Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

The Prodigals

Prodigal Duffer

Coming back to golf after not playing for almost a decade. Motivation is my 9 year old taking up the game, so this gives us a chance to learn and play together. Fellow spy @MyWifesSwingCoach suggested that I create a thread about that path, and it’s a good suggestion. Hopefully this thread will be a way for kiddo and I to remember while also being of interest to the board.

Last week, kiddo had a lesson on chipping with a focus on bump-n-runs. We’ve also been working on him pulling his club through on the swing. He was excited to hit our local par 3 today to see what he could do. We had my 6 year old with us, who putted only. My goal was to make better contact with more accuracy - I’ve been hitting a lot of hard hooks and have been working on correcting that.

The course was crowded and slow, but we had a blast. Robert had a bad tee shot on the first whole and looked like was going to lose it. After a short talk, he pulled his attitude together and was able to get through the round in good spirits. His overall score was not his best, but he came off the round feeling very good. He said he hit a lot of good tee shots (true), lots of good chips (pretty accurate), and did well putting (also true). 

Instead of hooking, my flight path was straight, but slightly right of target. Took me until about the 7th hole to get that figured out, but on the whole, I’ll take it. One three-putt is a bummer, but finished the round with a birdie after putting the ball within four feet.

Today was the kind of day that will keep the Prodigals coming back.

C5ACBA91-E9FF-456D-B430-F27D2BE8BAE3.jpeg

E371DA9B-D8A9-44EC-829F-476D7FDCB985.jpeg

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this week we didn’t play. The bigger struggle was getting kiddo to come out and practice. It’s the last week of summer break and he always seems to be doing something else. It doesn’t help that when I get home, he’s using his limited screen time.

We did get out a bit yesterday and hit the birdie balls. He is hitting the ball straighter and not blocking it as much. He got several to fly with the appropriate trajectory. Very good, albeit limited, progress. If he would do it a bit more consistently, he’d see more improvement (probably). We are about to start the fall baseball season, so I am guessing that we will revert to Sunday afternoon practice sessions for the foreseeable future. Such is the life . . .

I am happy to report that I have been practicing almost every day and am seeing good improvement in my ball flight and shot shape. After my session today, I felt pretty good, as if I could go play and not totally embarrass myself. Famous last words. I am playing next Saturday with a friend, trying a course new to both of us. Looking forward to it!

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

On 8/6/2022 at 2:18 PM, Prodigal Duffer said:

Robert had a bad tee shot on the first whole and looked like was going to lose it. After a short talk, he pulled his attitude together and was able to get through the round in good spirits. His overall score was not his best, but he came off the round feeling very good. He said he hit a lot of good tee shots (true), lots of good chips (pretty accurate), and did well putting (also true). 

Sounds like you have a pretty great kid there, very good attitude to be able to pull himself together after some tough shots and still reflect on what he did well. Congrats for your son and also to you pops.

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

This week, I played a round on a regulation course. Robert did not join me. 

Practice had been going pretty well. Hitting the ball straighter (sometimes with a fade). The nasty hook hadn’t totally disappeared, but has declined. I was excited for the round, which I played at a new-to-me course.

I felt like I played out of my mind the front nine. I made 5 pars, but the other 4 holes had lots of mistakes, which put me out at 47 (easily my best score since coming back). I had a tough time off the tee, blocking the ball a fair amount, although it was still (usually) playable). Got myself into trouble a couple of times with water. Easy to see a route to a lower score.

The back 9 was a totally different story. Total mess in every possible way, off the tee, with my irons, etc. The highlight (or lowlight, if you will), I sliced a ball (!!!) into what used to be a lake. The water had totally dried up thanks to our severe drought. I was able to walk out there and find my ball. The ground was very broken and—so I thought—stable. Found my ball, but as I reached for it, I stepped on a spot that was still very soft. My foot sank and the mud grabbed my shoe clean off my foot. I had to dig it out. My other shoe got super muddy, too, so I ended up taking both off and playing the rest of the round barefoot. 

I think I double bogeyed every hole on the back 9 (at best). Score was terrible, but I had a blast with the guys in my group, and playing barefoot was quite the experience. Of course, I will have to keep working on my shot, but that’s golf. I am excited to play again!

70E9E3B5-699A-4CC3-BD14-EF7C4B2270CA.jpeg

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Yesterday, Robert said he wanted to play this weekend. I had taken his clubs into the shop to get shortened, so he hadn’t practiced at all. But, I was excited he wanted to get out and play.

On the way to the course, he kept talking about wanting to play in a tournament and to practice at least 30 minutes a day. He tends to get very excited and “committed” to an idea or activity, but never follows through. 

We headed out to Rockwood’s River’s Edge course, a really nice short course. It has six par threes and is configured such that you can play nine holes — the six par threes, and then combine each of the threes (1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6) into two par 4s and a longer par 3. The greens are every bit as nice as the regulation course and the course has fairways. The course did not charge us because there was a lot of rubbish in the fairways from the almost 8 inches of rain we got last week. Greens were in great shape.

Despite not having played or practiced in a while, Robert really improved in his ball striking and chipping. He had a few shots that actually flew as they were supposed to, and had a few really good chips. He is still topping the ball off the tee. We teed the ball up a little higher an I’m trying to have him focus on brushing the grass in front of the ball. Unfortunately, his putting was not good, but he rightly identified that as a practical focus that will lead to better scores.

As for me, I am very happy with my round. I hit 4 of 6 greens, and the two I missed, I had pretty good chips. Had two three-putts (barf), missed the second putt each time on the rim, so it could have easily been a couple strokes better.

Because no one was out there, we decided to each play two balls and see if our provisional could beat our scoring ball. We had a great time, but decided not to play the longer three holes, as it was so stinking humid.  A great day for the Prodigal family!

1DC29FBB-3FA9-41D0-9654-A52C476E4AD8.jpeg

41B1FAE2-F513-4AE5-BE68-43B695981AD3.jpeg

Edited by Prodigal Duffer

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

• 2 weeks later...

Today, I played a regulation course with a friend. Had a great time, got paired up with two guys who were delightful to play with.

I played decent on the front nine (zero three putts!) but definitely left some strokes out there. Started to fall apart on the back nine, but got a snack, which helped. I ended up breaking 100 for the first time since taking golf up again! Had two chip-ins, thirty total putts. Several duffed chips and a few others, and it’s easy to see ways to gain strokes. Regardless, I had a blast.

With Robert’s baseball in full swing, we won’t get to play a round together for sometime. I also doubt I’ll get to play, but hopefully we can get out to the practice facility and work on our short games. 

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

• 4 weeks later...

We got out for nine holes today. Beautiful weather - about 80, low humidity, sunny. We were the only group on the front nine, so we took our time, hit some practice shots, etc.

Robert did great! His ball contact was very improved and he had lots of good shots. We both struggled a bit on the green, but Robert finally got the speed down on the last few holes. His biggest issue was messing around in my line of sight while I was taking a shot. 🤷‍♂️he’s 9.

My goal today was to hit the ball better off the tee. I made my goal! Only one truly bad tee shot. The rest were all solid, straight (although a few were off line) and I had great distance. Unfortunately, I had a tough time on my short approach shots, but hey, I can see improvement.

We had a great day - Robert asked if we can play again tomorrow. 😀

132CB28E-FE90-4B3F-A5BF-03094DD87FEF.jpeg

15734591-E7F1-4D10-8B15-D410DBB210CB.jpeg

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

• 3 months later...

It’s been quite some time since I posted (and since Robert and I have played). Fall baseball got in the way. My late fall/early winter practice was highly discouraging, as I was suddenly slicing like crazy. Last week, I think I finally got the swing thought that would really help. I was very excited to get on the course and see if that was the case.

With today being a holiday, we went out to play 18 with some friends. Perfect weather, partly cloudy, high 60s, moderate wind. 

First two holes were rough, and I hit a big slice on the second tee shot. Robert was right down the middle. Third, I finally applied my swing thought and smoked the drive, dead center, and ended up about 40 yards from the green (305 yard drive!). I was pretty solid off the tee the rest of the front nine, except on 9. But, I couldn’t find a putt to save my life. Robert had a tough time, too. Tricky greens, Bermuda grass, I missed a lot putts I normally make. 5 3-putts on the front nine! 

The highlight of the front nine - on 8, Robert teed off from the blues with the adults. This is an elevated tee box on a par 3 of 127. He hit a perfect drive and ended up on the green about 20 feet from the hole. He two-putted for a par and was absolutely stoked.

I was a bit more inconsistent on the back nine tee boxes, but better on the greens. Robert was pushing the ball right; we tried moving his distance from the ball, didn’t help. I looked at his grip; he had his lower thumb directly on top of the shaft. I suggested he move it to the left, bringing the top of his hand closer to the top of the shaft. He started hitting the ball straight!

On the back nine, he told me he was having a big time and asked if we could start playing more. Made my day. He’s a great kid and a fun playing partner. He ended up shooting 107 from the reds; I shot 99 from the blues. I think I left 7 or 8 strokes out there with putts I typically sink, so this was a positive day for me. My scoring goals this year are to get my average to the low 90s and break 90. If today is an indication, I think I can achieve my goals.

Thankfully, Robert hit a big putt (see attached), so one of us got it done. We enjoyed a lunch with our friends afterward and have tentative plans to play again as a group on President’s Day. Excellent holiday and first round of 2023 for the Prodigals.

BA161180-EFDF-48AC-9BCB-B9439BC6A1C6.jpeg

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Can't believe I missed this thread!

Thanks for sharing these stories and experiences. Glad you guys had fun with your round and some good weather! Can't wait to hear more and hope both of your games see further improvement! Also love that you add in photos. Make it such a cool thread to read and go through and am definitely following from here on. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

• 1 month later...

Another holiday, another outing for the Prodigals. Robert did not practice at all between rounds. I practice a fair amount. Robert shot an 89. I shot over 100. Moral of the story - practice less!

My daughter joined us this time and putted on a few holes. A couple of one putts. She’ll be starting First Tee this summer - looking forward to more outings with the kids.

Seriously, I am very proud of my son. He hit the ball very well. Admittedly, he picked up frequently and dropped close to the green, but he was hitting the ball straight and (usually) solid. I had trouble on the tee box - consistently topped the ball. Putting was much better than last time. Saved 8 strokes, but getting to the green was way worse. Alas.

Here’s a picture of the first par three - Robert ended up just short of the green and bogeyed, but it was a great tee shot. Looking forward to playing again and, hopefully, both of us having a good round.

C313D24E-F8CF-4FB7-9F3E-8CFEBB933F3F.jpeg

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

I gave up golf obsession for Lent. I can practice only with my kids and on Sundays. I’ve been trying to incentivize Robert to practice or play more, and he usually reacts well to challenges/numbers goals. So, if he practices 120 minutes, we can go play 9 holes. Once he hits 240 minutes, we can play 18, play an indoor course, or go to Top Golf. It has not really worked.

Today, we hit birdie balls in the back yard. His main focus was not topping the ball, and he worked exclusively with his 7 iron. After 10 or 15 balls, he started hitting great trajectory shots. Not necessarily the best aim, but that wasn’t the focus. He had a ball and got 60 minutes of practice in.

I’m starting to get a bit more consistent, and when I hit bad shots, I’ve known the cause. I’ll take that as a win.

I’ve modified the incentive plan- once he hits 120 minutes, we play 9 holes, and those 9 holes will count toward his overall numbers for Top Golf (he’s said he prefers that to normal golf). This way, he still gets out on the course, and so do I!

9EDD73A9-7A28-4A51-920F-D32434A5E37A.jpeg

97882064-775A-4A25-AFE1-75EFE6214F24.jpeg

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

I like seeing the birdie balls!  So glad you guys are using and enjoying them.  

If your son is anything like me, practice sucks. I can play all day but only practice an hour a week tops lol

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

I like seeing the birdie balls!  So glad you guys are using and enjoying them.  

If your son is anything like me, practice sucks. I can play all day but only practice an hour a week tops lol

He’s really manic. He’ll practice basketball all day (season just ended). Once First Tee starts in a few weeks, he’ll probably be all in on golf (hopefully!). Thanks again for the balls — they’ve been a source of great joy for my home.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

3 minutes ago, Prodigal Duffer said:

they’ve been a source of great joy for my home.

This is all thanks I need.  Seeing pics of you and your family enjoying them tells me you were meant to have them instead of me so You are quite welcome. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

• 2 weeks later...

We played 9 holes this afternoon. Beautiful day - mid 80s, steady breeze, partly cloudy. Robert went to a birthday party sleepover last night and only got 2 hours of sleep. I was intrigued to see how he would handle golf (he did get in a two hour nap).

From the drop, he was acting hot and tired. He kept splashing his face with water from his water bottle. We walked, which I’m sure did not help. LOL. At the same time, he hit the ball pretty well. He still tops it a fair amount, but it typically is straight (albeit offline). He ended up not playing four holes. All that said, he had a very good attitude, did not complain, and trucked along.

I played my best nine holes since coming back to golf. First hole, doubled, but was able to salvage a couple decent shots. Second hole, went in the water hazard. Penalty shot, put it about 30 yards short of the green (played the front tees). Then I rattled off two pars, a birdie (with an eagle opportunity), and another par. Hit another water shot on a par 3, made five. Next three, had a wild tee shot, bladed my chip, and then chipped on, leaving a 15 footer. Drained it for bogey. Last hole, tee shot was pin high, but right. Chip was a bit offline, leaving a 40 footer. Put it within three feet and saved par. Walked off with a 43. Very encouraging.

Robert has a nice swing and the game is cerebral enough that I think he could do well in it. I told him I could see him making the high school team if he keeps working at it. He responded that he wants to play basketball. I’ll keep gently encouraging him; at the least, we can spend nice afternoons together like today.

ECF54E30-A392-470A-9C10-548F834A4D0A.jpeg

826044FE-B994-417D-9AB9-533A2882C6D5.jpeg

Better resolution photo

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

• 2 weeks later...

Another beautiful day, another 9 holes! I asked Robert earlier this week if he wanted to play today instead of going to his sister’s second soccer game and he said no. Then yesterday, he changed his mind, and I got us an afternoon tee time.

We were paired with another father-son duo, although they were much older than us (probably late 50s and 30 versus early 40s/10). Robert and I again played the front tees; today, he did not pick up to shorten any holes. I’m proud of him for playing it honest. He also played all 9 holes this time, so that was an improvement!

Again, I am impressed with his swing. His shots do not move laterally. Today, we focused on him staying down on the ball to get some loft. He had plenty of worm burners, but also several good shots. I continue to hit the ball better - the ball mostly went where I wanted it to go, and when it didn’t, it was an easily identifiable mechanical issue.

Some highlights: first par 5 is short, with a creek splitting the fairway about 220 yards out, and it probably takes about 240 to carry. Last time, I laid up. Today, I was debating going for it or laying up again. I was wearing my No Laying Up hat, so Robert looks right at me and says, “Dad, no laying up.” Pulled out the driver, caught a little turf before the ball, still sent it straight, but right in the creek. LOL. Still made par. On the 6th, Robert outdrove our playing partners, hitting his best tee shot of the year. I almost drove the green. Both of us putted pretty well; on the 9th, Robert had an incredible lag putt of about 45 feet. He left it a foot from the hole.

But, the very best thing was that Robert enjoyed playing with our partners. He even said he hoped we could play with them again. For a kid who was reticent to play today, he had a big time. I am attaching a few photos- one is my tee shot on 6, one is Robert hitting a big drive, one is my new driver cover. Days like today are what make golf so fun.

D682535B-7870-4CE3-96C5-FFD49CD06B21.jpeg

1EA94BAF-A060-4672-8EB9-8B62E9A9A772.jpeg

848DE311-F31D-469F-8D1B-FCAA3B273371.jpeg

EE8AD47C-86C3-4A9E-AE80-DCDA29985A70.jpeg

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

• 3 weeks later...

Robert and I played nine today. I was feeling really good about my swing and my chances of breaking 40. As is required with golf, of course it didn’t go that way.

We were paired with a guy who had one leg amputated. Real nice guy - swings all with his arms. Robert had not seen someone with a prosthesis before. Good learning opportunity for him.

Robert had lots of good shots. Solid off the tee (mostly), lots of good iron shots. Not the best day putting. He had a really good attitude - focused on just making good hits. He opted not to keep score (except on one of the par 5s, as he made par).

Man, I lost six balls. I lost three combined over my last two games. What was wild was that I actually played okay (given the lost balls). I made my first ever eagle (drove the green on a par 5!). Robert and I both did a good job of not getting angry. This is new for me. Proud of Robert for also having a good attitude.

E70DCD60-669C-4699-8405-CE386BA8FE80.jpeg.38fed581d37bf7a03d989726614dfabf.jpeg

On our way home, we stopped for a snack. My dad used to take my brothers and me to lunch (or dinner) after we played. I like that Robert and I have a similar thing going here.

Also tried out my new Rovic RV1S push cart. Man, it was awesome. Really happy to have been gifted that.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

• 2 weeks later...

Big day for the Prodigals today. Robert joined the pushcart mafia and this was his first round. After our last round, I found a junior sized cart for $150. He agreed to split the cost, and it came last week.

4686CA5C-6D85-466E-964C-075ACE2E383C.jpeg.cc6815a55a25c469b2c60363c1ce3c98.jpeg

Because I am now testing the OnCore VERO X1 for MGS, we both had an excuse to get out on the course. The weather was beautiful (but sneaky hot). 

494D7A29-2DCA-4FB9-B1E7-3D152B0F4224.jpeg.59998d7199d2fe2ce7c2517efbddcfef.jpeg

I’ll get right to it - it was not a good scoring day for us. Robert had lots of good shots, but also lots of balls off the toe and struggles on the green. He got very angry, to the point that I could tell he wanted to throw his clubs. This is way out of character for him. I encouraged him to sit a hole, which he refused to do. Instead, he dug deep, adjusted his attitude, and played better. 

This was my first experience with the X1 balls. The biggest issue with my game is me. I tend to rush my shot, or instead of focusing on turning my torso, I am thinking about snapping my wrists, which then leads me to dip my shoulder and shank right. This happened several times today, cost me a ball (thankfully only one). I also had lots of good shots, especially off the tee. I think my driver is quickly becoming one of my strongest clubs. My putter let me down big time today - three 3-putts. 🤮

We played with friends - the dad is a 4 handicap, so quite good. He is great to play with, though. We walked and everyone had a great time, even if we could have scored better. We then hit the convenience store for some drinks and treats, which is becoming a post-round tradition. We talked about how the frustration with golf (a stupid game!) is so good for dealing with life. He gets it - I am so proud of him for having this awareness at such a young age.

C0636969-B4A3-48C1-BC2E-BD99B6526FA5.jpeg.0de8ab31216d854ac5e1c57864ec3a6f.jpeg

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Unexpected update on a Monday.

When we got home, I got my Birdieballs out. My daughter said she wanted to hit balls too. She did a great job of starting to make contact with the ball. Unexpectedly, my son came to join us. He brought a target and we all hit balls.

C5C56723-E2BB-4361-A28F-E70FAAD5676C.jpeg.9f556641b9f7f8247f85ecd9b11955dd.jpeg

My daughter even made a hole in one!

I had Robert work on lowering his back shoulder and creating lag (he has a consistent problem of topping the ball). Suddenly, he was getting great loft on his shots! He hit a ball toward me and I caught it, which gave him an idea: Birdieball baseball. We spent about 20 minutes hitting balls to each other and seeing if the other could catch it.

A great night for the Prodigal family.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Robert and I played 9 holes again today - it’s becoming a bit of a Sunday tradition. On our way to the course, he said he hoped we would not get paired with anybody. I think he feels more pressure when playing with strangers. He got his wish, it was just the two of us.

We had a great time. Both of us are hitting the ball much better, which helps. On hole 3, we both had good tee shots:

My 3 wood ended up going almost 300 yards. Robert got the top of it, but boy, if I had to miss, I’d want to miss like he did.

Robert had a goal to beat his score from last time (57). He tied it, but felt good because he was making much better contact. His putting is costing him and he knows it. He asked if we could play again next weekend. I reminded him that it’s Mother’s Day, but the wife just said we could play (if I take my daughter, too). Strongly considering it.

The way we’ve been playing together this year has far exceeded my wildest hopes for getting back into golf. It’s so much more enjoyable. If we both can get a bit better, then that’s just gravy.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

• 4 weeks later...

Robert and I played nine today. I’ve felt like I’m close to getting some things figured out that will let me post somewhat respectable scores. Today, I shot a 38 (front tees caveat). Hit the ball really well, only one shot where I was penalized, but it ended up costing me two strokes.

Robert hit the ball pretty well, too. He still won’t drop his back shoulder in his stance, so he hit lots of low screamers. But, they generally go pretty straight. He had a really good attitude and said he had a blast. We are playing a parent-child tournament over Father’s Day weekend, and he’s already excited about that. 

As usual, we were paired with some good guys. I’m really glad Robert is getting a chance to experience meeting new people and having fun with them on the course. The shot of the day was his last putt - he had a severe left to right downhill putt, and he drained it from about 10 feet. Our playing partners went nuts and gave him big fist bumps. Awesome stuff.

Robert said his goal was to shoot sub 56 and he shot a 49 (let’s just say he was very generous in not penalizing himself). We talked about how he will have to actually assess penalties when we play the tournament. But for now, the emphasis is on enjoying himself and getting better. Today, mission accomplished.

D97D96AB-930B-4E15-8A8B-EA54C6459617.jpeg.a34b782b948a7f22762dc13bbeb2d0de.jpeg

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

• 2 weeks later...

Big week for the prodigal family. My daughter started First Tee - I was a bit apprehensive because she has my temper and expectation for high performance. Apparently she loved it! She is so excited to play and wants to go play with her brother and me. 

CE337647-82D7-421B-9340-9A3A68D51042.jpeg.9a05f12e477ac03b4074398ac97dd125.jpeg

Naturally, she wants a different bag and I found a stand bag that has rainbows and many colors. She happened to see it on the google results and instantly pointed to it. What kind of dad would I be to refuse her?

My son and I played in a parent-child tournament this weekend. We were definitely among the worst teams. Yesterday, I “carried” our team, but we still shot a 96 (this was a low-score format). Robert had a tough time the first several holes. We then made a par and he made a birdie, and he started feeling a bit better. It really turned a corner when we said a prayer to St. Sebastian (patron of sports) and St. Andrew (patron of golf) that we would do our best and glorify God by doing so. We both played better and both parred the last hole. We were paired with a really good team who shot three under. The kid is a rising freshman in high school and looks like he could have a future, maybe college level.

Today, he was steady Eddie. I was all over the place. Hit many good shots, lots of bad shots, and couldn’t make a putt to save my life. Robert carried us, especially on the back nine. He was stoked and wants to play more. He also wants more clubs. I told him he needs to start getting the ball airborne and practice more and we can talk about filling out his set. Today’s team was about our level and they were really nice. We had a good time playing with them and cheering each other on.

79D6531A-D174-4969-B80D-B55926BDCA65.jpeg.53a0de15789c6868b8f930d245092bef.jpeg

He told me he thought what I did best was keep my temper. LOL, I did keep calm, so I’ll take it. Regardless, I had a good time on the course with him, and that is the whole point of me playing golf again.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

• 3 weeks later...

Another significant day for the Prodigals! I took my daughter out for her first-ever round at the local par 3. She was excited to sport her new bag, which is covered in rainbows. We had a lengthy discussion about how she should not expect to have a great score. Her response, “Can we get slurpees afterward?” Priorities.

Everyone had a tough first hole with no warm up, although my daughter had a good, straight tee shot. She was mad it didn’t make the green. Uh oh. She also complained that she had to carry her bag while her brother and I got to use push carts.

She had a little bit of a meltdown on the first hole. Despite a nice swing and okay tee shot on the second

22F4B464-3572-4DF6-993C-52D44EC795B0.jpeg.7d1b5025fa123e32fafbc1fed5c8ac03.jpeg

She still had a tough time with accepting her performance. Son had a similar issue on hole 2 - he hit a solid shot, but because the grass is dead, it ran all the way past the hole and through a fence.

18A8923E-2AA4-4B19-AFE0-5D23F5494EA5.jpeg.d6de1cf810f1b34078e8e0944e7a6298.jpeg

We used it as an opportunity to talk about overcoming challenges and unmet expectations.

It took several more holes, but everyone got it together. Both kids played a lot better, and so did dad. Daughter is sitting her and says she had fun. She also says she will play golf with me again, so that’s a win. Son also enjoyed himself and said he overcame his nemesis hole. My first three holes, I was hitting the ball like a chump. I was able to analyze what happened, reapproach my pre shot routine, and from that point on, hit the ball very well. 

All told, a great start to Independence Day for the Prodigal family.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

• 1 month later...

I’ve had a hectic summer and, so, haven’t been able to update the thread in quite a while. 

Late July, we went to Colorado. Kids and I played a scramble-style game against my two brothers and their kids. We came in last but had a good time together. Every person contributed, so that was a positive.

A couple of weeks ago, my son randomly asked if we could play golf. The three of us went out for nine holes, but my daughter elected not to play. She agreed to be our cheerleader.

IMG_3281.jpeg.0390db1de23a101dd712f9a0ab8addca.jpeg IMG_3282.jpeg.38937b80c20513c4997f5531118b05b0.jpeg

Robert played well, hit a lot of nice shots. He chose not to keep score, which helped him not pressure himself. I had some good shots and some bad shots. It’s been that kind of summer. Been dropping my right shoulder a fair amount and blocking the ball.

This past weekend, my daughter asked if we could play golf. They both enjoy it enough to ask to play, so I am calling that a win. This time, we went to a par 3 course. Robert was tired and decided to play only the even holes (and hole 3, which is his “nemesis”). Cece quit after hole 6. I had one bad hole where I went wide. Otherwise, my shots were straight, and if I missed, it was either long or short. I’ve been working hard at getting my basic swing mechanics down, and I feel like I’ve made a lot of progress, so I’ll take that as a win.

IMG_3286.jpeg.8c3dda98c2b71885d29dbc503040b787.jpeg

Robert starts First Tee on Tuesday. The First Tee of Fort Worth is trying a new model in which there are 2 coaches with a maximum of 12 players. It will look more like a focused small group lesson. I’ve been wanting to get the kids into focused lessons, so I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

• 4 months later...

It’s been quite some time since I’ve posted on this thread. The kids and I haven’t played really at all in several months. Fall sports and activities kind of got in the way.

I “resolved” to play once a month with them in 2024. We were going to play a few weeks ago, but aborted at the last minute because it was really windy (over 25 mph) and cool enough outside that I thought it was setting everyone up for failure. After all, my goal is still for the kids to grow to enjoy the game.

We made it out to our local par 3 today. Beautiful weather, sunny and about 60, with a light breeze. Daughter teed off first and hit right down the middle. Great start! 

Everyone played pretty well. Lots of good shots, and my son finally beat his nemesis hole. The tee shot must carry a small lake, and he has never cleared it. Today, he did. 

Son’s best shot of the day left him with a makeable birdie that he unfortunately missed on the edge:

IMG_3340.jpeg.42fffd70f96947d591e0c1468b89c588.jpeg

This year, I am tracking shots, and my strokes gained for putting was almost -6! I missed several 7-8 footers, all of them just off by a ball. I made every second putt. I thought I was good at putting, so this was quite humbling. Good news is that my other shots were pretty good, all positive in strokes gained. 

After the round, we headed to 7-Eleven for slurped, which is the Prodigal Family tradition. The clerk gave them to us for free, and this is probably the third or fourth time we got them gratis after golf. It was a nice capper lesson for the kids about being kind and generous, and they got the chance to show their gratitude.

Great start to 2024.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

• 4 weeks later...

A few updates. Son and I have been watching The Clone Wars; one day last week, he asked if I wanted to watch it. I said, no, I’m going outside to hit balls, and invited him to join me. He declined.

Went outside, then he came out and decided he wanted to play. We do a fun game that is basically shagging pop flies with the birdie balls. I’ll hit a ball or several to him, and he tries to catch it. He’ll hit it back. We had a big time.

IMG_8367.jpeg.e7a69530f1d7f4b3d3d02da75fa9cc2b.jpeg

IMG_8377.jpeg.bd927f9a17b9876ace148a1c81a85ea5.jpeg

Today, we played 18 with friends. Son got pretty frustrated early on (admittedly, so did I). But, we both worked through it, played better, and most importantly, enjoyed a beautiful day together.

IMG_3352.jpeg.b59f0a96564450cdc4f1c32bc0e77eff.jpeg

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

• 1 month later...

Took the kids to Top Golf today. Son loves it, was daughter’s first time. We started off with the “practice” game as a warm up, which we continued until our lunch arrived.

First game we played was Angry Birds. Daughter picked it. I thought it was really fun, and loved that it forced me to shoot at specific targets. Daughter did not like it because she got the fewest points. To be fair, she’s never had any real lessons and has played golf just a handful of times. Surprisingly, son was not a huge fan of it, either. 

So, we switched to a building block game. No matter where the shot goes, you get some kind of points. That was really fun for everyone. Daughter even won the last game, and now says she wants to have her birthday party (January!!!) at Top Golf.

Both kids improved their shots as we went along.

IMG_3424.jpeg.8f1671c6c5ccc9a23989728ff00448c7.jpeg

This was early; told her to try hinging wrists, and she then got more consistent contact.

IMG_3425.jpeg.7a399c12ce59b19b2c66617879edc6cc.jpeg

Both kids expressed interest in lessons after we finished. This was the kind of afternoon I envisioned spending with my kids when I took up golf.

IMG_3430.jpeg.1c180ec931af10cc29558f95213ab301.jpeg

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8