, Fujikura  Atmos Black Tour Spec 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap, midsize

HYBRIDS:    :adams-small:    Pro  2 hybrid 16*, Aldila Tour Red 75g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip 

:mizuno-small:           JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip                                  

IRONS:            :cobra-small:    King Forged Tour 4i-pw, KBS FLT, shafts, stiff,  Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

WEDGES:        rsz_scor-golf-logo.png        50, 55, 60 degree wedges with Genius 12 stiff flex,   Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

PUTTER:       :odyssey-small:    O-Works Marksman 33.5", Superstroke 1.0 Flatso grip w/ 50g counter core

BALL:          :bridgestone-small: Tour B X                                                     

BAG:          :Ogio:              Cirrus Golf Bag 

Shoes:              Skechers                  Hexgo Control  Shoes