Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Swing Path: Draws, Slices, Pushes, Pulls

I did not know where to put this,but here we go.Lets say a driver with 1* open and if you are coming from inside with you swing the 1* open would help promote a draw? Is that correct? Would like to know.

A lot has been made lately (in the hardcore golfing community) about the laws that govern ball flight. The set of rules that most people have prescribed to are that swing path determines direction, and face determines spin. But lately people have been refuting that. Saying that swing path gives you spin, and face direction determines direction.

My best analogy is tennis: In tennis, when you want to hit a spin serve (for a righty) you aim to the right and cut across the ball to spin it back. The direction of the face determines the initial direction, and the path determines spin. Also, when you hit an obvious pull (no sidespin) in tennis, it is because the racket it closed, not because you over spin it by altering the path. Another tennis example is forespin. To produce forespin, you hit up on the ball with a neutral face, in other words, the hitting up motion produces the spin.

So what do you guys think?

(I would post links, but the only links I know of are from other forums, and I don't really want to cause any trouble)

• SPY VIP

This is an excellent thread for discussion.

My understanding of consensus is that out to in path and open face lead to slicing, and in to out lead and closed lead to hooks. Permutations of this come from when in the swing the ball is contacted and the combination of plane and face.

Club face is also engineered for spin through grooves. Adjusting face angle at impact will cause the grooves to grab at different angles and produce the corresponding spin characteristic.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

Well I was about to post those videos from the "Swing Path" thread, but that thread is about the same thing as this one.

I sent a message to Moecat to merge the threads...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I was taught that path determines slice/draw and face angle at impact determines the starting line. I believe that this is in line with what I've seen in those videos that were posted in the other thread.

They are in line with those videos, but not in line with modern teaching. Even the PGA Teaching Manual teaches that path determines starting line and face angle determines spin.

They are in line with those videos, but not in line with modern teaching. Even the PGA Teaching Manual teaches that path determines starting line and face angle determines spin.

The videos I posted are the new teaching, and have been proven by all the newer high tech gizmos. The PGA Teaching Manual over the last several years has contained the old and out-dated beliefs.

The videos I posted are the new teaching, and have been proven by all the newer high tech gizmos. The PGA Teaching Manual over the last several years has contained the old and out-dated beliefs.

If these "new" rules can be proven with physics, how is anyone still teaching the "old" way? More specifically, why is the PGA endorsing these wrong methods? Why don't they change?

If these "new" rules can be proven with physics, how is anyone still teaching the "old" way? More specifically, why is the PGA endorsing these wrong methods? Why don't they change?

The PGA is notoriously slow to change. Everything.

Archived