Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Pete Dye Mountain Course La Quinta CA

Slypanther

When I checked in at the La Quinta Resort Pro Shop, the lady made a point of telling me 4 times it is a top 100 course in America, and I had read good things about the course. What she did not tell me was the course was over watered, I had mud on my ball on all 8 fairways I hit this day, 4/14/21. The course is Bermuda with Bermuda greens, the greens are either small or have very small target areas on the green making it near impossible to stop a shot on the green or 50 feet away if you were unlucky enough to approach that green from a awkward direction. The greens were also very slow, the slowest I have played in 30 years, and had some kind of fertilizer on them. The course is a target style course that gets even tighter on the back nine when you head closer to the mountains, with homes on both side of many holes. It is very pretty to the eye and the 17th hole gives you a elevated view into that part of a valley. This was an experiment in driving to a Palm Springs course for a reduced green fee, that was partially successful, and I will try it again next year when I return again in April.

My Father lives down in La Quinta on the PGA West Complex. These courses are all very nice looking and half of them are private. As such, I would have expected them to be pristine ALL the time. However, in my several trips down to his place I can say I was un-impressed with the condition of the greens for most of them. I wonder if it is just too hard to keep the courses with this type of grass in perfect condition in a desert....My guess is that the course you played has similar consistency issues. Hopefully next time you visit will be during a good conditions week. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

My wife and I played the La Quinta Mountain Course maybe 8-9 years ago, and it was very nice.  However, it was in January; weather and play was perfect.  

I had been to the Palm Springs area many times before, but always in JULY!!!  I had a professional society meeting at either the Marriott Desert Springs or the Renaissance Indian Wells resorts.  Some great golf and inexpensive in July.  I thought it might be nice to come back to the area when the temperature was a little cooler.  Since then, I have made several trips to the area; golf is more expensive for sure, but more enjoyable.  I will be heading that way again in January 2022.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”