Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

Stage 1 posted! Can't wait to get started. My first round at the Level 1 training should be starting tomorrow morning! Looking forward to seeing how everyone progresses throughout the year. This is going to be a long-run review/testing period, so enjoy the journey!

It all starts here:

• Like 2

Good stage 1's so far fellas- Will be watching with interest especially if y'all gain 5mph as that equates to decent and worthwhile gains for driver speed.

I'm average 101mph, moving to 102 with a very light shaft but no control. If I can get to 106 using current equipment then I will be buying this training aid. So no pressure guys😏

Watching with interest your honest reviews.

• Like 2

This seems to be on a lot of people's wish lists for this year. I can't blame anyone for wanting more speed, my SS sits at 89, so I can use it. I can tell it's gonna take a lot of effort and I think it'll be worth it.

We've got a great group of testers here, so I'm confident you'll definitely get some honest opinions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I also completed my first protocol over the weekend and I will say I was sore yesterday. Doing so much with the non dominant side was rough. Frankly I was surprised at my SS left handed - it was clearly less than righty but better than I would have expected.

I was able to play the day after and felt fine. My on course SS was normal when I checked it on 18. So even though I was a bit sore everything worked fine.

I see that some of my fellow testers were concerned about added speed without improved ball striking and the need for different equipment.

I asked my teacher who works with pros and my fitter who does the same. Here’s a synopsis of their comments.

Teacher - looking at the warm up and protocol, this system should improve your balance which will improve your ball striking. No worries there.

Fitter - nearly all the guys I fit are using too much equipment - with an additional 5 mph the equipment that they have may just fit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

My Stage 1 is up for review by all.  I still haven't gotten the hang of this new forum format.  Why did it have to change now??

• Like 2

My Stage 1 is up for review by all.  I still haven't gotten the hang of this new forum format.  Why did it have to change now??

They love making changes when guys like us are doing reviews Kenny. It’s in the code sub paragraph 3.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

2 hours ago, revkev said:

They love making changes when guys like us are doing reviews Kenny. It’s in the code sub paragraph 3.

I promise you guys it's the same thing but looks different. Like when I change drivers thinking I'm going to get more accuracy/distance 😆

• Like 2

I’m fine with the change - you have to stay ahead. 2nd time through the protocol for me tomorrow.

Also Daisy told me that the dynamic warm up would be an ideal pre-round round warm up. I did it yesterday pre round and only hit five shots before teeing off. Piped my drive be down the middle. I practice a couple of the stretches starting last week to get ready for the start. I’m really glad that I did. That stork one is bizarre IMO.

Heat index was over 100 at 230 so I was able to do the warm up in the fitness center and then go to the range for those few shots.

Good thing. I was totally wilted by the end of the round.

• Like 2

I also completed my first protocol over the weekend and I will say I was sore yesterday. Doing so much with the non dominant side was rough. Frankly I was surprised at my SS left handed - it was clearly less than righty but better than I would have expected.

I was able to play the day after and felt fine. My on course SS was normal when I checked it on 18. So even though I was a bit sore everything worked fine.

I see that some of my fellow testers were concerned about added speed without improved ball striking and the need for different equipment.

I asked my teacher who works with pros and my fitter who does the same. Here’s a synopsis of their comments.

Teacher - looking at the warm up and protocol, this system should improve your balance which will improve your ball striking. No worries there.

Fitter - nearly all the guys I fit are using too much equipment - with an additional 5 mph the equipment that they have may just fit.

I did my first session yesterday and woke up feeling fine. Now, fast forward to the first ten minutes of work, I can feel it. Honestly I think a lot of it is from the stretching, I can definitely feel it in my shoulders.

I found my SS left handed to be a shock, too. I was consistently in the low 70's. My dominant stayed in the 90's with a high of 101. Looking forward to going at it again tomorrow.

• Like 1

Protocol number 2 in the books. 

I'm going to the club for lunch with a colleague today so will go to the range and hit a few balls just so see how that goes on a training day.  I would have lots of trouble hitting the ball well right now - about half an hour or so after the session.  It will be 130 by the time that I get to the range. though which should be enough time for recovery according to SuperSpeed.  We'll see, I just threw my Swing Caddy in the bag.

For those who are contemplating purchase I would suggest that you go into their website and start doing the dynamic warm up now.  It's a very good, golf specific warm up.  If you were to start using it for your range sessions and rounds you would be ahead of the game as some of the exercises take a few times through to master. 

I will also say that while each of my numbers improved today I have a long way to go to hit the anticipated numbers with each of the clubs - based on my initial driver SS I should be at around 108 with the light (green) club.  Again, this is exactly what Daisy told us.  She said it takes time to learn how to swing aggressively enough.  I wonder how long it will take to do the left handed step through swing without the fear of falling flat on my face? :)

• Like 3

I also finished day 2 of the first training level.  I didn't see much change in my numbers from day 1.  A few were up a little, others down slightly.  I did have a hard workout yesterday so the soreness from that may have had an effect on my numbers.

I have a feeling my biggest gains are going to come the first day of each new week when I have a few days of rest over the weekend.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 02uwmadgrad said:

I also finished day 2 of the first training level.  I didn't see much change in my numbers from day 1.  A few were up a little, others down slightly.  I did have a hard workout yesterday so the soreness from that may have had an effect on my numbers.

I have a feeling my biggest gains are going to come the first day of each new week when I have a few days of rest over the weekend.

As per any athletic training, that is exactly when you'll start to see the biggest progress.
Unless you're exercising in a very structured way, hard, daily, you'll not see benefits day-to-day, it's after the rest days where you notice the benefit the next time around.

21 minutes ago, revkev said:

Protocol number 2 in the books. 

I'm going to the club for lunch with a colleague today so will go to the range and hit a few balls just so see how that goes on a training day.  I would have lots of trouble hitting the ball well right now - about half an hour or so after the session.  It will be 130 by the time that I get to the range. though which should be enough time for recovery according to SuperSpeed.  We'll see, I just threw my Swing Caddy in the bag.

For those who are contemplating purchase I would suggest that you go into their website and start doing the dynamic warm up now.  It's a very good, golf specific warm up.  If you were to start using it for your range sessions and rounds you would be ahead of the game as some of the exercises take a few times through to master. 

I will also say that while each of my numbers improved today I have a long way to go to hit the anticipated numbers with each of the clubs - based on my initial driver SS I should be at around 108 with the light (green) club.  Again, this is exactly what Daisy told us.  She said it takes time to learn how to swing aggressively enough.  I wonder how long it will take to do the left handed step through swing without the fear of falling flat on my face? :)

Rev -  Don't say Protocol 2; we do that after 6 weeks of Protocol 1.  😉

I will be doing my second session of Protocol 1 in a couple of hours.  Comments from my first session on Sunday:

I agree that the warmup exercise is an all around good exercise for golf.  I had trouble with my balance standing on one foot.  I used to be pretty good at that years ago as I had to do that routinely in my work.  Not anymore!!  If I can improve my balance, I expect positive results on my driver swing.

For the last couple of months I have been swinging the Skilz Gold Flex (like Orange Whip) prior to playing golf as a warmup.  I've been swinging right handed and left handed.   It has made a difference, because I could never swing a club left handed.  As a result, my left handed swing speed with the SuperSpeed clubs is not all that much different than with my dominant right hand.  My biggest concern is there is a possibility that the radar unit may end up in a hundred pieces.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jon Brittan said:

As per any athletic training, that is exactly when you'll start to see the biggest progress.
Unless you're exercising in a very structured way, hard, daily, you'll not see benefits day-to-day, it's after the rest days where you notice the benefit the next time around.

I know, it's just tough to not look at all the numbers starting a new program like this and hope for immediate results.  I'm not going to be worried about my speeds until we finish the Level 1 program at 6 weeks.  Even then we'll have a long way to go with SuperSpeed.

Rev definitely hits on a great point, it's good to go ahead and start the dynamic warm-up before receiving the product. The great thing about SuperSpeed is that all the information is online.

My session 2 will be tonight after work, I just couldn't muster the motivation to go outside at three this morning and work out.

I do stand corrected Kenny - thanks for the reminder.  Session two of protocol 1 is in the books.  And I hit about 40 balls after lunch.  I had exactly three hours after my training session in between.  I am sore and the first swings were NG.  However after I got loose I hit the ball fine and I roped driver - my average SS on 5 drives with the Swing Caddy were 90 mph which is the highest average that I've had on the device to date for a series of 5 or greater.  `I should have used the radar but it was still on my back porch from my Superspeed session where as the Swing Caddy was in my golf bag.

I doubt that I could have played 18 holes this afternoon though - but remember the heat index remains well over 100 here - it's brutal - I feel for my friends coming down from CT and VT the end of the week. They are going to die in this heat. 

Sirchunksalot - I'm going to have to do evening on Thursday.  It's the reality of life for those of us that work.  Either we have to get up super early or else do after work.  Morning is not always possible.  Daisy acknowledged that and said after work is fine.  After golf or after another workout is not. 

• Like 3

You guys are something.

I loved golf, but I was never willing to work that hard for it.

That was the shear beauty of golf.

No running. No rope. No heavy bag.

Maybe 12 oz. curls once in a while.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NiftyNiblick said:

You guys are something.

I loved golf, but I was never willing to work that hard for it.

That was the shear beauty of golf.

No running. No rope. No heavy bag.

Maybe 12 oz. curls once in a while.

That's basically what I thought golf was before I started playing. Not a real "sport", no sweat, no work. 

I was used to competitive football (soccer) with miles run daily, gym daily, training sessions etc. 

Golf was for old people who couldn't manage a real sport...

Since playing I've come to appreciate the subtlety. I've played with old gentlemen who do like to play a sedate game but have such a finely tuned game they are impressive, while I've found I can move things like this type of exercise from my other sports and you really can see it as a sport you train for...

• Like 4