Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

The one that got away

mrsmith123

Have you ever had a club or shaft, or both that you let get away? Or maybe traded in, or sold on eBay? Only to realize after how good it was and you wished you could have it back. Well I have, more then once but there is one above them all. How about you?

For me it was the Nike SQ Tour 460 driver, 8.5 degree with Diamana Whiteboard (flowerband) 73x. This was back in 2008, and I have missed it since I traded somebody for a Burner Tp.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

How about stolen? I had my clubs stolen out of my car when my son left them in there overnight rather than bringing them in. This was a while back, before I knew much about equipment.

They were insured and my pro knew how to work the system. But still I had a set of Nicklaus Iron max irons that he couldn't replace for me and a three wood that had a shaft that clicked for me but I had no clue what it was. (Now I know it was a mitsuyama).

He was Titleist/Ping so that's what I ended up with. I chased irons for three years after that until I found a used used of Ironmaxs after moving to Florida. I played my best golf ever with that set, my first graphite shafted irons.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

How about stolen? I had my clubs stolen out of my car when my son left them in there overnight rather than bringing them in. This was a while back, before I knew much about equipment.

They were insured and my pro knew how to work the system. But still I had a set of Nicklaus Iron max irons that he couldn't replace for me and a three wood that had a shaft that clicked for me but I had no clue what it was. (Now I know it was a mitsuyama).

He was Titleist/Ping so that's what I ended up with. I chased irons for three years after that until I found a used used of Ironmaxs after moving to Florida. I played my best golf ever with that set, my first graphite shafted irons.

I left an 8 iron out of my favorite set of irons ever one the range just over a week ago.  No one has turned it in yet and I'm beginning to lose hope. I suppose this would rate as my favorite iron that got away.

My favorite driver was the Ping G25 which I traded in.  Something about that driver that gave me more comfort on the tee than any other to date. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Two!

First: TaylorMade Tour Burner TP driver with an Aldila HM-40 80g X Stiff shaft. I murdered that thing!

The other: Ping Zing 2 irons 3-PW, white dot. I've never been more consistent than with that set. I decided that my game had moved to a level I wanted to play blades. I've missed them ever since.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I had a Circle T Scotty Laguna stolen from my truck a few years back. Had an early tee time the next day and stupidly left my bag in a soft top Jeep. Only thing from my bag that they took as well as a cheap Tom Tom GPS.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

A set of Mizuno MP-32's.. I still get Chills remembering some of the purest, best feeling iron shots I hit with those clubs... Traded them in for of all things Callaway X-20 irons because, with a baby on the way I figured I would have less practice time and would play less (which was true) and needed more forgiving irons. What a train wreck that was, lol. I eventually moved on to Mizuno MP-57's, but it doesn't have the same feel..

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I broke, on purpose, a mizuno mp 29 2iron after a bad year of golf. As soon as I did it I knew I had made a mistake. Immediately bought one on eBay and it wasn't quite the same

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

What's this get rid of you mention? All of my previous sets of clubs are currently sitting in the attic for a situation just like you mention. My wife thinks they were turned into local retailers but hey....only time I've got some explaining to do is when we move.  :D  :D

What's this get rid of you mention? All of my previous sets of clubs are currently sitting in the attic for a situation just like you mention. My wife thinks they were turned into local retailers but hey....only time I've got some explaining to do is when we move. :D :D

I wish I could hit the like button more than once... ;)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/LibertyBallMarkers

Last summer I got rid of my Rocketballz TP stage one driver and it's been a driver circus ever since. One Nike vapor pro, 2 broken Nike flex 440s and a Cobra F6+ which I do really enjoy and will keep, but nothing can replace that driver.

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

Ping Rapture v2 driver with a blueboard in it.

A number of years ago when I thought I could just buy my way to a better game...

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Ping Rapture v2 driver with a blueboard in it.

A number of years ago when I thought I could just buy my way to a better game...

Uh.. Wait, you can't?!? But it has been fun trying :)

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

The Callaway FT Tour driver I'd been gaming for 6 years gave up the ghost on the range last Summer. The seam where the cup face met the carbon fiber body exploded. Immediately replaced it with another that was identical stem to stern, but it just wasn't the same. Decided it must be time for some new tech so now I'm trying to dial in an M1 430 that is currently the most hated club in the bag.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I've still got a Rapture v2 as you described Stoker. Not sure of the shaft. It's my second best driver of all time.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I left an 8 iron out of my favorite set of irons ever one the range just over a week ago. No one has turned it in yet and I'm beginning to lose hope. I suppose this would rate as my favorite iron that got away.

My favorite driver was the Ping G25 which I traded in. Something about that driver that gave me more comfort on the tee than any other to date.

Yea having a driver that your comfortable with is so key. I've got a launcher now that I love. 290 with a slight fade 8 out of 10 times.

Yea having a driver that your comfortable with is so key. I've got a launcher now that I love. 290 with a slight fade 8 out of 10 times.

One of Our best golfers plays the Cleveland Launcher! He pounds the heck out of it! Old school but if works so well.

LOL not saying you play this club however what works is the ticket... it doesn't matter how old or new it is.

Cleveland

You know I may have been an uninformed enabler on that decision. Ha.

When you and I are old and gray sitting in the rockers, you'll probably look over and say. You know I never should have gotten rid of those MP32's. You may forget many things in this life. But you'll never forget that.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

You would be whupping my arse like a red headed step child brother! With that said,,, I would enjoy watching you pound that ball a country mile..... 

Cleveland

You know I may have been an uninformed enabler on that decision. Ha.

When you and I are old and gray sitting in the rockers, you'll probably look over and say. You know I never should have gotten rid of those MP32's. You may forget many things in this life. But you'll never forget that.

Ha ha ha... I didn't want to point fingers but... ;) just kidding

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

You would be whupping my arse like a red headed step child brother! With that said,,, I would enjoy watching you pound that ball a country mile.....

Haha, unfortunately 290 yds is "short" by comparison to a lot of the younger guys I play with.

Haha, unfortunately 290 yds is "short" by comparison to a lot of the younger guys I play with.

Yea but your short game will take em to the woodshed ;) 

Cleveland

I sold my favorite set of victory red pro combos a few years back and still kinda wish I had them around. The blade short irons in that set were pure.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I had a putter I loved. It was a Ping WRX Anser TI3 with a blue neck. Had a bunch of kids and golf wasn't a priority for about a decade so I sold it around 2005. Now a couple of the kids are really into golf and we golf as a family, so it all came full circle.

Callaway Rouge ST Max Driver, Tensei AV Blue 55 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Fairway, Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Hybrid, Tensei AV Blue 75 S

PXG 0311 XP G3 Irons 5-GW, True Temper Elevate Tour S

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Wedge 54º, 60º, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

PXG Blackjack Putter

Titleist Pro V1

My Grandfather gave me a Ping Pal putter.  I gamed it for 15 years or more.  One day after league I left my clubs on the cart right in front of the entrance of the pro shop.  (I was inside drinking :wacko: )  When I grabbed my clubs I noticed it was missing.  I took the cart to all the greens I had played, but the entire time I knew it was in my bag when I went in for liquid refreshment.  The local school had practice that evening and I suspect a kid might have lifted it, but I really don't know.  I probably have 25 vintage Ping putters, and none of them have the magic that one had.  It had some very specific custom touches, and I pray I come across the (insert expletive of your choice)   that stole it some day.  

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

Im going to take it wayyyyyyyyyy back:  For me its a Mizuno Pro 300s Driver,  the first one released with the Blue face... That thing was ahead of its time.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Way back I had a Yonex adx300? 3 wood was one on the best clubs I ever owned. Drives over 300, I could hit it almost any distance I wanted from 50 to 250 with relative ease.

Til one day I was getting a bit cocky and tried to hit a high 150 yd shot off the mat and there went the head , even with reshafting with the same exact shaft it was never the same and never got close to hitting a 300 yd drive ever again with that club. Never found a 3w that has ever come close.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I lost my PING ANSER putter I was given back in 1979 or 1980.... (when I was 8 or 9 years old)..

I used that putter for about 10 years and sorta stopped playing..

Back in 2000 I was going to England to play a few rounds and have vacation only to find out my putter was missing in the bag, and I bought a PING MYDAY which is nice but didn't work real good for me..

Good news is I found it at my parents garage, only a few months ago, in a corner behind all kinds of stuff :-)

So it got away but came back!

This putter has had maybe 3 different lengths of shafts on and I recently had 80 grams added in the butt and ofcause a new classic PING putter grip..

One of Our best golfers plays the Cleveland Launcher! He pounds the heck out of it! Old school but if works so well.

LOL not saying you play this club however what works is the ticket... it doesn't matter how old or new it is.

Exactly, I've gone between the original Launcher and the Launcher 400 for a long time. The profile suits my eye so well, and they are so "solid" feeling, even though the sound is an acquired taste. When you catch them on the screws they really go.

My Grandfather gave me a Ping Pal putter. I gamed it for 15 years or more. One day after league I left my clubs on the cart right in front of the entrance of the pro shop. (I was inside drinking :wacko: ) When I grabbed my clubs I noticed it was missing. I took the cart to all the greens I had played, but the entire time I knew it was in my bag when I went in for liquid refreshment. The local school had practice that evening and I suspect a kid might have lifted it, but I really don't know. I probably have 25 vintage Ping putters, and none of them have the magic that one had. It had some very specific custom touches, and I pray I come across the (insert expletive of your choice) that stole it some day.

I had a Ping Pal 2 in college and traded it for a Cameron. Totally regretted it two weeks later. But on the plus side, a year later in 2008 I dumped the Scotty and picked up a custom Mitchell Studio design (similar to the Newport 2 from back when). I have kept that putter in my bag to this day, most solid club I've ever putted with.

Archived