yungkory

Mizuno MP-20

An elastomer fill would be nice, but I’m going to buy an MP20 HMB 3-iron, just to banish my 3 hybrid to the closet. Hopefully I can order one on 9/20 if not before. I’m just too used to “woods” and irons, for whatever silly reason my brain can’t process hybrids...

Edited by Middler

I really want to try these they look gorgeous I would almost guarantee you i would be fit in the HMB's they look beautiful. I was testing out the JPX Hot Metal Pro and they were flying well. Wish I could get these out for an on course round may need to see if there are any courses near me to try these or HMP 

I hit all 3 of the MP 20 models yesterday.  They all felt and sounded wonderful.  I was surprised that the HMB sounded so good given its hollow design.  The MMC and HMB were giving me my regular distances even though they are 2 degrees weaker than my current irons.  The MP 20s gave me the numbers I would expect from a traditionally lofted blade. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

Arent the MMC's a bit strong compared to "traditional" lofts?

MMC's and HMB's are the same loft which is 2-degrees stronger than the MP-20 blade from the 8-iron and up. They're pretty close to what I would call modern-traditional. Starting with the 4-iron, they go 22, 25, 28, 32, 36, 41, 46. MP-20 blade goes 24, 27, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46.

What I'd consider "traditional" lofts is going to have the PW somewhere closer to 49-degrees and we haven't really seen anyone release a PW with that loft in quite some time.

Edited by TR1PTIK
  • Like 1

Tiger spec'd P7TW have 49° PW but your point stands as the standard spec of the set is 47°.

MMC's and HMB's are the same loft which is 2-degrees stronger than the MP-20 blade from the 8-iron and up. They're pretty close to what I would call modern-traditional. Starting with the 4-iron, they go 22, 25, 28, 32, 36, 41, 46. MP-20 blade goes 24, 27, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46.
What I'd consider "traditional" lofts is going to have the PW somewhere closer to 49-degrees and we haven't really seen anyone release a PW with that loft in quite some time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

5 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Tiger spec'd P7TW have 49° PW but your point stands as the standard spec of the set is 47°.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yeah, I thought about about that, but it's pretty uncommon. Tiger's setup is definitely old-school and you won't find many sets with those lofts on tour - on any tour.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tsecor said:

Arent the MMC's a bit strong compared to "traditional" lofts?

Yes, but they are one to two degrees weak compared to most current GI and SGI sets on the market.  For instance, my Titleist 718 AP1s have a 30 degree 7 iron.  The new Titleist T300s have a 29 degree 7 iron, which is 2 clubs stronger than my Ping Eye 2s.

2 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Yes, but they are one to two degrees weak compared to most current GI and SGI sets on the market.  For instance, my Titleist 718 AP1s have a 30 degree 7 iron.  The new Titleist T300s have a 29 degree 7 iron, which is 2 clubs stronger than my Ping Eye 2s.

that's understandable given the difference in class of irons.

I love the looks of these and am wondering how forgiving the hot metals are.  Nobody makes a better looking iron then Mizuno.  I have seen reviews where guys are using a combo set and they have not said anything negative about looking down at the top line.