Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Re-shaft driver for 11 year old, what flex?

I'm wanting to re-shaft a Ping G10 driver I have for my 11 year old son to use.  All of his other clubs are listed as "Jr Flex" and I'm wondering if that plays closer to a ladies or senior flex?  Also, I don't really know how much cutting the shaft down from the butt end will alter flex.  For example, the G10 currently has the Ping TFC129 in "soft regular" (which I think was the equivalent to senior flex) and my first thought was just to cut required length from butt and leave it at that.  I at least hoped for better than what I had to do as a kid which was choke down with almost both hands on the steel of a regular length club 🤣

Thanks!

Jon

There’s no flex standard in golf so picking a ladies flex in one might be wrong flex while a senior flex in another could be a better fit.

This is the hard part about trying to repurpose non kids clubs for kids. It’s not a simple use this or use that.

The Ping heads are also heavier than other heads on the market so there’s weight to consider too. 

Unfortunately anyone here’s guess will be as good as one that you make

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

It'll probably be far easier and possibly the same cost to just get a used US Kids driver that's weighted and designed for an 11yo. When my son was in PGA Jr his pro said the absolute worst equipment thing he saw was parents cutting down adult clubs for their kids. Just get him a driver designed for him and let him have fun hitting it.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Ok, so now I'm thinking since I already have the club and it's a toss up on the shaft, what will it hurt to shorten it and see what happens.  My experience with the Jr clubs he's had so far is that the irons seem to be ok, but the woods are absolutely awful.  He currently has Jr drivers from Tour Edge and Cobra.  Both seem dead and the metal they're made of dents far too easier than any other club I've ever seen (and that's with normal use, not hitting rocks, etc).  I'm not sure if we're ready for the $230 Ping Prodi G jr driver, but thought the Ping I already had might be better.  I also recall another post here where someone mention same issue with the Cobra jr driver, and the results switching to something else.., can't seem to find it now.  Thanks for the help. 

Edited by Toro3150