Our Sponsors

Photo

Zen Tour IV - A Perfectly Balanced Golf Ball?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 GolfSpy Barbajo

GolfSpy Barbajo

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Administrators
  • 6,308 posts
  • LocationPrior Lake, MN
  • Handicap:5.1

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:34 AM

I love when the mail comes - you never know what's going to be in the mailbox....

Got this press release  today -- I'll quote as much as is necessary:

Smash Pro Sports Launches The First Perfectly Balanced Golf Ball

A balanced ball leads to longer drivers, less sidespin, true rolling putts and lower scores.

SMASH Pro Sports announced the launch of the first perfectly balanced USGA conforming tour golf ball. Zen Tour IV and Zen Bold III's dual balanced patented technology provides more ball and spin control, longer, straight drives and true rolling putts on greens.

Using fluid dynamics, Zen golf balls are balanced and aligned to their exact center of gravity, ensuring a perfect balance when aligned to the target. 

This technology alight the weight distribution of the ball, creating a perfect balance and helping the Zen ball to hold its putting line no matter where it's struck. Most golf balls contain anomalies and imperfections that make the ball spin towards the heavier side. With Zen Golf, we're confident you'll find your balance and unleash your inner pro.

"The golf ball category has become more segmented and customized in the last few years," said Mark Hodson, VP of Business Development. "When we discovered the unique performance enhancements that the Zen ball's bane and alignment deliver, we knew this ball should be on the market. Golfers will gain an edge immediately and feel the difference."

For a limited time, visit zengolfball.com to get 40% off the MSRP. this launch special is available while supplies last. All purchases are backed by the company's 100% money back guarantee.

That's what it says. Honest.

Apparently the theory is a ball that's left heavy will tend to veer left, and a ball that's right heavy will tend to veer right.  I'm guessing this is similar to the theory behind those ball-balancing doohickies that were popular a few years ago, and the age old notion of putting balls into an epsom salt bath and marking the ball with a dot and seeing what happens.  Here's an excerpt from Golfweek.com:

How Can I Water Balance Golf Balls?

By M.L. Rose

On the outside, a golf ball appears to be a perfect sphere, except for the dimpled surface. But there may be imperfections beneath the skin of some golf balls. Among those who’ve warned the public about these structural anomalies is golf coach Dave Pelz. In his book, “Putt Like the Pros,” Pelz (a former NASA scientist) had a putting machine strike unbalanced balls -- balls that were slightly heavier in one spot than another. Pelz states that the worst balanced balls wandered 2½ inches off course during a 10-foot putt. While some manufacturers advertise golf balls as being perfectly balanced, there’s a simple way you may test your golf balls to be sure.

Place a golf ball in lukewarm water, then add Epsom salts until the ball floats, the Life Tips website directs. Chicago Tribune golf reporter Ed Sherman notes that the test may also include “a few drops of dishwashing detergent.”

Mark the top of the ball with a felt tip pen or marker.

Hold the ball beneath the water and spin it. Note whether the marked spot rises to the top, then repeat the procedure. If different points of the ball rise to the top of the water, the ball is balanced. But if the marked spot floats to the top each time, the ball is unbalanced, according to Sherman, because the ball’s heavier side will always rotate to the bottom.

So, what do you think? Is this hooey?  I'll give these balls a try and see if my game is transformed....

fantasy-golf-2016-signature.jpg

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex 440, 9.5*, weight forward, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73 shaft, stiff, tipped 1/4";  :srixon-small: Z-565, 9.5*, Miyazaki Kaula shaft, stiff

Mini Driver:   :callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini 1.5, 11*, Kuro Kage 60G shaft, stiff

FW Wood:  :ping-small: G Stretch 3, 13*, PING Alta Shaft, stiff;  :mizuno-small: JPX-900, 14*, Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution II shaft, stiff

Hybrids:  :benhogan-small: VKTR 17 & 21*, Aldila NV 85H shaft, stiff;  :srixon-small: H65, 19*, Miyazaki Kaula hybrid shaft, stiff

Irons:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6, 4-PW, DG AMT, stiff;  :benhogan-small: PTx, 25*-45*, KBS C-Taper shafts, stiff

Wedges:  :benhogan-small: Ft. Worth 15, 49-53-57-61*, KBS C-Taper shafts, stiff;  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*, DG Wedge flex;
                  :callaway-small: Mack Daddy PM Grind, 56-60*, KBS Tour-V Wedge flex

Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette

Follow @golfspybarbajo

#2 schnergun

schnergun

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Handicap:12

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:37 AM

I love when the mail comes - you never know what's going to be in the mailbox....

Got this press release today -- I'll quote as much as is necessary:

Smash Pro Sports Launches The First Perfectly Balanced Golf Ball

A balanced ball leads to longer drivers, less sidespin, true rolling putts and lower scores.

SMASH Pro Sports announced the launch of the first perfectly balanced USGA conforming tour golf ball. Zen Tour IV and Zen Bold III's dual balanced patented technology provides more ball and spin control, longer, straight drives and true rolling putts on greens.

Using fluid dynamics, Zen golf balls are balanced and aligned to their exact center of gravity, ensuring a perfect balance when aligned to the target.

This technology alight the weight distribution of the ball, creating a perfect balance and helping the Zen ball to hold its putting line no matter where it's struck. Most golf balls contain anomalies and imperfections that make the ball spin towards the heavier side. With Zen Golf, we're confident you'll find your balance and unleash your inner pro.

"The golf ball category has become more segmented and customized in the last few years," said Mark Hodson, VP of Business Development. "When we discovered the unique performance enhancements that the Zen ball's bane and alignment deliver, we knew this ball should be on the market. Golfers will gain an edge immediately and feel the difference."

For a limited time, visit zengolfball.com to get 40% off the MSRP. this launch special is available while supplies last. All purchases are backed by the company's 100% money back guarantee.

That's what it says. Honest.

Apparently the theory is a ball that's left heavy will tend to veer left, and a ball that's right heavy will tend to veer right. I'm guessing this is similar to the theory behind those ball-balancing doohickies that were popular a few years ago, and the age old notion of putting balls into an epsom salt bath and marking the ball with a dot and seeing what happens. Here's an excerpt from Golfweek.com:

How Can I Water Balance Golf Balls?

By M.L. Rose

On the outside, a golf ball appears to be a perfect sphere, except for the dimpled surface. But there may be imperfections beneath the skin of some golf balls. Among those who’ve warned the public about these structural anomalies is golf coach Dave Pelz. In his book, “Putt Like the Pros,” Pelz (a former NASA scientist) had a putting machine strike unbalanced balls -- balls that were slightly heavier in one spot than another. Pelz states that the worst balanced balls wandered 2½ inches off course during a 10-foot putt. While some manufacturers advertise golf balls as being perfectly balanced, there’s a simple way you may test your golf balls to be sure.

Place a golf ball in lukewarm water, then add Epsom salts until the ball floats, the Life Tips website directs. Chicago Tribune golf reporter Ed Sherman notes that the test may also include “a few drops of dishwashing detergent.”

Mark the top of the ball with a felt tip pen or marker.

Hold the ball beneath the water and spin it. Note whether the marked spot rises to the top, then repeat the procedure. If different points of the ball rise to the top of the water, the ball is balanced. But if the marked spot floats to the top each time, the ball is unbalanced, according to Sherman, because the ball’s heavier side will always rotate to the bottom.

So, what do you think? Is this hooey? I'll give these balls a try and see if my game is transformed....
Can't hurt to try em! I've never thought about golf balls being balanced or not so it would be interesting to see if they produce any different results.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

#3 GolfSpy Barbajo

GolfSpy Barbajo

• Administrators
  • 6,308 posts
  • LocationPrior Lake, MN

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:39 AM

Some pics...

IMG_2920.JPG

IMG_2921.JPG

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2923.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex 440, 9.5*, weight forward, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73 shaft, stiff, tipped 1/4";  :srixon-small: Z-565, 9.5*, Miyazaki Kaula shaft, stiff

Mini Driver:   :callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini 1.5, 11*, Kuro Kage 60G shaft, stiff

FW Wood:  :ping-small: G Stretch 3, 13*, PING Alta Shaft, stiff;  :mizuno-small: JPX-900, 14*, Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution II shaft, stiff

Hybrids:  :benhogan-small: VKTR 17 & 21*, Aldila NV 85H shaft, stiff;  :srixon-small: H65, 19*, Miyazaki Kaula hybrid shaft, stiff

Irons:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6, 4-PW, DG AMT, stiff;  :benhogan-small: PTx, 25*-45*, KBS C-Taper shafts, stiff

Wedges:  :benhogan-small: Ft. Worth 15, 49-53-57-61*, KBS C-Taper shafts, stiff;  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*, DG Wedge flex;

Follow @golfspybarbajo

#4 GolfSpy Barbajo

GolfSpy Barbajo

• Administrators
  • 6,308 posts
  • LocationPrior Lake, MN

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:43 AM

Can't hurt to try em! I've never thought about golf balls being balanced or not so it would be interesting to see if they produce any different results.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

After the Costco incident, I've learned to never judge anything until I've tried it. No one would have guessed the K-Sign would be what it became until some schmuck somewhere decided to try them. My mind remains warily open...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

#5 McaseyM

McaseyM

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA
  • Handicap:20+

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:46 AM

Uh oh, can you trust a ball with a negative numbering system????

Looks interesting

What's in my bag:

Driver: :cobra-small:  Fly-Z+ 10° Aldila Tour Blue 75X
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 4 wood 16.5° Aldila RIP Σ 70X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 16-19 KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Hybrid:   :wilson_staff_small:   FG Tour M3 21° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+
Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 800 Pro 4i-PW, KBS Tour X, SS 1x
Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T11 50.05, 55.12, 60.05, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X
Putter: 35"  :wilson_staff_small:   8802

#6 burkmi08242012

burkmi08242012

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Michigan
  • Handicap:3.0

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:30 PM

Uh oh, can you trust a ball with a negative numbering system????

Looks interesting

That number I think is what you can take off your handicap since it's perfectly built to fly straight and putt straight every time 👍😁

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

#7 silver & black

silver & black

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts
  • LocationMassillon Ohio
  • Handicap:me!

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:48 PM

Are they still balanced after a few drives or bladed iron shots? Sounds interesting.... and even plausible, but I don't know as I trust them to stay balanced after a few shots.

#8 chisag

chisag

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationChicago Suburbs
  • Handicap:+.1

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:00 PM

... It was easy to take a chance on the KSig at $15 a dozen but $79 a dozen for Zen Tour IV? I think I'll stick with my 2017 Z Stars and their suspect center of gravity.  B)

Driver:   Callaway Epic 10.5* Rogue Black Tour 110 60s 

Fairway: 17.5* Aeroburner Yardbird Kuro Kage 70s

Utility:  Cobra King Utility 19* Rogue Black 85s

Hybrid: 21.5* RBZ Tour Altus 85 Hys

Irons:  5-pw Cobra King Forged Tour Recoil Prototype 95's

Wedges:  Nike Forged 48*/54*/Engage 58* bent to 59* Recoil 110s

Putter:  Bobby Grace 6330 at 33.25"

Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

#9 GolfSpy Barbajo

GolfSpy Barbajo

• Administrators
  • 6,308 posts
  • LocationPrior Lake, MN

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:39 PM

... It was easy to take a chance on the KSig at $15 a dozen but $79 a dozen for Zen Tour IV? I think I'll stick with my 2017 Z Stars and their suspect center of gravity.  B)

Where did you find the price? I couldn't find it on the website...but then again it was late, I was tired...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

#10 chisag

chisag

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationChicago Suburbs
  • Handicap:+.1

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:41 PM

... You just have to go to the Store on the website:

https://smashprospor...en-golf-tour-iv

Driver:   Callaway Epic 10.5* Rogue Black Tour 110 60s 

Fairway: 17.5* Aeroburner Yardbird Kuro Kage 70s

Utility:  Cobra King Utility 19* Rogue Black 85s

Hybrid: 21.5* RBZ Tour Altus 85 Hys

Irons:  5-pw Cobra King Forged Tour Recoil Prototype 95's

Wedges:  Nike Forged 48*/54*/Engage 58* bent to 59* Recoil 110s

Putter:  Bobby Grace 6330 at 33.25"

Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

#11 GolfSpy Barbajo

GolfSpy Barbajo

• Administrators
  • 6,308 posts
  • LocationPrior Lake, MN

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:45 PM

... You just have to go to the Store on the website:

https://smashprospor...en-golf-tour-iv

Well duh!  My bad -- thanks!!!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

#12 808nation

808nation

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,458 posts
  • LocationNorth Jersey
  • Handicap:15

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:45 PM

$79 wow!!!! No wonder they are offering 40% off your first order when you sign up.

Attached Images

• zen.PNG

WITB:

Driver:    :taylormade-small: 2017 M2, Fujikura Six XLR8 shaft, Stiff

FW Wood:    :titelist-small:  910F, Mitsubishi RAyon Diamana Kai'li 75, Stiff

Hybrids:    :nike-small: Vapor Flex 23*, Diamana S+80HY shaft, Regular       

:nike-small: Vapor Flex 19*, FUBUKI Z60X5CT shaftRegular

Irons:    :srixon-small: Z565, 5-PW, AeroTech i110 Stiff                                                    

Wedges:    :taylormade-small: R-Series EF Spin, 56 ATV grind, KBS shaft, Wedge Flex

Putter:    :scotty-cameron-1: Newport M2, 33”

Ball:  Snell MTB & Srixon Q Tour Star

Bag: Ogio Chamber 

#13 808nation

808nation

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,458 posts
  • LocationNorth Jersey
  • Handicap:15

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:57 PM

Hope the negative number makes you shoot under par

WITB:

Driver:    :taylormade-small: 2017 M2, Fujikura Six XLR8 shaft, Stiff

FW Wood:    :titelist-small:  910F, Mitsubishi RAyon Diamana Kai'li 75, Stiff

Hybrids:    :nike-small: Vapor Flex 23*, Diamana S+80HY shaft, Regular       

:nike-small: Vapor Flex 19*, FUBUKI Z60X5CT shaftRegular

Irons:    :srixon-small: Z565, 5-PW, AeroTech i110 Stiff                                                    

Wedges:    :taylormade-small: R-Series EF Spin, 56 ATV grind, KBS shaft, Wedge Flex

Putter:    :scotty-cameron-1: Newport M2, 33”

Ball:  Snell MTB & Srixon Q Tour Star

Bag: Ogio Chamber 

#14 silver & black

silver & black

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts
  • LocationMassillon Ohio
  • Handicap:me!

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:14 PM

At $79.00 it could be the most perfect ball ever made, and I would never buy them. Golf balls are already ridiculously expensive.... these are in another stratosphere. No thanks.

#15 Shankster

Shankster

AGENT NAME: FT.WORTH

• Members
  • 4,041 posts
  • LocationUnder a Bridge
  • Handicap:WX

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:16 PM

$79? For 12?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users