Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Weekend Comebacks

PlaidJacket

Today I'm starting a new topic about come-back rounds you've played. Personally I enjoy hearing these types of stories. What I'm hoping we'll see and read about are stories where you played a competitive match or round, overcame adversity and won. I know this type of topic could lead to very long tails of heroics so let's try and keep it concise. How did you win? Critical moments. Keys to your success, etc. Was it a putt or approach shot that turned the match? Did you thread the needle off the tee? Perhaps you lucked out by skipping one off the water coming to rest inches from the cup? I'll start with a simple one from yesterday....

This won't go down as one of the greatest matches of all time for sure but it was a good weekend win. Just me and another guy/friend were playing a stroke play match yesterday. We decided to gamble as we do with a simple $2 Nassau. So total exposure would be $6 if one of us swept the match and no one pressed. I ended up winning the front side 3-up as my opponent chose not to press. We made the turn and I played a four wood off the tee into the fairway on a short dog-leg par four. My opponent hit a skanker short and left off the tee. He played first and knocked it on from about 190!!. Freaking miracle LOL. Actually it was a really good shot that I didn't expect him to pull off. Me? I proceeded to hit what should have been an easy wedge on the green but instead I rinsed it after ricocheting off the top of a tree into the pond. UGH. I carded a bogie and lost the hole of course. 1-down. The next hole I missed a short 4 footer for par and lost another hole. 2-down. The next is a slight uphill par-3 playing about 185. My opponent laced a 6i to about 8'. I am rattled a bit now and it showed. I basically bladed my tee shot leaving me short of the green by about 25 yards. I couldn't get it up and down and now go 3-down on the back. On 13 I hit a fairly decent tee shot into the middle of the FW as did my opponent. I played first and missed the green well off to the right in some deep bermuda. My friend knocked it on but perhaps 20' from the pin. My pitch to the green was really good (lucky) leaving me only inches from the cup. I picked up for a courtesy par. My opponent 3 putted. I'm now 2-down. I won the next two holes with pars and evened the match going into 17. This is a short tight par 4 with water left and OB right. I striped a driver off the tee and in good position. My opponent played a FW wood and proceeded to pump it right - over the trees OB. What a break! I proceeded to hit an 8i onto the green making par. I'm 1-up going into 18 and no presses. The 18th was routine where I hit a good drive in the fairway and my opponent peeled his drive low and right into the treeline. My 6i approach found the green and I made another par and won the backside 2-up. 5-up on the match. Of course when my opponent knocked it OB on 17 I pretty much knew it was over for him. He had already started unraveling a bit leading up to that fateful shot. I think my up and down on 13 for par got to my friend as he was probably expecting to go 4-up. But his 3 putt stung him. After that I regrouped and par'd out the rest of the back 9 as he floundered. I also think I kept my cool better by brushing off previous bad shots/holes and staying focused. Afterwards I collected my 6 bucks and shared a cold beer with my friend. Good times.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Since this was such a popular topic I thought I'd add another weekend comeback comment. I'm on a roll of two! LOL

Today I made another good comeback. But this time it was slightly different somewhat. As were were getting ready to start our game the bets were being made. One guy (the guy I beat last week) didn't want to bet with me. But then I overheard him making a side bet with another player. I asked if I could get in on it... he grudgingly accepted. But.. he said it was stroke play and not a match play round. Sounds good to me. And.. he said we're playing a $5 nassau. Ok! (we normally only play for $2) Anyway... we played the front side and I lost by one stroke. On the back nine I started off weak and going into #15 I pressed as I was two down. I birdied the hole and my opponent made a double (6) thereby flipping the bet as I'm now +1 +3. I ended up paring the final three holes while my opponent made bogie, double, double and the match ended. +4 +6. I win $15. This time the "friend" huffed off the green and went and got in his car. A trunk slammer. LOL

Anyone else have a good come from behind story this weekend?

(by the way.... I also played Friday and got crushed!)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived