Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What's this that came out of the tip ?

One is solid plastic rod over 1 1/2"( epoxy ?  ) and one is a clear plastic sleeve over 1" that came out of the tip of a pulled shaft.

Pulled a shaft, SST Pured from a fairway wood to be used in another fairway wood.   Have no idea why this was in the tip that had to be drilled out and removed through the large end ( butt ).

The solid rod weight's 0.9 gm. and the plastic sleeve weights 0.3 gm. = 1.2 gm.  which does not mean a bunch for swing weight alteration.

This probably had been discussed in the past but I still didn't get it.  Why this plastic rod and sleeve in the tip ?    Isn't it true that we shouldn't insert anythin that will go higher than the top of the hosel to prevent shaft failure ?  

Could it be to dampen the vibration / shock wave from the impact ?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. 

IMG_20210519_172903501.jpg

IMG_20210519_172929090.jpg

It should be epoxy. Sometimes the adapters are filled during installation and the excess has to go somewhere. 

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH 

LOL IMHO that is a modern take off from an old school trick--- In the old days with steel shafts some club tuners and players used to add hickory or Oak plugs to stiffen the tip and or add weight on the bottom end. I run into it quite a bit messing like I do with vintage clubs

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

LOL IMHO that is a modern take off from an old school trick--- In the old days with steel shafts some club tuners and players used to add hickory or Oak plugs to stiffen the tip and or add weight on the bottom end. I run into it quite a bit messing like I do with vintage clubs

So, this is like the wooden dowel insertion in the tip of steel shaft ?    I had encountered similar insertion from OEM woods, Titleist, T.E. Taylor Made but they were like 1/4"-3/4".  This is more than twice the length.

The shaft is a Diamana Illima  80 x5ct flex X, the player must wanted a stiffer tip feel.  I hope this was not the only thing they did during the SST Pure.

On 5/19/2021 at 6:41 PM, BIG STU said:

Thinking back, the opening of the tip was filled with light colored epoxy which I had to drill out, then, after the epoxy was removed the two pieces came loose , went down the shaft, rattles when shaking the shaft.

Guessing the pieces were inserted from the grip end and tap in tight above the hosel ?   This assumption made it more confusing.

Is there anyone who knows how these were inserted originally ?  I had tried to "put them back " through the tip end.   Wrap the solid piece inside the clear plastic tube and it was too large to go back inside from the tip end.  Hence the guess of the driection of insertion from the grip end.