perseveringgolfer

chipping - help! Solved...I think

Our Sponsors

Honestly, if was a struggling golfer like described above I'd get a Square Strike club or something similar. I have a friend that recently bought one and he's seeing improvement and showing more confidence. I tried it myself and liked it quite frankly. Ok sure... I chip and pitch decently with my regular wedges, etc. But some people don't. Give a club like that a try. And besides... who gives a flip? This game is about getting the ball in the hole in as few of strokes as possible.

Let guys laugh if that want to while you're game improves. I'm a 5 hcp and wouldn't hesitate for a minute to try something that actually might help my scoring.

• Like 3

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

When I practice chipping, I really exaggerate having light grip pressure, to the extent I'm barely holding the club.

The old chipping thought of throwing the ball underarm can be helpful in relaxing grip pressure. How tight do you grip the ball if you're going to toss it gently?

Try to have fun with chipping practice, do a few stupid things to break it up. Upside down left handed, one handed, or totally unrealistic club choice can help engage the creative side of your brain.

I haven't read the book Jlukes suggested, but the title makes sense, in particular around the greens.

+1  soft hands... all great chippers of the ball have soft hands.  Tension is a killer.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

+1  soft hands... all great chippers of the ball have soft hands.  Tension is a killer.

good point, when you have water or a bunker between you and the green, or water behind the green I can bend metal with the tension in my hands lol

Combined with the Seve video above I'll concentrate on grip pressure like I'm holding a small bird

• Like 2

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Another thing to consider when practising is not being target focused. Work on feel and getting used to how the ball reacts to the club face and how the club interacts with the ground.

Build up to your target after you rebuild your feel. Less pressure on yourself (and your grip)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

:ping-small:  G400 SFT with Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods with Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:mizuno-small: MP18 MMC FliHi 4 Iron - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges 50,54,58
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

*update*

Had my 3rd TPI coach lesson today - totally changed my chipping and dispelled many 'myths' about 'slowly', 'soft hands' 'grip lightly' etc etc all things I was doing with terrible results.

lets see how it fairs on the course

• Like 2

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

well chipping was awesome yesterday, it was the only part that was, lol (see hip turn update thread)

For the first time I could think about where to land the ball as opposed to my usual thoughts which were "dont chunk or thin it" which I inevitably did ;)

The coaches advice about back in the stance (comfortable to me), grip it as hard or soft as YOU feel you need (comfortable to me), weight 60/40 on lead foot and keeping the blade at impact and beyond never ahead of the hands- think Zach Johnston finish works very well indeed.

• Like 3

Talk to me. That's one part of my game that has never failed me. I had a scratch frat brother teach me a few things when I first started playing, and have stuck with it for 30 years. Ball back, slightly open stance and clubface, hit down on ball, and hit down until club hits turf. I make slight mods for various scenarios, but those fundamentals keep me centered. Use multiple clubs and practice “string walking” (archery term). The gist is have one swing for chips but use different clubs for different distance. With the chipping motion, here are my numbers...10-15 yards LW, 15-20, SW, 20-25 PW, 25-30 9. This all depends on how much rough you have between you and the green, but these numbers assume about 5 yards. I try to keep it systematic and consistency follows. The key is to keep the same stroke and change the club for distance.

Driver: Ping G25 10.5 degrees, Tour S-flex

5 Wood - Ping G25 18 degrees, 3 wood shaft, Tour S-flex

7 Wood- Ping G25 21 degrees, Tour S-flex

Hybrid - Ping G25 23 degrees, Tour S-flex

4 iron - Ping G2, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

PW - 5 iron- Ping I3, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

56/60 degree - Ping M/B wedge, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

All with I3 gold gripsPutter - Nike Core Method Drone 44†(aka “The Assassin).

Golf Ball - Pro VI

Butch Harmon's technique for chipping is the easiest, and reduces chances for blades, heavy chips, etc. His method was in one of the last two months edition of Golf Mag/Golf Digest. Dustin Johnson also uses this method, as he's Butch's student.

For right hander, ball is in front of right foot. Shaft is pretty vertical, hands high, left wrist cocked/firm. Stance slightly open. Toe is pointing down, only the lower to edge is on the ground. Now it's just a matter of rocking the shoulders and, bingo! Soooo easy.

Changing to this method has helped me a ton. I'm more consistent, my touch is better, and I'm now more confident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Same boat here, I've been very inconsistent on my chip shot. Some great advises here

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :cobra-small: F9 driver 9* stiff shaft 

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* regular shaft

Hybrids:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex  3 & 4 hybrids regular shafts 

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Ben Hogan BHB01 blade

Ball:  :Snell: Black

Bag: 2015 Ogio Chamber Cart Bag & 2018 MyGolfSpy Stand Bag

Butch Harmon's technique for. Hopping is the easiest, and reduces chances for blades, heavy chips, etc. His method was in on of the last two months edition of Golf Mag/Golf Digest. Dustin Johnson also uses this method, as he's Butch's student.

For right hander, ball is in front of right toe. Shaft is pretty vertical, hands high, left wrist cocked/firm. Stance slightly open. Toe is pointing down, only the lower to edge is on the ground. Now it's just a matter of rocking the shoulders and, bingo! Soooo easy.

Changing to this method has helped me a ton. I'm more consistent, my touch is better, and I'm now more confident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

this is basically what I do as well.  I do find that some clubs work better that others.   I do this with lob to 5 iron depending on carry and roll needs,  but struggle a lot with the sand wedge. 

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am a great chipper. Short game is the best part of my game, although it's taken longer to come back after my lay off than the rest of my game. I played 18 Friday and Saturday and 27 today. During those 63 holes, I had at least 5 chip ins and 2 more lipped out. The guys I play with said they expect me to chip in at least once per round.

My secret, which isn't really a secret because I wrote about it here on MGS back in January of 2012.

Happy Gilmore Grip

You don't necessarily have to read that thread, I have not reread it so I'm not sure if it even applies by itself. BUT! the Happy Gilmore Grip is where you take you bottom hand and slide it down to the club end of the grip. This will break you of the tendency to "flip" or "scoop" the club.

Why do I do this?

To me for anything inside 65 yards, the distance is controlled by the body turn, not the hands. By taking this hockey style or Happy Gilmore Grip, you take the hands completely out of it. I do this sometimes to get the fell but generally my chipping and pitching grip is a 10 finger grip. Outside of 65 yards I have a normal grip, except for sand shots because while they may only go 10 yards, it is still a 65 yard swing but hits the sand not the ball. This is the only time I use a 10 Finger Grip, but I digress.

So inside of 65 yards to the flag, I first major step is club selection. The goal is to get the ball on the green as soon as possible and let it roll out.

So I look at the distance to the flag and the nearest part of the green. Club selection is determined by the carry to roll ratio.

1. LW= roll
  2. GW is carry = roll.
  3. 9 iron = 1 carry and 2 roll.
  4. 8 iron = 1 carry and 3 roll.
  5. 7 iron = 1 carry and 4 roll.
  6. 6 iron = 1 carry and 5 roll.

Example: I approach the green and see that I have about 3 times as much green as I do rough to traverse. So I grab an 8 iron. I walk by the flag on my way to the ball, and then pace off how much distance there actually is. Let's say there is 32 paces from the flag to my ball, and that there are 5 paces of rough and fringe to the edge of the green. Since I have an 8 iron with me and my number is 4, then I need to have 8 paces or carry and let it run 24 paces. So I pace back 8 paces and find a spot on the green that I want the ball to land at.

Now, I need to read the green like it was a putt from those 8 paces from the ball. Don't get too caught up with it, but it won't hurt to know where it is going. 

Adjust your aim point accordingly based on the read.

Now the most important part. FOCUS ON THE LANDING SPOT. If you were to pitch the ball under handed using your body rotation for the speed you would probably land the ball on the spot pretty easily. So imagine doing that. I even take practice imaginary tosses at that spot. As a right handed golfer, I hold the club in my left hand and go through the motions of tossing a ball under handed and while I do move my hand, I am focusing on how fast and how much to turn my shoulders.

After doing that 2 or 3 times I make practice swings with the club I only want to fly the ball to that spot. I often have (even now) have the Happy Gilmore Grip in the practice swing. This reinforces that I am not flipping the club, but hitting down on the ball and allowing the loft to fly the ball.

Then finally, I know how hard to hit the ball and know that it is going to roll, so I just take my 10 Finger Grip, set up with the ball slightly back of center, but inside the back foot, and hit the ball just hard enough to fly it to the spot on the green. Hopefully, it will fly near my spot and roll out to near the hole, or even better in the hole.

You may have noticed that I skipped the Sand Wedge and Pitching Wedge, These replace the GW depending on it being up hill or down hill.

Also, I realize that 40-65 yards off the green is more of a pitch than a chip, and obviously I use the LW for this since it has more carry than roll, but I still use the body rotation and grip in this swing provided I have some green to work with. With no green, it will be more of a flop type swing.

If you grabbed a 9 iron, and then find out you could have used an 8 then that's no big deal. You had 32 paces (I used paces rather than yards because it's the ratio that is important not the actual distance.) I simply move my aim point from 8 paces on to roughly 11. (32/9 is close to 11.)

• Like 2

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

excellent 'new' insight, thank you. I tried a 10 finger grip 2 years ago for all shots and quite liked it- doing it for chips and small pitches sounds a great idea especially as I'm a renowned flipper ( I airmailed my 3rd shot to a par 5 3 days ago, 75 yd pitch and it cleared the green and was still rising with a badly timed thin 54*)

*edit* sorry I'm not fully getting the ratio part '32/9 is close to 11' can you explain the ratio in basic 'stoopid' language pls...sorry  :wub:

So I look at the distance to the flag and the nearest part of the green. Club selection is determined by the carry to roll ratio.

1. LW= roll
  2. GW is carry = roll.
  3. 9 iron = 1 carry and 2 roll.
  4. 8 iron = 1 carry and 3 roll.
  5. 7 iron = 1 carry and 4 roll.
  6. 6 iron = 1 carry and 5 roll.

Example: ...Let's say there is 32 paces from the flag to my ball, and that there are 5 paces of rough and fringe to the edge of the green. Since I have an 8 iron with me and my number is 4, then I need to have 8 paces or carry and let it run 24 paces. So I pace back 8 paces and find a spot on the green that I want the ball to land at.

If you grabbed a 9 iron, and then find out you could have used an 8 then that's no big deal. You had 32 paces (I used paces rather than yards because it's the ratio that is important not the actual distance.) I simply move my aim point from 8 paces on to roughly 11. (32/9 is close to 11.)

I can understand your confusion because I left some words out. Oops! (32/9 is close to 11.) should have read, 32/3 because we have a 9 iron is close to 11. If we had a 7 iron then it is 32/5, but that would be 6 paces from the ball. That would be right at the edge of the green, and if you are just 1 pace short, it could get caught in the fringe.  

Any of the three clubs will work in this example, just change your aim point.

I have added the loft on my clubs, because a lot of sets are much stronger lofts. This may or may not effect your roll, but it is one of the reasons I have not moved on to distance irons. I have played clubs with the hotter face and I don't like chipping with them. They are sometimes too hot.

1. LW (60) = roll
  2. GW (52) = carry = roll.
  3. 9 iron (42) = 1 carry and 2 roll.
  4. 8 iron (38) = 1 carry and 3 roll.
  5. 7 iron (34) = 1 carry and 4 roll.
  6. 6 iron (30) = 1 carry and 5 roll.

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2