Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

OTG Review - Sketchers Go Golf Pro 2

OTG

After reading the My Golf Spy best spiked shoes of 2017 test results I, like many others, were surprised to see a Sketchers model as the #1 rated golf shoe. Obviously, I'd looked at Nike, Adidas and Footjoy. And I look lovingly at G/Fore shoes, but I'd never considered Sketchers. In fact, I'd never even SEEN a pair of Sketchers golf shoes before and now my most trusted golf site has rated them #1, I needed to investigate.

I went straight to Google and tried to find out where I could get them in Australia. I quickly found that Sketchers do not stock them in their stores here, or in their online store. I have no idea if this will change in the future, but a few years ago I purchased some dress shoes from a Sketchers store in Vegas that I have never seen in the Sketches store in Sydney. So they obviously run each market completely separately​.

Anyway, I found one Australian online golf retailer who stocked them. But at AUD$250!?! Ouch. I'll see how much I can get them for shipped over from the States... And, Amazon to the rescue! Got them shipped for under AUD$140. Yes thanks.

So, they arrived yesterday afternoon, so I went straight out to the course to walk a quick 9.

Initial thoughts...

Firm, snug fit. Makes your foot feel very secure. Well padded around the ankle and there's nothing that feels unusual. Just a nice comfortable sneaker fit. You can tighten the laces up nice and tight without any pinching or pressure points because the tongue is thick and very nicely padded, which assists in providing that snug fit.

As far as looks go, while I do like to be fashionable in the sneaker department (I have about 60 pairs of casual & basketball sneakers), I'm not as concerned about it on the course. I'm simply looking for something that matches my outfits color wise. So I went with the black/silver color, as I like to wear a lot of black on the course.

On the course...

They're a very stable shoe. The sole basically feels flat, much like a regular sneaker. I didn't notice any high or low areas due to the spikes, no unusual balance points. When walking, they felt "normal", for want of a better explanation.

The midsole is comfortable. It's not soft, squishy comfort like Nike Lunar or Adidas Boost, but it provides more than adequate comfort, balanced well with a feeling of solid support through the swing motion.

Speaking of swing motion, I took a few big swings and did not feel any unwanted movement from my feet. Absolutely rock solid grip. Can't fault it at all. The softspikes that come standard are more than up to the task, and as we know, soft spikes have a large offering of spikes that you can install if you're looking for something specific to suit your course conditions.

After walking 9 holes the shoes still felt good.
I didn't have to tighten the laces, or readjust during the round and I can't think of any issues had I been able to continue the back 9. I played below handicap and can't wait to get back out there again.

So, Sketchers golf shoes? OTG Approved.

Thanks My Golf​ Spy for shedding light on somewhat of a hidden gem.

IMG_20170601_160335-01.jpeg

IMG_20170601_165222.jpg

IMG_20170601_160349-01.jpeg

Srixon Z545 Driver

Cleveland Classic 5 wood

Cleveland Mashie #3 Hybrid

Srixon H45 #4 Hybrid

Srixon Z-565 irons (5-PW)

Cleveland RTX 2.0 wedges (48° & 56°)

Cleveland CBX 60° wedge

Cleveland TFi Cero putter

Srixon Z-Star XV

So, went out for another quick 9 today and noticed an issue with this shoe.

Now, maybe it is a difference in socks that made this noticable today, but there's a seem inside across the back of heel. And it just seemed to rub right on the point of my heel after about the 2nd hold today...

That's why I'm willing to give benefit of the doubt towards thinner socks today, but it was quite uncomfortable to walk, especially up hills.

I tried to take some photos that show this seem, and I will wear some nice thick socks next time and report back.

IMG_20170602_164857-01.jpeg

IMG_20170602_164908-01.jpeg

Srixon Z545 Driver

Cleveland Classic 5 wood

Srixon H45 #4 Hybrid

Cleveland CBX 60° wedge

Srixon Z-Star XV

Good review. I picked up a pair of these in the white and blue after MGS came out with their list and I've been impressed so far. I had the Footjoy Freestyles which were very comfortable but were more of a mobile shoe and I was starting to think it was hurting my game. The Sketchers are much more stable and offer the same level of comfort. I like the look of the Freestyles more but I definitely can't deny the performance I'm getting from them. My first round with them was great and I feel like I'm more consistant with my ball striking when I wear they shoes because I'm not rolling my feel as much.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I read the article as well, got me a pair and am in love!

I hope you all the best, great Review by the way!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Walked 18 yesterday. Wore some nice socks and had no issues with the heel.

The stability and grip of these shoes is the best I've ever felt, in fairness, these are only my 4th pair of golf shoes...

My only complaint is that by the 14th/15th hole, I was wishing the cushioning was a little softer. My guess is this was a balance between cushioning and stability, and stability won. I think I'll add a memory foam inner sole and it will probably be perfect.

Srixon Z545 Driver

Cleveland Classic 5 wood

Srixon H45 #4 Hybrid

Cleveland CBX 60° wedge

Srixon Z-Star XV

Archived