Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Increasing Angle Of Attack

First of all superduper Welcome to the MGS forum and Happy New Year!

There are people more qualified than I am on the golf swing, but I would play the ball just slightly more forward and tee it higher. For practice I tee it very high with an AoA about +5 degrees. My tendency is to get fairly flat which I use to hit a stinger, but then have trouble launching it when I need to. So I have to practice that shot.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Welcome! The only thing I would say is don't let your upper body move toward the target before impact. If you get over or ahead of the ball, you won't bottom out before the ball. You'll hit down on it every time.

There are people more qualified than I am on the golf swing, but I would play the ball just slightly more forward and tee it higher. For practice I tee it very high with an AoA about +5 degrees. My tendency is to get fairly flat which I use to hit a stinger, but then have trouble launching it when I need to. So I have to practice that shot.

Happy new year!  Thanks for the tip.....

Happy new year!  Thanks for the tip.....

Welcome! The only thing I would say is don't let your upper body move toward the target before impact. If you get over or ahead of the ball, you won't bottom out before the ball. You'll hit down on it every time.

I've heard about this comment before.  If I put my weight on the back foot (in this case my right foot), does it help to prevent my upperbody to  move toward the target?

I am working on this. I set up with my left shoulder higher and make sure I stay posted on my left side.

By that I mean I do not sway and keep body behind the ball. If I sway forward I hit a mean low left hook. Stay behind it and a high draw.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I've heard about this comment before. If I put my weight on the back foot (in this case my right foot), does it help to prevent my upperbody to move toward the target?

That's an individual thing I think. It's more about extra spine tilt with the driver. Your weight still gets on your forward foot, it just feels like your leaning away from the target a bit more I guess. But someone else may have a different feel. I know I used to move my upper body forward too much and end up with high spinning driver shots. Once I realized what I was doing, I was more conscious about it.

Ok guys.  I hit several balls into the net this afternoon (in my backyard).  Several adjustments I made to my setup:

- Ball further forward, exactly on my left foot

- Tilt my shoulder to the right

- Weight on the right foot 

- Tee the ball 3/4 above the crown

Now I almost hit everything in the center of the clubface.  It felt good off the clubface too.    Does it mean I have a positive angle of attack now?    

Hard to tell until you can either see the ball flight or results on a launch monitor. I can do all the things you did and still hit a line drive. That's why I have to practice, but I do it on a range where I can see the ball.

When I did my fitting last spring, I could see the ball flight and then see the AoA on the launch monitor, so I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Hard to tell until you can either see the ball flight or results on a launch monitor. I can do all the things you did and still hit a line drive. That's why I have to practice, but I do it on a range where I can see the ball.

When I did my fitting last spring, I could see the ball flight and then see the AoA on the launch monitor, so I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do.

Something that I notice too is the ball launched higher.   When it hit to the net, it almost hit the upper part of the net. 

Setting up with a reverse K helps too.  What I do is to set up normally and then I take my right hand off the club and tilt my spine until my right hand can touch the outside of my right knee.  I then try to maintain that position.

Im personally not a fan of playing the ball farther forward and teeing it higher because it can lead to a wicked slice.  No harm in trying it but Ive tried it and am not a fan.  For me, it caused me to either slice or duck hook it.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I have a +5 AoA and this is how I do it. I set up with the ball on my front foot. I put 70% of my weight on my back foot. During the downswing, I shift as much weight as I can to the front foot, while trying to keep my back foot down for as long as possible. I don't tee the ball any higher than normal, unless I'm down wind and in that case, I move the ball a little more forward as well.

Can you tell me what kind of ball flight you are getting with a positive AoA? 

Can you tell me what kind of ball flight you are getting with a positive AoA?

My ball flight is not all that high because swing speed is not that high. I can usually control the ball flight depending on what I want to do for the course conditions. I tend to keep it lower to try and get more roll unless the course is soft, then try for more carry. I tried the TM "Loft Up" with the SLDR. Actually got to 17*/1700rpm, but got almost no roll. I really liked the ball flight and could hit most all fairways, but total distance suffered. I can also hit a low "stinger", but most of the time the ball flight is somewhere between the two... about 12-13*. There is no way that I ever hit it too high! :)

Fist of all welcome secondly here's a radical suggestion - take a lesson.

If that 1 is an accurate handicap I'm guessing you're a good driver. Trying to improve the AoA a for a few yards may not be worth the risk. The average AoA on tour is slightly negative.

So you need to go to a good teacher, talk about your game, determine the pluses and minuses to making changes and then do it under a watchful eye if that's what you decide on. It's not as easy as everyone is making it sound.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My ball flight is not all that high because swing speed is not that high. I can usually control the ball flight depending on what I want to do for the course conditions. I tend to keep it lower to try and get more roll unless the course is soft, then try for more carry. I tried the TM "Loft Up" with the SLDR. Actually got to 17*/1700rpm, but got almost no roll. I really liked the ball flight and could hit most all fairways, but total distance suffered. I can also hit a low "stinger", but most of the time the ball flight is somewhere between the two... about 12-13*. There is no way that I ever hit it too high! :)

Funny thing, I also play with SLDR 430.  Of course I lofted up too.  From 10.5 to 12 degree.   But my ball flight is still penetrating (which I like it).  I got more roll compared to my previous driver.   From 10 yards to 15 yards average. 

I will say Kenny that I was surprised when you said you aren't getting any roll out at 17/1700. You should with that spin rate.

It's onteresting, I've never had my SLDR on a launch monitor. I could tell at the demo day when I had it right. I've monkeyed with the loft a couple of times but hit it best on neutral, weight shifted three towards fade. My ball flight is a nice medium high draw when I hit it well and I get a bit of roll out. I'm hoping for more as things dry out during the winter.

Back to AOA I really think you should try and find a teacher.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Normally, Rev, I would agree with you on the lesson, but I think a LM session with someone who understands the numbers would be more beneficial. You could have a low flight with a positive AoA, because a loft is too low for a SS or vice versa. I, personally, would invest in a TrackMan session, before a lesson.....you'd probably save at least $30.

Funny thing, I also play with SLDR 430.  Of course I lofted up too.  From 10.5 to 12 degree.   But my ball flight is still penetrating (which I like it).  I got more roll compared to my previous driver.   From 10 yards to 15 yards average.

I will say Kenny that I was surprised when you said you aren't getting any roll out at 17/1700. You should with that spin rate.

It's onteresting, I've never had my SLDR on a launch monitor. I could tell at the demo day when I had it right. I've monkeyed with the loft a couple of times but hit it best on neutral, weight shifted three towards fade. My ball flight is a nice medium high draw when I hit it well and I get a bit of roll out. I'm hoping for more as things dry out during the winter.

Back to AOA I really think you should try and find a teacher.

I had a hard time getting to 17/1700 and I had to do it with the 14* SLDR and with the +5 AoA. The problem is that there wasn't enough spin to keep it in the air and it dropped like a rock. I was better off hitting a low-back weighted club at 10.5 or maybe 12 degrees depending on the brand with spin up around 2400. It's unfortunate, because I really loved everything about the SLDR except the distance. Thought about playing with the shaft, but not sure it will be any better.

I had been playing a 2006 Macgregor but about a year ago I switched to the Adams Speedline Fast 12. So far, none of the new clubs have made any improvement. So I keep looking.

I had a hard time getting to 17/1700 and I had to do it with the 14* SLDR and with the +5 AoA. The problem is that there wasn't enough spin to keep it in the air and it dropped like a rock. I was better off hitting a low-back weighted club at 10.5 or maybe 12 degrees depending on the brand with spin up around 2400. It's unfortunate, because I really loved everything about the SLDR except the distance. Thought about playing with the shaft, but not sure it will be any better.

I had been playing a 2006 Macgregor but about a year ago I switched to the Adams Speedline Fast 12. So far, none of the new clubs have made any improvement. So I keep looking.

Nobody hit a driver with 17 launch angle, it will be too high for everybody, even for the ladies. 

Tmag is just trying to make a point that with high launch and low spin, it will get you more distance.   Oversimplified....

1700 RPM is too low for most people too.... especially if you swing below 100 Mph. 

Nobody hit a driver with 17 launch angle, it will be too high for everybody, even for the ladies.

Tmag is just trying to make a point that with high launch and low spin, it will get you more distance. Oversimplified....

1700 RPM is too low for most people too.... especially if you swing below 100 Mph.

I launch my driver around 15-16° and have no problem with it going too high.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I launch my driver around 15-16° and have no problem with it going too high.

As long as you have a low spin, it will carry more.... your driver is fitted for max. carry? 

"Most average golfers will benefit from launch angle from 12-13 degree with spin above 2500 rpm" - my fitter advice. 

Normally, Rev, I would agree with you on the lesson, but I think a LM session with someone who understands the numbers would be more beneficial. You could have a low flight with a positive AoA, because a loft is too low for a SS or vice versa. I, personally, would invest in a TrackMan session, before a lesson.....you'd probably save at least $30.

True however he told us upfront that he is using a 12.5 or I thought he did. @SuperD actually 17/1700 does work but getting it is another matter altogether. I'm still surprised that Kenny got it and the ball nose dived. I'd like to have T weigh in on that one for us.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

True however he told us upfront that he is using a 12.5 or I thought he did. @SuperD actually 17/1700 does work but getting it is another matter altogether. I'm still surprised that Kenny got it and the ball nose dived. I'd like to have T weigh in on that one for us.

What can I say... I'm just special.

• 4 weeks later...

BTW guys, I was able to get on a launch monitor.   I hit about 10 shots with my Nike SQ Tour 10.5 degree driver.   I got around 16 degree of launch angle.  The LM doesn't give an angle of attack reading.  How do you estimate the AoA from this launch angle data?  Is this a positive angle of attack? 

BTW guys, I was able to get on a launch monitor. I hit about 10 shots with my Nike SQ Tour 10.5 degree driver. I got around 16 degree of launch angle. The LM doesn't give an angle of attack reading. How do you estimate the AoA from this launch angle data? Is this a positive angle of attack?

That depends on your dynamic loft at impact. Launch angle alone can't tell you what your attack angle is.

Archived