Jump to content
GSwag

Koepka On Pace Of Play: “Guys are already so slow it’s kind of embarrassing."

Recommended Posts

The PGA Tour is governed by the Board of Directors led by the commissioner.  The Player Advisory Council "advises" the BoD on Tour related policy.  I use the term "advises" loosely because ultimately, the BoD answer to the player and without the players, there would be no BoD.  The players have all the leverage unlike other sports who have owners who own the franchises.

The players aren't going to police themselves on this issue.  If eliminating slow play were important to the majority of guys on Tour, they would have already had the PAC do something about it!  Robert Damron had a very poignant opinion about that very fact recently on Morning Drive.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Then BK should reach out to the commissioner, who can do something about it, rather than griping about it to the media or other players...


I think he just did
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GSwag said:

 

Then according to what Brooks is saying in the above interview, if you are put on the clock you have already broken the rule.  Not my interpretation here, but a 3 time major champion saying this.  BAD is a perfect example of a player who will continue to ignore any pace of play rule, because he knows he can get away with playing slow, and will never receive a penalty for it.

Like many PGA touring pros, Brooks may not have a real detailed understanding of just exactly what the Rules say. 

Quote

"It is frustrating. There's a lot of slow players, a lot of them are kind of the very good players, too, which is kind of the problem," Koepka said. "I think it's weird how we have rules where we have to make sure it's dropping from knee height or the caddie can't be behind you and then they also have a rule where you have to hit it in 40 seconds, but that one's not enforced. You enforce some but you don't enforce the others."

The 2019 rules require that a player must not unreasonably delay play.  They  suggest but don't require that a player should hit his shot in 40 seconds or less.  The Rules say that the Committee has the authority to make additional pace of play requirements, and enforce them with penalties.  Its on the Committee, in this case the PGA Tour, to make and enforce those additional rules.  They've made the rules, which give a slow player plenty of leeway to avoid being penalized.  I can't say for sure, but I believe that the existing rules ARE enforced, they're just too lenient to do much good.

Edited by DaveP043

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Brooks for doing this. Golf has lacked this kind of transparency for years.

 

Dopey aww shucks post round interviews and awkward surface-level pressers by Tiger et al. are useless and predictable. Here’s a 3 time Major Champion on some of the most difficult course setups injecting some much needed real-talk into the forum. The guy has the credibility and the chops to speak up and call it like it is.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bens197 said:

I like Brooks for doing this. Golf has lacked this kind of transparency for years.

 

Dopey aww shucks post round interviews and awkward surface-level pressers by Tiger et al. are useless and predictable. Here’s a 3 time Major Champion on some of the most difficult course setups injecting some much needed real-talk into the forum. The guy has the credibility and the chops to speak up and call it like it is.

It's easier to speak your mind when you know you are exempt through age 60 into the PGA Championship, as well as the next 10 years into the US Open, and the next 5 years into the Masters and the Open Championship.  Winning majors and a lot of exemptions allows him to speak his mind without fear or losing his playing privileges.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It's easier to speak your mind when you know you are exempt through age 60 into the PGA Championship, as well as the next 10 years into the US Open, and the next 5 years into the Masters and the Open Championship.  Winning majors and a lot of exemptions allows him to speak his mind without fear or losing his playing privileges.


Could be. Everyone has their one “thing” however. Most successful people don’t get to where they are by throwing rocks at every dog that barks at them.

BAD just might be that dog that’s got him frustrated.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really is a simple fix and BK said it in his interview, it all boils down to ENFORCEMENT. Once that happens It will rectify itself. I am not positive but I think there has been 1 slow play penalty on PGA tour in 25 years. It baffles my mind that they know they have a problem and don't do anything about it. The USGA doesn't have particularly strong verbiage on pace of play but they do allow the committee to add penalties if necessary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

It really is a simple fix and BK said it in his interview, it all boils down to ENFORCEMENT. Once that happens It will rectify itself. I am not positive but I think there has been 1 slow play penalty on PGA tour in 25 years. It baffles my mind that they know they have a problem and don't do anything about it. The USGA doesn't have particularly strong verbiage on pace of play but they do allow the committee to add penalties if necessary

And this is where Brooks simply doesn't understand the rules.  The 40-second time that he mentions is NOT a rule, its a suggestion. And the PGA Tour functions as the Committee, and they've developed their own slow play policy.  They just have set their system up so that it takes THREE separate things to incur a penalty.  First, the group has to fall behind the group in front by  a really significant distance.  Then they get told they're on the clock.  THEN if a player exceeds the allotted time, he gets a(nother) warning.  THEN if he gets a second bad time, he might get a penalty stroke.  And that whole procedure stops if they catch back up to the group in front.  

If the players, as a group, really care, they have the power to change PGA Tour policy, to reduce the loopholes.  So far they haven't done that.

Edited by DaveP043
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GSwag said:

 

Then according to what Brooks is saying in the above interview, if you are put on the clock you have already broken the rule.  Not my interpretation here, but a 3 time major champion saying this.  BAD is a perfect example of a player who will continue to ignore any pace of play rule, because he knows he can get away with playing slow, and will never receive a penalty for it.

It depends on the reason for slow play, but based on BKs comment of the things people do for each shot the reason for slow play would be taking too long at your ball thus breaking the rule but not to the point the rule for not getting back on pace in the required time thus incurring the penalty for slow play.

BAD isn’t the only one who is slow, Spieth, Day, Na are some others

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

And this is where Brooks simply doesn't understand the rules.  The 40-second time that he mentions is NOT a rule, its a suggestion. And the PGA Tour functions as the Committee, and they've developed their own slow play policy.  They just have set their system up so that it takes THREE separate things to incur a penalty.  First, the group has to fall behind the group in front by  a really significant distance.  Then they get told they're on the clock.  THEN if a player exceeds the allotted time, he gets a(nother) warning.  THEN if he gets a second bad time, he might get a penalty stroke.  And that whole procedure stops if they catch back up to the group in front.  

If the players, as a group, really care, they have the power to change PGA Tour policy, to reduce the loopholes.  So far they haven't done that.

This is what I was getting at in my previous post.  Dave explains it better than I did!  Thanks Dave!

The PGA Tour hasn't issued a slow play penalty since 1995.  If slow play were a big issue to them, they would fix the loopholes.  They haven't and it's doubtful they will until forced to do so.  I'm not sure who will be in a position to force them other than themselves.  Jay Monahan doesn't strike me as a man that has much of a backbone.  But I could be wrong.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They need to start adding strokes to some of these players. In the course of a year you should get 10-15 time warnings after you’ve reach your limit you get a stroke per warning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was tough for everyone on Sunday at the Genesis Open.  I can understand  taking extra time under those conditions.  Seems like most everyone was guilty.  However, penalizing only two players in 24 years is the fault of the Tour.  It will take one or two times for the Tour to penalize someone to get the attention of those slow players, but that's the only way to speed up the rounds.  

I'm sure that the Tour can find a player or two to penalize in a Thursday round where the penalty has an impact on slow players, but not something that the player won't be able to overcome to make the weekend.  Just do it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Great article here. 

The slow players aren't the problem. The problem is the PGA Tour doing nothing about them 

https://www.golf.com/news/columns/2019/02/19/defending-jb-holmes-slow-play-genesis/

A huge part of the problem are the rules that the PGA Tour has developed.   If Brooks and Adam and Colt want to change things, they can start by getting themselves, and like minded players, elected to the Players Advisory Council.  If the Council wants to change the PGA Tour pace of play policy, it will get changed.  The problem, as I see it, is that they are unwilling to put a policy into effect that might result in themselves being assessed penalty strokes.  They have chosen to have a policy that makes it extremely difficult for a player to play slow enough and long enough to actually get penalty strokes.  I just don't see that happening.  In case you want to start an email campaign, the list of Council members is here:

https://www.pgatour.com/company/2019/02/07/james-hahn-kevin-kisner-player-advisory-council-co-chairmen-2019.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

A huge part of the problem are the rules that the PGA Tour has developed.   If Brooks and Adam and Colt want to change things, they can start by getting themselves, and like minded players, elected to the Players Advisory Council.  If the Council wants to change the PGA Tour pace of play policy, it will get changed.  The problem, as I see it, is that they are unwilling to put a policy into effect that might result in themselves being assessed penalty strokes.  They have chosen to have a policy that makes it extremely difficult for a player to play slow enough and long enough to actually get penalty strokes.  I just don't see that happening.  In case you want to start an email campaign, the list of Council members is here:

https://www.pgatour.com/company/2019/02/07/james-hahn-kevin-kisner-player-advisory-council-co-chairmen-2019.html

I understand the point you've made about the PAC (over and over again), but the Tour does not need the PAC's permission to properly enforce a rule that is already on the books. For that matter, the Tour doesn't need the PAC's permission to do much of anything - it's an advisory council. They advise and that's about it. The Tour has ultimate say. Sure, the PAC could help force the issue, but you'd think all the negative attention from fans, media, and individual players would be enough for them to recognize the problem and do something about it.

We're now two days removed from the Genesis and no one's discussing much about the horrible weather that effected the tournament. No one's really talking about how JT lost what was at one point a 6 shot lead on the final day (4 shots in the final round). And no one seems to care about how well J.B. Holmes was able to play in spite of declining conditions on Sunday. All anyone is really talking or writing about is slow play. You'd think that'd be enough attention for the Tour to act and yet they just don't seem to care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I understand the point you've made about the PAC (over and over again), but the Tour does not need the PAC's permission to properly enforce a rule that is already on the books. For that matter, the Tour doesn't need the PAC's permission to do much of anything - it's an advisory council. They advise and that's about it. The Tour has ultimate say. Sure, the PAC could help force the issue, but you'd think all the negative attention from fans, media, and individual players would be enough for them to recognize the problem and do something about it.

We're now two days removed from the Genesis and no one's discussing much about the horrible weather that effected the tournament. No one's really talking about how JT lost what was at one point a 6 shot lead on the final day (4 shots in the final round). And no one seems to care about how well J.B. Holmes was able to play in spite of declining conditions on Sunday. All anyone is really talking or writing about is slow play. You'd think that'd be enough attention for the Tour to act and yet they just don't seem to care.

I would agree, and this continues to be a huge failure on the Tour's part. If you look at the 4 major sports, there are rule changes almost yearly, some minor, some major. The point being that those leagues change to adapt the product we are watching to something they believe we want to see. (and yes I am generalizing and understand that the leagues are different) The PGA Tour does not do this. They cater to the players. Granted the rule structure is different with the USGA being involved but there are plenty of things that the tour can do to make the product better. A true slow play policy being the top of the list. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I would agree, and this continues to be a huge failure on the Tour's part. If you look at the 4 major sports, there are rule changes almost yearly, some minor, some major. The point being that those leagues change to adapt the product we are watching to something they believe we want to see. (and yes I am generalizing and understand that the leagues are different) The PGA Tour does not do this. They cater to the players. Granted the rule structure is different with the USGA being involved but there are plenty of things that the tour can do to make the product better. A true slow play policy being the top of the list. 

What IS the PGA Tour, besides an association of Players who play professional golf tournaments?  The PGA Tour is an organization that broke away from the PGA of America specifically to run tournaments for its members.  The PGA Tour is the players.  Yes, they hire directors, and a commissioner, and they hire officials, but the Tour is the players.  Yes, the Tour can improve both the slow play rules, and enforcement of the rules.  But their bosses, the players themselves, don't care, or resist those changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

A huge part of the problem are the rules that the PGA Tour has developed.   If Brooks and Adam and Colt want to change things, they can start by getting themselves, and like minded players, elected to the Players Advisory Council.  If the Council wants to change the PGA Tour pace of play policy, it will get changed.  The problem, as I see it, is that they are unwilling to put a policy into effect that might result in themselves being assessed penalty strokes.  They have chosen to have a policy that makes it extremely difficult for a player to play slow enough and long enough to actually get penalty strokes.  I just don't see that happening.  In case you want to start an email campaign, the list of Council members is here:

https://www.pgatour.com/company/2019/02/07/james-hahn-kevin-kisner-player-advisory-council-co-chairmen-2019.html

Keep quoting this, that's fine.  But as it is for me, I'm losing interest in televised golf, so much so that I am losing total interest in even playing the game, or keeping up with it.  Maybe I'm a nobody, who no one gives a fart about, or what I think or feel, but the only thing I can control is how I spend my time.  If these players lose enough fans, due to this sheer and utter bullsh!t, then that's on them.  I was raised on personal responsibility and owning my mistakes.  I was also raised with keeping others in mind over myself.  When I'm on the golf course the worst thing I think I can do is making someone behind me wait.  In tournament conditions it's borderline negative gamesmanship, causing your peers to lose their focus and add strokes to their scores because I am all consumed in my books and measuring air density or whatever.  It completely destroys the integrity of the game, as well as the spirit of it.  

Spirit, that's the word I was looking for all this time.  I've completely lost my spirit for the game of golf, not only because of 5 hour rounds locally, but because a collection of overpaid millionaire pros on the PGA have decided to be so selfish and greedy as to slow this game to a hault.

 

I'm out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Daily Deals

  • Sponsors

  • Our Sponsors

     
     
     

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      81,940
    • Most Online
      2,247

    Newest Member
    Rhonda
    Joined
  • Similar Content

    • By GolfSpy STUDque
      The New Year has arrived and it's time to turn our attention to the PGA Tour!  Get ready for the:
      2019 MYGOLFSPY FANTASY GOLF LEAGUE
      The MGS community lends itself to large fantasy leagues which boost the drama to nail-biting hair-pulling levels (just ask @blackngold_blood).  This will be a great opportunity to connect with fellow posters and chat about the PGA Tour all summer long.   @Berg Ryman and I will be your humble commissioners.  The format will change from last year and we're working with Fantrax to see if they can add a new option for the season/playoffs.  If that doesn't pan out, we have a plan B that we'll roll out.  Both options will be geared to maximize drama during the season and in the playoffs.
      In the meantime, it's time to start gathering players. So, who's in??
      Platform: Fantrax Buy-In: Free Draft: January 30, 2019 9:00PM EST (can be changed by popular demand) Draft Format: TBD pending league size Format: Head 2 Head - Details TBD Scoring: See Below League Size: As big as we can get while remaining even 1st Tournament: AT&T Pebble Beach - February 7, 2019 Playoffs: During FedEx Playoffs Prize:  😉   
      For returning players, the 2018 league has been renewed and all of your profiles carried over.  There's no action required from you on the Fantrax side, but please confirm your interest in this thread.  Until your name below says confirmed, you're not in the league:
      BjornsBoys Cam’s Gotta Big Putt - Confirmed Carolina Golfer 2 - 😢 GolfJunkie302 - Confirmed Jahren01 putt masters - Confirmed Low Country Hacker - Confirmed MGoBlue100 - Confirmed mpatrickriley - Confirmed Mudfish - Confirmed Rhyming Bergs - Confirmed pineapple squad - Confirmed poprocksnbirdies - Confirmed Shankster - Confirmed Stud Muffins - Confirmed tom mc - 😢 Undershooter30 - Confirmed Newly Added:
      GolfSpy Stroker GB13 bardle 02uwmadgrad TSauer cnosil blackngold_blood Apolloshowl Russtopherb Jbmullin DannyDips GeekingGolf Asef HQ Intern Kyle GolfSpy Dave 00sportsman Alanpe HardcoreLooper If you're new and would like to join for the first time, drop a comment in this thread then shoot me or Berg a PM with your email address.  We'll get an invite headed your way.
       
      For simplicity, the point values were reduced by the highest common divisible (5).  Anything that used to be worth 5 points, is now worth 1; anything that was 10, is now 2 and so on.  The scaling and weight is exactly the same as before.  The only new category is Par for 1/2 point to keep course setup from blasting our players. 

      Scoring Summary:
      Albatrosses: 4 Birdies: 2 Bogies: -1 Cuts Missed: -1 Cuts Made: 2 Double Bogies: -2 Eagles: 3 Holes In One: 4 Others: -3 Par: 1/2 Top 25: 5 Top 3: 5 Top 10: 5 Wins: 5
      In addition to expressing interest, please comment on any changes you'd like made to the scoring or format.  No promises that they'll be incorporated, but now is your chance to make recommendations.  Stay tuned for more details.  Good Luck!
       

    • By PING Apologist #9
      How about it Spies? Anyone going to be watching (after football of course...)? This is one of my favorite tournaments since it reminds me of our two trips to vacation on Oahu including just last year the week after this same event. Love Hawaii and dream daily of visiting there more in the future. Ahhhh, the sun, the surf, the drinks....sigh...
      I know we have a few spies who live there (@yungkory for one), and @SteddyGolf used to be stationed there also. Curious if anyone has ever gone to watch or even are planning to attend this year. If so, please share some pics, videos and anything related.
      Also, please share your picks and anything related to this tourney here. Me? I going with Bryson. He just looks to be in some sort of weird zone lately. Second for me is JT.
      MAHALO!
    • By downlowkey
      I'm no math whiz but that equation looks wonky and until roughly 3:00 PM EST, Sunday 8/26/18 the answer was actually "10".
       
      But after grinding out a final round (-2) 69 at The Northern Trust, Bryson Dechambeau turned it up to "Eleven" and joined the following list of professional golfers that have won 3 or more PGA Tour events before their 25th birthday over the past 30 years: Phil, Tiger, A. Scott, Sergio, A.K., Rory, Spieth, JT, Hideki, P. Reed.
       
      Of the 11 names currently occupying this list, only 3 have yet to claim a major title: A.K. - this mystery deserves further study; Hideki - it's only a matter of time; Dechambeau - the subject of this thread...
       
      Alright, I've thrown enough historical numbers at you. Let's focus the rest of this discussion on the "Mad Scientist". Love him or hate him (I personally fall somewhere in the middle), this man is playing a different game than the rest of the tour; and quirky as it may be, the stats are getting harder to ignore.
       
      FedEx Cup Rank: 1
      OWGR: 11 (how serendipitous)
      2018 Cuts - PGA Tour : 19/23 (technically adjusted for injury related WDs 21/23)
      Total Strokes Gained: 5th
       
      B.A.D. has been making history since his college tenure (5th player to hold both NCAA Championship and U.S. Amateur in the same year - Nicklaus, Woods, Phil, R. Moore) and upon turning Pro in 2016, seems hell bent on elevating his game to equally rarefied professional ranks.
       
      But how is he really getting it done? This question is the heart of the matter and what I find so intriguing. During interviews he exhibits a supreme (to the point of annoyance) confidence but just last month cameras captured the driving range meltdown reminiscent of a weekend hacker. The foundation of his game champions accuracy over length but coming down the stretch we have seen the swing science go awry with some shots that are absolutely off the map. It's now clear that the protractor wasn't his sole trump card.
       
      So let's suss it out Spies...
    • By GSwag
      Everyone complains about pace of play, and it's a seemingly never ending conversation.  And in all my years (40+) of playing golf, I have yet to have someone say to me, "I sure do like playing golf in 5 or 6 hours; the slower the better."
       
      Everyone I have ever talked to always says that they hate slow play.  Yet, once again, I found myself in the bowels of despair this weekend as I was playing in a "tournament" where both my Saturday and Sunday rounds were met with a 5 hour round, where we waited on the group in front of us on every hole and every shot.  In the defense of the group in front of us, they were waiting too, as was the group in front of them, etc, etc, etc.
       
      I emailed the tournament director about this, and as kindly as I could put it, simply said that I doubt that I would return to play with this group ever again, simply because of pace of play.
       
      I mean, pace of play is probably the most talked about subject in golf, and yet no one seems to ever be able to fix this "problem."
       
      Now, I realize that pace of play could be a subjective term as well.  Because if you give me a cart and an open course in front of me, I am done as a single in 90 minutes tops.  I grew up playing as a threesome with my Dad and my brother, and we'd finish 18 holes in 2 1/2 hours.
       
      But I'm not even suggesting those times as what anyone should realistically expect on a golf course.  But I know for a fact that the standard for pace of play on a fully loaded golf course at St. Andrews is 3:22.  See http://www.popeofslope.com/paceofplay/pace.html
       
      Is your normal round and expectation for a foresome for 18 holes about 4 hours and 30 minutes?  Is it 4 hours?
       
      I'll just end this by saying that I refuse to be the group in front of me's gallery for 18 holes.  If I have to wait on every shot, I'll quit the game first.
    • By GolfSub70
      Just wanted to share a ~1 hour interview with PGA Tour winner and Impact Zone Golf founder Bobby Clampett.  Interview covers his playing days, what he learned as a CBS announcer, then his comments on some current swings and his passion for instruction and the golf swing

      Soundcloud link - https://t.co/BvosQ344cJ 
  • Recent Topics

  • Latest from the Blog

  • Happy Birthday Today!

×
×
  • Create New...