txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

4 minutes ago, Shankster said:

But it looks like a soccer ball. Surely the robot can process that?

Does the robot have a foot wedge?

Does the robot have a foot wedge?

No but it swings exactly the same with one brand as it does the others...
  • Like 1

Just now, Shankster said:

No but it swings exactly the same with one brand as it does the others... emoji848.png

Hmmmm likely story 🤨

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shankster said:

“Our balls don’t perform well with Robots”... emoji57.png

Is the next generation of "artificial intelligence" the ability to be impregnated by humans?

Oh, wait, were still talking about golf!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Shankster said:

No but it swings exactly the same with one brand as it does the others... emoji848.png

But what club and shaft were used? Was the shaft tip stiff? What is pured? When was the last time it was calibrated? 😃

• Like 3

But what club and shaft were used? Was the shaft tip stiff? What is pured? When was the last time it was calibrated?

The same for every ball hit I imagine.

The ball don’t care how stiff the tip is does it? 🤭

True story: I was once blocked on Twitter by mygolfspy after "defending" callaway over the the 2014 most wanted driver results 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, jlukes said:

True story: I was once blocked on Twitter by mygolfspy after "defending" callaway over the the 2014 most wanted driver results 

Don't worry, if I had Twitter I'd block you for your sane  and calm responses. Twitter is no place for that kind of collaboration. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mr.hicksta said:

@Kor.A.Door - I agree 100% that if someone is playing a ball that didn't perform well in the test, but they're comfortable with it, then they shouldn't switch it up just because of the MGS Ball Test. And I also agree that had any of the other major manufacturers been in Callaway's spot, they would've responded similarly. And to be honest, I'm guilty of not giving golf balls enough time before moving on, but no more! The Pro V1x are my ride or die from here on out!

Having more time to digest the results of the test and see some of the reactions around the interwebz, I have a greater appreciation for what MGS achieved here. MGS should be proud of the test as it covered a lot of ground, and despite some of the criticism, I haven't read a thing suggesting they're saying the test is the 'end all, be all' or anything of the sort. Ultimately, I think what the test represents is an EXCELLENT starting point for anyone looking for a reason to try a different ball. Is it an advertisement for Snell? Nope. Any company would've gotten an influx in traffic and possibly orders if they occupied the top spot. Alternatively, it's also not indictment on golf balls that didn't perform that well. I believe this because a lot of amateurs are going to play what they're comfortable with anyway especially if they believe a certain ball 'does everything they need it to'. 

I think the most important thing achieved by this test is it encourages you to take a deeper look when selecting a golf ball. Because as most of you know, we're blitzed by advertising suggesting something that may not be true (soft is FAST! 😜). For those of us who want to perform our best on the course, being able to dig a little deeper and perhaps try a ball you normally wouldn't can make a difference! 

I guess you liked the V1x on the maiden voyage?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I guess you liked the V1x on the maiden voyage?

For sure, it was a bright spot on the round. Held up very well, too! 

Has anyone had any durability issues with the Prov1X new model compared to the previous version? I have noticed more shaving than previously. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Has anyone had any durability issues with the Prov1X new model compared to the previous version? I have noticed more shaving than previously. 

Yeah a little. It's not a problem for me except on bunker shots, but I've noticed some shaving on greenside bunker shots. 

Edit: still totally playable though. 

Edited by GB13
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Yeah a little. It's not a problem for me except on bunker shots, but I've noticed some shaving on greenside bunker shots. 

Edit: still totally playable though. 

Yes still playable but a noticeable difference from previous versions. And yes they are still playable, I have only had one that I had to take out of play during round and it was from a fairway bunker. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

hmmm, well that's not good, seems from the responses that it may be a problem. Most expensive ball and they scuffing problems.

7 minutes ago, WalterS said:

hmmm, well that's not good, seems from the responses that it may be a problem. Most expensive ball and they scuffing problems.

It is not a problem yet, as the balls are still playable. Just something I noticed in the 2 model years. 

Here we go.....IMG_20190506_181111.thumb.jpg.c07969217b33e579293e2ee741d4fcf3.jpg
I'm looking forward to try those against my gamer the B XS.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

From what I gathered MGS rated the Vice Pro as being only "Good" because of the inconsistencies in compression ratings from ball to ball. It's also possible they may have had a couple wild card balls that were low quality and flew considerably offline, but the dispersion data makes that seem unlikely. I could also see how the Vice Pro might be less durable than other balls, but not considerably so in my own experience. I just switched back to the Vice Pro after giving the Snell MTB-Black a go last season. Both are great balls, but there is a feel difference to me which is why I went back. It also didn't hurt that I got a great deal on 5 doz. for $25/ea + 1 free dozen last month on a special they were having.

Ive gone through the std devs and I really can't see anything bad, maybe it cuts up a bit more than the others as you mentioned

3 hours ago, jlukes said:

That's hilarious.  Of course I know 2014 was on the heels of the OGD!  So one couldn't blame you for your enthusiasm.

Now you've come full circle.  

I still haven’t decided what route to go: Pro V1X, or TOUR B X.... Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro