Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

$-Taper or KBS Tour in Wedges

Hi All,

I’ve ordered mizuno 921 hot metal pros with $-taper lite stiff shafts for my irons to gap wedge (49 degree) and I’m thinking of ordering the RTX zipcore full face wedges in 54 & 58 degrees. 

But I’m trying to work out what the best shafts would be to compliment my irons.

I really liked the $-taper lites in my irons but they are not an option in any wedges that I can find (other than the cobra snakebites, which might make the swing weight too light and I don’t think the 54 is full face either).

So I can order the zipcore with either $-taper or kbs tour in regular which would be about 10g heavier than the lites (100g) which I think should be about the right swing weight. (Be using gap for mainly full swings, 54/58 mainly partial swings).

Does anyone have any experience with either of these shafts in wedges please? Would the tour be a better fit as may be higher spinning?

Btw I am unable to find a fitter near me where I can try either of these shafts in wedges. So any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

(Other options: DG tour spinner or DG 115 wedge flex)

Edited by g1zmondo

$-taper and $-taper lite are too completely different shafts so liking one does not mean that you would like the other.  While nothing applies universally to all golfers, $-taper is like the regular toUr model but specifically designed to reduce spin.  $-taper lite is a mid/high launching shaft with low/mid spin so the difference is more than just the 10g of weight.

If you're using the 54/58 for mainly partial shots then it's probably not that important to match those shafts to the rest of the iron set.  Universal answer on here is always go get fit and see what works best for you, but lacking that, try to find a place that has a couple of options and see if you can go hit them.  Granted that may be hard to do with wedges though...

Typically going heavier in wedges. Some prefer or recommend keeping same shaft as irons in wedges that you use for full swings.

Its all preference and or fit

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I play KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts in my irons and KBS Tour V Wedge 125g Stiff+ in my wedges and love them.

Used to play KBS Tour shafts and Tour V shafts in previous iron sets but the $-Taper is giving me a better combination of launch and spin for where my game is now.  Also have a set of irons with C-Taper 125g Stiff+ shafts and although playable are definitely more work and have a flatter trajectory.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

1 hour ago, g1zmondo said:

Thanks guys for the feedback. I will see where I can go to try out different options.

Most retail stairs are only going to carry the stock shaft. Even demo days rarely have more than the stock wedge shaft. More than likely it’s going to require going to a place like club champion, TruSpec, etc for a fitting. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1