Golf cart herd

AmishJason

I'm sure there have been many, many, many posts related to pace of play at all levels of golf.  But, I got routinely stuck Saturday behind a herd of golfers and their carts.  Likely they were all members and my complaints wouldn't have done me any good if I had tried to lodge any, but holy crap.

I don't mind people playing in a group of 4 or 5, but when  that group also includes every golfer having their own riding cart instead of pairing up, it turns into a traffic nightmare.  And I'm not even going to do anymore than mention their magnetic attraction to trees....

Guess I just needed to vent my frustration one more time.

P.S. the group of 3 members that my playing partner and I let skip us while we ate at the turn were super cool.  They had been hung up just as often by the herd and were stuck at the 18th tee when we arrived.  They ended up inviting us to join them for the 18th and a good time was had by all.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

It sucks when that happens. Either they need to split up or let everyone go through when someone catches up. Our club pro sets the rules and doesn’t like it when they are broken. He isn’t afraid to let people know either. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

1 minute ago, Kor.A.Door said:

It sucks when that happens. Either they need to split up or let everyone go through when someone catches up. Our club pro sets the rules and doesn’t like it when they are broken. He isn’t afraid to let people know either. 

Happens all the time here at our muni.  Most of the gangsome members have their own carts, but that actually speeds them up a little.  Everyone goes to their ball.  Our pro is very nice, but because there are sometimes an odd number of gangsome  players, he lets 5-somes play together.  That has led to other groups showing up that have 5 players and want to play together, so he has to let them.  Ahh, golf at a muni.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Happens all the time here at our muni.  Most of the gangsome members have their own carts, but that actually speeds them up a little.  Everyone goes to their ball. 

Same here with the regulars. We each have our cart and I agree it does speed it up. It's slow play when we have guests and they ride together in a Club cart  And leave it at one ball then one of the rider's  walks to the other side of the fairway and back and sometimes twice because they brought the wrong club. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

18 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Happens all the time here at our muni.  Most of the gangsome members have their own carts, but that actually speeds them up a little.  Everyone goes to their ball.  Our pro is very nice, but because there are sometimes an odd number of gangsome  players, he lets 5-somes play together.  That has led to other groups showing up that have 5 players and want to play together, so he has to let them.  Ahh, golf at a muni.

On slow days during the week I can see that, but Saturday its tough to allow. We had 5 one time and  kept up with the group in front of us. Of course we split up coming into 9, but when paired up again in 10 fairway

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I would think their own cart would speed things up.  I see the 5some on an occasion for Men's Club and it is allowed on weekdays, but frowned upon when not a Men's Club event. 

Not sure why, but some people just can't stand letting someone play through. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

5 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

On slow days during the week I can see that, but Saturday its tough to allow. We had 5 one time and  kept up with the group in front of us. Of course we split up coming into 9, but when paired up again in 10 fairway

Every weekend at our muni, we could play as a 5-some and wait on every shot.  #lifeatamuni.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

It’s that way at a lot of places. 

I'm not sure that it's comforting to know that, but...  I am glad it's not just our course, otherwise I might consider moving.

We routinely have 3-5 carts in our group.  We all live on the course and have our own carts.  Like others have said it should actually speed up play.  We all drive to our own balls and hit, no need to drop off someone and then go back.  If I had my way everyone would always be in their own cart, riding with a buddy just slows things down.

FWIW we've had some crazy group sizes.  Usually on Wed we go back out after our round about 7pm and do a big drunken scramble.  We usually get anywhere from 8-14 guys and play as one big group.  On the Sat of our club championship we play a full 18 after the tourney round as a huge drunken scramble.  This year we had a 20-some and played in about 4hrs.  We've had a 16-some that chased down the foursome in front of us and they let us play through.

I guess all that to say that it has nothing to do with each person being in their own cart.  Slow golfers are going to be slow no matter what and being in their own carts probably actually speeds them up.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

45 minutes ago, Golfermanjim said:

I rarely if ever ride in a cart. I prefer to walk and carry. Carts should be used by those who truly can’t walk, otherwise get off of your behind and play golf as it was meant to be played.

While I also prefer to walk, there are many people who could not play without a buggy, there are times of the year in the US where a buggy is close to essential to avoid heatstroke, there are courses designed to accommodate housing, where long walks between holes make a buggy more valuable, and there are many golf courses in the US that require the use of a buggy.  For a first post, this seems just a little intolerant of others, and that's not the ethos within the MGS community.

BTW, welcome to the MGS community!

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I've played in a fivesome on Saturday mornings in our dogfight and we've finished in 3 hours.  And for me, if everyone had their own cart it would certainly speed up play.  But as you are saying, if they are visiting the trees on every hole, well then, that's a whole other can of worms.

I've actually been in a fivesome that was held up by a threesome; but I totally understand that I am not normal, as I walked 9 last night in under an hour.  The guys I play with are all business and hit it and go, and it's rare when we have to stop and look for a wayward shot as most of the time our holes have to be won by birdies, as par is not good enough.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

2 hours ago, Golfermanjim said:

I rarely if ever ride in a cart. I prefer to walk and carry. Carts should be used by those who truly can’t walk, otherwise get off of your behind and play golf as it was meant to be played.

I guarantee that if electric/gas golf carts were around when golf was invented the rich folk would have been riding in them.

Unless you're playing with sand tee's, a mashie, and a hand carved beech wood ball in a goat pasture then please stop talking about the way golf was "meant" to be played.

Feel free to jump down off that horse and join us regular folk in the forum though.  It's a fun place to hang out and talk about golf if you're open to others opinions.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

7 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

I guarantee that if electric/gas golf carts were around when golf was invented the rich folk would have been riding in them.

Unless you're playing with sand tee's, a mashie, and a hand carved beech wood ball in a goat pasture then please stop talking about the way golf was "meant" to be played.

Feel free to jump down off that horse and join us regular folk in the forum though.  It's a fun place to hang out and talk about golf if you're open to others opinions.

... Well you touched on it but of course walking was the way the game was meant to be played. It was just a way to pass time while walking and herding sheep. And I have heard walking is much more prevalent in Europe. But of course a US premier course with cart paths bares very little resemblance to sheep herding. So if I had real silly money at my disposal, I would hire a personal caddy and would most definitely not ride in a cart. I enjoy the walking, the focus, communing with nature and also I just play better when I walk. Since I can't afford a personal caddy, I have been using remote controlled carts for over 25 years now and feel it gives me the best of all worlds. At 66, keeping in shape for as long as I can is a top priority for me so walking is really a no brainer. 

... The above stated, I play some premium courses where walking is just about impossible because of long distances between greens and tees as well as mountain courses that would take 7+ hours to walk and quite frankly I couldn't make it to 18. 🤪  And I have no bias against anyone choosing to ride in a cart and aside from the obvious health benefits of walking, the reasons they choose to ride and there are many, is really none of my business. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I personally dislike 5 somes. The Villages will NOT ALLOW under any circumstances more than 4. We have occasionally had 5 guys show up guess what ? We played 3 & 2.
It was the same at almost all the courses we played in New England.
We had the occasional 5 and even 6 guys when we were walking at evening just to finish B4 dark on the last couple holes. With that we were the only ones out there.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I personally dislike 5 somes. The Villages will NOT ALLOW under any circumstances more than 4. We have occasionally had 5 guys show up guess what ? We played 3 & 2.
We had the occasional 5 and even 6 guys when we were walking at evening just to finish B4 dark on the last couple holes. With that we were the only ones out there.

It's difficult to play in gangsome matches with only 3 players, let alone 2.  When one team has 5 players, the worst player is always on that team so the team with the most players doesn't have much of an advantage.  I haven't played in the gangsome for years, but they used to count the 2 best scores from the team; maybe it's 3 best scores now, IDK.

But once a course allows 5-somes, whether in the gangsome or otherwise, it's nearly impossible for the course to not allow on a regular basis.  "You had groups of 5 yesterday, why can't we have 5?"  You guys at private clubs are lucky.

35 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Too many people or just the pace of play?

Played sixsome 2 weeks ago. just over 3 hours and 4 behind us couldn't keep up.

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Too many people or just the pace of play?

Played sixsome 2 weeks ago. just over 3 hours and 4 behind us couldn't keep up.

Of course it depends on the players, you’re lucky your guys move their butts.
Our groups are mixed, most of the guys can and will play quickly but we have a few guys that are PIA’s they never shut up, always have a very important story! Since I do most of the Tee Time pairings you KNOW who’s in the last 4some or two. I love it when one of them complains but because of my standard answer that I can’t use here they don’t ask again.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Of course it depends on the players, you’re lucky your guys move their butts.
Our groups are mixed, most of the guys can and will play quickly but we have a few guys that are PIA’s they never shut up, always have a very important story! Since I do most of the Tee Time pairings you KNOW who’s in the last 4some or two. I love it when one of them complains but because of my standard answer that I can’t use here they don’t ask again.

I didn’t answer all of your question. I’m sure the rule of 4some max was due to slow play. I’ve had a 4some in FL held up by a 2some with nobody in front of them.

Rick

Left Hand, 

9 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

While I also prefer to walk, there are many people who could not play without a buggy, there are times of the year in the US where a buggy is close to essential to avoid heatstroke, there are courses designed to accommodate housing, where long walks between holes make a buggy more valuable, and there are many golf courses in the US that require the use of a buggy.  For a first post, this seems just a little intolerant of others, and that's not the ethos within the MGS community.

BTW, welcome to the MGS community!

Thank you..well said.

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

11 hours ago, Rickp said:

As crappy as the course in my hometown can get (not the course I was stuck behind the herd on) they are sticklers for 4 players MAX.  My usual playing partner and arrived on time last year for a tee time and a group of 6 were arguing that they should be allowed to be one big group.  Long story short, they tried to go a half hour before their tee time and as their group of 6.  It was a good feeling when they were pulled to the side of the tee box on hole 1 and forced to let us play our time and then they were split up into 2 groups.  As a note, this is a semi private course and none of the above mentioned players were members.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

Let’em ride on. Individual carts are much better than two old dudes in a truck going together from ball to ball. “Let me sit here without a care in the world while you hit so we can ride together to my ball 15 feet away.” If you take that same group and buddy them up you will be waiting foreverrrrrrrrrr.....ever 🤨

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

18 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

18 hours ago, chisag said:

... Well you touched on it but of course walking was the way the game was meant to be played. It was just a way to pass time while walking and herding sheep. And I have heard walking is much more prevalent in Europe. But of course a US premier course with cart paths bares very little resemblance to sheep herding. So if I had real silly money at my disposal, I would hire a personal caddy and would most definitely not ride in a cart. I enjoy the walking, the focus, communing with nature and also I just play better when I walk. Since I can't afford a personal caddy, I have been using remote controlled carts for over 25 years now and feel it gives me the best of all worlds. At 66, keeping in shape for as long as I can is a top priority for me so walking is really a no brainer. 

... The above stated, I play some premium courses where walking is just about impossible because of long distances between greens and tees as well as mountain courses that would take 7+ hours to walk and quite frankly I couldn't make it to 18. 🤪  And I have no bias against anyone choosing to ride in a cart and aside from the obvious health benefits of walking, the reasons they choose to ride and there are many, is really none of my business. 

That didn’t come off very well on my part. I just really prefer walking and only take a cart when I’m forced to. I have a bad back and it honestly feels better when I walk. I see your point on the way some course are set up and it makes it  impossible for some not to be able to walk even if they wanted too. I’ve also found that when I walk I can get around just as fast if not faster than foursomes in carts. On a side note, when I take both of my sons with me I make them walk much to their chagrin. Only when Mom comes along do they get a cart. Happy Wife, Happy Life. Or so they say.

Walking is the way to go BUT when you are physically unable to walk Cart is just fine.
Seniors are dropping a lot of money and help this game succeed in many ways. Are some of them PIA’s, sure but isn’t everyone

Rick

Left Hand, 

Personally, I don't care whether people ride or walk, carry or use a push/pull cart....as long as you play at a reasonable pace of play.  Our course doesn't allow 5somes without permission (and don't even bother asking at peak hours or weekends).  On another note, we used to play 6somes at the Yellowstone Country Club and played it in under 4 hours.  It's not that hard -- ready golf!

My best outing was when I had a caddy during my play at Bandon Dunes.  What a relaxing way to play the game!  I could get spoiled by that were it not for the expense of doing so (at today's rates).

Post surgeries and issues with my feet, I prefer to ride now, but I do think I played better (more focused) walking.  Anyway.....enjoy the game, regardless of whether you walk or ride.

Edit:  Oh yeah...forgot to mention that our course also does not want more than 2 carts per foursome out there.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug