Jump to content

2020 Official Member Review: Titleist TSi Drivers


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

One observation. The TSi 2 in a 10 degree plus the Graphite Design AD-XC 6S is much higher launching (in a good way) than my SIM Max 10.5 with the Ventus Red 5S. On paper it doesn't make sense because the Ventus Red is supposed to be mid-high launch and the AD-XC is heavier and is supposed to be low-mid launch.

Are you talking actual launch or peak height? Sometimes people confuse the two.

Also for the most part shafts themselves aren’t going to change launch or even spin. They may cause a person to deliver the club different which will cause changes in ball flight characteristics  

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

Are you talking actual launch or peak height? Sometimes people confuse the two.

Also for the most part shafts themselves aren’t going to change launch or even spin. They may cause a person to deliver the club different which will cause changes in ball flight characteristics  

Launch angle and peak height are higher

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One observation. The TSi 2 in a 10 degree plus the Graphite Design AD-XC 6S is much higher launching (in a good way) than my SIM Max 10.5 with the Ventus Red 5S. On paper it doesn't make sense because the Ventus Red is supposed to be mid-high launch and the AD-XC is heavier and is supposed to be low-mid launch.

Specs like those are manufacturer generated and don’t really compare across other shafts. Also players respond to shaft feels and adjust. I would look at the head for the differing launch parameters and less on the shaft.
  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question for the tester.

Did you get just the TSi head and you then get fit and select a shaft from Titleist? Is there a cost to getting the shaft you are fit for? I am assuming that you will have to cover the cost of the fitting? 

I'm interested in how this all works. Would like to do some testing and reviewing and I am just starting to get into the forum more.

  • Like 1
Ping G5 ___10º driver
Taylor Made Sim Ti___15º fairway wood
Northwestern Ti___5 wood
Dunlop Raymond Floyd___3-PW
Mizuno MP_56º 
White Line_putter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cnosil said:


Specs like those are manufacturer generated and don’t really compare across other shafts. Also players respond to shaft feels and adjust. I would look at the head for the differing launch parameters and less on the shaft.

Cnosil captured it pretty well. It’s possible that you are delivering the club in way that increased launch characteristics due to the weight of the shaft and/or head or the overall combo.

but without lm data for the two clubs on the same day in the same environment it’s all speculation 

 

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, HomeTownKid said:

Question for the tester.

Did you get just the TSi head and you then get fit and select a shaft from Titleist? Is there a cost to getting the shaft you are fit for? I am assuming that you will have to cover the cost of the fitting? 

I'm interested in how this all works. Would like to do some testing and reviewing and I am just starting to get into the forum more.

Welcome to the forum, and great that you are getting more involved, we love that!

We--myself and the other 6 testers-all were encouraged to go to a Titleist Thursday for our fitting.  Titleist Thursdays are free and open to the public. It's a full 30 minute one on fitting with a Titleist rep that has the full disposal of shafts and heads available.   You come away from those with a very good fit and then we sent those specs to Titleist to build and ship to the testers.

There were I think 3 testers who weren't able to make it to a TT for one reason or another.  They submitted a combination of specs that either came from a recent fitting they had had with a local fitter, or from specs they knew worked well for them.

We are wrapping up testing for the year, maybe one more to come in the next week or so.   But no doubt 2021 will be filled with lots of great opportunities.  So get involved, in lots of discussions on the forum, whether it's starting threads that are on a topic that interest you --but use the search function first, there may already be an existing thread with lots of info for you.   Or just jump in any of the threads and share your thoughts.

Also make sure to create a profile pic/avatar if you read this topic, it'll give you lots of info on testing.

 

 

  • Like 4

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Welcome to the forum, and great that you are getting more involved, we love that!

We--myself and the other 6 testers-all were encouraged to go to a Titleist Thursday for our fitting.  Titleist Thursdays are free and open to the public. It's a full 30 minute one on fitting with a Titleist rep that has the full disposal of shafts and heads available.   You come away from those with a very good fit and then we sent those specs to Titleist to build and ship to the testers.

There were I think 3 testers who weren't able to make it to a TT for one reason or another.  They submitted a combination of specs that either came from a recent fitting they had had with a local fitter, or from specs they knew worked well for them.

We are wrapping up testing for the year, maybe one more to come in the next week or so.   But no doubt 2021 will be filled with lots of great opportunities.  So get involved, in lots of discussions on the forum, whether it's starting threads that are on a topic that interest you --but use the search function first, there may already be an existing thread with lots of info for you.   Or just jump in any of the threads and share your thoughts.

Also make sure to create a profile pic/avatar if you read this topic, it'll give you lots of info on testing.

 

 

That is great info! I really appreciate the quick response. I have thrown my info out there for a few reviews. I will typically only do it if it fits my game and where I want to take it. I am your average golfer. I am getting closer to breaking 90 this year, probably the first time since college. When you only play a half dozen rounds a year you want to put your money where it counts. 

  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
Ping G5 ___10º driver
Taylor Made Sim Ti___15º fairway wood
Northwestern Ti___5 wood
Dunlop Raymond Floyd___3-PW
Mizuno MP_56º 
White Line_putter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recently went to a store with GC Hawks to do some driver testing with a Honma TR20 I won.  AT the end decided to check out TSi3.  Gathered the data for info/entertainment.  MY takeaway was, ball speed off TSi3 wasn't any faster than M5.  Avg were about equal.  My spin numbers with M5 were very erradic.  More stable with TSi3.  I don't think I found the best combination as all I had avail was Tensei wt and Smoke RDX in 60gX, TSi3 couldn't keep it right of target at all.  Best with M5 was 163.1mph 294yd/313yd, best with TSi3 161.8mph 292yd/308yd.  

 

512819261_Honmatesting.JPG.f8966ffce66972d3a2015f8560275d6a.JPG

Edited by ejcrossl
spelling mistake

Driver - Taylormade M5 10.5 (set to 9.75 deg and 1.5 open)  Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x

3 wood - TM M3 17 deg (set to 15.5 deg and 3 deg open) GD DI 7x

3 Hybrid - TM rocketballz Accra Dymatch S165, 68g, M5 flex (XS)

Irons  (4-5) - Srixon 585s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Irons (6-W) - Srixon 785s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Wedges (51, 56, 60) - Cleveland RTX4 Nippon Modus 125 Wedge Flex

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, HomeTownKid said:

That is great info! I really appreciate the quick response. I have thrown my info out there for a few reviews. I will typically only do it if it fits my game and where I want to take it. I am your average golfer. I am getting closer to breaking 90 this year, probably the first time since college. When you only play a half dozen rounds a year you want to put your money where it counts. 

Driver, its always driver 😄

  • Like 2

Driver - Taylormade M5 10.5 (set to 9.75 deg and 1.5 open)  Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x

3 wood - TM M3 17 deg (set to 15.5 deg and 3 deg open) GD DI 7x

3 Hybrid - TM rocketballz Accra Dymatch S165, 68g, M5 flex (XS)

Irons  (4-5) - Srixon 585s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Irons (6-W) - Srixon 785s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Wedges (51, 56, 60) - Cleveland RTX4 Nippon Modus 125 Wedge Flex

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HomeTownKid said:

That is great info! I really appreciate the quick response. I have thrown my info out there for a few reviews. I will typically only do it if it fits my game and where I want to take it. I am your average golfer. I am getting closer to breaking 90 this year, probably the first time since college. When you only play a half dozen rounds a year you want to put your money where it counts. 

That's awesome, if you look at a few of our recent reviews like the Nippon shaft and the huge Hogan one, we have several new first time testers, we are always wanting to get new "blood" involved as it really gives a wide range of experiences. 

playing ability has no effect on getting chosen or not.  Often if there is a club that an OEM feels is best suited to a particular handicap level, we will try to target that demographic.  But the vast majority of tests offer products that can be played from a scratch to 100's shooters. 

 

  • Like 3

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ejcrossl said:

Driver, its always driver 😄

I know right! 🤣🤣

  • Like 1
Ping G5 ___10º driver
Taylor Made Sim Ti___15º fairway wood
Northwestern Ti___5 wood
Dunlop Raymond Floyd___3-PW
Mizuno MP_56º 
White Line_putter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ejcrossl said:

I recently went to a store with GC Hawks to do some driver testing with a Honma TR20 I won.  AT the end decided to check out TSi3.  Gathered the data for info/entertainment.  MY takeaway was, ball speed off TSi3 wasn't any faster than M5.  Avg were about equal.  My spin numbers with M5 were very erradic.  More stable with TSi3.  I don't think I found the best combination as all I had avail was Tensei wt and Smoke RDX in 60gX, TSi3 couldn't keep it right of target at all.  Best with M5 was 163.1mph 294yd/313yd, best with TSi3 161.8mph 292yd/308yd.  

 

512819261_Honmatesting.JPG.f8966ffce66972d3a2015f8560275d6a.JPG

I am generally finding similar results re: ball speed so far. It is every bit as fast as my Epic, but isn't some world beater. To Titleist's credit, I don't think they are making any grand promises to hit new ball speed records, but they are touting a focus on ball speed consistency across the face, which should in theory help me more often.

  • Like 5

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* w/ Graphite Design AD IX 7X

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi2* 17* w/ Atmos Blue 85x  

Utility: :ping-small: i500 3i (19*) w/ MMT 125tx

Irons: :cobra-small: Forged Tec Black 4i, King Forged CB 5-GW w/ KBS $ Taper 130

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One other thing that warrants mentioning now that these will be available in stores next week, is that according to my fitter at TPI more people are lofting *up* as a result of their their fitting due to the TSi3 launch characteristics. Something to keep in mind for those who might pull the trigger without a full fitting.

  • Like 3

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* w/ Graphite Design AD IX 7X

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi2* 17* w/ Atmos Blue 85x  

Utility: :ping-small: i500 3i (19*) w/ MMT 125tx

Irons: :cobra-small: Forged Tec Black 4i, King Forged CB 5-GW w/ KBS $ Taper 130

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

One other thing that warrants mentioning now that these will be available in stores next week, is that according to my fitter at TPI more people are lofting *up* as a result of their their fitting due to the TSi3 launch characteristics. Something to keep in mind for those who might pull the trigger without a full fitting.

And another note which kind of fits what the TPI fitter said, my TT fitter said he has fit several pervious TS3 players into a TSi2 due to the lower spin of theTSi3.   So yes, if you can try these out vs buying blind, that is the ideal way.  But this being a golf forum that serves a certain segment of golf addicts that are not opposed to just buying without hitting first, you'd be wise to either loft up in your Tsi3 or consider the TSi2. 

  • Like 4

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like music to my ears. POW!

 

  • Like 2

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got 9 in this morning so just went in blind w TSI2 outta the box. Try not to get ahead of myself but the couple drivers hit were dead straight, no fade, no draw just dead a** down middle . Height a bit low but for now that can be a number of things.
1st date not bad see how second date goes.[emoji106]Image1604692947.011001.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Got 9 in this morning so just went in blind w TSI2 outta the box. Try not to get ahead of myself but the couple drivers hit were dead straight, no fade, no draw just dead a** down middle . Height a bit low but for now that can be a number of things.
1st date not bad see how second date goes.[emoji106]Image1604692947.011001.thumb.jpg.b9bf11ed7cdb8aa039e0e77ca7cec0a6.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Image1604692983.123725.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

Rick

 

 

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

Got 9 in this morning so just went in blind w TSI2 outta the box. Try not to get ahead of myself but the couple drivers hit were dead straight, no fade, no draw just dead a** down middle . Height a bit low but for now that can be a number of things.
1st date not bad see how second date goes.emoji106.pngImage1604692947.011001.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy


Image1604692983.123725.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Nice work. I definitely need to hit some more balls with it. I have gotten so used to the ball going so far right with the SIM Max that i started hitting pulls.

  • Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a round slated for tomorrow morning, but it's going to be wet and windy. Not ideal for my first 18 with the new driver but as long as there isn't lightning I will be playing - and hitting driver at every non-par 3 even when it makes no sense 😆

  • Like 1

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* w/ Graphite Design AD IX 7X

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi2* 17* w/ Atmos Blue 85x  

Utility: :ping-small: i500 3i (19*) w/ MMT 125tx

Irons: :cobra-small: Forged Tec Black 4i, King Forged CB 5-GW w/ KBS $ Taper 130

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another glamour shot! I think I like photography just a smidge less than golf. 

As you can see, I moved the weight over to the H2 slot. I was hitting a fair share of slices today when I took it out, which isn't the norm for me. After moving the slider, things started to get back on track. Going to leave it here for a while longer to see how it plays out, because it could have just been the golf gods granting me a few good hits. 

 

IMG_5975.jpg.c51341d8af315b17c962df3646a63f42.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Love 2

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have a wide open weekend to play tomorrow and Sunday, and then a 4 day work week next week. Should get plenty of rounds in!

  • Like 1

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...