Jump to content

Where Do You Play?


GolfSpy_APH

Recommended Posts

Was looking for the right thread to post part of the below in and couldn't find one that matched what I was looking for, which means we get a new one. Where Do You Play?

- Let us know where you have your membership or where you play most often.
- Tell us what the course is like, what the membership or clubhouse features.
- Why did you choose to play there?
- What were other options or was that about your only option?
- What benefits does your membership have?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For me I was stuck between 2 different options. There is a course close to me (about 20 minutes) has great facilities (Championship 18, 9 and 6 hole course, 2 large practice areas, large 2 end driving range with top tracer and more). However the course I will admit isn't my favorite. Monday to Friday membership is 1800 usd. 

There is another course that is 45 minutes away, much nicer higher class so to speak, a lot of variety in the holes and still has practice areas, but is more expensive at 3000 usd. However it is part of a package called PPG Courses which gives access to 9 other stellar courses in Switzerland at no extra cost. Most all the other courses are still 45 plus minutes away, but they are often 180 usd per round so I wouldn't ever go play them having to pay a green fee. 

I have been stuck between the two options for some time, with a second kid coming I don't want to drive that much and the extra cost even with those perks just was seemingly too much work and effort. I also figured if I wanted to I could use some of the money saved by getting a Otelfingen Membership and maybe play one or two of the other courses from time to time. I do have a friend who has joined one of them and that means if I played with him I get a member guest rate of I think 100 or so. 

However after talking with the Chef and the Curling Hall he mentioned that for only a extra 200 with the Otelfingen Membership you gain access to all the Migro courses. They have 6 other courses in the area and 2 are only about 35 minutes away. I have played half of the them and although they are often busy they are all good courses and offer great value. So for 2k I get access to great practice facilties (discount on range balls) playing privilege at 6 courses and the ability to play a lot closer. It certainly now is a no brainer and if I want to play the other courses I can simply organize with a friend and pay less. 

Golfing here is expensive so finding any sort of deal is huge and I think this is about the best I could possibly do. 

I haven't spent much time in the club house, but it is always busy with people for food and there is no beverage fee or whatever. The course itself is really busy, sometimes too busy, but when you pick the proper times it isn't that bad. 

Looking forward to hearing where all of you play and why! 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I currently play 2 muni courses. Both are in better than average shape and both of the layouts hosted pro tournaments in their day; one being the LPGA. One still currently hosts the State Amauter Regional Qualifier so the courses are no slouch; though the tees I play from are only about 6,000 yds. They are very inexpensive $35 to $50 depending on the time of the year. Both have lunchrooms that serve alcohol but in truth I hardly ever see anything stronger than a draft. One has a very nice  practice area for full shots including driver with full computerization. The other doesn't have a practice area other than a large practice green. Both courses allow tee teams 2 weeks in advance and have meeting areas that can be reserved.

I have been a member of a private course 20 minutes from my house  but found the conditions no better than I currently play and more importantly was very cliquish and difficult to get a tee time at prime time if you weren't inner circle. Many of my fellow senior players patronize the muni courses in facts if the windchill is over 40 the club plays all year round and always has at least 50 hard core players in the winter and upwards of 80 in season. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live in Hot Springs Village, AR, a large gated community with 9 golf courses, one of which is private.  I belong to the private Country Club.  The CC has a pool, lighted tennis courts, pickle ball courts, clubhouse, driving range, chipping area, putting practice green.  As a member, all amenities are included with a golf membership (we also have sports membership that includes all but golf and social membership that includes only the pool and clubhouse).  My dues also include 3 rounds a month for out of area guests.  Local guests can play with a member for $50 plus cart fees.  The course can be walked, although the hills can tire out anyone not used to walking.  The other courses in the area are not in as pristine condition as the private course, as expected, but they are in good condition and relatively decent courses.  With 8 public courses and 1 private course, there is significant variety in conditions.  The CC is hilly and a demanding course.  It used to host one of the Nike Tour events, but due to housing availability to the public and players, they no longer play here.  

One of the 8 public courses is 27 holes and another is a shorter executive course.  All of them have fair to decent practice areas available and all have pro shops and food available.  Annual membership can be obtained for all of the public courses at a fairly reasonable rate.  Daily greens fee on the public courses for residents is around $39 with a cart.  Not sure what the guest fees run, but they're not significantly higher.  For the most part, all of the courses are in decent shape (although a couple have dreadful sand (or lack of sand) bunkers.  Plenty of water hazards on most of the courses, some hilly, some flatter, some more difficult courses than others and some more relaxing for the novice golfers.

I can easily get a tee time at the club and play is typically under 4 hours.  I can also get a tee time at any of the other courses easily.  Play on the public courses is often longer than what we see at the country club, just due to more players and a lot of higher handicap and new players playing them.  I typically will play one of the other courses at least once a month during the season on the last Monday of the month with a group from our country club.  I will also play the other courses whenever our course is closed for outside tournaments or ladies tournaments on occasions. 

I live on the 18th fairway of the country club and drive my personal golf cart from my house to the course.  3 other courses are within golf cart driving distances and another is doable but a bit far (better have fresh batteries or a full tank of gas 🙂 ).  The remaining courses are too far to easily drive my cart to them.  

 

 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

 

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I played the majority of my golf this year at River Heights in Dekalb IL.  It's a nice muni for newer players and is run through the park district.  Besides the river that cuts through it and two other ponds, it's not terribly penal.  Several holes run adjacent to each other and most of the other holes have pretty wide landing areas.

It's also less than ten minutes away from my house and not too busy in the morning.  Owen and I work evenings so we can get there mid morning and ride nine in just over an hour.  If he doesn't want to join me, I can still walk eighteen in two and a half hours if I like.

There are few amenities here.  No range and only a small putting green.  Rarely do they offer cart service.  But it's $44 for 18 and a cart and they have several membership options.  We went with the Monday through Thursday deal this season for $370.  Tough to beat.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I play most of my rounds at a club called Redtail in Lakewood Illinois. It’s about 20/25 minutes from my house. It’s more of links style course.The course conditions are very nice.  Some nice elevation changes. Distances are fair if you play from the right tees. Greens roll true and are on the quicker side. Quite a few interesting holes. They switch tee boxes around quite a bit. Not just forward or back but also left or right. So you don’t get the same look and have to play holes a little differently depending where they have you teeing up from. A couple of par 4s with island games which makes for some fun decisions depending how confident you are  in your swing that day. Staff has always been great. They have a nice driving range with grass and very nice mats when they are needed. Putting green usually matches the greens on the course. Clubhouse is nothing to write home about but hopefully they are breaking ground on a new one soon. Rates are on the lower side for our area. Our group get’s senior memberships for  little over $200 and the rate is $36 weekdays and discounted weekend rates. 

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2022 at 1:38 PM, JerryB said:

I played the majority of my golf this year at River Heights in Dekalb IL.  It's a nice muni for newer players and is run through the park district.  Besides the river that cuts through it and two other ponds, it's not terribly penal.  Several holes run adjacent to each other and most of the other holes have pretty wide landing areas.

It's also less than ten minutes away from my house and not too busy in the morning.  Owen and I work evenings so we can get there mid morning and ride nine in just over an hour.  If he doesn't want to join me, I can still walk eighteen in two and a half hours if I like.

There are few amenities here.  No range and only a small putting green.  Rarely do they offer cart service.  But it's $44 for 18 and a cart and they have several membership options.  We went with the Monday through Thursday deal this season for $370.  Tough to beat.

I was at a Sub 70 event on Sunday. I overheard some guys talking about your course. They pretty much described River Heights like you did

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 12/3/2022 at 12:33 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Was looking for the right thread to post part of the below in and couldn't find one that matched what I was looking for, which means we get a new one. Where Do You Play?

- Let us know where you have your membership or where you play most often.
- Tell us what the course is like, what the membership or clubhouse features.
- Why did you choose to play there?
- What were other options or was that about your only option?
- What benefits does your membership have?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For me I was stuck between 2 different options. There is a course close to me (about 20 minutes) has great facilities (Championship 18, 9 and 6 hole course, 2 large practice areas, large 2 end driving range with top tracer and more). However the course I will admit isn't my favorite. Monday to Friday membership is 1800 usd. 

There is another course that is 45 minutes away, much nicer higher class so to speak, a lot of variety in the holes and still has practice areas, but is more expensive at 3000 usd. However it is part of a package called PPG Courses which gives access to 9 other stellar courses in Switzerland at no extra cost. Most all the other courses are still 45 plus minutes away, but they are often 180 usd per round so I wouldn't ever go play them having to pay a green fee. 

I have been stuck between the two options for some time, with a second kid coming I don't want to drive that much and the extra cost even with those perks just was seemingly too much work and effort. I also figured if I wanted to I could use some of the money saved by getting a Otelfingen Membership and maybe play one or two of the other courses from time to time. I do have a friend who has joined one of them and that means if I played with him I get a member guest rate of I think 100 or so. 

However after talking with the Chef and the Curling Hall he mentioned that for only a extra 200 with the Otelfingen Membership you gain access to all the Migro courses. They have 6 other courses in the area and 2 are only about 35 minutes away. I have played half of the them and although they are often busy they are all good courses and offer great value. So for 2k I get access to great practice facilties (discount on range balls) playing privilege at 6 courses and the ability to play a lot closer. It certainly now is a no brainer and if I want to play the other courses I can simply organize with a friend and pay less. 

Golfing here is expensive so finding any sort of deal is huge and I think this is about the best I could possibly do. 

I haven't spent much time in the club house, but it is always busy with people for food and there is no beverage fee or whatever. The course itself is really busy, sometimes too busy, but when you pick the proper times it isn't that bad. 

Looking forward to hearing where all of you play and why! 

Sorry, just now seeing this.  If I were you, I would join the course that is closer to you.  At 45 minutes away, although the course is nicer you will use it less...especially with a child on the way.  Look at it this way, most rounds are lets say 3-4 hours if the course is busy, add on almost two hours in travel time.  That means a good portion of your day will be spent at that course.  With the one that is only 20 minutes away, that's not too bad, even if you wanted to just hop over and play 9 holes or hit range balls.  Your family will appreciate the closer course.

   Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

     Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

                         9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

    Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Sorry, just now seeing this.  If I were you, I would join the course that is closer to you.  At 45 minutes away, although the course is nicer you will use it less...especially with a child on the way.  Look at it this way, most rounds are lets say 3-4 hours if the course is busy, add on almost two hours in travel time.  That means a good portion of your day will be spent at that course.  With the one that is only 20 minutes away, that's not too bad, even if you wanted to just hop over and play 9 holes or hit range balls.  Your family will appreciate the closer course.

Pretty sure this is where I settled. I have such limited time even before baby number 2 that spending all that extra time driving is no fun. Plus I have really enjoyed those that I played with at this closer course. Not a lot of elevation and it is pretty straightforward, but still a solid course that is worth playing regularly. 

Appreciate the response! Also no need to be sorry! These threads often get buried... in other good news they have a artificial putting green for kids to practice on and my wife is interesting in trying to play a bit this year so hoping we can make it a bit of a family thing. Plus with this particular membership it does not include weekends so I can make sure I have those open and free for family time and not have the temptation of going to sneak in a round when I should be home haha 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I play and am an annual pass holder at the Charleston Municipal Golf Course.  I love old school style courses.  Built in 1929.  I play in a senior men's league (The Rascals) on Monday /Wednesday/Friday and play on the clubs (Jenkins Links) interclub team.  Throughout the year we play at a different course the first Monday of each month against eleventh other clubs (ten players each).  I have been playing there since the early nineties.  With all the great courses available in SC and in particular along the coast, this works for me and I can always play others when the opportunity arises.  My favorites in the area are Country Club of Charleston, Bulls Bay, Yeahmans Hall, and The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island.  It pays to have friends.  Our municipal course is currently rated number 19 muni, by Golf.com, in the US.  Beau Hassler holds our course record for the current renovation that took place in 2020. https://golf.com/travel/courses/americas-30-best-municipal-golf-courses/.   

 

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I play wherever the internet takes me. It's just golf and playing the same course over and over is just not for me.

I will play anything from top notch to dog track, each having their own challenges. I don't care about a 15 million dollar clubhouse i.e. Redhill, just give me a decent track make it hard

and challenging..... I am happy....as long as its not a round that takes forever.

Spoiler
Spoiler

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are probably 7-10 courses within 5 miles of where I live which gives me a true luxury of being able to get out on a course. I currently am a member of Meadowlands and Glen Dornoch which have had the best membership deals and wonderful staff. Meadowlands is closer so I go there most often. I also play The Pearl which has 3 nine holes and is a fun/challenging layout. Unfortunately I don't have anyone to play with so I go out and join whichever group the Pro Shop teams me with. I do enjoy playing with different people and have met some really nice golfers.

Ray Eaton

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I played at the legends in Franklin Ind I say played because I am unable due to an injury right now. But I have gotten 6 years of unlimited golf walking for around $1000 total with some limitations but not many.I have shown up many times with no tee time I they have worked in the majority of the time The major downside is the members they don’t like people added to their 4 somes and they don’t have a men’s clubs for the membership that I have. But the course is in great shape and they keep the pace of play moving.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I joined our County course this month. It has been closed for a year and has been completely renovated. It is only 5 minutes from my house. 
Cost was $1200.00(100/mo). Play in men’s groups once or twice per week. Green fees are 7.00 if I walk, 21.00 to ride (18 holes)

Play with another group that travels to different courses. I read that there are 43 GC in our county (St. Johns, Florida). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am a member at GreatLife Golf and Fitness in Lebanon, MO.  It is the only course in town and the dues are less than $600 annually for a family.  I don't take advantage of the fitness center, but I do try to play golf twice on the weekends and at least once a week during league season.  

Ping G425 Max 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

PXG Gen 5 0311XF 8° w/Grafalloy ProLaunch 45 A-Flex

Ping G410 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Taylormade Spider X putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the Baltimore area we’re lucky to have some really good municipal courses.  I play the Baltimore city and county muni’s some that are excellent.  I also play the Montgomery county municipal course which are nice as well.  The last two year I have played in MISGA, Maryland interclub senior golf association where we play many private clubs through Maryland.  Great value and competition.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Fusion

3wood: Titleist 917F

5 wood: Titleist 917F

irons Titleist T350 5-pe

hybrids Taylormade 4 

wedges: Titleist SM8 50/54/58

putter: Scotty Cameron Newport slotback
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are a number of courses within a 30 minute drive of me in mid-Michigan.  For the past number of years I have been a member at Riverwood Resort (Mt. Pleasant) which is about a 10-12 minute drive from my house.  The "resort" in the title comes from a number of 1-2 bedroom "villa" accommodations on site used by traveling groups, a full restaurant and bar, pro shop, driving range, and 24-lane bowling center.  A couple of years ago, the owners bought a second course, The Pines at Lake Isabella, a 15-20 minute drive for me, also with pro shop, restaurant and range. 

The courses are distinctly different in style.  Both courses are included in the membership but there doesn't seem to be a lot of crossover in players -- the Pines folks tend to stay at the Pines (mostly because of the lake community), and the Riverwood folk stay there. 

Membership includes a bucket of balls each day, and an hour of free bowling that I am making use of on a near daily basis this winter.  2023 membership is $450 walking, $1050 riding -- no additional green fees or restaurant minimums.

I feel pretty lucky to have such affordable places to play.  And, yes, the season can be short(er) than other places, I still managed to get in the equivalent of 100 rounds last year (first round on April 3, most recent on December 13).

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Ping G410 (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, David Leighton Reid said:

I am a member at GreatLife Golf and Fitness in Lebanon, MO.  It is the only course in town and the dues are less than $600 annually for a family.  I don't take advantage of the fitness center, but I do try to play golf twice on the weekends and at least once a week during league season.  

Ah, I have lot of fond memories of scrambles or Cat and Dog tournaments at Lebanon about 25-30 years ago. Your club champion (CH) plays often at my home club, Silo Ridge G&CC in Bolivar, MO.

Silo Ridge is a private club, I do feel that yearly dues are one of best values for this kind of course in Missouri.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym 3HL & hybrid 21*

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, br61 said:

Ah, I have lot of fond memories of scrambles or Cat and Dog tournaments at Lebanon about 25-30 years ago. Your club champion (CH) plays often at my home club, Silo Ridge G&CC in Bolivar, MO.

Silo Ridge is a private club, I do feel that yearly dues are one of best values for this kind of course in Missouri.

Yes, I am well acquainted with Coop De Ville.  I have played Silo Ridge 4 or 5 times and have really enjoyed playing there.  I graduated from SBU many years ago, back when it was SWBC.

Ping G425 Max 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

PXG Gen 5 0311XF 8° w/Grafalloy ProLaunch 45 A-Flex

Ping G410 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Taylormade Spider X putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live in Williamsport, PA and spend most of my time at White Deer in Montgomery, PA and Wynding Brook in Milton, PA. 

I used to play at RedTail, Cary CC and Chalet Hills in NE IL, which has a wealth of golf offerings, being north of Chicago. 
 

I really miss the winter options in PA. There are no golf domes and only one simulator in this area.

Edited by Golf Dawg
Added to it

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2022 at 5:47 PM, Bossfan said:

I play most of my rounds at a club called Redtail in Lakewood Illinois. It’s about 20/25 minutes from my house. It’s more of links style course.The course conditions are very nice.  Some nice elevation changes. Distances are fair if you play from the right tees. Greens roll true and are on the quicker side. Quite a few interesting holes. They switch tee boxes around quite a bit. Not just forward or back but also left or right. So you don’t get the same look and have to play holes a little differently depending where they have you teeing up from. A couple of par 4s with island games which makes for some fun decisions depending how confident you are  in your swing that day. Staff has always been great. They have a nice driving range with grass and very nice mats when they are needed. Putting green usually matches the greens on the course. Clubhouse is nothing to write home about but hopefully they are breaking ground on a new one soon. Rates are on the lower side for our area. Our group get’s senior memberships for  little over $200 and the rate is $36 weekdays and discounted weekend rates. 

RedTail is still better than that course they separated from, when Lakewood took ownership. It might have a swankier clubhouse, but the rest of that place was meh.

We really liked Curt when he was at RT. Bull Valley is closer to home and a step up professionally. 

There are a wealth of golf options in NW Chicagoland alone. Cary, Chalet Hills, were nearby faves, with others not far away.

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, David Leighton Reid said:

Yes, I am well acquainted with Coop De Ville.  I have played Silo Ridge 4 or 5 times and have really enjoyed playing there.  I graduated from SBU many years ago, back when it was SWBC.

I tried to send you a PM from my end but it would not let me. Maybe I need more posts. Hopefully, you are the one that I knew from early 1980's. 

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym 3HL & hybrid 21*

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, br61 said:

I tried to send you a PM from my end but it would not let me. Maybe I need more posts. Hopefully, you are the one that I knew from early 1980's. 

I sent you a PM.  I graduated from SWBC in 1981.

Ping G425 Max 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

PXG Gen 5 0311XF 8° w/Grafalloy ProLaunch 45 A-Flex

Ping G410 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Taylormade Spider X putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I play out of Maple Dale Country Club and Wild Quail in Delaware, the good thing about being such a small state is I am close to every course in our state.  

   Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

     Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

                         9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

    Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, David Leighton Reid said:

I sent you a PM.  I graduated from SWBC in 1981.

Got your PM. It’s great getting in touch with you after 40 years and we’ll play a round soon. Small world! 

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym 3HL & hybrid 21*

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Golf Dawg said:

RedTail is still better than that course they separated from, when Lakewood took ownership. It might have a swankier clubhouse, but the rest of that place was meh.

We really liked Curt when he was at RT. Bull Valley is closer to home and a step up professionally. 

There are a wealth of golf options in NW Chicagoland alone. Cary, Chalet Hills, were nearby faves, with others not far away.

I played Turnberry last year and was not impressed. Yes they have a clubhouse but it was pretty run down and they had no food service. The course was in terrible shape. The layout was okay but if I didn’t have the gps on my phone we’d of had a hard time finding the next hole. The worst part was when I checked in the guy said there was only one cart available ( at 11:30 on an upper 50s November day). The guy behind me asked what he was supposed to do. He was told he would have to wait until the next one came in and it was his. Not sure if he stayed I was getting the last cart. You’re right there is a wealth of good golf options in the NW Chicago area.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Since 2009, I've been a member of & playing the Mannville Riverview Golf & RV Resort where every round is an adventure.  

Mannville Riverview GC, Hole 3, Par 3, 163 yds,b.jpg

Mannville Riverview GC, Hole 4, Par 5,g.jpg

Mannville Riverview GC, Hole 6, Par 4, 286 yds,b.jpg

Mannville Riverview GC, Hole 7, Par 4, 365 yds,aa.JPG

Mannville Riverview GC, Hole 7, Par 4, 365 yds,d.jpg

Taylormade SIM MAX 12* Driver

Callaway Great Big Bertha Hawkeye 3, 5 and 7 woods

Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 7 wood

Mizuno JPX-923 Hot Metal, High Launch irons, 6-PW, GW

Taylormade Milled Grind SW, 54*

Cleveland RTX-3, 60* LW

Cleveland Huntington Beach 6 Centre Shaft Putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was spoiled in my twenties with all kinds of great country clubs and resorts. However, moving home reminded me why I fell in love with golf as a child. I grew up on an old muni course in Bedford, Indiana known for its tiny greens and hilly layout. And that is where I am a member yet again. 

Otis Park Golf Course is located in Southern Indiana. Originally a 9 hole course built in the early 1900's, quickly became an 18 hole layout. It is a municipal course so the greens are slow and it is not kept up like a nice country club; however, they do a great job of keeping it in good shape. There is a ton of character. Older clubhouse and a cheap rate regulated by the city so many can afford to play. 

My other options that I will utilize down the road include PFAU Indiana University Course and Sultans Run. However, both are over a 30 minute drive and cost more than I am willing to spend on a membership right now. In southern Indiana it is better to travel and play than commit to one expensive option as there are very few country clubs. 

 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 8.5

3+ fairway: Callaway Epic Speed

2 hybrid: Apex Pro

Irons: 3-PW Apex Pro 21/ MB Combo

52, 56 Wedges: Cleveland Zip-Core

Putter: SeeMore mFGP

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/3/2022 at 11:33 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Was looking for the right thread to post part of the below in and couldn't find one that matched what I was looking for, which means we get a new one. Where Do You Play?

- Let us know where you have your membership or where you play most often.

Member at Prairie Highlands Golf Course in Olathe, KS (Southwest KC area)

- Tell us what the course is like, what the membership or clubhouse features.

Challenging but fair links style course.


- Why did you choose to play there?

Fun course, affordable, other members are a ton of fun to play with.


- What were other options or was that about your only option?

Numerous options in the area, I went with PH for the reasons listed above

 

 

 

Driver: Taylor Made BRNR Mini-driver, 11.5 loft reg flex

5 wood: Sub 70

7 wood: Sub 70

Driving 2 iron: PXG 0311 X, reg flex graphite

5-PW: Callaway Paradyme, 1/2" over, neutral lie, reg flex.

50/54/58 deg wedges: PXG 0311 forged

Putter: PXG GEN 1 Brandon, 35" shaft.

Ball: Vice Pro Zero

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am going to be getting a membership to foxcliff in Martinsville Indiana. It is a nice course I think so anyway. You get unlimited golf tee times, cart usage, and range. I believe you also get priority tee times. There are plenty of courses around me but this one appealed to me because the atmosphere there nice laid back the other places we’ve been to are such a rush almost can’t even enjoy it.

I have 3 dogs, I have 3 different hobby level rc, I try to golf as much as possible. At the moment my handicap is 25.1, and improving. Been golfing for about 10 years but only regularly for about 2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I play at Westwood CC in Vienna, VA.   Very nice course, easy to walk.  Course maintenance is excellent.  The greens are fast and fair.  Slope 132 par 71.   I also belong to Championsgate  CC in Orlando area.   Nice course.  Not too challenging because even the rough is very payable.  Allows me to spray the drives a little and still recover.  Slope is 128 (I think) par 72.   Favorite course that I play regularly (one week every year) is Teeth of the Dog in Casa De Campo Dominican Republic.  I definitely need the caddies to read the greens because of the grain.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...