Jump to content
Guest Delete

Delete

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

I go by total yards.  Im not the longest hitter in the world, so anything over 7,000 yards is a no-go for me.  I try to keep it between 6,000 and 6,500 yards.

  • Like 1

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I shoot for the 6600-6800 range when it's actual golf. In the wet springs and cool autumns, I play shorter tees to make sure I stay comfortable and have fun. I hit a high ball with little rollout. When it's cold, wet, and windy is just no fun on the back tees.

Take Dead Aim
 

Same here. I like the challenge of 6600/6800 not more. I play Bethpage Black a lot and there if I could I would play the yellow to make it more friendly but I keep playing the blue tees and makes all the other courses look easy 🙂

  • Like 1

:ping-small: G400 9.0 Alta CB 55g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W Alta CB 65g stiff

:Sub70: Fairway Pro 5W Ust Mamiya V2 black stiff

:Sub70: 839X 4h Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: 639cb 5-PW Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: Forged Wedge  50.7 Kbs TGI80

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB-X

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, TimoTe said:

How do you pick what tee to play from? 

Do you base it off of:

  • Total yards
  • Par 3 longest/shortest
  • Par 4 longest/shortest
  • Slope rating
  • How far you hit a certain club
  • What your buddies are playing
  • Always a specific color no matter what

I like to play as close as possible while the shortest par 3 is at least a gap wedge (115 yards for me) and, I will move back if I get 5 birdies a round. 

I have never had more than 3 birdies a round, play a 14.7 handicap, drive about 240, 7i - 155. Best round is 7 over a couple times. 

So, based on all that, I play white tees quite a bit. I just started playing 3 years ago and feel that blue is not too much of a stretch most of the time but, I like playing closer to just have one less club most holes. 

So about five years ago I decided to do two things. One was loose a lot of weight I had gained over a 20 yr period and the other was to break 80 consistently whenever I played golf. Got the weight off, another topic/story for another time. The golf has been a challenge, rewarding but challenging. Totally rebuilt swing/overall game. Short answer is I base it off my driver to break par.

To point, I was challenged by a mentor one afternoon at the driving range. He says "you know I really like this play it forward concept being talked about in golf today". "It can make golf fun again for a lot of us and motivate us to want to improve".

He says "I learned how to go low again". That statement hit me. So one afternoon I went out to a course and played two tee boxes up (yellow/senior tees at that course). I nearly broke par.

Now I am thinking (at that time several years ago), I am not yet in my 50's and the tournaments out here I have to play blue tees (two back). Am I really doing myself any favors playing forward other than a nice score card? But I kept doing it until I broke par 5 x in a row. Then I moved to white tees and it took awhile to shoot par but I have.

My course management and expectation to go lower increased each time I would play from forward tees -- my thinking changed, confidence grew. 

Have not done it(broke par) from blue tees (close) but I am trying. So the yellow tees were 5700 the blues are 6700 give or take. Regardless, I probably should not expect to score low on anything around 7000 yards and up but I am sure going to try. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

We change tees from white to gold at age 65 at my club. That’s a 5900 ya to 5200 yd change......My hcap index is currently 16.1, bu5 occasionally I’ll play 6000 yards when traveling.


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy


Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

 

Share this post


Link to post

Colors are meaningless - my course goes Black (7200), Gold (6600), Silver (6200) Green (5500) White (4800)

So for me in the average par 4 can I reach w a driver and a mid to short iron - so that’s the silvers.

When I visit someplace else I look at that as well as the slope and course rating - if a scratch golfer isn’t expected to break par then I’m not going to those tees... I’m looking for something like 70, maybe 69...

I always think I’ll move back if my game improves - but until it shoot in the 70s on a super consistent basis I’m happy where I’m at. At age 53 my driver isn’t getting any longer...


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 1

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero
3W, 7W Titelist TS2
4H, 5H; 6I-U Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black
ER7  or Scotty Futura X 

OnCore Elixr

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, CarlH said:

Colors differ from course to course, so that's useless.  I don't think handicap should be the determining factor as to which tees to play, although I understand the logic from the course's standpoint and speed of play (particularly for high handicap players and total newbies/hacks).  For me, I base my decision on total distance.  I've aged and lost significant distance, not only off the tee, but also with irons (although it's less obvious with irons), so I want to be able to reasonably reach the greens in regulation.  On unfamiliar courses, I will generally ask the pro for input.

 

17 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Colors are meaningless - my course goes Black (7200), Gold (6600), Silver (6200) Green (5500) White (4800)

So for me in the average par 4 can I reach w a driver and a mid to short iron - so that’s the silvers.

When I visit someplace else I look at that as well as the slope and course rating - if a scratch golfer isn’t expected to break par then I’m not going to those tees... I’m looking for something like 70, maybe 69...

I always think I’ll move back if my game improves - but until it shoot in the 70s on a super consistent basis I’m happy where I’m at. At age 53 my driver isn’t getting any longer...


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Totally agree on the colors not meaning anything and being course specific. We have courses that used red (front), gold, white, blue, black (tips/championship) but other that have different colors. One of my buddies and I tried to explain this to the rest of our larger group via email when the world handicap discussion came about and they were trying to figure out how it all worked. My buddy put together a spreadsheet for them to use at their home course and they wanted to know if it could be used elsewhere and we were like not unless that course uses same color code with same rating and slope.

Its been mentioned in here as well that people choose by distance but course layout has an impact on that too. I’ve played some shorter courses that were rated as hard as some of the longer ones I’ve played.


Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Share this post


Link to post

Played at Ballyneal last summer - caddy asked my handicap and just took me to a tee box... this was the tee marker they place everyday... IMG_0043.JPG


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy


Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero
3W, 7W Titelist TS2
4H, 5H; 6I-U Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black
ER7  or Scotty Futura X 

OnCore Elixr

Share this post


Link to post

This is a simple answer to the question...

I play from yardages on the card that seem to align with my distances. In the area I live that usually means somewhere around 6200-6500. Our terrain is relatively flatish and rather dry, and the elevation is ~2800'.

When I travel out of this region I may play more forward or back. 


My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

                                                                               :755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

                                                                                :edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 6/16/2020 at 12:57 AM, TimoTe said:

How do you pick what tee to play from? 

Do you base it off of:

  • Total yards
  • Par 3 longest/shortest
  • Par 4 longest/shortest
  • Slope rating
  • How far you hit a certain club
  • What your buddies are playing
  • Always a specific color no matter what

I like to play as close as possible while the shortest par 3 is at least a gap wedge (115 yards for me) and, I will move back if I get 5 birdies a round. 

I have never had more than 3 birdies a round, play a 14.7 handicap, drive about 240, 7i - 155. Best round is 7 over a couple times. 

So, based on all that, I play white tees quite a bit. I just started playing 3 years ago and feel that blue is not too much of a stretch most of the time but, I like playing closer to just have one less club most holes. 

My regular golf course has
Senior/Ladies the shortest yardage 5700
White medium distance, average players 6200

Blue Longer distance, advance players. 6700

I play the white tees, about 6200 yards to accommodate my handicap. and in other courses look for the same yardage, low to mid 6000 yards total

 

Edited by SnakeDoc

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

Driver :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania turnpike and Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Delete
Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2020 at 6:11 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

 

Totally agree on the colors not meaning anything and being course specific. We have courses that used red (front), gold, white, blue, black (tips/championship) but other that have different colors. One of my buddies and I tried to explain this to the rest of our larger group via email when the world handicap discussion came about and they were trying to figure out how it all worked. My buddy put together a spreadsheet for them to use at their home course and they wanted to know if it could be used elsewhere and we were like not unless that course uses same color code with same rating and slope.

Its been mentioned in here as well that people choose by distance but course layout has an impact on that too. I’ve played some shorter courses that were rated as hard as some of the longer ones I’ve played.

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Delete
Posted (edited)

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete

Share this post


Link to post

Golf Magazine put something out a while back the same as what Timo Te noted.

5 iron distance x 36 = the course yardage you should be playing. 

So for a 180 yard 5 iron you should be playing 6480. Play the tees close to that yardage.

 


Driver, Ping G400 11* SR Flex

3 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 17*  R Flex

5 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 19* R Flex

Hybrid, Cobra Amp 24* R Flex

Irons, Sub 70 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

Wedges, Cleveland CBX 56* & 60*

Putter, Odyssey Marksman Fang 35"

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Delete
Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2020 at 7:12 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Golf Magazine put something out a while back the same as what Timo Te noted.

5 iron distance x 36 = the course yardage you should be playing. 

So for a 180 yard 5 iron you should be playing 6480. Play the tees close to that yardage.

 

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, TimoTe said:

Exactly, if it is a par 72 that works. 

I play a local 9 hole par 29 often. Par 29-(9 holes x 2 putts) = 11 shots per round. Back tees 1,731 yards ÷ 11 = 157 yard average distance per shot. Forward tees 1412 ÷ 11 = 128 yds/shot. 

I bring this up because I play with an 89 year old duffer who should play the forward tees even at this course but, he plays the back Everytime. Since it is a short course in general it works out but, he ends up with 90% bogeys or worse. 

His driver usually goes about 130 with the occasional 150 yard perfect shot. I'm not trying to change him. I just know he almost never hits a green in reg. 

Does he have fun when he plays? 

  • Like 2

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Delete
Posted (edited)
On 6/18/2020 at 3:54 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Does he have fun when he plays? 

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete

Share this post


Link to post

I don't have much of a choice as my course is older and tops out between 6,200 and 6,300 from the back tees. In reality several of the holes are a combo box, with back and middle tees on the same box and maybe separated by 10 yards or so. A few holes have forward tees significantly in front, and few the forward tees are maybe 20 yards in front. Interesting design.

It's a reasonably comfortable distance for me because driving is a weak spot of my game, and to keep it straight I usually top out around 230-240 on wet, longish fairways. On a lot of holes that still leaves something shorter than a 7-iron into the green. The par 5s are not setup in a way that you can hope to do much better than birdie (one of my frustrations with the course), because you would need to clear water hazards that are placed extremely close to the green. 

I played a very nice course, Pilgrim's Run, in Pierson, Michigan, last fall and our group played the blue/white combo tees, which were a mix of middle and one back from the middle for a total of 6,205 yards. It was very enjoyable. I wish more courses would have rated hybrid boxes like that. (All middle plays 5,737 and all one back from middle plays 6,471.)

There's another course around here that is only 5,900 from the middle tees, but due to wind and long grass all over the place, we almost always play from there and it's a blast. The easier holes are decent chances are birdie, you can still hit driver, and there are still a lot of challenges to navigate around. 


Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.8 (Last Updated July 25, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT #TEAMSCALVESLIKEPHIL - Check out all of the action over here!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra x Vessel SpeedZone Stand Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

Oh yes. He has a great attitude

That’s all that matters. If it didn’t affect his attitude playing from longer tees then doesn’t matter if he should play the front tees or not.

I played with an older couple at a course that is hard from the middle tees yet they both played from those tees and didn’t hit a fairway all day and some of the par 3s had to play like a par 4 for them. They didn’t complain all day about missing a fairway or never making par. The guy I was riding with we both thought they should play further up but they were enjoying themselves and we left it at that.


Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Delete
Posted (edited)
On 6/18/2020 at 7:25 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s all that matters. If it didn’t affect his attitude playing from longer tees then doesn’t matter if he should play the front tees or not.

I played with an older couple at a course that is hard from the middle tees yet they both played from those tees and didn’t hit a fairway all day and some of the par 3s had to play like a par 4 for them. They didn’t complain all day about missing a fairway or never making par. The guy I was riding with we both thought they should play further up but they were enjoying themselves and we left it at that.

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete

Share this post


Link to post
I prefer to play the longest tees because it allows me to play every club in my bag.  That can be mitigated by course layout of course.

I can play a 6000-6200 yard course and hit lots of different clubs, just leave the driver in the bag. I actually found playing shorter courses once in awhile is a nice change and makes me think about different ways to attack (manage) a course.

 

Take Dead Aim

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I think Jack Nicklaus said to multiply how far you hit your 5 iron by 36, and then play the tee that is closest to that yardage. I use that when I play a course I am not familiar with. As an example, for me my 5 iron goes 180. So 180 x 36= 6,480 yards, so I pick the closest to that.


C863FD6F-A6FF-4575-AE0B-D47F55C55EE2.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...