Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

In cart GPS vs Optical Range Finders

paw4447

Our club has begun to provide carts with state of the art GPS with 9 inch screen. I have found them to be very accurate based on double checks with my optical.

The obvious question becomes what is the future of optical hand held devices relative to continuing improvements in the in cart GPS systems?

1 minute ago, paw4447 said:

Our club has begun to provide carts with state of the art GPS with 9 inch screen. I have found them to be very accurate based on double checks with my optical.

The obvious question becomes what is the future of optical hand held devices relative to continuing improvements in the in cart GPS systems?

All I need to say is: cart path only

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

All I need to say is: cart path only

Certainly cart GPS is no good for wet locations.  Three years ago I played one CPO round in Phoenix of all places; that was miserable.  However, no CPO anywhere in my area.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The course near Dallas where I play quite often did away with the GPS on the carts.  I am not sure if it was the cost, the device ran a lot of ads during the round, or the fact that more players were carrying their own devices.  I'd go with my own rather than depend on the course to provide.

Callaway Driver, 4 and 7 fairways.  Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-LW.  A friend told me my swing is as smooth as Tennessee Whiskey.  If so, I often think it may have come out of the barrel to soon.

• 1 year later...

Your cart is not always where your ball is, maybe due to cart path only, tee box far away from cart, partner has taken cart while you walk to your ball etc.    Therefore GPS watch or handheld clearly better.  Rangefinders are usually optically magnified and can give you eyes on exact pin position and green side features or measure distances to various hazards.  A new rangefinder, the Caddytalk Cube enables you to triangulate and measure ball to pin distance from wherever you stand (or sit) but is priced at about $400 bucks.

It’s expensive to put gps in carts. Handheld isn’t going anywhere anytime soon

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

So being that this is a 2 year old post and most courses in my area do not have in cart GPS, I would think the handheld is going to stay dominant. I would think that in cart units can create extra costs for upkeep and repair that most courses don't want to take ownership. At my home course, where I play 70% of my rounds, I go old school yardage book and range finder for flags when I'm inside 110 yards. If I am playing away I'll use the USGA app for distances to bunkers, etc. and the range finder for the pin. 

Driver:  :titleist-small:  TSi2 9*  :Fuji: Ventus Black 6S

Fairway: :titleist-small: TSi2 15*  :Fuji: Speeder Evo III 70S

Utility: :titleist-small: T-200 3 Iron  :Fuji: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Irons: :titleist-small: 620CB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 4-6

Irons:  :titleist-small: 620MB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 7-PW

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM9 50/08F 56/12S 60/04T

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2+ 34" 

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 #31 (Currently Ball Testing)

• 3 months later...

I prefer a magnified handheld laser rangefinder.  I love being able to see the wind direction and how the slope of the green is around the flag.  I currently use the Nikon CoolShot Pro (gen 1) and it's great.  Only negative is no built-in magnet, but the Spigen universal magnet strap fixes that.

Edited by ctg44
  • Callaway Epic Flash Tour Certified - 8.5° with MCA Tensei Raw AV White 70 Gram Tour X - Tipped 1" - Set to N / -1
  • Callaway AiSmoke Triple Diamond - 15* 3-wood - Project X Denali 6.5 flex shaft - Set to N/S
  • Titleist TS2 Hybrid (18°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X shaft - C1 setting
  • Taylormade P7MC (2020) Irons - 4-9 (Standard L/L) with Tour Issue X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Taylormade MG4 48.09SB TI X100 and 52.09SB / 56.12SB / 60.07LBV wedges with DG TI Onyx Black X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Golf Pride ZGRIP Plus2 on irons and wedges (plus fairway) / Lamkin ST Hybrid Midsize on Driver / Hybrid
  • Sik DW (2.0) C Series Putter in black finish (36") with Sik Golf Black Pistol
  • Balls: Mostly Maxfli Tour