perseveringgolfer

Lets hear your chipping tips/techniques...that work!

22 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I've struggled with this as well after reading The Short Game Bible. Now I just go purely based on feel immediately around the green and base my decision on how much carry, roll, and (arguably) spin I want/need. Further out from the green, I tend just to use my SW unless I find myself beyond its maximum distance.

I've done the same myself: I use my 58° (PM Grind) only if the situation demands something that gets up immediately, and then my 54° for everything else from chipping to full swings out to 100-ish yards.

I'll still intend to use the 54° for everything greenside.

Being able to test with the SkyTrak will determine whether I take the Pelz system to the course this spring. If I can consistently hit stock yardages with specific swings, it's worth it. But if the distances don't slot perfectly, there's no point at all in bringing it to the course.

• Like 1

Grab James Sieckmann's Your Short Game Solution.

All the wisdom of Pelz (He even taught under Pelz) boiled down to a much simpler system that feels very natural. Short book too.

Sounds like you are moving your lower body a lot on your chips.

I second this! Great book, helped me alot.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, palvord said:

Learning my 3 distances per wedge is my current challenge.  Right now I have my top end distance and 50% swing distance.  Figuring out the 75% swing is my current challenge.

@perseveringgolfer, is there a reason that you don't want to go with the, "chipping with a 6-iron technique?"  I find that grabbing my 7-iron and using a putting motion keeps me from making worse mistakes if I am having a struggle with wedges around the green.

thick wet fringes, bunkers in the way, very soft and unpredictable bounces close to the green, undulating green needing to fly the ball past the undulation etc etc it does work great on links courses though.

7 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

This quick youtube video from the "Professor" might work for you. Also I'd setup a video next time you're out practicing. I found that sometimes what we think is happening with our bodies (movements, stance, etc) is not necessarily what's occurring.. 

This is what helped me. I watched all the short game videos and then went and played in a tournament. After chipping in on 2 holes in a row, I got that feeling that the 3 other guys were expecting it on every other hole I had the chance to chip on after that, but it was like I had completely forgotten how to chip after those 2 holes and it was horrible the rest of the day.

Edit: Another one that helped was "The Truth About Golf" by AJ Bonar. He said that your PW should fly half way and roll the other half, Lob Wedge should fly 75% and roll 25%, and 6-iron should fly 25% and roll 75%. I still use the 6-iron 75/25 method when I have a lot of green to work with. But I mostly just use my 60 degree around the greens and in the sand.

Edited by M. Parsons
More info
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

thick wet fringes, bunkers in the way, very soft and unpredictable bounces close to the green, undulating green needing to fly the ball past the undulation etc etc it does work great on links courses though.

Makes complete sense. Thank you for the clarification.

Best of luck in your search for the best swing for you.

• Like 1

If you don't have time or feel like changing or analyzing your chipping motion try this...

1) Take a few practice chip swings.
2) Wherever you brushed the grass is the lowest part of your swing.
3) Make sure the ball is in that low point on the real swing.

I find that mentality takes the mechanics out of chipping and makes it more about shot making.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, chemclub said:

If you don't have time or feel like changing or analyzing your chipping motion try this...

1) Take a few practice chip swings.
2) Wherever you brushed the grass is the lowest part of your swing.
3) Make sure the ball is in that low point on the real swing.

I find that mentality takes the mechanics out of chipping and makes it more about shot making.

When I am struggling getting the feeling of my chips or pitches, I take the same approach as my putting.  I will do the same preshot routine as putting, taking the exact practice strokes and time over the ball, etc.  This helps me take my mind out of the shot and try to alleviate the pressure I put on myself of the shot itself.  Technique is critical but in the middle of the round when I need to "take a breath and step back" to slow things down, this helps keep my head out of my way.  

• Like 3

Read Stan Utley’s book - so much simpler than Phil/Pelz.

But keeping feet close together, a little open, weight on left side and lots of practice works.

That and pick a ball, any quality ball and use only it - different balls are a variable

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

25 minutes ago, revkev said:

Read Stan Utley’s book - so much simpler than Phil/Pelz.

But keeping feet close together, a little open, weight on left side and lots of practice works.

That and pick a ball, any quality ball and use only it - different balls are a variable

OK, why a little open?

In Phil's video he did not say anything about an open stance.  It doesn't look like he was open.  Neither did Butch in the article posted by @PMookie.  I have always been told to open my stance by my instructors over the years.  I stopped doing this because most of my chips went left of the hole, down my foot line.  When I stand closer to the ball like Harmon says and treat it more like a putt, I need to be square.  Much better results.

I agree about the ball.  I switch balls from cold weather to warm weather.  It takes me a couple of practices chipping to get the feel of the different ball.  From the looks of the weather I will be using the cold weather ball for quite awhile once the snow melts.

• Like 1

Kenny, a couple thing I work on:

So your clubface should point at your target. And then swing along your foot line.

Make sure to open the face then regrip if you are going to do it this way.

Opening steepens the swing, so in theory it should help with ball first contact.

At least this is how my mind sees it. I can do it all day long, but trying to explain it is like me trying to do common core math.

• Haha 1

I’ll post the video again. But you can absolutely not go wrong with learning from one of the best short game players of all time.

• Love 1

There are a lot of GREAT tips in here, but ..... none say, "Go see your pro".... Many pros offer focused short game clinics.

That said.. I'd agree with many of the pointers in here - especially the one about Low-Point Control. And taking the hands out.

I've practiced my short game A LOT and it has paid off. That's the best advice I can offer .. practice, practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more. Hours and hundreds, if not thousands, of balls. 

Indoors works. Just focus. Hit enough balls and you will start to clearly recognize the difference between a solid "nip" vs a chunk or a thin.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Since you struggle, and want a simple tip or trick. Then keep it simple, if you are chipping, grab either a gap wedge, or PW, stand a bit closer to the ball so the shaft is more upright, with the heel of the club slightly off the ground, and then just use a putting stroke and you control the distance the same way you do when putting. Don’t overthink it just putt it with your wedge. Very simple technique. Stance should be square just like putting. 

Edited by Kor.A.Door
  • Like 1

OK, why a little open?
In Phil's video he did not say anything about an open stance.  It doesn't look like he was open.  Neither did Butch in the article posted by [mention=2567]PMookie[/mention].  I have always been told to open my stance by my instructors over the years.  I stopped doing this because most of my chips went left of the hole, down my foot line.  When I stand closer to the ball like Harmon says and treat it more like a putt, I need to be square.  Much better results.
I agree about the ball.  I switch balls from cold weather to warm weather.  It takes me a couple of practices chipping to get the feel of the different ball.  From the looks of the weather I will be using the cold weather ball for quite awhile once the snow melts.

Because it causes you to face the target - the little open thing. You become target.

I have no problem with switching balls for the season of the year - that makes sense - I’m talking about generally playing the same ball.

I’m not big on copying Phil, he’s incredibly gifted, most guys on tour can’t do what he does. Likewise Seve who was brilliant.

Simple, think simple and practice, it’s do easy to practice the short game.

• Like 3

Best tip I ever got, and it works many days, but not all, 'cause it's mental.  Assuming you have a basically sound technique, go up to your ball and remember that your subconscious is a lot better chipper (and golfer) than your conscious.  Just pick a spot where you want your ball to hit and let your subconscious do the work.  Steph Curry surely is not thinking any mechanics or calculating force and relative arc when he lets fly from 30 ft.  When I can get into this mindset, good things happen.  Sadly, there are many days where that mindset is totally elusive. Practice sessions focused solely on this mindset definitely help.  

• Like 1

I'm going to take a simpler approach here. As a 6 handicap, you CAN chip, you are just having a mental block. Just always remember to not rush the club to the ball. This will allow your natural technique to stay consistent and take any "hit" out of the chip. Take your time while swinging, let the club get to the ball, don't get the club to the ball. Relax while chipping. Tell yourself that you are a good chipper, and you will improve. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, GB13 said:

I'm going to take a simpler approach here. As a 6 handicap, you CAN chip, you are just having a mental block. Just always remember to not rush the club to the ball. This will allow your natural technique to stay consistent and take any "hit" out of the chip. Take your time while swinging, let the club get to the ball, don't get the club to the ball. Relax while chipping. Tell yourself that you are a good chipper, and you will improve. 

This is a good reference.  Feel the weight of the club head in the swing and let it do the work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, revkev said:

Because it causes you to face the target - the little open thing. You become target.

I don't face the target on a full shot; the chip/pitch shot is just a smaller version of the full shot.  I work on my full shot, but when I get up to the green, I'm supposed to set up left but not swing left?  For me that introduces error in my swing.  The ball will go left.  I had been doing that for 10 years as that was what my swing coach said to do.  Not sure why it took me so long to change, other than I wanted to do it like most golfers do.

I guess some of us are ab normal.  Do what works.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1