Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Dave's Take: Attending The 2019 US Open

GolfSpy Dave

Great read! That had to be so cool to be there live, and was a great open to watch. Tacooo cheeeese! 😉

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

Great read!... and I couldn't agree with you more about Woodland. He's a high character guy that took/takes time to be kind and make a difference in a young woman's life.

We need a lot more like him in the world. He won a new fan in me. 

Wow!  Awesome writeup @GolfSpy Dave !  

I attended the former Deutsche Bank tourney in MA years ago and Tiger was playing and the eloquently stated "Tigersurge" is quite a sight to behold.  We wanted to see him hit a tee shot so we went 3 holes ahead and camped out by the tee box and waited and you could just see the mass moving in an amoeba like fashion and it just envelopes you.  It is amazing - mind boggling even - to think how well he plays with these gigantic crowds everywhere he goes.

A couple of things that stood out and I'm glad you confirmed - 
the idiots that shout stuff... I just don't get it.  I really don't.  I understand cheering for a good shot but the ridiculous inane sophomoric chants are ruining it. I heard plenty of it watching on television and I'm sure there was even more in person....someone needs to put a stop to this.

the weather....too bad about the marine layer; growing up on the west coast in OR I experienced plenty of it and I remember how gloomy and gray it can be when it just sits on top and barely moves; they tried to brighten it up on the telecast but it's a shame.  In the sunlight that course is absolutely spectacular, sparkles like a brilliant diamond... with the ocean waves crashing and green fairways and cypress trees; I feel like we were robbed.

Finally - interesting to hear your take on in-person vs on television and the few events I've been to I couldn't agree more. It really is awesome to see these guys in person and watch how fast they swing the club and hear and see what a purely struck shot looks like but if you want to watch the tournament - the entire thing - I would do exactly what you did and watch the final round at home on the high def big screen.

Hopefully the sun makes an appearance at Torrey in 2021 because that course is just as much eye-candy as Pebble!

BTW - how'd you end up with a media badge?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Fun stuff Dave - thanks for sharing! My only Open was in '88 at Brookline, and spent my weekend in the media tent filing reports - missed a lot of great golf. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

1 minute ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Fun stuff Dave - thanks for sharing! My only Open was in '88 at Brookline, and spent my weekend in the media tent filing reports - missed a lot of great golf. 

Let's make a date @GolfSpy Barbajo  !

In 2022, the U.S. Open returns to The Country Club in Brookline, Mass., for the first time in 34 years. (USGA/LC Lambrecht)

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Excellent post Dave, well written and with the pics I could feel the atmosphere.

Thanks for sharing.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Awesome experience Dave. I got to see tiger this year at the memorial so I totally get the tiger surge.

I do wonder if golf nuts like us would get more out of the practice rounds than the tournament since there’s usually less people and you get to see players hit lots of different shots since they’re not being scored

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Just now, Mr_Theoo said:

Awesome experience Dave. I got to see tiger this year at the memorial so I totally get the tiger surge.

I do wonder if golf nuts like us would get more out of the practice rounds than the tournament since there’s usually less people and you get to see players hit lots of different shots since they’re not being scored

Good point!

I also wonder what it would be like to watch them warm up prior to their round.  I've never done that before and you might get to see a lot of players hitting various shots and see what a PGA tour pro warm-up is like.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

5 minutes ago, Mr_Theoo said:

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I also wonder what it would be like to watch them warm up prior to their round.  I've never done that before and you might get to see a lot of players hitting various shots and see what a PGA tour pro warm-up is like.

Every year at The Open I go for the last practice day (Wednesday) and spend about 2-3 hrs at the range watching the elite hitting pure strike after strike all the way through the bag. You really get a sense of rhythm and the unhurried manner they have, plus the sound is NOTHING like the sound we get on strikes🙄

Then out on the course where you get closer and see them trying lots of different shots to, and around, the greens.

I think it's the best day of the week to go. Plus the atmosphere is electric as the tournament starts the next morning.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Going to practice days has some advantages and in some ways better than tournament days .

1. You get to see the reps from the OEMS trying to get equipment into players hands

2. See how pros really practice and what training aids they use.

3. Follow players during their practice round with smaller crowds.

4. See the coaches working with the players on their swings.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Very cool write up.  I had similar experiences attending the 2017 US Open at Erin Hills.  The USGA definitely has their act together coordinating the herd of people (and you do sometimes feel like cattle) in and around the course.

I signed up to be a Marshal Volunteer for the 2020 Ryder Cup at Whistling Straits.  I'm excited to see what the differences will be behind the ropes instead of walking the grounds and sitting in the stands.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

Great job Dave!  Your experiences closely mirror mine.  I've attended two LPGA majors, one Champions tour major, and  3 PGA tour events.  I similarly walk some holes, then after I get worn out, I camp.  Not sure if I would do it again, but I'm glad I attended all of them!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thank you Dave, loved the write up !

I played Pebble and SpyGlass last summer my first time to the Monterrey peninsula we stayed at The Inn at Spanish Bay and were treated like King and Queen. My family's best vacation ever. I was in heaven ...but heaven is expensive...so I had to leave😂

I have attended the Shell Houston Open as a marshal as well as a fan several times and you are so right about the different nature of watching a tournament as opposed to attending a tournament ( very different ) both are rewarding.

Well stated Dave!

#IfollowGolfSpy Dave

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

Fantastic write-up, thanks!  I attended at Chambers Bay (3rd round) and really enjoyed it. Start a "gofundme" campaign for that $550 green fee.  I'm in for $5 spot, leaving only 109 more spies to match that and reach your goal!  🙂

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I got to go Friday, and it was truly rad. I did find Sculpin tall boys for the $9.50 for my first one, but it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back by the 12th green / 13th th box. The next time I got one, it was for a 12 oz and I was not happy. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour