Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

39 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

TaylorMade may not cut corners but they don’t own the whole process.

I’m not sure anyone said all Bridgestone tour balls are the same as retail but that tiger’s ball is the same as retail. Also not every pro is playing a special ball or unique to just them. 

i should have specified the BX and BXS......is it just the BXS? That would be kind of strange.....

Golf is cool

I did see this post from TM from a year ago....

Re: TP5x ball retail vs tour

‎05-21-2018 10:12 AM

"All of our TP5/TP5x golf balls come out of our ball plant in South Carolina which is where our consumer TP5/TP5x golf balls come from as well. The Tour balls come from the same line that produces the consumer balls, they just go through more rigorous testing to ensure they are 100% compliant with Tour equipment standards (99.9% of them are). From there we place the athlete's preference of number and alignment aid. 

Pulling tour balls from production is actually more of a rarity in the industry and some competitors have a specific production line for their tour product."

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf

Golf is cool

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

i should have specified the BX and BXS......is it just the BXS? That would be kind of strange.....

Cheyenne Woods uses the RX and the rest of their staff use either BX or BXs.  Srixon I think is the only brand that has said their retail balls are the same as what their tour players use. The rest of the brands don’t state what version of ball their tour staff uses one would have to catch a glimpse of the marking on tv. Titleist won’t confirm if a player is using the current year or a previous year. Stacy Lewis left titleist In 2015 when they told her they were going to stop making the 2009 model.

its great marketing for Bridgestone to confirm tiger uses the same ball that consumers can buy.

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

I did see this post from TM from a year ago....

Re: TP5x ball retail vs tour

‎05-21-2018 10:12 AM

"All of our TP5/TP5x golf balls come out of our ball plant in South Carolina which is where our consumer TP5/TP5x golf balls come from as well. The Tour balls come from the same line that produces the consumer balls, they just go through more rigorous testing to ensure they are 100% compliant with Tour equipment standards (99.9% of them are). From there we place the athlete's preference of number and alignment aid. 

Pulling tour balls from production is actually more of a rarity in the industry and some competitors have a specific production line for their tour product."

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf

Unlike Bridgestone, Srixon and Titleist this is the only part of the process that TM owns

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Maybe you launch too high with too little spin. Don’t know what to tell you that everyone is different and you have to buy the balls to see how they work for your swing.

If you want to verify what you are seeing and try to optimize you can use a site like this: https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

I hit the XV the farthest driver carry distance of the three balls. Average ball speed was 168, launch was 12.3*, and average spin was 1845.

I launched the Kirkland lower and had more spin, so it didn’t surprise me that it went shorter on driver carry than the XV, that’s what I would expect would happen.

What I can’t figure is how the Kirkland carried farther with the robot than the XV, when the ball speed and launch were lower (with the robot as well). Spin was also higher with the robot.

I get that everyone is different, thus the need to try different products. It just is so strange to me to match up on pretty much every category but driver carry distance, even if I missed the center of the club a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

16 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

I hit the XV the farthest driver carry distance of the three balls. Average ball speed was 168, launch was 12.3*, and average spin was 1845.

I launched the Kirkland lower and had more spin, so it didn’t surprise me that it went shorter on driver carry than the XV, that’s what I would expect would happen.

What I can’t figure is how the Kirkland carried farther with the robot than the XV, when the ball speed and launch were lower (with the robot as well). Spin was also higher with the robot.

I get that everyone is different, thus the need to try different products. It just is so strange to me to match up on pretty much every category but driver carry distance, even if I missed the center of the club a bit.

Don't obsess over distance differences that are only a couple of yards. This was outside and even if it was a mostly still day, wind and atmospheric effects can still have some differences. The XV launched at a steeper angle with more speed, which generally means it is going to peak higher, where any wind might effect it more. Those two balls are so close to each other off the driver though that you shouldn't even be considering using driver numbers to pick them.

Ping Traverse
King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60
TEE E8 4W, 7W
Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
TEE CB PROs 60*
Scotty Cameron Squareback

If you want to verify what you are seeing and try to optimize you can use a site like this: https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

I just got through inputting the MGS Golf Ball test averages into the flight scope trajectory program.  The program, using these figures, supports my theory and my test results on GC2.  It also aligns with the 'soft = slow' logic, as the Q-Star is the lowest compression of the 4 balls.  Here is what the program has the average carry as being for each ball (based upon the MGS averages data):

Q-Star Tour: 278.9yds

1690952483_Q-StarTourDrMGSaverages-resize.jpg.07a0ee92691bcd6ae80288c59bd55b75.jpg

Kirkland: 279.9yds

1842342039_KirklandDrMGSaverages-resize.jpg.a7519aad50a93985c9edac2abfd43aa5.jpg

Z-Star: 281.4yds

1791444745_Z-StarDrMGSaveragesresize.jpg.615a54b3c8a0706d5959c084f5b251f9.jpg

XV: 285.6yds

1145413653_XVDrMGSaveragesresize.jpg.cd3b68373608e1c6647551b2ae1ad151.jpg

While the figures do not match what I got on GC2 for my own data or what MGS has, the point I'm making is that higher launch, lower spin, faster ball speed seems to equal longer carry at higher swing speeds, so I just don't know how the Q-Star Tour and Kirkland carried farther than XV in the MGS robot test.

I'll drop it now and go sit in my closet with my tin foil cap! LOL

Edited by ChasingScratch
Updated averages at altitude

WITB:

10 minutes ago, arbeck said:

Don't obsess over distance differences that are only a couple of yards. This was outside and even if it was a mostly still day, wind and atmospheric effects can still have some differences. The XV launched at a steeper angle with more speed, which generally means it is going to peak higher, where any wind might effect it more. Those two balls are so close to each other off the driver though that you shouldn't even be considering using driver numbers to pick them.

I hear you and agree to a point, but the scientist within me just can't settle it in my logical mind! LOL

Thanks for your input.  It goes a long way in my book when members take the time to respond to each other.

WITB:

49 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Cheyenne Woods uses the RX and the rest of their staff use either BX or BXs.  Srixon I think is the only brand that has said their retail balls are the same as what their tour players use. The rest of the brands don’t state what version of ball their tour staff uses one would have to catch a glimpse of the marking on tv. Titleist won’t confirm if a player is using the current year or a previous year. Stacy Lewis left titleist In 2015 when they told her they were going to stop making the 2009 model.

its great marketing for Bridgestone to confirm tiger uses the same ball that consumers can buy.

Unlike Bridgestone, Srixon and Titleist this is the only part of the process that TM owns

TM built a nice plant so I'm shocked they do not own more of the process...or want to.  Importing 2/3rds of the parts without oversight is not a great practice.

Golf is cool

9 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

Please forgive me if this has already been answered in the 900+ previous replies (if it has, just say so and I'll go look for it).

I am testing the Z-Star and XV as an official reviewer right now.  While I'm no robot, my results have been spot on for every thing except one:  driver carry distance.  Every other metric matches up for me as a high swing speed player with the MGS test (e.g., wedge spin, carry for 7iron, ball speed with driver, etc.).

It would seem to me that the XV should produce the farthest driver carry distances (as it did in my test on GC2).  It launches the highest, has the least amount of spin, and the highest ball speed and compression.  That is all a formula for greater carry distance is it not?  In my test, the XV went the farthest, followed by the Z-Star, and lastly the Kirkland 3-piece (again, spin, launch, speed should = these results, unless I'm totally off base).  

However, the official MGS ball test had the Kirkland carrying farthest of these balls, followed by the Q-star (lowest compression of the 4 balls discussed here), then the XV and Z-star......... what gives???  Was the XV that inconsistent with distance?  It was tighter in carry std dev than the Kirkland and Q-Star tour.  If soft=slow, then why is the Q-Star tour out carrying a ball that is 30 compression points higher with a robot???

I'm baffled (could be that it is after midnight.....).  In other news, I'm impressed with some of my own std deviations when compared to a robot.  As the new direction MGS is going with the wild inconsistencies in ball tolerances, if a robot can't hit a ball consistently online or the same distance, we got no shot! LOL

what is your swing speed? The testing all plays out, the slower the swing, the closer the balls are in performance...including the soft slow balls....

Golf is cool

1 minute ago, Tsecor said:

TM built a nice plant so I'm shocked they do not own more of the process...or want to.  Importing 2/3rds of the parts without oversight is not a great practice.

Building or buying plants to own the entire process is pretty expensive and might only improve 1 out of 100 balls in the worst case scenario (they seem to imply it's more like 1 out of 1000). A regular golfer is never going to notice if that few balls are out of spec.

Ping Traverse
TEE E8 4W, 7W
TEE CB PROs 60*

14 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

I just got through inputting the MGS Golf Ball test averages into the flight scope trajectory program.  The program, using these figures, supports my theory and my test results on GC2.  It also aligns with the 'soft = slow' logic, as the Q-Star is the lowest compression of the 4 balls.  Here is what the program has the average carry as being for each ball (based upon the MGS averages data):

Q-Star Tour: 275.4yds

149516101_Q-StarTourDrMGSaverages-resize.jpg.07cc9261530222df739ebd5234b80859.jpg

Kirkland: 275.6yds

319539142_KirklandDrMGSaveragesresize.jpg.e0de8235e742a620f02c52d7917292f7.jpg

Z-Star: 277.7yds

1117340452_Z-StarDrMGSaveragesresize.jpg.9eeeb348950ccfa1ea8d0da13d190a7f.jpg

XV: 281.7yds

1882358346_XVDrMGSaveragesresize.jpg.c447f64f7e81635cb43eb7355c119555.jpg

While the figures do not match what I got on GC2 for my own data or what MGS has, the point I'm making is that higher launch, lower spin, faster ball speed seems to equal longer carry at higher swing speeds, so I just don't know how the Q-Star Tour and Kirkland carried farther than XV.

I'll drop it now and go sit in my closet with my tin foil cap! LOL

Careful when you enter the altitude. The altitude is your elevation above sea level, not peak height. The program will calculate the peak height for you.

Hcp: 15

Swing speed: 125-130

2017 M1 440 9.5° (7.5°) -  Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 125 70TX tipped 1"

SLDR 3 wood 13° - Motore Speeder 757 X

RSI UDI 2 iron 18° - Sppeder HB 9.8 X

RSI 2 4-7 IRON DG X100

RSI TP 8-PW DG X100

VOKEY SM7 50, 54, 58

Bridgestone Tour B X

Wilson Staff Infinite Windy City Putter

9 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

what is your swing speed? The testing all plays out, the slower the swing, the closer the balls are in performance...including the soft slow balls....

Whenever I'm on GC2 with HMT or GCQ, I can be from 110-115mph with driver.

WITB:

10 minutes ago, DJLookalike said:

Careful when you enter the altitude. The altitude is your elevation above sea level, not peak height. The program will calculate the peak height for you.

Ahhhhh, let me refigure those then.

WITB:

Just now, ChasingScratch said:

Ahhhhh, let me refigure those then.

At that low of altitude you have entered, shouldn't really change anything. I usually enter 1000 in there as a standard.

RSI 2 4-7 IRON DG X100

RSI TP 8-PW DG X100

VOKEY SM7 50, 54, 58

Bridgestone Tour B X

2 minutes ago, DJLookalike said:

At that low of altitude you have entered, shouldn't really change anything. I usually enter 1000 in there as a standard.

I just set all to 0 and it changed just a few decimal points.  I'll try 1,000.

WITB:

13 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

Whenever I'm on GC2 with HMT or GCQ, I can be from 110-115mph with driver.

well, obviously you hit the ball very well, but you are not a robot :)   some of the data is off significantly when it comes to "golf data sets" but in real world scenarios on the course, it means almost nothing. Possibly 1 club difference, but  more like a 1/2 club

Golf is cool

1000 as standard???? Sea level should be standard, the city I live in is 14.76 feet. I think we need to start qualifying distance numbers with sea level qualification.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

27 minutes ago, arbeck said:

Building or buying plants to own the entire process is pretty expensive and might only improve 1 out of 100 balls in the worst case scenario (they seem to imply it's more like 1 out of 1000). A regular golfer is never going to notice if that few balls are out of spec.

i think MGS is actually proving this is be very inaccurate. That's the whole point of the ball testing they are doing.  That mindset may turn out to be old school thinking.

Golf is cool

1 minute ago, Tsecor said:

well, obviously you hit the ball very well, but you are not a robot 🙂 some of the data is off significantly when it comes to "golf data sets" but in real world scenarios on the course, it means almost nothing. Possibly 1 club difference, but  more like a 1/2 club

Word!!  I struggle hitting driver in a simulator, but on the course I hit it pretty consistent.  What I've found, and what I've had my fitter tell me, is that launch monitors over exaggerate hook spin.  So when you're hitting driver on a launch monitor, it looks like you're hooking off the planet, but when you take it outside, it doesn't look near as bad.  I was fit once on a Trackman (indoors) and was hitting 30yd hooks.  We went outside, baby draws that fell left.  Crazy.

WITB:

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

1000 as standard???? Sea level should be standard, the city I live in is 14.76 feet. I think we need to start qualifying distance numbers with sea level qualification. emoji12.png

I used both 0 and 1,000 to compare.  At 1,000 yes the numbers jump up a few yards, but the pattern is consistent regardless, Q-star = shortest, followed by Kirkland, then Z-Star, finally XV is the longest (which is what I would expect).

WITB:

26 minutes ago, cnosil said:

1000 as standard???? Sea level should be standard, the city I live in is 14.76 feet. I think we need to start qualifying distance numbers with sea level qualification. emoji12.png

Well I play in Minnesota, so that's my standard

RSI 2 4-7 IRON DG X100

RSI TP 8-PW DG X100

VOKEY SM7 50, 54, 58

Bridgestone Tour B X

36 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

i think MGS is actually proving this is be very inaccurate. That's the whole point of the ball testing they are doing.  That mindset may turn out to be old school thinking.

It might effect our scores, but we'd never know. If 1 out of 100 balls hooks into the trees, I'm not going to blame the ball, I'll blame my swing. It's probably lost and the next ball will be fine. As long as no one knew the number of bad balls and it was too small for a single golfer to notice it didn't hurt their brand. that may be changing though.

Ping Traverse
TEE E8 4W, 7W
TEE CB PROs 60*

I am really loving this discussion right now as I am sitting here at work just wasting time until I get to tee of with my foursome at 5:30!!!

WITB 2019

Driver: :taylormade-small:Taylormade M2 8.5 w/ Xstiff Aldila RIP Beta shaft

2 Iron: :taylormade-small:Talormade P790 UDI 17 degree w/ Hazardus Xstiff driver shaft

4-PW: :taylormade-small:Taylormade PSI iron w/ KBS C-taper stiff iron shafts

52 degree: :cleveland-small:Cleveland RTX 3

56 degree: :callaway-small:Callaway Mac Daddy 4

60 degree-::taylormade-small:Taylormade milled grind

Putter: :cameron-small:Scotty Cameron Dual Balance X5

Ball::titelist-small:ProV1x

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

Quality goes down the further one gets from the whole process is what they talked about in the latest video. 

Its also more than just the process of constructing the ball that comes into play, the qc process is just as big.  The number of people titleist employees just in the ball department is staggering. Iirc it’s at least double what Callaway has. They also have 90 different checks for the prov1 and 120 for the prov1x.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, arbeck said:

It might effect our scores, but we'd never know. If 1 out of 100 balls hooks into the trees, I'm not going to blame the ball, I'll blame my swing. It's probably lost and the next ball will be fine. As long as no one knew the number of bad balls and it was too small for a single golfer to notice it didn't hurt their brand. that may be changing though.

agreed....but if you listen to their video, they are saying the issue may be more widespread than anyone realizes....off center cores WILL cause you to hit it off target.  We'll have to wait and see what comes out of this test. It COULD be a HUGE industry shaking test for all manufacturers outside of Bridgestone, Srixon and Titleist.....we'll have to wait and see

Golf is cool

agreed....but if you listen to their video, they are saying the issue may be more widespread than anyone realizes....off center cores WILL cause you to hit it off target.  We'll have to wait and see what comes out of this test. It COULD be a HUGE industry shaking test for all manufacturers outside of Bridgestone, Srixon and Titleist.....we'll have to wait and see

Thus my concerns about range practice. Best we can do on the range is foot spray for center contact. If the problem with game balls is bad, just imagine the range balls! Lol

WITB:

15 minutes ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

So does anyone know of a place online that sells 3 ball sleeves?  I can't find any and I would love to try out the different tour balls, but I hate the thought of spending $40+ per dozen just to "try it out".

Check with golf courses some sell 3 packs 

6 hours ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

So does anyone know of a place online that sells 3 ball sleeves?  I can't find any and I would love to try out the different tour balls, but I hate the thought of spending $40+ per dozen just to "try it out".

PGA superstore sells 3 ball packs

Golf is cool

15 hours ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

You can usually get just about any sleeve of balls on ebay.  

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour